PDA

View Full Version : Sun belt realignment ?

Tums
02-16-2012, 10:14 AM
I think the Sunbelt needs to take advantage of the current situation and try to expand to 16 teams. At Worst atleast make it to 12 to have a championship game. With a current 10 member SBC it could add 6 teams and still have a regional conference. I think this list would make good sense(not in any particular order).
East Carolina
Marshall
UAB
Southern Miss
LA Tech
Tulane

Current Members
Arkansas State
Western Kentucky
Louisiana-Lafayette
FIU
North Texas
ULM
Troy
Middle Tennessee
Florida Atlantic
South Alabama

Troy87
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Your list mirrors exactly, a discussion I had with another GTT member just yesterday. I think if Benson is wanting to make a point in his new position in the Sunbelt, he should move on trying to block the MWC/CUSA merger in its current form and try to merge the eastern part of CUSA with the Sunbelt.

Geographically, it makes a whole lot more sense than the eastern parts of CUSA heading to the other side of the continental divide for games.....especially for the minor sports like volleyball, soccer, golf, etc.

TexasTrojan
02-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Your list mirrors exactly, a discussion I had with another GTT member just yesterday. I think if Benson is wanting to make a point in his new position in the Sunbelt, he should move on trying to block the MWC/CUSA merger in its current form and try to merge the eastern part of CUSA with the Sunbelt.

Geographically, it makes a whole lot more sense than the eastern parts of CUSA heading to the other side of the continental divide for games.....especially for the minor sports like volleyball, soccer, golf, etc.

SO:

SB East
E Carolina
Marshall
W. Kentucky
FIU
Middle Tenn
FAU
UAB
Arkansas St

SBWEST:
S Mississippi
La Tech
Tulane
ULALA
N Texas
ULM
Troy
S Alabama

Tums
02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
SO:

SB East
E Carolina
Marshall
W. Kentucky
FIU
Middle Tenn
FAU
UAB
Arkansas St

SBWEST:
S Mississippi
La Tech
Tulane
ULALA
N Texas
ULM
Troy
S Alabama
I had it this way.
East -----------West
Marshall ------- ASU
ECU ----------- NT
WKU ----------- LA Tech
UAB ----------- ULL
FIU ----------- ULM
FAU ----------- Tulane
MT ------------ SO Miss
Troy ---------- USA

TexasTrojan
02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
This would be football only ... other sports we would have to include Arkansas - Little Rock. I was going on travel ... southern Alabama going west through Miss. and Louisiana and grab North Texas. UAB and Arkansas St would be close to Tenn and Kentucky

mbolin9
02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
How about Georgia State in there somewhere? I am not sure what condition the CAA is in but just some wishful thinking.

Mr.E_205_Legion
02-16-2012, 10:07 PM
I definitely think that the SunBelt with the NEW commissioner is going to be PROactive in securing the stability of our conference! The words that stuck in my mind during the teleconference were geographical footprint and borders of Texas and Florida. (For the purpose of keeping within these borders and footprint THINK longitude lines).

Building on what has already been posted, I agree with:

Sunrise Division (East)
FIU
FAU
East Carolina
Marshall
Troy
UAB
MTSU
WKU

Sunset Division (West)
USA (they go West based on seniority - toss up between them and WKU)
Southern Miss
Tulane
ASU
ULM
La Tech
ULL
N Texas

NOW my personal wildcards IF any schools listed above are NOT interested:

Appalachian State University and Georgia Southern (not State) are both FCS schools with great sports History and both have already passed the FBS pre-requisite of attendance! These would easily replace any of the uninterested teams in the East Division.

Texas State and University of Texas-San Antonio are both FCS schools that have already committed to move to FBS in 2013/14 and have been accepted to the WAC. Since their leadership is already familar with our NEW commissioner, I would think they could easily replace any of the uninterested teams in the West Division.

NOW this is what I call a SUPER Conference :bounce012:

SFMTrojan
02-17-2012, 01:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7582660/incoming-sun-belt-commissioner-karl-benson-talks-expansion

BDM88
02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
OK I have a serious question on this matter. What makes any of us think we can get teams to come to the Sun Belt over the big CUSA/MWC merger? As I see it 95% of the the fans/people think the Sun Belt is a Nothing Conference? I mean we have proven that we are better than UAB and on Par with the MAC teams. But I just do not see any team from any other conference dropping down to the Sun Belt Level. And personally I think if you feel otherwise you have been blinded by our success over teams that either 1. Over looked us.
2. Had big games the following week.
3. Just flat out went through the motions.

Now I would love to see us get better teams in the league. But I have to be realistic here.

Am I the only one thinking this?

Possum
02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
OK I have a serious question on this matter. What makes any of us think we can get teams to come to the Sun Belt over the big CUSA/MWC merger? As I see it 95% of the the fans/people think the Sun Belt is a Nothing Conference? I mean we have proven that we are better than UAB and on Par with the MAC teams. But I just do not see any team from any other conference dropping down to the Sun Belt Level. And personally I think if you feel otherwise you have been blinded by our success over teams that either 1. Over looked us.

Now I would love to see us get better teams in the league. But I have to be realistic here.

I agree with you 100%.

Tums
02-17-2012, 05:14 PM

First off this whole thing is about $$$$$$$ and not what the name of the conference is. The CUSA /MWC merger was a good idea in September when it was football only. Now that it is an all sports merger the price tag just went up for schools already operating on a tight budget. See things like ECU has just been put in a position where womens soccer will probably have to travel nearly 4000 miles round trip (20K in air fares)to play a division rival in UTEP. LA tech definantly needs a new relationship instead of the WAC. I am saying the Sun Belt needs to offer them ANOTHER OPTION and be proactive instead of reactive. Sometimes on a budget it is better to be riding a Camaro with a tank of Gas instead of owning a Corvette sitting in the drive way on empty (with no gas money). The MERGER knows this also and that is why they are talking about 24 teams to make a more geographic balanced regional divisions. It is not that the SBC is better than the MWC / USA leftovers, it is about what will be financially beneficial for the future. If it was about the dog and pony show then UAB would have a new football stadium on campus already.

Burn the Horse
02-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Guys, stop insulting the Sun Belt Conference. this is not the SBC of a decade ago, we are lightyears ahead of where we were then. With all of the instability in college football now, a home like the Belt is something to be desired.

as funny as it sounds, the Sun Belt and the MAC are the most desirable locations for non-AQ teams. this monstrocity that has formed out of the leftovers from the MWC and C-USA is not going to be a longterm success, it's simply too spread out and lacks any big players.

We have been a major part of building the Sun Belt brand. It's taken us some time, but why would you want to jump ship to something else you had no business in building, when we have a league here that we can claim as our own little Trojan Empire? Don't be such turncoats.

The Sun Belt is our home and it will remain so probably forever. Let's continue to build it up and improve our brand. I think with all the flux in realignment you'll see that in the future the Belt and the MAC will benefit greatly.

CHughes1102
02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
when we have a league here that we can claim as our own little Trojan Empire?

Only in 2 sports out of the many.

The Sun Belt is our home and it will remain so probably forever.

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/cry/grand/83070246-cry-gif-.gif

BDM88
02-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Guys, stop insulting the Sun Belt Conference. this is not the SBC of a decade ago, we are lightyears ahead of where we were then. With all of the instability in college football now, a home like the Belt is something to be desired.

as funny as it sounds, the Sun Belt and the MAC are the most desirable locations for non-AQ teams. this monstrocity that has formed out of the leftovers from the MWC and C-USA is not going to be a longterm success, it's simply too spread out and lacks any big players.

We have been a major part of building the Sun Belt brand. It's taken us some time, but why would you want to jump ship to something else you had no business in building, when we have a league here that we can claim as our own little Trojan Empire? Don't be such turncoats.

The Sun Belt is our home and it will remain so probably forever. Let's continue to build it up and improve our brand. I think with all the flux in realignment you'll see that in the future the Belt and the MAC will benefit greatly.

The Answer to the Why Teams Would Leave is Money. Do you think if NT, MTSU, ULL, Ark St., FIU, FAU, WKU, And Even Troy were offered a Spot in a bigger conference that gives out/gets more money from bowls they would stay in the Belt? You are fooling yourself. The Belt is A Joke to everyone else in FBS except to the Fans/Schools in it. I will follow Troy no matter where we are playing Football even if they were forced to go back to FCS.(Trust me I wouldn't want that unless it became clear that Troy just can't afford to stay FBS) As CHUghes said we only compete in maybe Two sports out of the Many. But We As Fans have gotten so spoiled by our Domination of the Belt over the last few years in Football we think that we should be given the red carpet to a bigger spot. As Much As I love Troy we still have a long way to go. While I agree that the Belt is better now than ten years ago it is still on the bottom of FBS. Before Troy started it's Domination NT was the team to beat. Heck I do not remember ESPN even mentioning a Sun Belt team until the NO Bowl came to pass. Of Course unless some ranked team used the Belt teams a Practice dummies a week or so before a Big Conference game. And you know what they still do this just look at the ACC, SEC, and Big Ten schedules.

BDM88
02-18-2012, 01:53 AM
First off this whole thing is about $$$$$$$ and not what the name of the conference is. The CUSA /MWC merger was a good idea in September when it was football only. Now that it is an all sports merger the price tag just went up for schools already operating on a tight budget. See things like ECU has just been put in a position where womens soccer will probably have to travel nearly 4000 miles round trip (20K in air fares)to play a division rival in UTEP. LA tech definantly needs a new relationship instead of the WAC. I am saying the Sun Belt needs to offer them ANOTHER OPTION and be proactive instead of reactive. Sometimes on a budget it is better to be riding a Camaro with a tank of Gas instead of owning a Corvette sitting in the drive way on empty (with no gas money). The MERGER knows this also and that is why they are talking about 24 teams to make a more geographic balanced regional divisions. It is not that the SBC is better than the MWC / USA leftovers, it is about what will be financially beneficial for the future. If it was about the dog and pony show then UAB would have a new football stadium on campus already.

If They are doing a 24 team conference and break it down to regional divisions then maybe they make it so teams in the east only travel to the middle and teams out west do the same. IE east and Southeast teams play and Northwest and west teams play. Then set up a four team championship playoff over two weeks. But make it so the playoff games happen so the Final game is on the same weekend of the other Championships. Have it at a Neutral site in the Middle where all teams have the same travel. Not saying I lie it but it would be more logical this way.

Burn the Horse
02-18-2012, 09:59 AM
things change BDM. once this ridiclous monstrocity that is the "Alliance" falls apart, and it will, we will be in a position of strength as the two leagues seperate again and need new members to fill their ranks. I think you will find that the Sun Belt will continue to grow and add to our revenue as this P.O.S. mergConference begins to flounder.

the WAC is all but gone, the MAC has been stagnant for years, and now that C-USA and the MWC have come together to form their dreamworld Conference, we are the last man standing who still has room to grow. I suspect with Benson at the helm we will expand to 12, increase our television contract payout, and secure atleast one more bowl bid.

Things are all looking up for the Sun Belt. to jump ship now would only set our efforts back a decade. we've bled for this league, let's see our sacrifices rewarded rather than buy in to some cheap thrill.

Mr.E_205_Legion
02-18-2012, 10:13 AM
things change BDM. once this ridiclous monstrocity that is the "Alliance" falls apart, and it will, we will be in a position of strength as the two leagues seperate again and need new members to fill their ranks. I think you will find that the Sun Belt will continue to grow and add to our revenue as this P.O.S. mergConference begins to flounder.

the WAC is all but gone, the MAC has been stagnant for years, and now that C-USA and the MWC have come together to form their dreamworld Conference, we are the last man standing who still has room to grow. I suspect with Benson at the helm we will expand to 12, increase our television contract payout, and secure atleast one more bowl bid.

Things are all looking up for the Sun Belt. to jump ship now would only set our efforts back a decade. we've bled for this league, let's see our sacrifices rewarded rather than buy in to some cheap thrill.

BTH I could not AGREE MORE! Anyone who took the time to listen to or read the transcript from the teleconference announcing our new commissioner would discover that you have just unveiled the "plans for the future". :bounce012:

Rep points headed your way !!!

BDM88
02-19-2012, 12:51 AM
BTH I could not AGREE MORE! Anyone who took the time to listen to or read the transcript from the teleconference announcing our new commissioner would discover that you have just unveiled the "plans for the future". :bounce012:

Rep points headed your way !!!

Just because someone says they are going to fix the problem does not mean it will happen. Remember it is all about the Money in the NCAA/FBS/BCS! Wrong Waters had a vision for the Future of the Belt as well and where did it get him when he failed to live up to it? I am not saying this will happen and i hope for the best. Only Time will tell.

trojanbrutha
02-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Just because someone says they are going to fix the problem does not mean it will happen. Remember it is all about the Money in the NCAA/FBS/BCS! Wrong Waters had a vision for the Future of the Belt as well and where did it get him when he failed to live up to it? I am not saying this will happen and i hope for the best. Only Time will tell.

The presidents and ADs run the show and he did what they wanted, while attempting to advise them along the way. If you have a problem with the way he did things, focus that in the direct it needs to be in...Our Dear Leader and Co.

BDM88
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
The presidents and ADs run the show and he did what they wanted, while attempting to advise them along the way. If you have a problem with the way he did things, focus that in the direct it needs to be in...Our Dear Leader and Co.

So In other words since As you say it, Our Dear Leader and Co. are running the show? Then We are Doomed to be bottom feeders. I had no Problem with the Belt when it looked like we were getting a Third solid Bowl tie in and a Possible two others. The Problem I had was we found out neither of those were solid at all. Yes The Belt sent three teams to Bowls but one of those should have been WKU in my mind. Whether it is Wright "Wrong" Waters or this new guy if this Conference is going to get better things have to change.

trojanbrutha
02-19-2012, 10:18 PM
So In other words since As you say it, Our Dear Leader and Co. are running the show? Then We are Doomed to be bottom feeders. I had no Problem with the Belt when it looked like we were getting a Third solid Bowl tie in and a Possible two others. The Problem I had was we found out neither of those were solid at all. Yes The Belt sent three teams to Bowls but one of those should have been WKU in my mind. Whether it is Wright "Wrong" Waters or this new guy if this Conference is going to get better things have to change.

Not so much other words as they are yours. Some of you guys here are so melodramatic...Call him what you will, but the SBC is only as good as the product we and the members make it. When you have a 9 team league and only 3-4 are getting bowl eligible from year-to-year, tis that the commish's fault? Nah...Teams get bowl bids and the fans don't show, you blaming the commish for that too, huh? Dr Hawkins and the rest of the presidents and/or chancellors made a choice...a choice to retain Waters several years back when he said he was retiring. Now, they have made another choice. After last season, ULL and stAte whooped some folks, including us. I'd say that was change. And if you felt like wku should've gone bowling...the advice I'd give you and them...start lobbying earlier like FIU did. It worked wonders for their post-season hopes.

BDM88
02-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Some of you guys here are so melodramatic...Call him what you will, but the SBC is only as good as the product we and the members make it.
And if you felt like wku should've gone bowling...the advice I'd give you and them...start lobbying earlier like FIU did. It worked wonders for their post-season hopes.

That is a Two way street. There are a bunch of people doing the same with current coaches still. I decided to see where the cards that have been dealt take us. Again I will Follow Troy no matter what. But The SBC is what it is. As For WKU going bowling they finished 2nd behind Ark St. there only loss in the SBC was to Ark St. They Beat Both ULL and FIU. So What should have been WKU we got FIU. I had no Problem with LALA going.

trojanbrutha
02-20-2012, 01:42 PM
That is a Two way street. There are a bunch of people doing the same with current coaches still. I decided to see where the cards that have been dealt take us. Again I will Follow Troy no matter what. But The SBC is what it is. As For WKU going bowling they finished 2nd behind Ark St. there only loss in the SBC was to Ark St. They Beat Both ULL and FIU. So What should have been WKU we got FIU. I had no Problem with LALA going.

In '08, TROY sat at home...I believe they should've gone, but the reality of the situation is a track-record. That was the factor that keep them home. FIU lobbied off last season's Little Ceasar's numbers. ULL was the team the NO Bowl has been waiting for and they got the turn-out they expected.

As far a WW goes, I, frankly, think he's gotten the short end of the stick with fans. Now, the same thing looks to be happening to Benson and he hasn't worked a day for the SBC yet. No commissioner will be able to do any more that the big-Whigs want him/her to do.

redwaver
02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Not so much other words as they are yours. Some of you guys here are so melodramatic...Call him what you will, but the SBC is only as good as the product we and the members make it. When you have a 9 team league and only 3-4 are getting bowl eligible from year-to-year, tis that the commish's fault? Nah...Teams get bowl bids and the fans don't show, you blaming the commish for that too, huh? Dr Hawkins and the rest of the presidents and/or chancellors made a choice...a choice to retain Waters several years back when he said he was retiring. Now, they have made another choice. After last season, ULL and stAte whooped some folks, including us. I'd say that was change. And if you felt like wku should've gone bowling...the advice I'd give you and them...start lobbying earlier like FIU did. It worked wonders for their post-season hopes.
What also works wonders for our two Florida members is the fact that several bowls are played here in our Sunshine State and that alone will get you a front seat at the pinkin' table IF you won enough games. Trust me, FIU went to their bowl game ahead of WKU because of where they were located and nothing else. The gamble is south Florida residents would come see one of their/our own ahead of a team from Keeeentucky!:bounce012:

BDM88
02-20-2012, 09:18 PM
In '08, TROY sat at home...I believe they should've gone, but the reality of the situation is a track-record. That was the factor that keep them home. FIU lobbied off last season's Little Ceasar's numbers. ULL was the team the NO Bowl has been waiting for and they got the turn-out they expected.

As far a WW goes, I, frankly, think he's gotten the short end of the stick with fans. Now, the same thing looks to be happening to Benson and he hasn't worked a day for the SBC yet. No commissioner will be able to do any more that the big-Whigs want him/her to do.

You May be right about WW. As I said I had no problem until the Big Talk that all involved spewed out and it got us nothing. As For The New Guy I am just not sold on him but even if I do not agree Just like our current Coaching problem I am going to wait and see how it goes. As Us in '08 it was a hard pill to swallow but back then we didn't have the GMAC/GoDaddy.com Bowl.

Buzz Lightyear
02-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Read on Lousiana Tech site their almost obsession with getting to the Alliance vs. coming to Belt........Many have asked why would someone come to the Belt......stability and future......Why would anyone have purchased Walmart stock way back when.....I am not comparing the Belt to one of the success companies of the U.S.A. but it is simple if we the Belt keep moving forward some of the alliance may view us as a way to contend and get just as much or more exposure to eventually get to the A.Q. world or maybe even just to have a more sensible and ADEQUATE conference to be in as the conference is moving.......No perception is we suck.....but less than 5 years or 10 years ago......look at average stars for recruitment for the Belt vs. 6 years ago.........UNT will probably be approached due to location, market, and size of school.....but a bird in the hand in this volatile time is something.....

But a stock on the rise even if not that attractive at the moment is a safer bet than a potential DOT COM stock......TV money will not pour into the alliance.......If LaTech is left out by alliance they will come to the Belt arrogance and all and unless they dominate they will be stuck with Belt as it grows and lo and behold USM may not be that far behind......Match up some games if THEY the alliance have any non-conference (which they will not) but match in bowls and the Belt may well have the upper hand within another 5 years.........I for one think it is crazy to say that 3 or 4 years ago that the Belt was the best place to be.......so just maybe with a cheap stock like the belt we will be able to say .......dang I was glad to have bought that Wal Mart stock in 1972.....

dgoebel
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Just to make a corection, we sat home in 2007 not 2008. I was in NO watching us play Southern Miss in 2008. 2007 was the year FAU beat us and we didn't get a Bowl Invite. I also hope that 2011 was the last year that us fans don't get to go to New Orleans or Mobile :thumb:

Possum
02-23-2012, 03:40 PM
My dream sun belt...

East

TROY
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
FIU (Even though they'll probably leave soon)
FAU
App. State ( I know its a slim chance)
MTSU
USA

West

ULL
ULM
aSu
USM ( I know its a slim chance)
WKU
UNT
UCA (Central Arkansas) ( I know its a slim chance)
Texas State

Burn the Horse
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
My dream sun belt...

East

TROY
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
FIU (Even though they'll probably leave soon)
FAU
App. State ( I know its a slim chance)
MTSU
USA

West

ULL
ULM
aSu
USM ( I know its a slim chance)
WKU
UNT
UCA (Central Arkansas) ( I know its a slim chance)
Texas State

No to Georgia State and H*** no to Central Arkansas. :rollinglaugh:

Everyone else looks good though.

Possum
02-23-2012, 06:04 PM
My bad, I forgot about UALR in the Little Rock market, since they don't play football...

Georgia State does seem like they are snobs when it comes to the belt... the "I'm better than you" attitude. Kinda like Loser Tech.

Burn the Horse
02-23-2012, 06:49 PM
please don't post that list on SunBeltbbs.com, you'll get laughed at.

quietstorm
02-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Here is an article from the Atlanta-Journal Constitution. Georgia State is exploring possiblities of moving up. Troy and Georgia State were in the Trans-Atlantic Conference together at one point. GA State is in the Atlanta media market, has over 32,000 student, similar to schools in Sun Belt with young football programs like Florida Atlantic. GA State's basketball program is on the rise. I'm sure the Sun Belt schools would love to visit Atlanta for a football game.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-exploring-fbs-1357698.html

By Doug Roberson

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Georgia State could join Georgia Tech and Georgia as FBS members by 2014-15.

Georgia State’s athletic department commissioned a report that explores the expenses and revenues associated with moving from FCS, in which the Panthers currently play, to FBS, which features bowl games and the BCS.

The report concludes that “GSU is well-positioned to make a transition to FBS” and “that the Sun Belt would be the best fit.” A draft of the report, along with the contract between Georgia State and the authors, Atlanta-based Collegiate Consulting, was obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution through the Freedom of Information Act. The report cost $20,000.

Athletic director Cheryl Levick said that no decisions have been made and that Georgia State hasn’t received any invitation from any conferences. She declined to comment on the report, which focuses mostly on the financial aspects if GSU were invited to join the Big East, Conference USA, Sun Belt, Mid-American or Western Athletic conferences. The Panthers are members of the Colonial Athletic Association. Georgia State’s football team will play its inaugural CAA schedule later this year.

“We are performing our due diligence to fully understand potential opportunities in the rapidly changing landscape of college athletics and particularly college football,” Levick said in a statement. “We will evaluate the information in the feasibility study to determine the best course of action for Georgia State.”

A school that has been invited to join a conference that plays football on the FBS level must submit a notice to reclassify, along with an application, strategic plan and philosophy statement, and pay a $5,000 fee to the NCAA. The NCAA’s annual deadline for receiving such packages is June 1, with a required postmark by May 25.

If Georgia State were to accept an invitation from an FBS conference, and the NCAA allowed the transition, the Panthers could play in a bowl game, if they qualify, as early as the 2014 season.

There would be other issues: Georgia State likely would have to pay a minimum exit fee of $250,000 if it were to leave the CAA, as well as forfeit participation in the conference’s revenue-sharing plan, which could mean as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars. There also would be an entry fee to another conference. Those fees can range from the Sun Belt’s $300,000 to the Conference USA’s $2 million, according the report.

CAA commissioner Tom Yeager said he understands why GSU commissioned the report, noting that several CAA schools have done so. He declined to name them.

“Oftentimes, when people visualize the idea of moving up, they have visions of the very top end of the BCS, the SECs, the ACCs of the world,” Yeager said. “When in fact, their entry into that division are at a much, much lower level.

“Oftentimes, those types of consulting reports are as much as a validation of where they are as they are the public’s assumption that we are moving up.”

More than a dozen schools have conducted FBS feasibility studies within the past three years. Three of those schools — former CAA member Massachusetts, Texas San Antonio and Texas State — became members of conferences with FBS teams. Villanova, a Big East member in every sport other than football, has remained in the CAA.

Karl Benson, who will take over as commissioner of the Sun Belt as early as April 1, said he didn’t want to comment on Georgia State’s study until then.

“I don’t think there’s any sense of urgency right now,” he said.

He did say last week that his conference is looking to expand, but prefers existing FBS schools.

Georgia State is well-positioned to move to the Sun Belt from a budgetary standpoint, according to the report. Its projected $22.9 million in revenues in 2011-12 is 44 percent more than the average Sun Belt member, according to the report. However, the difference in those revenues can be traced to student fees: Georgia State receives more than $16.5 million compared with $5.6 million for an average Sun Belt school. Conversely, the average Sun Belt school received $1.5 million in game guarantees to GSU’s $440,500.

The average revenues and expenses for the conferences included in the report are from previous years and are in the process of being updated to give Georgia State the most accurate information.

Georgia State’s revenues are almost $24 million less than the average Big East school and 23 percent less than Conference USA.

“Institutional support would need to increase, but the primary increase would come from externally driven revenue from athletics,” according to the report.

Georgia State’s expenses of $22 million are $19 million less than what they would spend as members of the Big East in 2014-15, according to the report’s projections.

Possum
02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Why doesn't UALR play football anyway? Is it because the HAWGS (:sick016: don't want competition from one of their branch campuses?

Mr.E_205_Legion
02-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Georgia State does seem like they are snobs when it comes to the belt... the "I'm better than you" attitude. Kinda like Loser Tech.

For the record, Georgia State WAS in the Sun Belt. I personally think the CURRENT Sun Belt can get a better quality program than OLD member GSU!

trojanbrutha
02-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Just to make a corection, we sat home in 2007 not 2008. I was in NO watching us play Southern Miss in 2008. 2007 was the year FAU beat us and we didn't get a Bowl Invite. I also hope that 2011 was the last year that us fans don't get to go to New Orleans or Mobile :thumb:

I stand corrected...I too was there in NO...who could forget Jorrick stealing a pitch for a TD also cringed when D. Brown broke his leg...

mbolin9
02-23-2012, 11:40 PM
I definitely think that the SunBelt with the NEW commissioner is going to be PROactive in securing the stability of our conference! The words that stuck in my mind during the teleconference were geographical footprint and borders of Texas and Florida. (For the purpose of keeping within these borders and footprint THINK longitude lines).

Building on what has already been posted, I agree with:

Sunrise Division (East)
FIU
FAU
East Carolina
Marshall
Troy
UAB
MTSU
WKU

Sunset Division (West)
USA (they go West based on seniority - toss up between them and WKU)
Southern Miss
Tulane
ASU
ULM
La Tech
ULL
N Texas

NOW my personal wildcards IF any schools listed above are NOT interested:

Appalachian State University and Georgia Southern (not State) are both FCS schools with great sports History and both have already passed the FBS pre-requisite of attendance! These would easily replace any of the uninterested teams in the East Division.

Texas State and University of Texas-San Antonio are both FCS schools that have already committed to move to FBS in 2013/14 and have been accepted to the WAC. Since their leadership is already familar with our NEW commissioner, I would think they could easily replace any of the uninterested teams in the West Division.

NOW this is what I call a SUPER Conference :bounce012:

Yes. Georgia SOUTHERN. My bad. I think that was the night I was writing my Slaughterhouse 5 paper ha. But IMO they would be better than some of the current members and they fit in geographically.

dgoebel
02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I stand corrected...I too was there in NO...who could forget Jorrick stealing a pitch for a TD also cringed when D. Brown broke his leg...

That leg break was gruesome!! I can remember our DB freaking out in the end zone when he saw his leg. Trojanbrutha I am ready to go back to the Big Easy next season, how bout you?

trojanbrutha
02-24-2012, 12:45 PM
That leg break was gruesome!! I can remember our DB freaking out in the end zone when he saw his leg. Trojanbrutha I am ready to go back to the Big Easy next season, how bout you?

I enjoyed the Big Easy, also Mobile. Truthfully, I'm ready for something bigger. Gimme a BC$ Bowl! :thumb:

BDM88
02-25-2012, 07:41 AM
I enjoyed the Big Easy, also Mobile. Truthfully, I'm ready for something bigger. Gimme a BC$ Bowl! :thumb:

And Pigs will fly out of my butt! A BCS Bowl for a Sun belt team? That is not gonna happen even if we go 12-0! we may crack the top 25 but the highest we could go is 15th. And even if by some fluke we would have to win by 50 points in every game including Navy and Miss St.

Sly Fox
02-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Just registered on the forum and yes I am a Liberty alum. Before you laugh me out of the joint, I just wanted to pose a question to you all:

How would many of you who feel the Sun Belt is on the rise react if you found out the league had been doing site visits to several FCS schools?

CHughes1102
02-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Just registered on the forum and yes I am a Liberty alum. Before you laugh me out of the joint, I just wanted to pose a question to you all:

How would many of you who feel the Sun Belt is on the rise react if you found out the league had been doing site visits to several FCS schools?

Not laughing at all. Liberty has a good program, nice facilities, just signed a good coach, and they have an awesome logo!!

Oh and you guys signed a receiver, Darrin Peterson, out of Etowah High School that I am extremely familiar with. He's pretty dang good!!

dgoebel
02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
First, welcome to the board. Secondly, it doesn't surprise me the Sun Belt is visiting some FCS schools and I would guess that 3 of them are Texas State, App. St, and Ga. Southern. All 3 would be competitive in all sports and bring as much to the table as some existing Sun Belt teams. The 3 mentioned have also expressed interest in moving to FBS also. The Sun Belt also realizes it could lose some key schools to other conferences. UNT would be a candidate for C-USA with Rice and SMU already in it, WKU is a MAC candidate, FIU, and FAU could be C-USA or Big East candidates, and ULL could be C-USA material also. Makes sense to be pro-active just in case.

Tums
02-27-2012, 01:03 PM

I think the SunBelt has learned from watching the other conferences to be ready for a fluid enviroment. It is clear that the SunBelt is going to get NEW members. The question is will it be for Expansion or replacing lost members?

BDM88
02-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Did anyone catch yesterday's College Football talk on ESPN? I only caught the tail end but they were talking about the Big Merger and how it will cause more than one conference to fold in the near future. They seem to think that the Big Ones ACC, Big East, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC 12, CUSA/MWC Merger will be there. So I guess they think that the Belt, WAC, MAC will fold as a result. Can anyone add more?

Burn the Horse
02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Our stAte INsider for SunBeltbbs.com is reporting that the newest members will be La Tech and Texas State.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=557537

Troy87
02-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Our stAte INsider for SunBeltbbs.com is reporting that the newest members will be La Tech and Texas State.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=557537

Let me know when ArKStFan says it. When he puts it out there, then I know it's solid.

Sly Fox
02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Based on discussion on many SunBelt boards it appeared that most fans believe it is insane for the league to be considering any FCS schools as part of replacement or expansion. For the record, the current FCS schools that have already openly expressed an interest in FBS membership or actually accepted an invitation are:

Appalachian State
Charlotte
Georgia State
Illinois State
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Texas State
UTSA (technically never FCS but in FCS league)

Others that have toyed with the idea in the past and likely have long-term aspirations:

Delaware
Georgia Southern
James Madison
Montana
Old Dominion
Sam Houston State

Theoretically, this is the pool from which any FCS selection will be made. And frankly the list of schools prepared to make the jump shrinks back to a few from the original list.

And before you dismiss those candidates out of hand because of their current FCS status, several of them would have among the highest budgets in the SBC and have facilities that are comparable or in some cases perhaps better than current SBC facilities.

Just something to chew on as the plans move forward. I personally believe the chances that either UTSA or Texas State remain in the WAC beyond this summer are about as close to none as they come. Obviously the same is the case for current FBS school La Tech.

I can tell you that I have knowledge that several FCS schools are in contact with C-USA. Whether or not that leads to an invitation is purely speculative. But at a time when MTSU is admitting they've had no such contact, it indicates how some leagues are looking beyond labels for long term potential.

Burn the Horse
02-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Based on discussion on many SunBelt boards it appeared that most fans believe it is insane for the league to be considering any FCS schools as part of replacement or expansion.

That's not true at all Sly Fox. Our number one expansion candidates are openly App State and Texas State over on SunBeltbbs.com and that is very obvious. We are very anti-Tech.

Sly Fox
02-28-2012, 05:18 PM
You have in fact been a vocal guy on that board. I was referencing a general sentiment at school sites.

I agree that the schools in Boone & San Marcos along with my alma mater are the best prepared to make the move since all three schools have made commitments to prepare for FBS for many years. Others like ODU & Charlotte are promising upstarts but may be not quite ready to roll.

Burn the Horse
02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
You have in fact been a vocal guy on that board.

I should be, I'm a lead Moderator over there. :thumb: