PDA

View Full Version : La Parota

goe1975
02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Man, what happened to La Parota?! They not only closed, they tore down the building!

trojanchad
02-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I have purchased the land and I will be building a brewery. :eatdrink004:

Parota will be relocate and the site will be used for a cell phone store are the rumors I've heard. I think the Verizon dealer is moving.

troy4ever21
02-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Is that the place next to Taco Bell?

goe1975
02-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Is that the place next to Taco Bell?

Yep. It was run by the same people who run Monarchas. I hadn't been there in a while (we go to Rodeos every week), but I could not believe it had been flattened.

troy4ever21
02-09-2012, 07:18 PM
I went there once my freshmen year (2008) and they charged us for extra chips/salsa. I never went back. Now that we have Rodeo there's no other Mexican joint I eat at, it's very good quality for the price. If I want a better atmosphere for friends and drinking I go to Monarchas.

troy4ever21
02-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Well hopefully they'll put something useful there. Troy desperately needs new restaurants...

goe1975
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I went there once my freshmen year (2008) and they charged us for extra chips/salsa. I never went back. Now that we have Rodeo there's no other Mexican joint I eat at, it's very good quality for the price. If I want a better atmosphere for friends and drinking I go to Monarchas.

I agree. Rodeo has good food, great service, and really good drink specials. Does Monarchas still have a mariachi band? Those guys were really good.

TroyDrum89
02-12-2012, 12:19 PM
For the last year or two, I've heard rumors of a Chick-fil-A coming into town. Has anyone heard why the La Parota was bulldozed over? Maybe a new restaurant will take its place? Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings around town.

Burn the Horse
02-12-2012, 12:31 PM
the only reason I could see them demolishing the whole building is to clear the land for a new structure.

TrojanFanatic
02-12-2012, 01:43 PM
For the last year or two, I've heard rumors of a Chick-fil-A coming into town. Has anyone heard why the La Parota was bulldozed over? Maybe a new restaurant will take its place? Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings around town.

Wouldn't that kill the one in TC though? A student can save the points and go to a "real" one for cheaper, even with gas included, and possibly get better service than what we can get in TC

TroyDrum89
02-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Wouldn't that kill the one in TC though? A student can save the points and go to a "real" one for cheaper, even with gas included, and possibly get better service than what we can get in TC

I don't think it will "kill" the one in the TC. If you take your scenario and reverse it, a student can save their cash and use points on campus. Honestly, I wish they would shut that one down in the Trojan Center. That thing brings shame to every Chick-fil-A I've ever been to. Terrible service and the sandwiches don't even taste right.

The only reason I asked about something new coming in was to see if anybody had heard anything. I had a feeling one of those restaurants would close soon as having 3 of them in such close proximity of one another seemed a bit much considering the size of the city.

TrojanFanatic
02-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Yea, I was just asking opinions really, I don't normally eat Chic-Fil-A but when I have eaten it off of campus, it's so much better, and you can actually order something else to drink other than cokes from a fountain that don't always have ice/syrup/etc. (by something else I mean a milkshake) I think that we need a sports bar to come, but that's just my opinion

troy4ever21
02-13-2012, 01:03 AM
NO MORE CHICKEN/SANDWICH PLACES! Here's a list of Chicken places: Crowes, Zaxbys, Trojan Center Chic-Fil-A, KFC, Popeyes, and Taste&See. Here's a list of sandwich places: 2 Subways, Momma Goldbergs, Firehouse Subs, Trojan Center Subconnection, Boar's Head Deli, Campus Deli (now closed), and the countless fast food joints. We need real restaurants in Troy. Who is going to get a brain and build a pizza buffet in Troy? Why not a great place for college kids to hang out like Buffalo Wild Wings? Perhaps an Olive Garden? I don't know about you, but I'm tired of Ruby Tuesdays being our one and only "up-scale" restaurant in Troy.

My parents live in Martinsburg, WV. It has a population of 14,000+ and the nearest Division 1 university is WVU, over 200 miles away. Last I checked Troy has a population of 18,000+ and has a Division 1 university in city limits. With that being said, Martinsburg has a medium size mall, a large strip mall that includes Best Buy/Target, and plenty of restaurants.

Why is Troy so far behind? My guess is all the old farts are still clinging to control of the town and won't let Troy embrace the very thing that put them on the map. Of course there are some who say we don't need anything because Montgomery and Dothan aren't far away. Yeah, so what? Martinsburg, WV is less than 20 miles in either direction from Winchester, VA and Hagerstown, MD, both of which are fairly large cities. Dothan and Montgomery are around 50 miles away from Troy. There's no excuse.

Sorry for the rant... This topic just really gets on my nerves.

Burn the Horse
02-13-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm with ya troy4ever21...on all points.

TroyDrum89
02-13-2012, 08:42 AM
NO MORE CHICKEN/SANDWICH PLACES! Here's a list of Chicken places: Crowes, Zaxbys, Trojan Center Chic-Fil-A, KFC, Popeyes, and Taste&See. Here's a list of sandwich places: 2 Subways, Momma Goldbergs, Firehouse Subs, Trojan Center Subconnection, Boar's Head Deli, Campus Deli (now closed), and the countless fast food joints. We need real restaurants in Troy. Who is going to get a brain and build a pizza buffet in Troy? Why not a great place for college kids to hang out like Buffalo Wild Wings? Perhaps an Olive Garden? I don't know about you, but I'm tired of Ruby Tuesdays being our one and only "up-scale" restaurant in Troy.

My parents live in Martinsburg, WV. It has a population of 14,000+ and the nearest Division 1 university is WVU, over 200 miles away. Last I checked Troy has a population of 18,000+ and has a Division 1 university in city limits. With that being said, Martinsburg has a medium size mall, a large strip mall that includes Best Buy/Target, and plenty of restaurants.

Why is Troy so far behind? My guess is all the old farts are still clinging to control of the town and won't let Troy embrace the very thing that put them on the map. Of course there are some who say we don't need anything because Montgomery and Dothan aren't far away. Yeah, so what? Martinsburg, WV is less than 20 miles in either direction from Winchester, VA and Hagerstown, MD, both of which are fairly large cities. Dothan and Montgomery are around 50 miles away from Troy. There's no excuse.

Sorry for the rant... This topic just really gets on my nerves.

I think a lot of the issue with this is the cost of commercial real estate on 231. New business owners are reluctant to invest thousands of dollars into a new restaurant or bar only to get stiffed over the summer due to the lack of students in the area. I don't remember how much I heard some of those lots are, but it is really something ridiculous. Business owners are better off packing it up and taking their restaurants and stores up to Montgomery purely based on real estate costs.

The failure of so many businesses (especially restaurants) in the Troy area makes this very apparent; at least to me it does.

EDIT: I'm totally with you, by the way. Ever since coming here in 2007, it's been frustrating (to say the least) trying to find things to do and places to eat a nice meal. I think if there is one excuse, it would be these outrageous real estate costs.

TrojanWarrior418
02-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Hate to hear Campus Deli is closed now. I worked for the original owners Tony and Elise back in 2006. Small place but very good food. Spoiled me when it came to sandwiches and Italian cusine. Thanks to the pastrami, rueben, Godfather, grouper fillet, and meatball sandwiches there I can never walk into a Subway again.

goe1975
02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Ruby Tuesdays? Who the heck eats there? Chain restaurants are not "upscale". What's wrong with Santa Fe and Mikata? Golden Crane has good sushi. The Pines? Mossy Grove? Yanni's failed, there was a really good Italian place before Yanni's near First Baptist that failed, Ziggy's had great Greek food but it failed. And as far as property, I understand Mr. Crowe owns most of the property on 231. He owned the building where La Parota was.

trojanchad
02-13-2012, 03:39 PM
I'd love to have a Five Guys. Speaking of Troy restaurant failures Daylight Donuts is gone... again.

TroyDrum89
02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Ruby Tuesdays? Who the heck eats there? Chain restaurants are not "upscale". What's wrong with Santa Fe and Mikata? Golden Crane has good sushi. The Pines? Mossy Grove? Yanni's failed, there was a really good Italian place before Yanni's near First Baptist that failed, Ziggy's had great Greek food but it failed. And as far as property, I understand Mr. Crowe owns most of the property on 231. He owned the building where La Parota was.

While I won't go and list all of the many "chain restaurants" that are in fact upscale, I will say that Ruby Tuesday's is the only one in Troy within a fair price range that you can have a quiet meal with family/friends. The atmosphere is calm, whereas Santa Fe has loud music and a noisy atmosphere (not the ideal place for when the family comes into town). Mikata is nice, but the prices are considerably high.

troy4ever21
02-13-2012, 04:35 PM

Many people and many enjoy it, I know I do. I wasn't implying that Ruby Tuesdays was up-scale. Just mentioning that it's sad how it can be considered as our only "up-scale" restaurant. Golden Crane is amazing as is Santa Fe and Mikata. Thanks to our large international student population and student interest in international cuisine we have places like Mikata and Golden Crane. My problem is the lack of variety and places to eat on Saturday nights after a game.

By the way, students don't eat at The Pines or Mossy Grove. I assume those restaurants are geared towards a more local and older crowd, no offense.

FoulPolePhenom
02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Many people and many enjoy it, I know I do. I wasn't implying that Ruby Tuesdays was up-scale. Just mentioning that it's sad how it can be considered as our only "up-scale" restaurant. Golden Crane is amazing as is Santa Fe and Mikata. Thanks to our large international student population and student interest in international cuisine we have places like Mikata and Golden Crane. My problem is the lack of variety and places to eat on Saturday nights after a game.

By the way, students don't eat at The Pines or Mossy Grove. I assume those restaurants are geared towards a more local and older crowd, no offense.

Actually I'd say plenty of students eat/work at Mossy Grove. It's intended for anyone who is hungry. It's a good place to eat with a different type of atmosphere.

troy4ever21
02-13-2012, 04:40 PM
I also agree about the property problems on 231. I know a lot of the businesses that use buildings owned by Mr. Crowe fail. Hibachi Express, The Locker Room 1 & 2, Blimpie, La Parota, etc...

troy4ever21
02-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Actually I'd say plenty of students eat/work at Mossy Grove. It's intended for anyone who is hungry. It's a good place to eat with a different type of atmosphere.

I'm going by my personal experiences. None of my friends or people close to me at TROY have ever even stepped foot in the place. Not to say that it isn't good, just that we have never given it a chance.

My friends and I have to keep it cheap when we eat off campus unless our parents are in town. :thumb:

goe1975
02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Maybe they could get rid of Countrys and put in a Chilis or TGI Fridays....wait does Crowe own that one too?

FoulPolePhenom
02-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm going by my personal experiences. None of my friends or people close to me at TROY have ever even stepped foot in the place. Not to say that it isn't good, just that we have never given it a chance.

My friends and I have to keep it cheap when we eat off campus unless our parents are in town. :thumb:

You should check it out, it's not expensive and it's good food.

TroyDrum89
02-14-2012, 08:58 AM
You should check it out, it's not expensive and it's good food.

Agreed. It's a great place to get some homestyle cookin'. Only issue is that it's slightly out of the way and in a tiny, old building. Wasn't it an old schoolhouse or church? I can't quite remember.

JonesOxygen
02-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Per the Troy Messenger a few weeks back. La Parota will re open somewhere at some point and time. Translation, somebody paid them a lot of money for that property. I have heard a Verizon store, I guess they out grew their other location. I have also heard very strong rumblings of Chick Fil A coming, not in that spot, just Troy in general. As for food in Troy, it will always be a struggle because of the turnover of people, whether it's college students or people passing through town. Ruby Tuesdays has gotten better in my opinion, Santa Fe gets worse and worse (mostly service). Half Shell and Mossy Grove are very consistent and I never have a problem with ether one. Country's should have closed 5 years ago. Hooks is good, not a fan of Rodeo or the Pines. I hate seeing all of the empty buildings on 231.

TroyDrum89
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Per the Troy Messenger a few weeks back. La Parota will re open somewhere at some point and time. Translation, somebody paid them a lot of money for that property. I have heard a Verizon store, I guess they out grew their other location. I have also heard very strong rumblings of Chick Fil A coming, not in that spot, just Troy in general. As for food in Troy, it will always be a struggle because of the turnover of people, whether it's college students or people passing through town. Ruby Tuesdays has gotten better in my opinion, Santa Fe gets worse and worse (mostly service). Half Shell and Mossy Grove are very consistent and I never have a problem with ether one. Country's should have closed 5 years ago. Hooks is good, not a fan of Rodeo or the Pines. I hate seeing all of the empty buildings on 231.

I'm glad you saw this thread, Jones. You're the first person that's been able to offer some insight on what might be coming to that location. Thanks!

goe1975
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm glad you saw this thread, Jones. You're the first person that's been able to offer some insight on what might be coming to that location. Thanks!

Trojanchad stated in the very first response that it was gonna be a cell phone store.

trojanchad
02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Trojanchad stated in the very first response that it was gonna be a cell phone store.

:thumb:

TroyDrum89
02-14-2012, 03:02 PM

My bad. I have a terrible habit of not looking at posts before mine. Credit where credit is due, trojanchad!

Possum
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
I would like to see a Flying Saucer Bar in Troy, it has over 250 different beers on Tap and over a hundred different beers in the bottle. Its fair priced with weekly specials and every night of the week has a different activity such as trivia, karaoke, etc. The food is excellent and fairly priced as well... They also have walk in Cigar rooms, with selections of cigars up to the ceiling and smoking lounges, where you can enjoy a nice smoke,an ice cold beer while watching sports... I'm a proud member of the Saucer club, when I drink 200 different beers over a course of time, I'll get my name on the wall...

But, alas there is no chance that TROY will ever legalize Draft beer. :signs019:

trojanchad
02-14-2012, 03:42 PM
My bad. I have a terrible habit of not looking at posts before mine. Credit where credit is due, trojanchad!

Not a problem at all.

It also looks like Club Sun is coming in where Blimpie used to be. Not a restaurant, but a new business in the high rent district.

goe1975
02-14-2012, 03:57 PM
I would like to see a Flying Saucer Bar in Troy, it has over 250 different beers on Tap and over a hundred different beers in the bottle. Its fair priced with weekly specials and every night of the week has a different activity such as trivia, karaoke, etc. The food is excellent and fairly priced as well... They also have walk in Cigar rooms, with selections of cigars up to the ceiling and smoking lounges, where you can enjoy a nice smoke,an ice cold beer while watching sports... I'm a proud member of the Saucer club, when I drink 200 different beers over a course of time, I'll get my name on the wall...

But, alas there is no chance that TROY will ever legalize Draft beer. :signs019:

Hey we can dream. I would think Mellow Mushroom woud do very well in Troy.

Possum
02-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Speaking of the Saucer... I think the Mrs. and I might visit one tonight... :)

troy4ever21
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey we can dream. I would think Mellow Mushroom woud do very well in Troy.

I agree a Mellow Mushroom would be great in Troy. They have pretty good food and the one in Columbus, GA has a great atmosphere, as do all of them I assume. The one in Columbus has bingo every Wednesday and a lot of Columbus State students come in for that. I've been several times with my CSU friends.

Not a problem at all.

It also looks like Club Sun is coming in where Blimpie used to be. Not a restaurant, but a new business in the high rent district.

What's Club Sun? A tanning place?

goe1975
02-14-2012, 08:29 PM
I agree a Mellow Mushroom would be great in Troy. They have pretty good food and the one in Columbus, GA has a great atmosphere, as do all of them I assume. The one in Columbus has bingo every Wednesday and a lot of Columbus State students come in for that. I've been several times with my CSU friends.

And even though some (Enterprise) don't have beer on tap, they have a LOT of different beer choices and they have TV's at the bar with all the games playing.

trojanchad
02-14-2012, 08:50 PM
What's Club Sun? A tanning place?

Yep. They're a somewhat local company (AL and FL panhandle). I think they're going for a more upscale market and they do spray tans at some locations.

trojanchad
02-14-2012, 08:52 PM
a LOT of different beer choices

I could get on board with this. Even though draft may not make it here, something beyond the Bud and Miller selections would be nice.