PDA

View Full Version : "Blackout" for FIU game

troystfan
09-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Blackout and kids promotions.

Troy University Under Threat of Complete Blackout
09/29/2005

Order your official "Blackout" t-shirt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TROY, Ala. – Troy University Director of Athletics Steve Dennis announced today the home football game versus the Florida International Panthers on October 20 will be designated as the "Blackout" game.

Troy University wants to paint Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium black and is encouraging everyone to wear black apparel to the game. To be a part of this special night please log onto www.TroyTrojans.com and click the Trojans Team Gear Icon to purchase an official "Blackout" game day t-shirt or call Screentech toll-free 1-800-230-7010 to place your order.

Every fan that purchases an official "Blackout" t-shirt through Screentech will be automatically entered for a chance to win an opportunity to run the official game ball out of the Trojan team tunnel prior to kickoff of the Middle Tennessee State game on November 26.

The TROY football team will wear vintage black jerseys and black helmets for one-time only on Oct. 20 vs. Florida International. Anyone wishing to donate a minimum of $125 to the Al Lucas Fund for Student-Athlete Excellence will receive one of these game-used black jerseys. The last time TROY wore black jerseys was AL Lucas' senior year in 1999.

Lucas played for the Trojans from 1996-99, was a two-time All-American and was winner of the 1999 Buck Buchanan Award as the top defensive player in Division I-AA. Lucas died on April 10 of this year while playing in an Arena Football League game for the Los Angeles Avengers.

"This will be our first home game in more than a month and the ‘Blackout’ will make it an even bigger event," Trojans coach Larry Blakeney said. "Al Lucas was very special to all of us here at Troy University and to honor him in this way, on national television, will be something that everyone will remember for years to come."

The game between the Trojans and Panthers is scheduled to be televised nationally on ESPNU. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.

In addition to the "Blackout", the Florida International game will also be the "Take a Kid to the Game" promotion. For every adult that pays full price for admission, one child will be admitted free of charge with the paying adult.

There will be a "Kids Zone" located within the Riddle-Pace Field outfield where there will be various activities and inflatable games for all kids. All children are encouraged to attend and enjoy this fun day of activities and entertainment. When arriving for game day activities please enter the "Kids Zone" from the outfield gate located adjacent to Tailgate Terrace.

For more information on the Blackout contact Roger Shultz or Wes Allen at (334) 670-3482.

http://www.troytrojans.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&url_article_id=894&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

troy4ever
09-29-2005, 12:45 PM
I like the idea and have wished they would do something like this for a long time. Not really wild about the black though. I'd be more of a fan if it was cardinal, but hey, I can live with black. But isn't this game on Thursday? Sounds like they're trying to do what they can to get people to the game because it will probably be a slim crowd.

Trojan In Helena
09-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Bingo.....troy4ever !

trojansoccer
09-29-2005, 12:55 PM
I think this is a great idea. Any extra promotions you can do to enhance the atmosphere should be well received. I cant wait to see the black jerseys. The cost of $125 aint bad either for a game worn jersey. Great idea Guys!

TUTrojan
09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
From someone who likes to be critical on here at times, I have to say that this sounds like a great idea.

Good job, Mr. Dennis.

ksdtrojan
09-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Great promotion!!!

TrojanWar
09-29-2005, 01:06 PM
I can't participate. The shirts only go up to 2XL. That stinks.

Sarahbelle
09-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Thats awesome!

Good job, AD!

:D

faithintsu
09-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Its about time - I have been saying do this for a couple years now, the only thing I wish was that it would be cardinal.

But not that big of a deal!!

ksdtrojan
09-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Its about time - I have been saying do this for a couple years now, the only thing I wish was that it would be cardinal.

But not that big of a deal!!

I agree cardinal would stand out more when looking at the stands, but like you said it is not that big of a deal! At least they are moving in the right direction with a good promotion to get the fans more into the game.

TrojanWar
09-29-2005, 02:30 PM
I like black better than cardinal, but that's just me. Black is my favorite color. I guess I'll just wear a solid black shirt since they don't make one for my big @ss!! I think the stadium would look cool all black. Maybe Steve Dennis will like it so much that he gets the NCAA to let us change our field color to black with red hash lines and yardage markers like I suggested once before. That would be scary looking!

troystfan
09-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Here's the link to the "official" blackout shirt.

http://www.screentechstore.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16389&cat=275&page=1

troymarkus
09-29-2005, 02:49 PM
I agree, I like Cardinal better, but the reason for black is a tribute to Al Lucas. I think it's terrific! Big Al wore the black jeresey and I've missed it. I wish we'd do this once a year!

Sarahbelle
09-29-2005, 03:06 PM
I agree, I like Cardinal better, but the reason for black is a tribute to Al Lucas. I think it's terrific! Big Al wore the black jeresey and I've missed it. I wish we'd do this once a year!

Me too...the black jerseys were my favorites.

tsufl
09-29-2005, 03:26 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!
I cant believe it, NOBODY is b*tching about this.
The only complaint is about it not being cardinal. This is a RED letter day on this board.

I for one have been wishing we would have done this a LONG time ago. Nothing is tougher than black and having a sea of black at the game along with the team in a black tops and helmets is going to be great. I just hope I can make it.

LSUConnMan
09-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Where's the info for the al lucas student athlete fund? I'm in for a jersey.

tntrojan
09-29-2005, 04:47 PM
"The TROY football team will wear vintage black jerseys and black helmets for one-time only..."

Vintage? This should make most of this board feel old if the 90s are being called "vintage." :)

And, I too think we looked our most intimidating in black helmets and black jerseys.

FRED_of_TROY
09-29-2005, 04:57 PM
This is a great idea! While I think cardinal would look good, a sea of black will look good too, especially since it's in memory of Al Lucas.

Now it really sucks that I won't make it to the game. I didn't like Thursday night games last year when I was in Troy, but now I understand where all of you out-of-town fans were coming from.

I think I'll still buy a shirt though.

Pcbtrojan
09-29-2005, 05:32 PM
All they had in the article'
For more information on the Blackout contact Roger Shultz or Wes Allen at (334) 670-3482.
Or if all else fails contact the athletic department.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/6183/aggiehurricaneprep2nv.th.jpg (http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aggiehurricaneprep2nv.jpg)[/url]

TROYgirl128
09-29-2005, 06:17 PM
That picture is TOO funnny!

Trojanman
09-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Let's keep the vintage jerseys and helmets and sell the new stuff. :D

troy4ever
09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
I really like the gameday shirts. I think they look really good! It's one of the better gameday shirts I've seen in a while.

BMarkey
09-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Well, if someone has to complain ....

Naaah. I do think cardinal would be and look much better, but the promotion is (perhaps for the first time?) first rate. Good job, Troy!

Lord-Mustang
09-30-2005, 12:36 AM
I also like the idea, but the cost of shipping is horrible. I may just have to make a drive down one afternoon and pick it up in the store.

troylightning
09-30-2005, 07:29 AM
It would cost you more in Gas than it would to do shipping. They have a fed ex ground option for $5 something. That is what I have used the last couple of times I have ordered something. They sell the game day shirts for $15 at the stadium.

FRED_of_TROY
09-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Ahhh....although I will most likely miss the game, I do have an advantage on the shipping! I have a sibling in Troy still! Can you get them at the bookstore or does she need to go get it at the field house?

kiwan
09-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Just ordered the T-shirt for my pregnant wife and made my donation to the AL Lucas Fund to get a jersey. I told the athletic department that this is one of the SMARTEST things they have ever done. Much better than Hector BOBBLE head night?

tsufl
09-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Werent they supposed to do a Larry Blakeney Bobble-Head last season? What happened to those?
And why dont they do one now? Id love to have one of those with LBs big noggin bopping around.