PDA

View Full Version : UNT Game Reactions

faithintsu
10-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Ok - A win is a win, but....

Carl meadows is awful. I am now off my Carl Meadows high horse (much to the delight of TrojanWar) and am ready for us to try the next guy. Obviously we can run the ball - and the emergence of this Anthony Jones is great. Keep Joel W. on the bench, and leave him there. He has way too many problems fumbling the ball.

Defense was great tonight!! The return of Luverne Johnson really put some fire in our boys and allowed us to play good solid defense. Although, we do need to improve tackling.

Overall a good game, and solid win and I am happy for our Boys - they played a hell of a game!!

BMarkey
10-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Wow, I'm bushed but it was great to see Troy get an away win ands break UNT's 26-game conference streak.

TSUBaggs and I met a lot of great Troy folk and some extremely friendly UNT people at the tailgate party. We got a bit of grief in our Troy garb from some students, but all in all, they were great.

Man, it was hot.

We were worried we would be the only Troy fans there, but there must have been 100-200 Trojans on hand making lots of noise.

The players certainly appreciated it, coming near the stands and gesturing to the Troy supporters after the game.

I have lot of observations - ranging from the Dallas area to UNT's campus and stadium, shutting out the stadium lights during the Blakeney post-game interview, fireworks and all. They'll come later. I'm beat and we have to board a plane in a few hours.

The trip was quick but lots of fun and I have some good pics to post soon. Can't wait.

The SunBelt title WILL be ours (assuming we can learn to score from the red zone and carry the football).

Congrats guys!

goe1975
10-05-2005, 07:29 PM
The SunBelt title WILL be ours (assuming we can learn to score from the red zone and carry the football).

Aint that the truth. How many times did we run it down their throats all the way down the field and then not score a touchdown?

ThePowerMan
10-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Who is the QB coach this year? I know Meadows is having a hard time and I wonder if he is being prepared for the games like he should. I know being QB is probably about 80% talent and 20% preparation and he seems to lack both.....BUT I am not sure if he knew where the routes were suppose to be. For the last few years it seems that the only pass play we know is the BOMB. Take Silicon Valley Bowl for instance. I remember about 3 years ago that Auburn had a QB that seemed to not have a clue about what was going on. The next year was much the same and then came offensive coordinator #3 and last year he was mentioned for Heisman and in the top of the draft. Maybe we need a change at QB coach or OC (although I thought MF did a fair job getting players open down field in the 1st half).

BillyRubin
10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Carl meadows is awful. I am now off my Carl Meadows high horse (much to the delight of TrojanWar) and am ready for us to try the next guy. Obviously we can run the ball - and the emergence of this Anthony Jones is great. Keep Joel W. on the bench, and leave him there. He has way too many problems fumbling the ball.

I caught hell for saying this a few weeks ago. I went to the opener against Cal Poly and the USC game in Columbia and watched these two in TX and they have not improved any whatsoever. Thank goodness LB decided to give 21 some much needed time on the pine. Now if we could just get a QB we would truly have a great chance at being a good young and improving football team. I cringed last nigh every time Meadows started to throw or appeared to resemble scrambling....most of the time for good reason.

I am proud of them in general and hope we will continue to play Cattouse and Jones. Those young guys showed their metal last night and earned some playing time I think.

The defense did a very respectable job and deserves credit for holding them for most of the night as well.

It ain't over yet though...it's just the beginning of the conference season and we have alot of improving to do. We just have to leave 21 ridin' the pine, run the other guys and not call many passing plays giving Meadows a chance to turn the ball over.

nasupporter
10-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Ok - A win is a win, but....

Defense was great tonight!! The return of Luverne Johnson really put some fire in our boys and allowed us to play good solid defense. Although, we do need to improve tackling.

Overall a good game, and solid win and I am happy for our Boys - they played a hell of a game!!

"obviously we can run the ball" --- True, but my worry is every coach in the conference knows that also,,,and they also know we have no passing attack. How long can we run and be successful when everybody on defense is within 3 yards of the line of scrimage to stop the run? We need a short passing game with screens and hitting the backs on safe short passes etc.. GO TROY TROJANS!

Troy87
10-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Powerman,

Fleetwood is both the OC and QB Coach. That should tell you a lot about how well our QB has been prepared.

Big Time Football
10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Nasupporter,

You nailed it. MF is not calling pass plays that are friendly to Carl. Throwing deep outs and fly plays are good for Carl, especially early in the game. Try some dumps, some slants, some backs releasing out or behind the linebackers, etc. to help get Carl into rhythm, then start opening it up as he gains confidence.

When did a punter ever understand offense or defense for that matter