PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's out...

trojanbrutha
03-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Drew Champlin ‏ @dothaneagletroy

Troy women's coach Michael Murphy was relieved of his duties, the school announced. Murph's a great guy, and I sure wish him well.

trojanbrutha
03-11-2012, 01:54 PM
http://www2.dothaneagle.com/sports/2012/mar/11/troy-womens-basketball-coach-let-go-ar-3391502/

JonesOxygen
03-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Murph is a nice guy, but no doubt change had to happen. He had a string of bad luck and a great off the court record but ultimately coaches are judged by wins and losses. Can't wait to see who we hire, I got to see the new arena Friday and we have ALL the potential in the world now for our hoops program. Can't wait for it to open!!

troy4ever21
03-11-2012, 04:18 PM
He may have been a nice guy, but I think this was needed. We need to get the Lady Trojans back on track. We also need to improve all the other women's sports as well, aside from softball.

Hemi Man
03-11-2012, 04:27 PM
I wish Murphy all the best in the future. I also hope we can catch a break with injury illness on the women's basketball team next season.

CHughes1102
03-11-2012, 06:56 PM
God this was desperately needed!!! We were so awful for so many years in Women's Basketball!!!

bft
03-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Way overdue! Time to quit being hurt and young! This guy couldn't coach but was best excuse maker I have ever seen!

tntrojan
03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Maybe the men's program should follow suit. Seems like a long time since we've been relevant on the court. Don't get me wrong, I like DM, but if we judge the women's program on "what have you done for me lately" why aren't we judging the men's program the same way?

CHughes1102
03-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Maybe the men's program should follow suit. Seems like a long time since we've been relevant on the court. Don't get me wrong, I like DM, but if we judge the women's program on "what have you done for me lately" why aren't we judging the men's program the same way?

Absolutely agree 100%

bft
03-12-2012, 07:19 AM
You have short memory! Men's program has won Conf. Championships been to big dance. Now with a couple bad years we want to get rid of coaches who have been solid as a rock.
This women's program has one banner in HISTORY 1997. Mike Murphy was so bad he couldn't even schedule a win!

Lego
03-12-2012, 08:23 AM
You have short memory! Men's program has won Conf. Championships been to big dance. Now with a couple bad years we want to get rid of coaches who have been solid as a rock.

If you want to base success on the Big Dance, I wouldn't exactly hang your coaching cred on the street based on one Tournament apprearance in 2003 when you won the Atlantic Sun.

To compare the other smaller Alabama schools on tournament appearances:
- UAB - 13
- South Alabama - 8
- Samford - 2
- Alabama State - 2

He'll get a couple of seasons in the new arena, then there will be no excuses.

Trojans1andAll
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
If you want to base success on the Big Dance, I wouldn't exactly hang your coaching cred on the street based on one Tournament apprearance in 2003 when you won the Atlantic Sun.

To compare the other smaller Alabama schools on tournament appearances:
- UAB - 13
- South Alabama - 8
- Samford - 2
- Alabama State - 2

He'll get a couple of seasons in the new arena, then there will be no excuses.

That's what I'm hoping/thinking.

bft
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Lets compare
UAB - Birmingham not small school a true MID MAJOR located in a real CITY.
South Al - only comparison same bad league located in a real CITY.
Samford - You got me here one more NCAA playing in a bad league. Guess what located in a real CITY.
Alabama State - Play in a league that even Troy women can win a game in. So Troy men might win that league ever year. Guess what there is a pattern here real CITY.
In others words they are not recruiting to TROY ALABAMA!

Trojans1andAll
03-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Lets compare
Samford - You got me here one more NCAA playing in a bad league. Guess what located in a real CITY.
Alabama State - Play in a league that even Troy women can win a game in. So Troy men might win that league ever year. Guess what there is a pattern here real CITY.

Moot. Blakeney and crew recruit to Troy, and they've recruited pretty well. Maestri could if he wanted to. Hint: winners recruit winners!

Lego
03-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Lets compare

So are you saying Troy basketball can never win because they are located in Troy, Alabama ? Sounds like an excuse to justify a record.

So according to that theory we should drop down a division because Troy can't win because they can't recruit due to the college being in Troy, Alabama ? I don't accept this.

Losers always give excuses, winners overcome, adapt, find a way.

I bet you can name programs that have won that are located in small towns.

redwaver
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
So are you saying Troy basketball can never win because they are located in Troy, Alabama ? Sounds like an excuse to justify a record.

So according to that theory we should drop down a division because Troy can't win because they can't recruit due to the college being in Troy, Alabama ? I don't accept this.

Losers always give excuses, winners overcome, adapt, find a way.

I bet you can name programs that have won that are located in small towns.
Hey, can we please end all the excuses for our recient athletic failures. WE ARE located in Troy. That is NEVER going to change. We are who we are. Other towns, cities have their good points and bad ones. LB has proven you CAN recruit to this town of TROY as has coach Pierce the golf coaches and the ladies softball coaches. If we are going to continue to come up with an excuse every time we fail at something at D1 then we might as well move back to a lower division for "little towns." I don't care if it is the basketball programs, the defense on the football team or any other less successful program at Troy, you can't always have the best facilities in EVERY sport, you might have injuries (everyone else does as well), you might even lose your facilities (golf) but when all is said and done those in charge are expected to deal with their list of variables, plan a stratagy and then put in the work to get the job done under your particular circumstances. That is what every team you play has to do as well. The ones who win are the ones who ditch all the excuses and deal with the circumstances facing them. If you have sub par facilities you have to work harder. If you are in a rual town you have to sell what you have that is good but you will probably have to work harder in doing it. If you have injuries, you should have planned for that when you recruited earlier. An example of what you do to get kids to Troy has been demonstrated by coaches like Blakney, Pierce and a few others when you hear kids say, "I really want to come play for Coach --------". You sell your team, your visions, your successes, and yes, winning does make recruiting easier but when all is said and done, no excuse in the world will change your/our final won loss record in any sport. A famous coach once said, "losers make excuses, winners find solutions". That about says if for me. Lets find solutions and get off the excuse train. Go Trojans!!

Lego
03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Hey, can we please end all the excuses for our recient athletic failures. WE ARE located in Troy. That is NEVER going to change. We are who we are. Other towns, cities have their good points and bad ones. LB has proven you CAN recruit to this town of TROY as has coach Pierce the golf coaches and the ladies softball coaches. If we are going to continue to come up with an excuse every time we fail at something at D1 then we might as well move back to a lower division for "little towns." I don't care if it is the basketball programs, the defense on the football team or any other less successful program at Troy, you can't always have the best facilities in EVERY sport, you might have injuries (everyone else does as well), you might even lose your facilities (golf) but when all is said and done those in charge are expected to deal with their list of variables, plan a stratagy and then put in the work to get the job done under your particular circumstances. That is what every team you play has to do as well. The ones who win are the ones who ditch all the excuses and deal with the circumstances facing them. If you have sub par facilities you have to work harder. If you are in a rual town you have to sell what you have that is good but you will probably have to work harder in doing it. If you have injuries, you should have planned for that when you recruited earlier. An example of what you do to get kids to Troy has been demonstrated by coaches like Blakney, Pierce and a few others when you hear kids say, "I really want to come play for Coach --------". You sell your team, your visions, your successes, and yes, winning does make recruiting easier but when all is said and done, no excuse in the world will change your/our final won loss record in any sport. A famous coach once said, "losers make excuses, winners find solutions". That about says if for me. Lets find solutions and get off the excuse train. Go Trojans!!

the redwaver hits it again.

Well said. Well said.

dgoebel
03-13-2012, 03:22 PM

I will second that :eatdrink004: Excellent Post :thumb:

troy4ever21
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Lets compare

TROY has a huge presence in Montgomery. We have a large campus right in the heart of Downtown Montgomery by the state Capital and all the government buildings. The other large campus is in Dothan, a city of 70,000. We also have smaller campuses in Phenix City, Columbus, and Ft. Benning. Phenix City is RIGHT across the river from Columbus, a city of 200,000, and Ft. Benning is the largest base in the world. Soooo, I think we have some great recruiting grounds.

Trojan1998
03-14-2012, 03:34 PM
This women's program has one banner in HISTORY 1997. Mike Murphy was so bad he couldn't even schedule a win!

I agree 100%. The men's program has been very good. They will rebound like they always have under Don and David. They've been successful at each step along the way since we've been a Division One program, all while having one hand tied behind their backs. The new arena will help us tremendously.

Lego
03-15-2012, 08:19 AM
The men's program has been very good. They've been successful at each step along the way since we've been a Division One program

So it is understood, define "very good" as your description above of the Troy Men's basketball program. That adjective would not be used by alot of persons in describing the Troy's Men basketball program.

Yes, the arena has not helped.

Trojan1998
03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
So it is understood, define "very good" as your description above of the Troy Men's basketball program. That adjective would not be used by alot of persons in describing the Troy's Men basketball program.

Yes, the arena has not helped.

Winning a Sun Belt title three seasons ago is pretty darn good for a program like Troy who's had to play in a 50-year old shoebox gym in a league with topnotch facilities. Most people said that it could never be done. But, Don and Flex have won titles every step along the way. I'm a bit biased though because I was the team manager from 1994-1998, so I have a firsthand account of how hard they work and how tough the obstacles have been. (Especially when I was there during the first years of the Division One era.) Basketball has been the redheaded step-child of athletics for the last 20+ years at Troy. However, the program has still done extraordinarily well under the circumstances.

The arena should have been built long ago, but now that it's almost in place, it is truly a blessing. Mississippi State will be in town to open the new arena this December. Something we never could have done playing in Sartain Hall.

Lego
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Winning a Sun Belt title three seasons ago is pretty darn good for a program like Troy who's had to play in a 50-year old shoebox gym in a league with topnotch facilities. Most people said that it could never be done. But, Don and Flex have won titles every step along the way. I'm a bit biased though because I was the team manager from 1994-1998, so I have a firsthand account of how hard they work and how tough the obstacles have been. (Especially when I was there during the first years of the Division One era.) Basketball has been the redheaded step-child of athletics for the last 20+ years at Troy. However, the program has still done extraordinarily well under the circumstances.

The arena should have been built long ago, but now that it's almost in place, it is truly a blessing. Mississippi State will be in town to open the new arena this December. Something we never could have done playing in Sartain Hall.

Yes Sartain is a dump.

But since Troy joined D-I:
- Overall Record: 282-272
- Conference Record: 81-139
- 8 winning seasons - 11 losing seasons
Since joining the Belt
- Overall Record: 96-116
- Conference Record: 56-63
- 2 winning seasons - 5 losing seasons

Stating that above record is "very good" is not real. Can't blame everything on the gym or location of school.

Regardless, let's see what happens in the new arena. Think everyone can agree that no excuses are preventing consistent runs at the championships now.

Trojan1998
03-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Yes Sartain is a dump.

But since Troy joined D-I:
- Overall Record: 282-272
- Conference Record: 81-139
- 8 winning seasons - 11 losing seasons
Since joining the Belt
- Overall Record: 96-116
- Conference Record: 56-63
- 2 winning seasons - 5 losing seasons

Stating that above record is "very good" is not real. Can't blame everything on the gym or location of school.

Regardless, let's see what happens in the new arena. Think everyone can agree that no excuses are preventing consistent runs at the championships now.

Location and gym have a lot to do with being consistently successful at a mid-major/low-major school.

Don't forget that we were ineligible for the NCAA tournament from 1993 through 1998 because of the Division One transition rule. That was a tough situation because we had nothing to offer recruits during that time, so that period of time can almost be written off. And I lived through all of it first-hand.