PDA

View Full Version : Crime Wave

TrojanWarrior418
04-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Now I know the reasoning behind the saying "ignorance is bliss". Over the past month or so it seems like every other day the City of Troy is having to deal with crime after crime. First is was the sexual assaults in Hunter's Mountain where two women were victims and the suspect is still out there (with a $25,000 reward out there for his capture), then a student was robbed late night on campus outside the Math and Science Complex (to which there has been an arrest), then shots fired last Friday in a trailer park, now a home invasion in another Mobile Home park where police have arrested a 14-year-old (http://www.troymessenger.com/2012/04/13/one-home-invasion-suspect-arrested/)

What in the world is going on down there? Yes there was crime down there when I was a student, I can't tell you how many times that string of gas stations on Brundidge street got robbed while I was down there. And I know just because a crime happens and doesn't make the paper or television it's not to say it didn't happen, in fact I'm glad the media is covering these stories because it's bringing this problem to our attention and maybe something will be done about it.

Or should I say I hope something is done about it? Because if this trend continues this could hurt enrollment at Troy University, would you want to send your child to a school where they could be robbed at gun point if they are out too late on campus? Or let them live in a city where a rapist is out on the loose?

I really help the Boys and Girls Club of Troy is helping out the younger kids by keeping them off the streets and out of trouble. It's too late for this latest round of riff raff. The only thing we can do for them is send them on a tour of Kilby Prison in Montgomery and let them figure out if they get sent there they'll be the bottom of the prison food chain and won't be so tough to those guys in there.

I know I'm rambling now but I'm just so mad that a bunch of thugs are ruining the town and school I love.

dgoebel
04-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I agree that there has been a rash of crime, but Troy is not immune to it. I live in Ocala, FL which is about the size of Dothan with 300,000 in the county. There has been a increase in all kinds of crime...from people stealing copper out of A/C units to 5 teenagers murdering another teen, burning his body, stuffing it in paint cans and dumping it in a quarry to 38 arrested for dealing in oxycodone. Signs of the time. America is losing its morals, the economy is down, gas prices are up etc. Our son is starting Troy in August and he was considering UCF. I will take the safety of Troy, AL and Troy University any day over the criime in Orlando and on campus at UCF.

The robbery, while bad, happened at 1:30 in the morning. You don't need to be walking campus at 1:30 A:M. Troy has taken steps to beef up security and I seen where they will run the shuttle service 7 days a week now.