PDA

View Full Version : Will Troy ever be a true "college town?"

Mighty Trojan Sword
02-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Good afternoon, and Happy Super Bowl Sunday. Go Giants! :bounce012:

I've often heard that a true college town is defined by answering this question: "If the college/university were removed, could the town still exist?" Suffice it to say, that without Troy University, Troy would just be a red light and a few gas stations out on 231. It's not enough just to be a town that has a college; it's about how well the town embraces said college and centers its culture around it. The city of Troy has a lot of work to do where this is concerned.

Student athletes are still students, and they look for the same amenities that any other college student would want. Simply put, they want stuff to do during their spare time, during the four years they have here. As one poster once aptly put it, they want "something to do besides eating at a chicken place and going to Walmart." I can't blame them. I was in college once, too.

Say what you want about Tuscaloosa or Auburn, but the fact remains that these cities are successful because they have EMBRACED the college culture and ADAPTED their cities to meet the needs of the college demographic. They have worked to bring businesses to town that are attractive to the student population.

I'm bothered that Troy doesn't have a real "iconic" sports bar or hangout place that it is uniquely known for. For example, Tuscaloosa has Dreamland BBQ and the Houndstooth Pub, Georgia Tech has The Varsity, etc. The closest thing to an iconic eatery that we have, I would say, is Crowe's Chicken - and it's tiny and not exactly a "sports" kind of place.

Would legalization of draft beer help attract more attractive restaurant chains? I would love to see us get a Buffalo Wild Wings, or a Longhorn (to give Santa Fe some competition), or an Olive Garden (the Italian/Greek market is wide open here), or a Red Lobster.

So we're in the middle of nowhere. Or are we? I think we would do well to look to Oxford, MS, as a model. Oxford, home to Ole Miss, has a population of 14,147 - even smaller than Troy. Like Troy, it is located well away from large cities and the interstate system. Yet they have a vibrant college scene, and from all accounts, plenty of stuff to do. It is particularly known for its thriving music scene and some of the South's best tailgating at "The Grove." Oxford is a great example of a tiny town that refused to be limited by that, so it embraced its university and was determined to beat the odds. And it's not the only one. Athens, GA is not directly located on an interstate. State College, PA is located on I-99, but it's nonetheless many miles away from the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia metropolises. We can't help our geographic location, but we can resolve to make the best of it. We can do it, if we stop making excuses.

I have a feeling that our recruiting issues have at least something to do with athletes looking for a town with more of a "college vibe" and stuff to do. I would love for Troy to move beyond its "suitcase college" reputation and start working aggressively to build a city that embraces this University. Perhaps that when we offer the student body plenty of reasons to hang around on the weekends instead of heading home, the attendance at weekend sporting events would improve.

Thoughts??

WeSuck.com
02-05-2012, 05:16 PM
The town started going downhill when they tore Wilson's Barbeque down to build an Auto Parts store.

goe1975
02-05-2012, 05:53 PM
They had a sports bar, "The Locker Room", but it failed. You want to know the problem? 95% of the town is either an Alabama or Auburn fan. Most of the citizens like Troy football, but they consider it bush league. Sorry, but that's the truth.

trojanchad
02-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't see any big chain - or long lasting - sports bars coming in without draft beer and the ability to sell alcohol on Sundays.

I think an outlet mall destination would be a good addition also. Something like the factory stores in Destin or Foley, even if on a smaller scale. It would provide retail jobs, draw shoppers from south Alabama, Montgomery area and beyond. The local government would have to allow something like that though and I don't see a lot of progressive forward thinking coming from there.

WeSuck.com
02-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Add about 5 more traffic lights on 231 if you want people to stop. Otherwise, without Wilson's there is not a reason to stop. Crowe's rocks, but you can only take so much extra sauce.

I never knew what the hang-up with draft beer is - it's BEER.

trojanchad
02-05-2012, 06:26 PM
It's just beer but if you were in the business of running a bar would you want to only be open 6 days in Troy or have more freedom to operate somewhere else?

Editing to clarify I think the bigger issue is Sunday sales instead of draft itself.

WeSuck.com
02-05-2012, 06:29 PM
It's just beer but if you were in the business of running a bar would you want to only be open 6 days in Troy or have more freedom to operate somewhere else?

They should allow beer to sold on Sunday's on the 231 Corridoor. It's not like people are getting tanked at 9AM too.

TrojanFanatic
02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
There's lots of places that make it great in Alabama without beer on Sundays, that's not a big thing, in my opinion. I think the biggest thing is that we need somewhere to go to watch sports. Beef-O'Brady's or something would work, just a place for people of all ages to get good food, good sports, and alcohol if they so choose. I agree that our town hurts recruiting and sports attendance, BUT we also need to advertise the events better. Football is one thing, but getting emails everyday about the games gets annoying, especially when us students have 3-5 emails from Troy University everyday. I don't pay attention to them really, and that's just me being honest.

goe1975
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM

Editing to clarify I think the bigger issue is Sunday sales instead of draft itself.

I have heard the problem with draft beer is the local distributor. They don't want draft beer because it would cut back on their sales of bottled/canned beer.

TrojanFanatic
02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
I have heard the problem with draft beer is the local distributor. They don't want draft beer because it would cut back on their sales of bottled/canned beer.

Let them take the University view on it, PASS ON THE COST! Have the distributor tax it, and then let them pass it on to the customers, we've proved, as students, that we will pay the money, and I'm fairly sure that other people will too. Just my 2 cents

FoulPolePhenom
02-05-2012, 10:26 PM

According to the mayor, it's because until recently it was never brought to the city council.

http://www.troymessenger.com/2011/10/25/city-council-approves-industrial-land-swap/

Check last bullet of this article

goe1975
02-05-2012, 10:29 PM
According to the mayor, it's because until recently it was never brought to the city council.

http://www.troymessenger.com/2011/10/25/city-council-approves-industrial-land-swap/

Check last bullet of this article

And that was four months ago yet nothing has happened since. I am going by what the people at a local package store told me who deal directly with the local distributor.

jagd1305
02-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Draft beer issues? Take it to the beer distributers here and in Montgomery. There are enough students here to support a local business to send a message. However, businesses on 231 fail often so franchises are hesitant to come here. Blame it on Crowe (who owns alot of the commercial lots) or blame it on the students. The source of the problem rests in the mirror. If the students really want change, they could start showing up at council meetings en masse and press the point. Until then, this is just the same old same old. I still lay flowers of mourning at the site of Wilson's. It was praised by the likes of Lewis Grizzard and considered one of the best in the South.

goe1975
02-05-2012, 10:33 PM
And for the record, I would LOVE to have draft beer in Troy! Hell they have it in Newton now so why not here?!! I would say its just a matter of time before it happens here.

TrojanFanatic
02-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Draft beer issues? Take it to the beer distributers here and in Montgomery. There are enough students here to support a local business to send a message. However, businesses on 231 fail often so franchises are hesitant to come here. Blame it on Crowe (who owns alot of the commercial lots) or blame it on the students. The source of the problem rests in the mirror. If the students really want change, they could start showing up at council meetings en masse and press the point. Until then, this is just the same old same old. I still lay flowers of mourning at the site of Wilson's. It was praised by the likes of Lewis Grizzard and considered one of the best in the South.

Not to start an argument, but when most students, myself included, don't know when our own elected SGA meets, nor do they care, what makes you think that they'll go to a city council meeting? Most students are here for three-six years, that's it. They'll come visit for events of course, but honestly, if you don't live in the town, what do you care if they sell/have anything or not? In my opinion, this should be a collaborative effort, but the majority of it falls on the citizens of Troy, not the students of Troy University

JCTroy75
02-05-2012, 11:12 PM
at how silly and petty some of the post on this board can be. How do you define a "college town"? Obviously the lithmus test is whether draft beer is sold or not. What makes you think that the town doesn't embrace the university? Heck, the town actually started the school.

Troy was once the central hub for a large agricultral base. Now it is like many similar towns with a very small business base but is greatly enhanced by a growing university. The city is supportive. The majority of the town's debt burden is paying off bonds used to help TROY with the renovation of the cracker box and the stadium.

Many of the people in the town do support TROY football but also pull for other schools. Of my best friends in high school, I was the only one that went to TROY. The others went to AU, UA, and elsewhere. They go to TROY games but also follow their college also.

Does TROY need more and diffent types of establishments? Of course. Would the city welcome them with open arms? Of course. Even with the university added, it is a small town. I live in a town with 4 times the population of TROY and we don't have as much. You can, however, get a draft beer so I must live in a "college town".

Troy87
02-06-2012, 07:21 AM
at how silly and petty some of the post on this board can be. How do you define a "college town"? Obviously the lithmus test is whether draft beer is sold or not. What makes you think that the town doesn't embrace the university? Heck, the town actually started the school.

Troy was once the central hub for a large agricultral base. Now it is like many similar towns with a very small business base but is greatly enhanced by a growing university. The city is supportive. The majority of the town's debt burden is paying off bonds used to help TROY with the renovation of the cracker box and the stadium.

Many of the people in the town do support TROY football but also pull for other schools. Of my best friends in high school, I was the only one that went to TROY. The others went to AU, UA, and elsewhere. They go to TROY games but also follow their college also.

Does TROY need more and diffent types of establishments? Of course. Would the city welcome them with open arms? Of course. Even with the university added, it is a small town. I live in a town with 4 times the population of TROY and we don't have as much. You can, however, get a draft beer so I must live in a "college town".

:rollinglaugh:

Of course you live in a "college town". Why there's even two universities with a presence in Crestview....FAMU and Troy, so that certainly qualifies as a college town, I think.

Note my sarcasm is not directed to you, but instead, the silliness of the where the discussion has gone.

Not to mention that I am now moving this thread to Everything Else, as it doesn't really belong in Football.

Cane gone Trojan
02-06-2012, 02:19 PM
In gulf Shores they have a place called the Hang Out. there is food there is entertainment there are small places to shop( like sunglasses booth, T-shirt booth,etc)There is something for everybody of all ages. Maybe something along those lines that would mainly appeal to college students would help with providing the students something to do in their spare time and in particular on weekends.

Spiritual_Trojan
02-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Have any of you heard either directly or through the rumor mill that alcohol no draft beer and no sales on Sundays has kept restaurants out of Troy?

Cane gone Trojan
02-06-2012, 02:46 PM
In gulf Shores they have a place called the Hang Out. there is food there is entertainment there are small places to shop( like sunglasses booth, T-shirt booth,etc)There is something for everybody of all ages. Maybe something along those lines that would mainly appeal to college students would help with providing the students something to do in their spare time and in particular on weekends.

OR if Troy could have a mirror image or their own version of Club La Villa. Now that would keep the students on campus during the weekends and might even bring in a few 4 and 5 star recruits along the way.lol

redwaver
02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Amen on the Wilson's thing. Ate a thousand Bar-B-Q's there in my day. It was always a gotta go to spot for returns to Troy after graduation. I always thought it was a shame they tore it down. Country Bar-B-Q is good but it bugs me that on game day servers are wearing Auburn and Alabama stuff. Owner should require Troy shirts on game days or find another place to work. JMHO!

Lego
02-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Will Troy ever be a true "college Town" ?

Thoughts??

My experience is no. The "Local" Troy establishment does like that Troy is in the town, but they will not fully embrace being a college town because they do not like the notion of what that entails.

Troy87
02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
My experience is no. The "Local" Troy establishment does like that Troy is in the town, but they will not fully embrace being a college town because they do not like the notion of what that entails.

Which is......?

Lego
02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Which is......?

An excellent example of what the City of Troy could be become (if it leadership had vision and the will power to do it) is Clemson, SC.

The City of Clemson Vision Statement -
The City of Clemson is a university town that provides a strong sense of community and a high quality of life for its residents. University students add to its diversity and vitality. The City is dedicated to providing a quality living environment for all its residents by ensuring a balanced, compatible, and healthy mix of residential and commercial development, while preserving and improving its natural resources, and promotes its image as a desirable, visually attractive, safe, and economically stable residential community. The City actively seeks cooperation with its neighbors to ensure the fulfillment of its vision.

Notice something right off the bat ? This is small but represents the attitude. Clemson did have a small manufacturing base (as does Troy) but has since (a while ago) wrapped it's entire being as a community around the University. If the University said "Jump !", the town said "How high ?"

The local Troy "leadership"/power base does not fully embrace the University and it's student base. Yes, the 6 to 7K student base brings with it drawbacks that sometimes counteract with small town country living. And a University sometimes brings attention to the town and the local population that some with that local population would like to keep everything as quiet as possible. Hence, resistance (sometimes subtle).

To be a college town, you have to sacrifice alot of that "country" (sometimes backward) mentality to become what you are. I hangout for 5,000 18 -22 year olds.

Troy is so under-marketed and under-capitalized as pro-business/forward thinking it is funny. You have to become progressive, think outside the box as a town. You know you are going to have a consistent 5,000 people money spenders.

- The students in Troy are in a 2012 mindset, the City of Troy and its population is in a 1960's to 1980's mindset.

Understand that everything is not 100% one to one in this comparsion but is close enough for this exercise.

Just my two cents.

Troy87
02-07-2012, 02:02 PM
An excellent example of what the City of Troy could be become (if it leadership had vision and the will power to do it) is Clemson, SC.

The City of Clemson is a university town that provides a strong sense of community and a high quality of life for its residents. University students add to its diversity and vitality. The City is dedicated to providing a quality living environment for all its residents by ensuring a balanced, compatible, and healthy mix of residential and commercial development, while preserving and improving its natural resources, and promotes its image as a desirable, visually attractive, safe, and economically stable residential community. The City actively seeks cooperation with its neighbors to ensure the fulfillment of its vision.

Notice something right off the bat ? This is small but represents the attitude. Clemson did have a small manufacturing base (as does Troy) but has since (a while ago) wrapped it's entire being as a community around the University. If the University said "Jump !", the town said "How high ?"

The local Troy "leadership"/power base does not fully embrace the University and it's student base. Yes, the 6 to 7K student base brings with it drawbacks that sometimes counteract with small town country living. And a University sometimes brings attention to the town and the local population that some with that local population would like to keep everything as quiet as possible. Hence, resistance (sometimes subtle).

To be a college town, you have to sacrifice alot of that "country" (sometimes backward) mentality to become what you are. I hangout for 5,000 18 -22 year olds.

Troy is so under-marketed and under-capitalized as pro-business/forward thinking it is funny. You have to become progressive, think outside the box as a town. You know you are going to have a consistent 5,000 people money spenders.

- The students in Troy are in a 2012 mindset, the City of Troy and its population is in a 1960's to 1980's mindset.

Understand that everything is not 100% one to one in this comparsion but is close enough for this exercise.

Just my two cents.

Good post! :thumb:

CrimsonTrojan
03-09-2012, 06:09 AM

Just my two cents.

This