PDA

View Full Version : SBC, WAC, A-10 schools want into CUSA/MWC

Schard
03-12-2012, 11:56 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/17751380/wac-schools-others-interested-in-new-c-usamwc-league

According to CBS's Brett McMurphy, FIU, FAU, and UNT have contacted one of the alliance conferences about membership.

Another rumor is that MTSU is actively pursuing membership.

Thoughts?

Burn the Horse
03-13-2012, 04:54 PM
traitors.

JPSousa1898
03-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

BDM88
03-14-2012, 03:15 AM
As I have said before The Belt is our Coffin! No matter what we do Troy is Doomed in this league! The Belt is perceived as a Doormat and will always be. All the teams will jump at any ship(Conference) that is looking to expand! We are no different if CUSA or the Big East came calling we would be gone. I would really like to see The belt get better but I have to be honest with myself and what I see it is never going to happen!

TrojanWarrior418
03-17-2012, 03:58 PM
I disagree. I think if we jumped ship to the newly merged CUSA/ MWC will be the end of our athletics program. Yeah it looks good in the short term because it's the shiny new toy but in the long run it'll wear thin quickly. Any thing that will cause us to travel every other year to Nevada, New Mexico, Idaho, California and Hawaii will bankrupt our funds and leave us with nothing. Let the folks in Florida and Tennessee find that out the hard way.

BDM88
03-17-2012, 05:26 PM
I disagree. I think if we jumped ship to the newly merged CUSA/ MWC will be the end of our athletics program. Yeah it looks good in the short term because it's the shiny new toy but in the long run it'll wear thin quickly. Any thing that will cause us to travel every other year to Nevada, New Mexico, Idaho, California and Hawaii will bankrupt our funds and leave us with nothing. Let the folks in Florida and Tennessee find that out the hard way.

Um As Far as I see it we are headed that way already. I did not say we are going to CUSA or The Big East. Just that if they offered we would go. Same with any team in the Belt. And if you think Troy or any other team wouldn't you are fooling yourself. I agree that this Big Merger is bad for FBS Football but it will get teams noticed that do not normally get noticed.

Troy87
03-18-2012, 09:41 AM
I think a lot of schools will see the big merger for what it is, and that it's a shot in the arm for CUSA/MWC.

Both CUSA and MWC have been on the precipice of being able to be considered an AQ conference, with MWC coming closest. But with the Big 6 raiding them each year to pick off those schools that provide the power teams that elevate them to a level of "almost AQ", they could never get over the hump.

With the size of the merged conference, they provide mass for their current member schools....enough so as to try and ward off future plucking by the Big 6. Their size also makes them a commodity the BCS Committee can't ignore. As a merged conference, they pretty much can demand a seat at the BCS table. Right now, with 20 football teams they would possess 1/6 of the FBS teams, and if they do add 4 more, that would put them at 20% of the FBS teams. That makes them pretty relevant.

What it does do is relegate MAC, Sunbelt and WAC to mid-major irrelevance in terms of BCS potential. WAC is becoming less relevant anyway, and is likely to disappear altogether in the near future. I could see the Sunbelt and MAC merging in a similar fashion as the CUSA/MWC merger. What is the result if that happens?

It is, and always has been my belief, the BCS wants to eventually get to a playoff situation, but they have been biding their time and letting it evolve slowly. Now, follow me a moment here.....we already had the Big 6. Now we see the merger of CUSA and MWC, to possibly bring a 7th Conference into the automatic qualifier status. If MAC and Sunbelt were to make a similar move, that would have a similar effect as the CUSA/ MWC merger.....i.e., too big to ignore, and thereby setting an eighth plate at the BCS table, while the WAC goes away. Now you have 8 seats at a BCS table which can be the basis for an 8-team playoff (winners of each conference championship game qualify for the big 4 bowls).

Think about it, and consider promoting a MAC/Sunbelt merger.

BDM88
03-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I think a lot of schools will see the big merger for what it is, and that it's a shot in the arm for CUSA/MWC.

Both CUSA and MWC have been on the precipice of being able to be considered an AQ conference, with MWC coming closest. But with the Big 6 raiding them each year to pick off those schools that provide the power teams that elevate them to a level of "almost AQ", they could never get over the hump.

With the size of the merged conference, they provide mass for their current member schools....enough so as to try and ward off future plucking by the Big 6. Their size also makes them a commodity the BCS Committee can't ignore. As a merged conference, they pretty much can demand a seat at the BCS table. Right now, with 20 football teams they would possess 1/6 of the FBS teams, and if they do add 4 more, that would put them at 20% of the FBS teams. That makes them pretty relevant.

What it does do is relegate MAC, Sunbelt and WAC to mid-major irrelevance in terms of BCS potential. WAC is becoming less relevant anyway, and is likely to disappear altogether in the near future. I could see the Sunbelt and MAC merging in a similar fashion as the CUSA/MWC merger. What is the result if that happens?

It is, and always has been my belief, the BCS wants to eventually get to a playoff situation, but they have been biding their time and letting it evolve slowly. Now, follow me a moment here.....we already had the Big 6. Now we see the merger of CUSA and MWC, to possibly bring a 7th Conference into the automatic qualifier status. If MAC and Sunbelt were to make a similar move, that would have a similar effect as the CUSA/ MWC merger.....i.e., too big to ignore, and thereby setting an eighth plate at the BCS table, while the WAC goes away. Now you have 8 seats at a BCS table which can be the basis for an 8-team playoff (winners of each conference championship game qualify for the big 4 bowls).

Think about it, and consider promoting a MAC/Sunbelt merger.

I like the thought of this Merger with us and the Mac. However if it did put us in the playoff picture the new conference would be the number 8 seed regardless of who is the Champ. The Belt/Mac Merger Would still be considered the Last of the eight. But would also give Troy a Shot to play Bama and Burn(Or whoever is number one) on national TV and force them to put up a huge effort to beat Lil Ole Troy! So if it give Troy a shot then bring it on!

Troy87
03-18-2012, 08:27 PM
I like the thought of this Merger with us and the Mac. However if it did put us in the playoff picture the new conference would be the number 8 seed regardless of who is the Champ. The Belt/Mac Merger Would still be considered the Last of the eight. But would also give Troy a Shot to play Bama and Burn(Or whoever is number one) on national TV and force them to put up a huge effort to beat Lil Ole Troy! So if it give Troy a shot then bring it on!

It would give the MAC/Sunbelt champ a shot at a #1 or #2 seed each year. But it gives them a big pot of money too, and tremendous visibility. Much like the George Mason team that went to the Final Four a couple years ago, it would be a long shot, but who knows. There would be several bowl tie-ins too.

ThePowerMan
03-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Don't you think Troy has had some interest in getting in on this merger? I am not saying that we would join but I think there would be (or has been) interest. I believe everyone thinks the this new league might have a BCS automatic one day. I think After it is all done there will be a strong Sun Belt Conference that continues to grow and get stronger.