PDA

View Full Version : joing CUSA

mbelcher987
02-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Would TROY join CUSA? obviously you guys need to improve basketball :taunt003: a lot. For football, you are one of the few schools in the sun belt that plays football most years. (we'll throw out this last one)

So IF CUSA did raid the SBC, who do you guys think will be taken?

(i did my best to not bring any smack talk)

JPSousa1898
02-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the board man!

We've speculated on here several times about the possibility, of a CUSA move, but the consensus seems to be that while it would be great for us that we're not the type of institution that the CUSA wants. Schools such as Rice, Houston, and Southern Miss all have larger endowments and student bodies that would dwarf what we have and cause the conference to frown upon our membership. While we could be competitive athletically, I, along with others on here, don't believe that the conference would take us for non-athletic reasons.

That being said, I don't think we would say no if we're offered an invitation the the party. That would be rude. :bounce012:

Lego
02-08-2012, 02:18 PM

We've speculated on here several times about the possibility, of a CUSA move, but the consensus seems to be that while it would be great for us that we're not the type of institution that the CUSA wants. Schools such as Rice, Houston, and Southern Miss all have larger endowments and student bodies that would dwarf what we have and cause the conference to frown upon our membership. While we could be competitive athletically, I, along with others on here, don't believe that the conference would take us for non-athletic reasons.

That being said, I don't think we would say no if we're offered an invitation the the party. That would be rude. :bounce012:

Perfect response. 100%

dgoebel
02-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Rice only has about 2,000 students but it has much richer alumni than Troy. I would love to see Troy in CUSA but there at least 7 Sun Belt teams that would be chosen ahead of us....FIU, FAU, MTSU, UNT, ULL, WKU and ASU. Just because of market size, enrollment, and money.

mbelcher987
02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Rice only has about 2,000 students but it has much richer alumni than Troy. I would love to see Troy in CUSA but there at least 7 Sun Belt teams that would be chosen ahead of us....FIU, FAU, MTSU, UNT, ULL, WKU and ASU. Just because of market size, enrollment, and money.

and in another 4 years USA will be on that list.
24,198 Arkansas State
21,357 Middle Tenn
21,323 South Alabama
20,772 WKU
20,379 North Texas
19,872 FIU
18,103 Troy

50,012 ECU **somehow they aren't BCS yet?
25,874 Marshall
28,400 USM
22,541 TULSA
26,948 UTEP
17,329 RICE
16,579 UAB
19,771 Tulane* I can tell you guys this is a lie.

Geographically we need something in the UARk area for UTEP and TULSA to bridge that gap. LA tech has even been mentioned. MTSU and or WKU for MARSHAL and ECU.

I really hate this non geographical nonsense.

Pcbtrojan
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the board. I agree with the other Belt schools being picked ahead of us. I think it will be a team with a AD budget similar to USM or above. Its ok though, we will see them in a bowl game.

Burn the Horse
02-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Now that C-USA is being raided and all of its best programs are leaving, I see little reason why we would want to go from a stable and geographically sound Conference to one that posesses neither quality.

Actually, I think if the Sun Belt membership can stand firm, WE could be the raiders and C-USA will go bye bye. I've heard a lot of Conference USA fans mock that idea, but with your best programs gone I doubt the bowl tie-ins and television contracts will survive. You guys are the next WAC.

I'd much rather see the Sun Belt absorb Southern Miss and one other regional C-USA school. With our improving brand and the addition of one or two solid programs I don't see why we couldn't steal the tie-ins and tv contracts that have helped Conference USA establish its brand thus far.

Mr.E_205_Legion
02-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Now that C-USA is being raided and all of its best programs are leaving, I see little reason why we would want to go from a stable and geographically sound Conference to one that posesses neither quality.

Actually, I think if the Sun Belt membership can stand firm, WE could be the raiders and C-USA will go bye bye. I've heard a lot of Conference USA fans mock that idea, but with your best programs gone I doubt the bowl tie-ins and television contracts will survive. You guys are the next WAC.

I'd much rather see the Sun Belt absorb Southern Miss and one other regional C-USA school. With our improving brand and the addition of one or two solid programs I don't see why we couldn't steal the tie-ins and tv contracts that have helped Conference USA establish its brand thus far.

AMEN BROTHER! That is what I have been thinking over the past few months as all of the changes began to occur. Long live the STABLE SunBelt!!

mbelcher987
02-10-2012, 01:46 PM

CUSA fans said the same thing about the big east right before 4 schools left. we still have our core schools left, and we have 6 bowl tie ins, that number will kind of decrease considering we only have 8 members now, but that's still more than the sun belts 1?,2?

It's been reported that most every SBC school has applied to CUSA and the alliance. That is, if the alliance goes through. If not most likely they'll raid the SBC and both the SBC and WAC will be left with like 5 teams each.

the Big east really only took 1 basketball school and 2 football schools, SMU really wasn't top of the pack in either.

Burn the Horse
02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
The difference is the Big East has AQ status, C-USA does not. If the Alliance goes through that will strengthen the position, but if it doesn't then leaving a geographically sound Sun Belt for a gutted Conference USA makes no sense.