PDA

View Full Version : We were bashed on a Montgomery talk show this morning.

TUTrojan
10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
John and Barry spoke about the letter to Blakeney incident and the drama that followed on this website. They basically said that if you can dish out criticism, be prepared to get some back and applauded Blakeney for taking a stand.

I listen to the show regularly, but Longshore turned it into another one of his emotional tyrades were he gives his personal soliloquy on something he knows little about.

The frustration from the Trojan Nation is not that we aren't undefeated and ranked in the top 10 this year. We all understand that we have a young team and did lose several very important players from last year's team. We hope and expect to see these current players develop over the season and throughout their careers and we are excited about that...

I believe the frustration here has been about the broken down 1976 Pinto otherwise known as our offensive attack. We haven't been able to get it running since entering D-1 with whatever parts we have had on hand each season. We don't want to turn it into a high performance sportscar- we just want to get a few laps around the block without stalling, taking out the neighbor's mailbox, or blowing up...
Most of the success we have had over the years has been the result of domination on the defensive side of the football. We are hoping that an offensive unit eventually steps up and shoulders some of the workload.

I don't think anyone here attacked Coach Blakeney. We simply wanted some answers about how long we as fans should continue to accept excuses from our offensive coordinator instead of results (or at least some form of improvement)...

TUFAN
10-04-2005, 10:29 AM
I have never been a coach basher, I don't think I even critized the OC much. In fact I, unlike most on this board, I think that the play calling was pretty good for most of the SC game. We ran the ball down their throat, we just couldn't hold on to it. The screen to Whinghter would have been a TD if the pass was there, etc etc. That being said I am sick and tired of hearing how we lost all those seniors and starters. Were the recruiters and coaches not aware of NCAA eligibility rules?? Did they think DW could get a PHD in Football? Being able to replace and reload is the mark of great program. I know you may have down years every now and then, but don't use it as an excuse every time there is critisism.

TSUtrojan
10-04-2005, 11:16 AM
If everyone insists on blaming the coaches for this seasons disappointments, at least act as if you know what you are talking about. Did anyone other than TUfan watch the S.C. game? I didn't see any of the coaches on the field handing the ball over to the Gamecocks everytime the Trojan offense began to sustain a drive. I believe the offensive gameplan for that game was right on. Better execution on the players part would have shown that. But I do believe that the coaches should have been recruiting better. That is where I find fault for the TU staff. However, that being said, I have heard that there have been a couple of decent recruits who have committed to Troy already and maybe some of the young guys that are getting all the playing time this year will step up and play big late this year and all of the next season. Case in point: Take the Tide. Their defense was not all that stellar 2 or 3 years ago, but all those guys that were playing then have developed and look what they are doing. Final word, if you are a true TROJAN fan, just be patient, hope for the best in conference play and keep a positive outlook, Troy's time is coming.

TrojanWar
10-04-2005, 11:28 AM
If you will remember, I said right after the USC game that MF called a decent game. I am ready for MF to hit the road, but I did think the gameplan was good this one time. If he can continue to build from the USC game, we may be in good shape. If he goes back to what he has done for 3 years, then we are in trouble. Period.

formerlytsufan
10-04-2005, 11:49 AM
If you will remember, I said right after the USC game that MF called a decent game. I am ready for MF to hit the road, but I did think the gameplan was good this one time. If he can continue to build from the USC game, we may be in good shape. If he goes back to what he has done for 3 years, then we are in trouble. Period.

We should find out tonight how well Fleetwood's gameplan is working. We will be playing a team that should have the same level of talent that we do, so win or lose, we will have a better idea where what this team is going to do this year.

TroyPremier
10-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Poor execution by the players equals poor coaching and preparation. If they coached these things enough in practice, they would be executed with less mistakes. Otherwise, they would not be starters.

TUTrojan
10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
I agree with the wait and see attitude. I believe our point has been made.

Even with our problems and/or inexperience we should be able to win or be very competitive within the Sun Belt.

The scary part is that even with last year's team we couldn't dominate the Sun Belt. I do put that on the coaches.

If we get embarrassed during this Sun Belt season or get pounced like we did two years ago by North Texas again, I think the coaches will feel some heat.

If we win tonight and take care of business in the Belt, we could turn this into a great season after all. I hope we turned the corner as a team after the Carolina game. For the most part, we have all been positive since that game and are waiting to see how we come out tonight...

ksdtrojan
10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
I keep telling myself to stay positive. We should turn the corner tonight as most of you have said. I'm still not convinced MF's play calling will be good enough for us in the long run but we will see. Like I said I am staying optimistic.

TSUtrojan
10-04-2005, 03:23 PM
So what you are saying is that the coaches are at fault for the players fumbling the ball nearly all night. I guess then in that regard they should be able to coach the players in a way that will enable them to run faster, jump higher, basically make every player Micheal Vick, right. No physical ability comes into play in this sport is basically your call is. And if you're saying that they shouldn't be starters, well that may be the best the coaches can put on the field for now. Read the whole message, I said earlier, the young guys must learn. In the learning process there will be ups and, unfortunately, downs.

TroyPremier
10-04-2005, 03:32 PM
You're taking my post completely out of context. No I am not saying
I guess then in that regard they should be able to coach the players in a way that will enable them to run faster, jump higher, basically make every player Micheal Vick, right. It all goes back to coaching fundamentals. Players are taught different techniques regarding how to carry a football. The same thing can be said about a QB being taught the fundamentals of reading his progressions before just dumping a pass off to a covered receiver which leads to an INT. Coaches need to put more emphasis on the FUNDAMENTALS. That is ALL I am saying and if anybody thinks that I am wrong in saying that, well congratulations for your opinion. Our opinions are all worth the same value anyway.

GO TROY!!

pkf4troy
10-04-2005, 03:36 PM
I listen to the show on a regular basis as well but I dont remember the topic being a huge issue. They spent maybe 5 mins talking about it and I have heard Longshore bash incidents are a far smaller scale. The points that Barry and John made where true, but I stand with my own opinion that the text/wording of LBs comments were somewhat on the unprofessional side. I take it as a moment of frustration on his part. The sad part is that these incidents are a common thing at higher D1 schools with Alumni groups and/or althetics sponsors/supporters. Lets cheer on Troy tonight and work to winning the conference.

Trojan1998
10-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I don't have a problem with posting Blakeney's response to the internet. It's about time things get stirred up some in Trojan Land. And Longshore is a good ball. Half of what he says on the radio show is just downright factually wrong. He ranted today about why Alabama didn't kick a 37 yard field goal when Alabama had the ball at the Florida 27 yard line late in the game instead of throwing to Prothro in the endzone. MEMO to Longshore: When the football is at the 27 yard line, that makes it a 44 yard field goal.

Go Trojans!!!

TSUtrojan
10-04-2005, 03:51 PM
As a quality analyst you must be able to see that what is on the field this year is not the same as what you were used to last year. Why is it that you cannot give the coaching staff credit for at least one good week this season even though it resulted in a 25 point loss? If you recall, Troy had S.C. beat last year if it had not been for bad calls. Maybe they match up well against the techniques of S.C., but whatever the case is they were not at fault for the loss, at least in the case. Why don't we call NT and ask if it will be o.k. if we hold our Troy player's hands during the game so that way if a player makes a mistake then your point will be a valid one. That being that the coaches were on the field to make the mistake.

Tums
10-04-2005, 03:52 PM
So what you are saying is that the coaches are at fault for the players fumbling the ball nearly all night.
Coaching does come into play on most fumbles. Most often it is the way the player holds the ball that results in a fumble. IE ball held with wrong arm, or not using both arms inside the 10, holding arms wrong during ball exchange, holding ball out away from the body, ect ect ect.......
The blame for fumbles due to coaching or lack there of normally falls on the running backs coach.

TSUtrojan
10-04-2005, 04:01 PM
[IE ball held with wrong arm, or not using both arms inside the 10]

So when the player is on the field the coach is at fault for him fumbling. Do you watch football, ever? It could be that the players, in the heat of the moment, may not always remember what the coaches taught them. The very basics of running the ball are taught and learned in pee-wee and prep football. If you want to blame coaches, blame the high school coach for not getting the ball player in the habit of carrying the ball that way when the ball player was in a learning stage. Did you happen to watch the Packers' game last night? If so, then you'll recall that a Packers reciever had the ball taken away from him while attempting to catch the ball. That was probably due to a pro athlete not being coached well, huh? It had nothing to do with carelessness with the ball or the other player wanting it more. [/quote]

TroyPremier
10-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Wow, someone else can continue arguing with this guy......I'm finished :roll:

D1Trojan4U
10-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Turnovers are part of the game. At every level. Are coaches to blame for them? Sometimes. Are players to blame for them? Sometimes. Other times they just happen- a hit in a certain position and angle etc. etc. Other times, players just make great plays. Still other times- something downright wacky happens. Point being that the blame for turnovers is rarely any one person's fault. We can argue senselessly about it until we are blue in the face (or fingers in this case) but somethings never change- and never will.

Tums
10-04-2005, 04:24 PM
[IE ball held with wrong arm, or not using both arms inside the 10]

So when the player is on the field the coach is at fault for him fumbling. Do you watch football, ever? It could be that the players, in the heat of the moment, may not always remember what the coaches taught them. The very basics of running the ball are taught and learned in pee-wee and prep football. If you want to blame coaches, blame the high school coach for not getting the ball player in the habit of carrying the ball that way when the ball player was in a learning stage. Did you happen to watch the Packers' game last night? If so, then you'll recall that a Packers reciever had the ball taken away from him while attempting to catch the ball. That was probably due to a pro athlete not being coached well, huh? It had nothing to do with carelessness with the ball or the other player wanting it more.
I have played football at every level except pro and I have friends that play there. Pros even have mini camps to go over the simple basic fundamentals of football. Every team from pee wee to Pros practice basic FUNDAMENTALS every year. Every coach wants the basics to come natural to his player so he just reacts and does not even have to think about it.

Here is LB's quote after his first practice in pads.

Trojans Complete First Practice in Full Pads
Ricky Hazel 08/10/2005

TROY, Ala. Ė The 2005 Troy University football squad completed its first practice session in full pads Wednesday evening at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium with mixed results according to head coach Larry Blakeney.

"I thought we did a lot of good things early in the practice but it got a little sloppy toward the end of the day," Blakeney said. "We still have a lot of work to do, but there are a lot of things that Iíve seen that I like.

"We focused on real fundamentals out there today and spent a lot of time teaching. We worked on pad levels, tackling and blocking techniques and the type of things that have proven to produce successful teams."

PS Football is one thing I do know about.

TTownTrojan
10-04-2005, 04:26 PM
I was wondering what my response would have been if I were Larry Blakeney responding to a frustrated fan's email. Maybe he should have taken the high road and written something along these lines:

Dear Trojan Fan,

No one is more disappointed in our play this year than I am. I knew going into this season, we would face a tremendous task in replacing 17 starters.

Not only did we lose talented seniors, we lost a good deal of experienced leadership on both sides of the ball, including our quarterback. We are working hard to bring these young players along. Hopefully, as the season progresses we will see better results.

I can assure you the players and the coaching staff are working very hard to improve, and to bring Troy football back up to the winning tradition we have enjoyed here for so long. We appreciate your concern, and ask for your patience.

Please continue to support the Trojans as we transition through this difficult year. Better times are ahead! We look forward to seeing the Trojan faithful at the ball games!

Sincerely,
Coach

Think I could get a job as the coach's email and letter responder?

Well, that's why one doesn't respond or write letters or emails in the heat of anger. Let's cut the coach some slack, I'm sure he is frustrated also. How many of us have always responded to things in the best light?

Maybe we can turn the season around beginning tonight against North Texas. We'll see!

Go Trojans!

TSUtrojan
10-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks for reiterating what I said. The coach wants it to come naturally, that doesn't mean he can force it to happen. I think that the coaches and the players probably are doing the best they can as most competitors normally do. When you play sports, you win or lose. As a fan we should all realize this and not complain about things such as the coaches or the players being at fault. Until it is proven that LB is not producing anymore, everyone should stay off his back. He has produced talent at Troy over the many years he has been here and I, for one, believe he can continue to do it. There are few times when a coach or player should be drug through the mud and that scenario has not been presented this year.

Tums
10-04-2005, 05:14 PM
It is always the coaches Fault.

"Find your own picture, your own self in anything that goes bad. It's awfully easy to mouth off at your staff or chew out players, but if it's bad, and youíre the head coach, you're responsible. If we have an intercepted pass, I threw it. I'm the head coach. If we get a punt blocked, I caused it. A bad practice, a bad game, it's up to the head coach to assume his responsibility."
- Paul "Bear" Bryant