PDA

View Full Version : Troy/NT - SunBelt Game of the Week

Sarahbelle
10-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Sun Belt Game of the Week
Tuesday, October 4th
Troy (1-3) at North Texas (1-2) 7:30 pm ET ESPN2
Why to watch: It's hard to sell a battle of two one-win teams as "The Game of the Year," but that's exactly what this might be for the Sun Belt conference. These were the two best teams in the Sun Belt last year, but they didn't play. Now, this should be for the Sun Belt title and a trip to the New Orleans Bowl, even though each team has a long Sun Belt road ahead. North Texas has looked horrible so far getting blasted 108-9 over the last two games by Kansas State and Tulsa, but it did come up with an opening day win over MTSU to once again establish its dominance in Sun Belt play. Troy has played a bit better than the Mean Green despite losing to UAB, Missouri and South Carolina over the last three weeks by a combined score of 124 to 49. The one win came over Cal Poly in the opener.
Why Troy might win: Despite all the points allowed and all the problems over the last few weeks, Troy has a decent defense. The stats don't show it, but there's enough young, athletic talent to potentially shut down most mediocre offenses. UNT's offense isn't mediocre, it's horrendous currently ranking dead last in America in total offense and passing and is second to last in scoring averaging a mere 7.67 yards per game. The vaunted running game isn't even doing much averaging 103 yards per outing. To make matters worse, the struggling offense isn't getting any help from the special teams with the nation's worst punt return game. UNT is averaging -2 yards per punt return. Troy is 29th in the nation in punt returns averaging 12.94 yards.
Why North Texas might win: Turnovers. Troy is 118th in the nation in turnover margin giving it away 12 times and only taking it away twice. Even with all of its problems, North Texas is 17th in the country in turnover margin with six takeaways and only three giveaways. Also, it's not like the Troy offense is doing much of anything averaging 259.5 yards and 18.75 points per game. It won't take much for the Mean Green defense to shut the Trojans down.
Who to watch: It's a head-to-head matchup of, arguably, the league's best linebacker vs. the league's best running back. Troy's Bernard Davis is a tackling machine able to make plays sideline to sideline. While he hasn't been much of a disruptor so far, that honor belongs to safety Johnny Faulk, Davis leads the team in tackles with 31. He'll had to find a way to stop RB Patrick Cobbs, who hit the 100-yard mark in each of the first two games before being held to 34 by Kansas State. He ran through MTSU for 103 yards and a touchdown, and with the way QB Daniel Meagher is throwing, he'll have to carry the offense again.
What will happen: It's North Texas at home in a big Sun Belt game. Troy has the better offense and the better defense, but the Mean Green always finds a way to get the job done. This time around, it'll win capitalizing on turnovers.
CFN Prediction: North Texas 21 ... Troy 17 ... Line: North Texas -2 | Make your pick and compete against others
Must See Rating: (5 lock yourself in a room to watch - 1 The Adam Carolla Project) ... 3

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/sun_belt/2005_Predictions/SunBelt.htm

D1Trojan4U
10-04-2005, 08:22 AM
and is second to last in scoring averaging a mere 7.67 yards per game.

I'm seeing more and more why many view CFN as not very credible.

SloStang
10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Good luck to night against North Texas. I am excited because the game is on ESPN2. Last year I may have watched, but did not know much about either team. This year I have been following Troy since it was annouced that Cal Poly would be playing them. You have some tough losses since Cal Poly, but they were against tough teams. I think you will really turn it on now that conference games have begun and I am pulling for you.

I really enjoyed the trip to Troy this year and appreciated the hospitality that was shown to Cal Poly fans. I know that we will probably not play again, but if we do I will definately make the trip.

As far a Cal Poly is concerned, they have done well since the game with Troy. They have won their last four games and have risen to number 9 nationaly in I-AA. We have not tried a #!@^ fake punt since our game and getting our starting QB back has helped. We actually have a passing game and are now playing a Rfr RB that did not play against Troy. He is averaging 7 yards a carry and over 100 yards a game. Our defense is continueing to do well and has 24 sacks already this season. DE Chris Gocong has 10.5 sacks and leads the I-AA again in sacks. We have a big conference game this week against North Dakota State. NDSU is ranked 12th in I-AA and the winner will most likely win the conference.

Once again good luck tonight and the rest of the season. I am looking forward to watching the game and will be pulling for Troy.

Sarahbelle
10-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey SloStang,

I noticed Cal-Poly was ranked a couple of spots higher than Troy in the Sagarin Poll this week. :(

I'm glad we don't have to play you again!

TrojanWar
10-04-2005, 01:18 PM
After reading that preview, it makes you think the score will be 0-0 at the end of regulation. Have we turned it over 12 times or have we fumbled 12 times and lost it 6 times? I'm looking at today's Dothan Eagle Troy gameday wrapper and it shows 12 fumbles with 6 lost. Regardless, we have turned the ball over a lot and I fully expect the guys to play a little more conservative tonight just to protect the ball. That's the biggest negative that comes from lots of turnovers. Your offense can't play as aggressive as they normally would.

formerlytsufan
10-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Good luck to night against North Texas. I am excited because the game is on ESPN2. Last year I may have watched, but did not know much about either team. This year I have been following Troy since it was annouced that Cal Poly would be playing them. You have some tough losses since Cal Poly, but they were against tough teams. I think you will really turn it on now that conference games have begun and I am pulling for you.

I really enjoyed the trip to Troy this year and appreciated the hospitality that was shown to Cal Poly fans. I know that we will probably not play again, but if we do I will definately make the trip.

As far a Cal Poly is concerned, they have done well since the game with Troy. They have won their last four games and have risen to number 9 nationaly in I-AA. We have not tried a #!@^ fake punt since our game and getting our starting QB back has helped. We actually have a passing game and are now playing a Rfr RB that did not play against Troy. He is averaging 7 yards a carry and over 100 yards a game. Our defense is continueing to do well and has 24 sacks already this season. DE Chris Gocong has 10.5 sacks and leads the I-AA again in sacks. We have a big conference game this week against North Dakota State. NDSU is ranked 12th in I-AA and the winner will most likely win the conference.

Once again good luck tonight and the rest of the season. I am looking forward to watching the game and will be pulling for Troy.

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. I have been following Cal Poly since we played you guys and I am glad to see that you guys are playing so well. Now, go win the rest of your games this year and hopefully we will do the same!