PDA

View Full Version : New dorm complex!!

troy4ever21
02-05-2012, 04:40 PM
The Chancellor said back during band camp last semester that the new complex will be affiliated with the christian church in some way. I guess that's why there is a chapel type building in the center of the complex.
Renderings for a new dorm complex:
http://www.sslarchitecture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Perspective-3-940x392.jpg
http://www.sslarchitecture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Perspective-1-940x374.jpg
http://www.sslarchitecture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Perspective-5-940x436.jpg
http://www.sslarchitecture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/site-940x1264.jpg

troy4ever21
02-05-2012, 04:48 PM
http://www.sslarchitecture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Perspective-4-940x611.jpg
http://www.sslarchitecture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Perspective-2-940x543.jpg

tenaciousT
02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Where is this supposed to be located? And what kind of time frame?

I haven't heard anything about this new complex. It looks nice.

Lego
02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
The Chancellor said back during band camp last semester

"One time in band camp...."

Classic line.

Does look nice.

Spiritual_Trojan
02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
From the looks of the lay out it will be to the south of Crosby Theater in between the band/intramural fields and the BCM/frat houses

troy4ever21
02-07-2012, 12:51 AM
It'll be next to the BCM/Frat row behind Claudia Crosby. I'm not sure. I just remember the Chancellor telling us about it last semester and I saw these renderings on SS&L's website.

JPSousa1898
02-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I hope and pray this doesn't mean they are considering tearing down Sorrell Chapel! That is one of the nicest, most peaceful parts of the campus and it has great acoustics to boot. I'm not sure how I feel about a dorm complex being connected to a church. Is there any more information on this?

Spiritual_Trojan
02-08-2012, 09:34 AM
I hope and pray this doesn't mean they are considering tearing down Sorrell Chapel! That is one of the nicest, most peaceful parts of the campus and it has great acoustics to boot. I'm not sure how I feel about a dorm complex being connected to a church. Is there any more information on this?

I seriously doubt they would demo Sorrell esp considering there is a cemetery of some importance attached to it.

Just out of curiosity what would be your issue with the dorm complex being associated with a church?

tenaciousT
02-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I seriously doubt they would demo Sorrell esp considering there is a cemetery of some importance attached to it.

Just out of curiosity what would be your issue with the dorm complex being associated with a church?

It is a state campus. If the church is paying for it without a dime of help from the state or school, then that is fine (i would guess). I assume that means that the church would invite people to live in it as well, which would free up space in other dorms...

Now if there is just a chapel located on the complex campus then that is a different story, but if the dorms are "connected to the christian church" then the state (school) has no place in funding it.

TroyDrum89
02-08-2012, 02:10 PM
This is all supposed to be a part of the Newman Center, which is "connected to" the Catholic Church. As far as I know, being Catholic will have little or nothing to do with living in this new facility. There will be a building that the Newman Center can use for events and a Chapel.

JPSousa1898
02-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I know all too well about the significance of the Adams' graves being at Sorrell Chapel, but the university has had a history of irreverence towards its past at times and I was slightly concerned that someone might use that as an excuse to demolish that great piece of Trojan lore (Although, I would like to see a real chapel organ and baby grand placed in there.) I think preserving Sorrell Chapel and even renovating and upgrading it in the future are very appropriate and complimentary to the university.

I have no problem with Catholics or the Newman Center, what I was worried about was the separation of church and state issues that could arise from this. However, if the Newman Center is supplying these dorms without stipulation other than another chapel be included, then I am all for it. I just don't want to see the university's name and reputation dragged through the mud over some grey areas of the law.

dgoebel
02-08-2012, 04:20 PM
This is all supposed to be a part of the Newman Center, which is "connected to" the Catholic Church. As far as I know, being Catholic will have little or nothing to do with living in this new facility. There will be a building that the Newman Center can use for events and a Chapel.

Talking with a university official the Catholic Church has done this at several campuses. My understanding is the church fronts the money and the university manages it. I don't know if part of the money from room goes back to the church, but he did say that in exchange for the dorms the church gets to put a chappel and student center with the dorms. I have no problem with it and Troy needs more housing for sure.

TroyDrum89
02-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I have no problem with it and Troy needs more housing for sure.

Same here. The need for housing on campus has been apparent for a long time now. Even when the new Trojan Village complex went up, it was hardly enough to handle the massive influx of freshmen each year.

troy4ever21
02-09-2012, 12:24 PM
I completely agree. I'm glad the university is finally starting to build more dorms. The housing lottery is getting pretty bad... Incoming freshmen have priority over people who have been there for years. Which is understandable considering TROY's rule is you must live on campus your first year, unless you have some excuse not to do so. However, that shouldn't deny a sophomore, junior, or senior housing. Every student that wishes to live on campus should be able to. Uncle Jack and all the executives want TROY to be this big time university (I do as well), but there's no room for students. Even the city of Troy is running out of room for off-campus students. Since the opening of The Grove back in 2008 there hasn't been any new construction. There is one off campus complex going up on Elm Street. From what the sign says construction is supposed to start this semester.

JPSousa1898
02-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Talking with a university official the Catholic Church has done this at several campuses. My understanding is the church fronts the money and the university manages it. I don't know if part of the money from room goes back to the church, but he did say that in exchange for the dorms the church gets to put a chappel and student center with the dorms. I have no problem with it and Troy needs more housing for sure.

As long as there's not a kickback to the church that could create the church-state legal conflict, I'm even more for it. Perhaps it could double as a desperately needed recital hall. :thumb:

TrojanWarrior418
02-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Great news to hear! I've said if we want the univeristy to grow then we need more classes for them to take and more beds for them to sleep in. Also appears the campus will be expanding southward and fill in the gap between Smith Hall and fraternity row.

dgoebel
02-13-2012, 10:16 AM
I also heard Slumni gets renovated in 2013??? Has any one heard on this?

SFMTrojan
02-16-2012, 01:39 AM
I wondering why they are connecting a church to the dorms? The new Christian student center just went up and there are a lot of churches around town. We also have a lot of international students who may come from many different beliefs who don't have access to places of their liking. Seems unnecessary to me....just my 2 cents though.

Spiritual_Trojan
02-24-2012, 09:08 AM
I wondering why they are connecting a church to the dorms? The new Christian student center just went up and there are a lot of churches around town. We also have a lot of international students who may come from many different beliefs who don't have access to places of their liking. Seems unnecessary to me....just my 2 cents though.

From what other people have been saying it's a chapel not a church. Also from what other people have been saying a church or denomination is donating most or all the money for it. If the second part is true, the reason it's there is the school See's the benefit of new houses with minimal cost to the school. I'm sure if a Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, etc. organization wanted to donate money for a place to be built the school would allow it to go up.

CrimsonTrojan
03-09-2012, 05:50 AM
So when is this supposed to be built?

Also to the person about Alumni being renovated, if they renovate it instead of tearing that eyesore down they are stupid. That place is an eyesore and no amount of renovation can compensate for 1960s 1970s utilitarian style architecture.

Spiritual_Trojan
03-09-2012, 11:27 AM
So when is this supposed to be built?

Also to the person about Alumni being renovated, if they renovate it instead of tearing that eyesore down they are stupid. That place is an eyesore and no amount of renovation can compensate for 1960s 1970s utilitarian style architecture.

If they do a face lift and add some stuff on the exterior the street side could look good.

troy4ever21
03-09-2012, 11:56 AM
I read that they'll be remodeling Alumni Hall to be a complex similar to Trojan Village and Clements Hall. During the remodel they're going to build an addition in the Alumni Hall parking lot behind the building.

Several years from now they're going to build another Trojan Village type complex down on the band field. The band field will move down to the current intramural field and the intramural field will move to the golf course.

CrimsonTrojan
03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
If they do a face lift and add some stuff on the exterior the street side could look good.

I think it's a waste. It would take a lot to make it look nearly as good as the newer dorms..a lot. Plus it's already old and even with renovations probably only has about a decade or so before it would need new renovations. Just tear it down and start over in my opinion.