PDA

View Full Version : Petrino out at Arkansas

TrueTrojan
04-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Reports out of Arkansas are that Bobby Petrino is out as HC of the Razorbacks.

Who's the next coach?

Hemi Man
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Malzahn?

CHughes1102
04-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Malzahn?

Correct.

quietstorm
04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas has fired Bobby Petrino, saying he "knowingly misled" the university and engaged in reckless behavior in a relationship with a female football employee half his age.

The 51-year-old Petrino was injured in an April 1 motorcycle accident. He was put on paid leave last week after admitting he lied about the presence of the 25-year-old employee, Jessica Dorrell, who had been riding with him.

More From ESPN.com
Arkansas had to choose between winning at any cost or firing a dishonest Bobby Petrino. AD Jeff Long made the right call, writes Tim Keown. Story

Athletic director Jeff Long says Petrino misled him and gave Dorrell $20,000 at one point, though he said he couldn't disclose what it was for. He says Petrino was fired "with cause" -- meaning he will not receive a multimillion-dollar buyout -- and there were no discussions about ways to keep Petrino at Arkansas.

Assistant head coach Taver Johnson had been placed in charge of the program while Petrino was on leave and sources told ESPN.com's Chris Low that Johnson will remain in charge. The sources said that Long has informed the coaching staff that he would like to keep the assistants in place through the rest of spring practice and then open up the coaching search to see what options are available at this point.

Dorrell, who has yet to comment publicly since the accident, was hired March 28 by Petrino as the student-athlete development coordinator after serving as a fundraiser with the Razorback Foundation. A former Arkansas volleyball player, Dorrell is in charge of organizing the recruiting process for the football team, including initial eligibility for each incoming player.

Long declined to comment on Dorrell's job status Tuesday.

Petrino signed a new seven-year contract in December 2010 after completing his third regular season at Arkansas. The contract, for an average of $3.53 million annually, had a clause in it that would allow Arkansas to dismiss Petrino for "engaging in conduct, as solely determined by the university, which is clearly contrary to the character and responsibilities of a person occupying the position of head football coach or which negatively or adversely affects the reputation of the (university's) athletics programs in any way."

A police report released Thursday said Petrino was riding with Dorrell when he lost control of his motorcycle. Dorrell said in the report that she wasn't sure what caused the accident, during which Petrino was unable to maneuver a turn and laid the motorcycle down on its left side while sliding off a rural, two-lane highway about 20 miles southeast of Fayetteville.

Petrino said in the report that wind and sun caused the accident. The police report said Petrino and Dorrell were taken by a passer-by to an intersection in southeast Fayetteville, where Arkansas State Police Capt. Lance King, who was often assigned to protect Petrino, took the coach to the hospital.

The police report said Dorrell wasn't taken to a hospital, and that she was dropped off at her vehicle parked at the intersection. State police spokesman Bill Sadler said Petrino didn't try to hide Dorrell's part in the accident when questioned on Tuesday.

"Coach Petrino was as cooperative as anybody that we could ever hope to encounter following the traffic crash," Sadler said.

Petrino, who wasn't wearing a helmet, was hospitalized and had since returned to practice. The police report said he will not be cited for the accident that occurred near the small town of Crosses on a road popular with motorcyclists. Petrino has said he has been an avid rider since he was 10, and the Helena, Mont., native said several years ago that he owned a Harley-Davidson and four other motorcycles.

quietstorm
04-10-2012, 07:58 PM
That would be perfect for Gus but sad for Arkansas State and the Sun Belt. Gus is from Arkansas. I'm sure he would be a top candidate.

quietstorm
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM
The SEC has a few scandals the last few years.

Georgia athletic director got fired a few years back over a similar incident but he had a DUI. I'm glad the Sun Belt has integrity.

quietstorm
04-10-2012, 08:06 PM
If Gus stays at Arkansas State, I think his heart is in the right place. If he leaves, he was only using Arkansas State as a stepping stone.

TrueTrojan
04-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Early names being thrown around include:

Garrick McGee (Current UAB HC/ex-Ark OC)
Gus Malzahn (Current Ark St HC/ex-Auburn OC/ex-Ark Asst)
Butch Davis (ex-UNC/Miami HC)
Gary Patterson (Current TCU HC)
Skip Holtz (Current S.Florida HC)
Dave Wannstedt (Current Buffalo Bills DC/ex-Pitt HC/ex-Dolphins HC)

TrojanWarrior418
04-11-2012, 05:18 AM
Reports out of Arkansas are that Bobby Petrino is out as HC of the Razorbacks.

Who's the next coach?

Guess Petrino will have plenty of time to ride his hog now.

TrueTrojan
04-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Guess Petrino will have plenty of time to ride his hog now.

Best one liner I've heard so far is...

"Petrino out as a Razorback, still a pig"

TrueTrojan
04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Early names being thrown around include:

Garrick McGee (Current UAB HC/ex-Ark OC)
Gus Malzahn (Current Ark St HC/ex-Auburn OC/ex-Ark Asst)
Butch Davis (ex-UNC/Miami HC)
Gary Patterson (Current TCU HC)
Skip Holtz (Current S.Florida HC)
Dave Wannstedt (Current Buffalo Bills DC/ex-Pitt HC/ex-Dolphins HC)

Just wanted to add to the above list...

Tommy Bowden (ex-Clemson HC)
James Franklin (Current Vanderbilt HC)
Hugh Freeze (Current Ole Miss HC)
Paul Rhoads (Current Iowa St HC)
Kirby Smart (Current Alabama DC)
Charlie Strong (Current Louisville HC)
Tommy Tuberville (Current Texas Tech HC)

I know this is a very large list, but I will keep it updated as things narrow down.

Just my .02 cents...Garrick McGee, James Franklin, Butch Davis & Charlie Strong would be the guys I would keep an eye on.

Lego
04-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Malzahn was not proved anything as a Tier 1 SEC HC. (his offense would not work on a consistent basis in the SEC. And yes, it worked with Cam Newton, but there will be only a few Cam Newtons that come around).

- Huge mistake for the Hogs to hire Malzahn. But I do think he would do very well in a Big East, CUSA, WAC/MWC environment.

- Freeze. Really ? That's like putting CLB on the list

I beleive the only ones with validity on your list are:
- Skip Holtz (Current S.Florida HC)
- Garrick McGee (Current UAB HC/ex-Ark OC)
- Charlie Strong (Current Louisville HC)

Huge problem though is it's April, so they might have to shoot something that is "out of the box"

Troy79
04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Malzahn was not proved anything as a Tier 1 SEC HC. (his offense would not work on a consistent basis in the SEC. And yes, it worked with Cam Newton, but there will be only a few Cam Newtons that come around).

- Huge mistake for the Hogs to hire Malzahn. But I do think he would do very well in a Big East, CUSA, WAC/MWC environment.

- Freeze. Really ? That's like putting CLB on the list

I beleive the only ones with validity on your list are:
- Skip Holtz (Current S.Florida HC)
- Garrick McGee (Current UAB HC/ex-Ark OC)
- Charlie Strong (Current Louisville HC)

Huge problem though is it's April, so they might have to shoot something that is "out of the box"

The one that makes the most sense is Garrick McGee. Depending how his contract reads, this would be a seamless move for the Razorback program as they all know him and he knows all the assistant coaches. There would literally be no turnover on the current staff. My guess is the Blazer Nation is sweating pellots right about now....

Go TROY!

TrueTrojan
04-11-2012, 02:30 PM
The one that makes the most sense is Garrick McGee. Depending how his contract reads, this would be a seamless move for the Razorback program as they all know him and he knows all the assistant coaches. There would literally be no turnover on the current staff. My guess is the Blazer Nation is sweating pellots right about now....

Go TROY!

Everything depends on what the vision of the Arkansas administration is. Do they focus on "Win Now" or "Build for the Future"? They obviously have alot of talent this year & would have been pre-season Top 10 (still might be).

Win Now = Garrick McGee (seamless transition as mentioned above)

Build for the Future = James Franklin (strictly my opinion)

If it was me...I would stick with an interim for the year & use the extra time to make the right hire. Especially if they plan to go after an existing HC like Franklin. I can't see him leaving Vandy high & dry at this point in the year.

tntrojan
04-12-2012, 11:13 AM
I told you adding Ga State would get us some press in the Atlanta media...
Okay, joking, but this articles mentions the woman involved tweeting Petrino on the day we played them.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/petrino-woman-exchanged-100s-1414419.html

Re the coaching carousel: Would be interesting if the UAB coach bolts this close to the season. Man I hope we stomp some butt at Legion Field in September.

Go Troy!

JonesOxygen
04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
I am certainly pulling for UAB's guy to get offered. Have heard a deal is in the works, but you know how that goes. Speaking of Petrino, I saw where he also had another "Texting" buddy, "Miss Motorcycle Mania". Could he be a wanna be Tiger Woods who lived two completely separate lives? What a loser!

TrojanWarrior418
04-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Re the coaching carousel: Would be interesting if the UAB coach bolts this close to the season. Man I hope we stomp some butt at Legion Field in September.

Go Troy!

I do too, but I'm bringing my camera and a tape measure just in case.

CHughes1102
04-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I do too, but I'm bringing my camera and a tape measure just in case.

Hahahaha I think we all should.

JPSousa1898
04-13-2012, 12:03 AM
That should be a new tradition of ours... seamstress's measuring tape and cameras being brought to UAB games lol

Douglas
04-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Let me shoot down a couple names right out of the gate...

Coach McGee will remain at UAB at least through this year. He needs to get at least 2 years of D1 HC experience before he can lead an SEC program.

Coach Malzahn is still far too polarizing figure to bring back to the Razorbacks. Unproven as a HC at the D1 level. Most still question his offensive scheming (often called gimmicky). Understand that I am one of his biggest supporters, so it really pains me to have to say what I said. He's at the right place at the right time, currently.

All signs are pointing to one of the assistant coaches being named as Interim Coach. The three big names that keep coming up: Paul Petrino, Tim Horton, Paul Haynes. There's talk of bringing in a big name to operate as a CEO style coach.

This would keep this team intact, running the system they've become accustomed to over the past 4 years. This would also allow AD Long and the CEO HC to identify candidates within the existing coaching ranks that could become a permanent HC, or if the Hogs would need to go outside the organization for its new HC.

Several national media types that I interact with have all said that had this job been one of the nearly 23% of available jobs last year that this would have been one of the top 3 jobs in the nation.

Several have informed me that if we can go the Interim HC route for 2012-13 that we would see several big name candidates popping up.

The only issue with going the IHC route is that it could potentially hurt recruiting for the 2013 NSD, however, that could potentially be countermanded by bringing in a huge name to act as CEO HC.

One name that keeps creeping up on my table is LSU's DC Chavis. Yes, I know this would be contrary to what I said about McGee and Malzahn (lack of D1 HC experience), however, of all of the available * Coordinators, next to Paul Petrino, Chavis has the expertise of what it would take to produce, especially if he were to retain a majority of the current staff.

Hope this sheds some light on this otherwise clustermuck situation.

(Yes, I'm speaking as a Hog fan... but I'm also speaking as a stuident of the game itself).

TrueTrojan
04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Just a few tidbits that have been passed down in the last couple of days...

- Garrick McGee is still a very viable option on the table at this time (all due respect to the post above)

- Gary Patterson is all but off the table as a possibility. Doesn't look like he'd be interested at this point with TCU now moving to a BCS conference. Very happy with his current situation.

- "A couple of NFL names" have been mentioned as having interest but absolutely nothing more than "interest" at this point (I wasn't told specific names but will pass it along if I get them)

Bottom Line: AD Long is still weighing every option & hasn't made a concrete decision as to which direction he'll go. This is the sole reason that not much info has been available. He is adamant that this is HIS decision & will treat it that way at the end of the day. Once he decides whether to 1) go after a new HC now or 2) name an Interim HC for the season & use the extra time to make the hire things will start to open up & move in a more clear direction. FWIW the current staff wants option 2 & has said as much.

One thing for sure is he will not be hiring from within.

Douglas
04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
I've heard contrary (Gotta love Politics... ::sighs::) about McGee. Many of the Hog fans would welcome him back, however, there are some skeletons in McGee's closet that has to be addressed (hence the stupid politics).

NOTHING will be announced until AFTER the Spring Game. The week prior to a school's spring game, Assistant Coaches are allowed to travel for recruiting purposes, however, the head coach cannot. Since both Paul Petrino and Tim Horton are amongst the best recruiters, and Paul Haynes is pretty good as well, if any of 'em get tagged for an Interim Head Coaching position, the Hogs would lose one of their strongest (top) recruiters.

John Daly (PGA Golfer) has been lobbying hard for Jon Gruden (currently a FB analyst on ESPN) to lead the Hogs. And many Hog fans would be very pleased with this... not all, but many.

The one thing that has remain constant in ALL of this is that the core croup of coaches and current plays has to remain intact and in place for the 2012-13 season. It's far too late to start learning a new system, and with the entire Redshirt and True Juniors returning as Seniors, you have a *very* experienced team coming back... ones that know the system inside and out.

It should be noted that Sr. Tyler Wilson and Jr. Knile Davis (well, Sr/Jr next FB season, haha) have emerged as true leaders of the team. We even have a couple incoming freshmen that have reached out to ALL of the other incoming freshmen to keep that group together.

By the way, one incoming Freshman is quickly becoming a Hog fan favorite. If you follow Vin Ascolese (@Ascolese11) (http://twitter.com/ascolese11) on Twitter, he's one of the incoming freshmen keeping that group together.

TrueTrojan
04-17-2012, 12:21 AM
I've heard contrary (Gotta love Politics... ::sighs::) about McGee. Many of the Hog fans would welcome him back, however, there are some skeletons in McGee's closet that has to be addressed (hence the stupid politics).

NOTHING will be announced until AFTER the Spring Game. The week prior to a school's spring game, Assistant Coaches are allowed to travel for recruiting purposes, however, the head coach cannot. Since both Paul Petrino and Tim Horton are amongst the best recruiters, and Paul Haynes is pretty good as well, if any of 'em get tagged for an Interim Head Coaching position, the Hogs would lose one of their strongest (top) recruiters.

John Daly (PGA Golfer) has been lobbying hard for Jon Gruden (currently a FB analyst on ESPN) to lead the Hogs. And many Hog fans would be very pleased with this... not all, but many.

The one thing that has remain constant in ALL of this is that the core croup of coaches and current plays has to remain intact and in place for the 2012-13 season. It's far too late to start learning a new system, and with the entire Redshirt and True Juniors returning as Seniors, you have a *very* experienced team coming back... ones that know the system inside and out.

It should be noted that Sr. Tyler Wilson and Jr. Knile Davis (well, Sr/Jr next FB season, haha) have emerged as true leaders of the team. We even have a couple incoming freshmen that have reached out to ALL of the other incoming freshmen to keep that group together.

By the way, one incoming Freshman is quickly becoming a Hog fan favorite. If you follow Vin Ascolese (@Ascolese11) (http://twitter.com/ascolese11) on Twitter, he's one of the incoming freshmen keeping that group together.

Great insight! I completely agree that this is NOT the time for a team with the talent Arkansas has to try & tackle a new system. The core in place rivals that of any school in the nation going into the season & I would hope that would be embraced moving into the season.

One thing I actually just caught wind of (you may already know) is whispers that a new HC could actually be in place & named AT the spring game on Sat. Any insight into the credibility of this?

I know the rumor mills can start turning at a rapid pace in these types of situations so I typically take the "believe it when I see it" approach. Just throwing it out there...

Douglas
04-17-2012, 01:34 AM
Great insight! I completely agree that this is NOT the time for a team with the talent Arkansas has to try & tackle a new system.Thanks for the kind words, TT.

One thing I actually just caught wind of (you may already know) is whispers that a new HC could actually be in place & named AT the spring game on Sat. Any insight into the credibility of this?Actually, if you read my tweets, I've been talking about that this evening. I'm actually going into detail a bit more with one of my favorite national sports media personalities right now via email. And yes, I've got a couple of the names already, and know approximately how much we're willing to spend on this guy... no figures except to say that he'd be one of the top four highest paid coaches in CFB. Could potentially be in the top 3.

I know the rumor mills can start turning at a rapid pace in these types of situations so I typically take the "believe it when I see it" approach. Just throwing it out there...No worries... that's all CFB is during the off season, haha! I was rather active in monitoring the SEC, Big 12 and ACC expansions... and gained nearly 700 West Virginia and Rutgers followers because of the inside contacts and insight I was sharing.

(WVU royally screwed up a very good thing... should have been more patient for an SEC invite, IMHO) :D

FYI, GridironHistory does have more of a tie to the SunBelt than you think. Its parent company, LRB SportsMedia, Inc. (owner of Hogville.net) just completed year two of a 4 year exclusive radio broadcast rights contract for the Sunbelt Basketball Conference Championships. :)

TrueTrojan
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Actually, if you read my tweets, I've been talking about that this evening. I'm actually going into detail a bit more with one of my favorite national sports media personalities right now via email. And yes, I've got a couple of the names already, and know approximately how much we're willing to spend on this guy... no figures except to say that he'd be one of the top four highest paid coaches in CFB. Could potentially be in the top 3.

I don't doubt the big time $$ idea at all. It never hurts to have a little Jerry Jones money laying around (among others)...

FYI, GridironHistory does have more of a tie to the SunBelt than you think. Its parent company, LRB SportsMedia, Inc. (owner of Hogville.net) just completed year two of a 4 year exclusive radio broadcast rights contract for the Sunbelt Basketball Conference Championships. :)

I should've read your brief bio at the bottom earlier. Had no idea what your ties were. Great to have you contributing to the board.

:thumb:

TrueTrojan
04-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Any chance the $1.25 million donated today to Arkansas by the Reynolds Foundation has anything to do with ponying up funds?

Douglas
04-17-2012, 02:50 PM
I should've read your brief bio at the bottom earlier. Had no idea what your ties were. Great to have you contributing to the board.I may be a Razorback fan, and yeah, I may love ragging on LSU, Auburn and Texas, but the simple fact of the matter is that I love the game itself, and the more I dig into the history of every program, the more I learn, the more I love the game. Such a vicious circle, haha!

I don't doubt the big time $$ idea at all. It never hurts to have a little Jerry Jones money laying around (among others)...
Any chance the $1.25 million donated today to Arkansas by the Reynolds Foundation has anything to do with ponying up funds?Well, as you can see, it's not just Jerrah, but the Reynolds Foundation (RRS is named after the person who's family runs the foundation), but also the Tysons (Tyson Chicken), the Waltons (WalMart, Sam's Club), the Hunts (JB Hunt Trucking Group), and Stephens (Stephens Media). There are several more very prestigious names, but those are the more prolific names involved.

Right now, the rumor mill is that the official offer is in Gruden's hands... could have an answer tomorrow. Which would coincide with being able to announce him on Saturday. Then again, it could be a smoke screen... but if you're doing a smoke screen on a name as big as Gruden's, you better have a HC candidate that's an even BIGGER name lined up.

It wouldn't surprise me if part of the Reynold's contribution was going towards the final deal for a big name coach to come in, however, you've got to understand that the Hogs are prepared to throw out a pretty hefty chunk of change for the perfect coach... and that coach better not have ANY baggage with 'em.

TrueTrojan
04-17-2012, 03:01 PM
I know Gruden agreed to a 5 year deal with ESPN to remain on MNF back in late 2011. Any idea if that contract has any clauses to keep him "off the market"?

Also, ESPN obviously sees tremendous value in Gruden (hence the contract & the increased feature work)...will the SEC & ESPN relationship play into this, as well?

Don't get me wrong, I know that money talks & it appears Arkansas is ready & willing to make a huge commitment, but just wondered how these situations might effect things.

Douglas
04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
It was actually an extension... and he can exit out of it with minimal penalty before September, I beleive. From what I understand, when they renegotiated the current contract and extension, he wanted to have an out so he could return back to coaching, if the right opportunity presented itself.

The SEC's TV contract is up after next FB season (2013-14). Right now, ESPN is the current "tenant", however, with both Fox (already started) and NBC wanting to expand their sports networks, and CBS wanting a bit of a larger market-share, it could be anyone's game as far as TV contracts are concerned. While Gruden does have that ESPN connection, remember that he'll essentially be the rookie coach in the SEC, so those connections might not play as heavily as people think.

Let's also not forget that the entire SEC is about equality. If it does not benefit a majority of the schools involved, it will not be signed off upon. The ACC runs under the same business acumen/model as well. The B12 does not, and the PAC12 didn't in the years past, though they are moving towards an equal revshare model. B1G has never done things fairly... each school can have its own TV agreement, however, in terms of giving more schools better chances of getting into bowls, many of the non rev sharing conferences are starting to pay attention to the SEC/ACC/Pac12 way of doing things.

Getting back on track and to answer your question a bit more simply... I don't think Gruden's tenure with ESPN will have that much of an effect on future TV contracts. It may bring better exposure to the Hogs, though. :D

TrueTrojan
04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
The more & more I think about this, the more & more I feel like Arkansas should throw everything they possibly can to attract Gruden. I can't imagine anyone being more of a "homerun hire" from every standpoint. Fans will love him. Players will love him. Recruits will love him. Immediately.

I'll say this...if Arkansas can pull off Gruden, this whole scandal could prove to be a blessing in disguise. IMO, long term, Gruden > Petrino.

Douglas
04-18-2012, 11:30 AM
TT, I will respond to this, but want to give things a day or two to shake out, so if I have more usable info I can share, I won't look like a dumbass responding back to ya, haha!

TrueTrojan
04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
TT, I will respond to this, but want to give things a day or two to shake out, so if I have more usable info I can share, I won't look like a dumbass responding back to ya, haha!

:laughing021: I completely understand! I've been around situations like this enough to know that saying "things can change in an instant" or "the situation is fluid" couldn't be more of an understatement.

TrueTrojan
04-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Douglas...man (I'm assuming)...

You seem to be pretty connected around Fayetteville so PLEASE tell me Arkansas isn't serious about Fulmer...:confused013:

TrueTrojan
04-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Now hearing ALOT of chatter that Garrick McGee will be the man...

Hope your head isn't spinning too much. Things get crazy fast haha

Douglas
04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Fulmer is beyond interested in the Hogs job. The issue is that we only want a one year "CEO only" deal with him, and he wants a multi-year deal.

I can shoot down McGee coming back to Arkansas, at least for the next two years. He's pretty committed to UAB and forging his own identity as a coach, instead of an OC.

There are a LOT of smokescreens going out right now, which tells me we have the coach we want and the deal's either signed or very close to being signed.

FYI, would it surprise any of you to learn that most of you are closer to Fayetteville than I am? I'm sitting 19 miles east of Atlanta. :D

And yes, my head IS spinning... trying to analyze all of the rumors to sort out the garbage from the real stuff.

TrueTrojan
04-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Fulmer is beyond interested in the Hogs job. The issue is that we only want a one year "CEO only" deal with him, and he wants a multi-year deal.

I can shoot down McGee coming back to Arkansas, at least for the next two years. He's pretty committed to UAB and forging his own identity as a coach, instead of an OC.

There are a LOT of smokescreens going out right now, which tells me we have the coach we want and the deal's either signed or very close to being signed.

FYI, would it surprise any of you to learn that most of you are closer to Fayetteville than I am? I'm sitting 19 miles east of Atlanta. :D

And yes, my head IS spinning... trying to analyze all of the rumors to sort out the garbage from the real stuff.

Guess I can't fault Fulmer for trying, but I'm glad the Arkansas Admin doesn't seem interested to give in. The CEO deal could work IF needed to buy time to bring in the homerun hire, but only then.

In regards to, McGee...IMO that's a smart move by McGee. Every coach has to make a career decision at some point & this may be his. Just hope lack of resources/success at UAB doesn't bury him. He seems to be a pretty bright guy.

It's funny you say that regarding the amount of rumors being put out. I told a buddy of mine almost the exact same thing earlier tonight. My rule of thumb has always been..."When names start to fly, you're pretty close to having your guy". I've learned it's not always one of the names being floated around either.

Still think Gruden is the guy?