PDA

View Full Version : Another recruiting weekend for the Trojans--1/19/2012

trojanbrutha
01-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Another recruiting weekend for the Trojans (http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2012/01/another-recruiting-weekend-for-trojans.html?spref=tw)

Troy is hosting another weekend of official visitors. Most are not committed to Troy.

This is an unofficial list gathered and could change at any time.

**Brandon Burks, RB, Daleville - committed to Troy

**Damion Love, OL, Millbrook, Ala. - Stanhope Elmore
Looks like Troy's stacking up on some D-Linemen in this recruiting group. If they can land some more big tackles, they could stay in the 4-3. I'd be a little surprised if Humes makes the trip since he just committed to Arkansas, but we'll see.

trojanbrutha
01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Sunday recruiting update (http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2012/01/sunday-recruiting-update.html)

Been a slow day trying to get some recruiting information. Troy hosted several prospects this weekend. If I get a recruit to tell me he's committed, I'll write on it, OR if I see on a prospect's social media that he's committed to Troy, then I'll mention it, with the hope of getting more from the prospect later.

So, with that being said, Montres Kitchens committed to Troy and confirmed it on a post on teammate Davante Lambert (who also visited Troy)'s wall.

redwaver
01-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Sunday recruiting update (http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2012/01/sunday-recruiting-update.html)

Been a slow day trying to get some recruiting information. Troy hosted several prospects this weekend. If I get a recruit to tell me he's committed, I'll write on it, OR if I see on a prospect's social media that he's committed to Troy, then I'll mention it, with the hope of getting more from the prospect later.

So, with that being said, Montres Kitchens committed to Troy and confirmed it on a post on teammate Davante Lambert (who also visited Troy)'s wall.
Thanks TB, you do a fantastiuc job keeping us informed and it is greatly appreciated my friend!

trojanbrutha
01-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks TB, you do a fantastiuc job keeping us informed and it is greatly appreciated my friend!

Not a problem...but, I can't take much credit because I'm just re-posting real journalists' work! :laughing021:

redwaver
01-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Not a problem...but, I can't take much credit because I'm just re-posting real journalists' work! :laughing021:
Doesnt matter, you have the access and interest and I for one REALLY appreciate getting it.

trojanbrutha
01-22-2012, 05:01 PM
3:45 p.m. update - Looks like Marquez Pride, the defensive end from Madison, is going to WKU after a weekend visit. Will take him off the commitment list.

trojanbrutha
01-22-2012, 05:30 PM
All-Region 3-AAA Football Teams (http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/high-school/2011-12-17/all-region-3-aaa-football-teams)

Saturday, Dec. 17, 2011

Player of the Year–Montres Kitchens, Burke County

trojanbrutha
01-22-2012, 10:47 PM
dothaneagletroy Drew Champlin
Kilgore, TX JC defensive end Braylon Williams confirmed via text that he committed to Troy. Williams is 6-6, 230

tenaciousT
01-22-2012, 10:59 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/football/recruiting/player-Braylon-Williams-82112

Braylon Williams rivlas profile coming out of HS.

trojanbrutha
01-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Braylon Williams commits to Troy (http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2012/01/braylon-williams-commits-to-troy.html)

Braylon Williams, a 6-foot-6, 230-pound defensive end from Kilgore (Texas) Junior College, committed to Troy this weekend after his official visit.

Williams confirmed it through a text ("I did" is what he said). Once I can get him on the phone and update with quotes, I'll add them, but easier said than done at the moment.

Williams had 45 tackles, 8 for loss, four sacks, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

dgoebel
01-23-2012, 09:39 AM
12 JUCO signees?? I have never heard of this many signees.

tenaciousT
01-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Welcome to TROY!

Everybody was calling for an immediate change, and getting this many JUCO kids in, you should see an immediate change.

The coaches (and many on this board) obviously thought our talent was not up to par this past year and it looks like the thinking was to go out and get some guys that can immediately come in and play and immediately upgrade our defense.

Hopefully it works out for the sake of the staff and for the sake of this board!

GO TROJANS!

Hemi Man
01-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Buckle up because that may not be all of them.

Lego
01-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Yep. Can you say desperation. If it does work out, you could see dramatic results, but if they do not mesh well together as a team, with coaches and the the existing players things could implode.

Ron Prince tried it several years backs at Kansas State, brought in a large group of JUCO's ( a dream team of ready to go players, he called it ) and it caved in on the team bad. He got fired.

trojanbrutha
01-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Yep. Can you say desperation. If it does work out, you could see dramatic results, but if they do not mesh well together as a team, with coaches and the the existing players things could implode.

Ron Prince tried it several years backs at Kansas State, brought in a large group of JUCO's ( a dream team of ready to go players, he called it ) and it caved in on the team bad. He got fired.

You have to be the most negative person on this board...bet you're glad for bama though, huh?

Lego
01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
You have to be the most negative person on this board...bet you're glad for bama though, huh?

Where do you come for ?

Where are you coming from about the bama stuff ? When have a ever said anything about bama ?

Are you one of those people that come on boards and tell other supporters that you can only agree with the current coaching staff, the players can do no wrong, and do not say anything negative or you will be labeled a traitor ? what do they call those people ?

Maybe the Admins should post something like: "Only post here on GTT if you agree with trojanbrutha or Hemi" :rollinglaugh:

Lighten up Francis (tbro).

Pcbtrojan
01-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Kansas State year in and out has a high number of Juco players on their roster for a BCS school. It started with Prince's former and replacement Coach Snyder. He seems to be one of the few coaches that call deal with it.

trojanbrutha
01-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Where do you come for ?

Where are you coming from about the bama stuff ? When have a ever said anything about bama ?

Are you one of those people that come on boards and tell other supporters that you can only agree with the current coaching staff, the players can do no wrong, and do not say anything negative or you will be labeled a traitor ? what do they call those people ?

Maybe the Admins should post something like: "Only post here on GTT if you agree with trojanbrutha or Hemi" :rollinglaugh:

Lighten up Francis (tbro).

I remember a time when you would get a little "reprimand" for dissin' the coaches...In your case, it wouldn't hurt my feelings :laughing021: Truthfully, I'd have banned you a while ago, but, alas, I don't have the power...so, I'm not as autonomous as many think...dogmatic, yes...autonomous, no :thumb:

Navarre Trojan
01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Kansas State year in and out has a high number of Juco players on their roster for a BCS school. It started with Prince's former and replacement Coach Snyder. He seems to be one of the few coaches that call deal with it.

You ever been to the "Little Apple"?

It works there the same as Troy (and others for the same reason), Snyder gets talented kids that have played JC football at and extremely high level (Kansas JC, along with Miss JC, are considered some of the best in the country) and want to play right away, in D-1, in the best conference they can. Schools like KSU (Troy) want to compete right away. KSU happens to be in one of the best conferences in the country, so they get great JC talent. Price's problem was that he wasnt a very good head coach.

mbolin9
01-24-2012, 12:14 AM
You ever been to the "Little Apple"?

It works there the same as Troy (and others for the same reason), Snyder gets talented kids that have played JC football at and extremely high level (Kansas JC, along with Miss JC, are considered some of the best in the country) and want to play right away, in D-1, in the best conference they can. Schools like KSU (Troy) want to compete right away. KSU happens to be in one of the best conferences in the country, so they get great JC talent. Price's problem was that he wasnt a very good head coach.

Thank you for clearing that up for everyone. One question though. Why would it matter, team chemistry wise, whether the kid is coming from high school or JUCO? They are mainly strangers anyhow and all have one common goal and that is to play football at the highest level they can. I do not see a difference in the team chemistry whether there are no JUCO players and all high school player and vice versa. Everyone needs to chill and trust the coaching staff. We had one bad year, we will bounce back.

Buzz Lightyear
01-24-2012, 08:12 AM

This is a great question. I grew up about 90 miles from K-State and they stunk when I played Juco ball in Kansas........then time passed and Snyder showed up.......what he has and we have at present is a head coach who is not leaving. A talent to get them bought into a program........going into K-State success led them to buy in and led Snyder to pick the guys that would fit......There are plenty of good Juco guys and since they are in Kansas and the Jayhawk conference is pretty dang good with Butler County etc.....a little easier to see and have good connections.......they know they can play.

The down side is that it takes guys a while to incorporate if you are just using a few and the guys who have been there 2 years think that I have waited my turn and there is a tad of jealousy.........However with K-State it is the norm and there is no "I have been here longer mentallity." Prince tried some of the same and tried to get High Schoolers but Kansas State is not the top of the heap and Kansas does not produce that many great prospects. Look at how Snyder moves kids to different positions too....the man has a sense about him that few have......you have to give it to him.....before his first retirement he had a couple of years down and there was a lot of pressure about his JUCO kids etc........sounds a little familiar...but just like K-State it is something not everyone is doing and LB has done pretty well at it given we have been D-1 now for about 10 years.....As long as he is at the helm the continuity is there to have this strategy.........When he leaves and we have the up and comings here for a year or two or three then leave it would be almost impossible to have this high rate Juco strategy work.........Till then and depending who then comes in as the head coach........
Troy is Troy and the star ratings are not going to mean a great deal.....We had a terrible year and our D is going to change.......offense needs to be better and we will be better......JUCO guys want to play and want to win.....I was that way and they are still the same....the second year is usually better for them since they know the guys and usually accept the new JUCO help pretty well since they were that way the year before.

By the way the "little apple" on the edge of the flint hills is a pretty nice little college town. It is not a big place but the winters can be rough. Troy and K-State share something right now..........Faith in an established coach and the JUCO strategy......This last year did not work well but I have had a great time the last few years and I don't think we are headed to scrap heap just yet.

trojanbrutha
01-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Great post, buzz...

Lego
01-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Truthfully, I'd have banned you a while ago, but, alas, I don't have the power

A message board would not be very entertaining if everyone shared the same opinion. Nor very democratic or American.

...so, I'm not as autonomous as many think...dogmatic, yes...autonomous, no :thumb:

Hmmm, this is interesting, I did see you as independent and not as dogmatic (or narrow/inflexible) as you claim. I wonder what roadblock/position is in the way ?

I respect you trojanbrutha, you have Trojan Spirit. I will try to be more positive & supportive. (but when I see a problem I call it out and demand results, just how I am built)

This is a meassge board, so have fun. (not everyone will agree)

Lego
01-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Good thoughts. Interesting. Thanks

trojanbrutha
01-24-2012, 11:44 AM
A message board would not be very entertaining if everyone shared the same opinion. Nor very democratic or American.

Hmmm, this is interesting, I did see you as independent and not as dogmatic (or narrow/inflexible) as you claim. I wonder what roadblock/position is in the way ?

I respect you trojanbrutha, you have Trojan Spirit. I will try to be more positive & supportive. (but when I see a problem I call it out and demand results, just how I am built)

This is a meassge board, so have fun. (not everyone will agree)

I say those things because 1) I have been accused of being dogmatic and 2) we are all governed by the rules of the board, owners, and the admin/moderators. There is no autonomy from my side of the fence. If you really get down to the nitty-gritty of it, there are many others, like yourself, that may be more dogmatic than someone like, say, me. I can see that there needs to be some changes made on the defensive side of the ball...but I also recognize that there is a need to fix several other things with the team. Do I think by firing Rowell it's going to fix that? Nope, not in the least, but others here have and inflexible stance on it...now, who's dogmatic, really?

We are a band of brothers and some sisters on this board with an immense desire for TROY Athletics and the university, as a whole. to be successful. That doesn't hinge on Hemi's cousin, or uncle, JR...let's stop making him the scapegoat. The 2012 season will be here before we know it. Let's see if we can all cheer the team on...that should, at the very least, be some common ground. :thumb:

Lego
01-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I say those things because 1) I have been accused of being dogmatic and 2) we are all governed by the rules of the board, owners, and the admin/moderators. There is no autonomy from my side of the fence. If you really get down to the nitty-gritty of it, there are many others, like yourself, that may be more dogmatic than someone like, say, me. I can see that there needs to be some changes made on the defensive side of the ball...but I also recognize that there is a need to fix several other things with the team. Do I think by firing Rowell it's going to fix that? Nope, not in the least, but others here have and inflexible stance on it...now, who's dogmatic, really?

We are a band of brothers and some sisters on this board with an immense desire for TROY Athletics and the university, as a whole. to be successful. That doesn't hinge on Hemi's cousin, or uncle, JR...let's stop making him the scapegoat. The 2012 season will be here before we know it. Let's see if we can all cheer the team on...that should, at the very least, be some common ground. :thumb:

- Agree, we are Trojans, wanting success for all thing Troy !
- We disagree with some of the parts and pieces that make up the thing we call Trojan football. I'm cool with that. Makes it real.
- As our Hemi says, take nothing personal.
- We will roll with it and have some fun.
- Later.

Troy87
01-24-2012, 11:57 AM
This is a great question. I grew up about 90 miles from K-State and they stunk when I played Juco ball in Kansas........then time passed and Snyder showed up.......what he has and we have at present is a head coach who is not leaving. A talent to get them bought into a program........going into K-State success led them to buy in and led Snyder to pick the guys that would fit......There are plenty of good Juco guys and since they are in Kansas and the Jayhawk conference is pretty dang good with Butler County etc.....a little easier to see and have good connections.......they know they can play.

The down side is that it takes guys a while to incorporate if you are just using a few and the guys who have been there 2 years think that I have waited my turn and there is a tad of jealousy.........However with K-State it is the norm and there is no "I have been here longer mentallity." Prince tried some of the same and tried to get High Schoolers but Kansas State is not the top of the heap and Kansas does not produce that many great prospects. Look at how Snyder moves kids to different positions too....the man has a sense about him that few have......you have to give it to him.....before his first retirement he had a couple of years down and there was a lot of pressure about his JUCO kids etc........sounds a little familiar...but just like K-State it is something not everyone is doing and LB has done pretty well at it given we have been D-1 now for about 10 years.....As long as he is at the helm the continuity is there to have this strategy.........When he leaves and we have the up and comings here for a year or two or three then leave it would be almost impossible to have this high rate Juco strategy work.........Till then and depending who then comes in as the head coach........
Troy is Troy and the star ratings are not going to mean a great deal.....We had a terrible year and our D is going to change.......offense needs to be better and we will be better......JUCO guys want to play and want to win.....I was that way and they are still the same....the second year is usually better for them since they know the guys and usually accept the new JUCO help pretty well since they were that way the year before.

By the way the "little apple" on the edge of the flint hills is a pretty nice little college town. It is not a big place but the winters can be rough. Troy and K-State share something right now..........Faith in an established coach and the JUCO strategy......This last year did not work well but I have had a great time the last few years and I don't think we are headed to scrap heap just yet.

This is an outstanding explanation of what JUCOs can mean to a program that has continuity in the staff. It would be fair to say that if we had a revolving door at the HC level, a JUCO strategy would not work, but because of the continuity and longevity of HCLB at Troy, this approach works for Troy.

I also agree that the difference in a HS-dominated team versus a team that has a good load of JUCOs to augment the shortcomings is very little. It used to be that a scholarship offer was a 4-year ride, but that is no more. Every year, a student-athlete has to perform to get a renewal of his/her scholarship. That being the case, competitiveness for playing time often takes precedent over chemistry and seniority. This is where the coaching staff has to walk a fine line of creating team chemistry, while at the same time, get the best skilled players in the positions to have the best chance of winning.

This spring, I would look for every position on the team to be up for grabs, and some fierce competition at several key positions. That being said, I think the 2012 football season is going to be what we were expecting it to be a couple years ago, when we were looking into the crystal ball and forecasting. I think it will be a very good season.

trojanbrutha
01-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Tyler Lassiter commits to Troy (http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2012/01/tyler-lassiter-commits-to-troy.html)

Troy picked up a big offensive line commitment when Hazel Green lineman Tyler Lassiter pledged to sign with the Trojans next week.

In fact, Lassiter had a well-kept secret about his recruitment for a day before making his commitment to Troy.

"It was a roller coaster ride," Lassiter said. "But I committed to Troy today. I had committed to UAB yesterday, but I decommitted. My heart was telling me Troy."

Lassiter had Troy in his final three of UAB and Marshall. Western Kentucky also offered.

dgoebel
01-26-2012, 08:09 AM
This is an outstanding explanation of what JUCOs can mean to a program that has continuity in the staff. It would be fair to say that if we had a revolving door at the HC level, a JUCO strategy would not work, but because of the continuity and longevity of HCLB at Troy, this approach works for Troy.

I also agree that the difference in a HS-dominated team versus a team that has a good load of JUCOs to augment the shortcomings is very little. It used to be that a scholarship offer was a 4-year ride, but that is no more. Every year, a student-athlete has to perform to get a renewal of his/her scholarship. That being the case, competitiveness for playing time often takes precedent over chemistry and seniority. This is where the coaching staff has to walk a fine line of creating team chemistry, while at the same time, get the best skilled players in the positions to have the best chance of winning.

This spring, I would look for every position on the team to be up for grabs, and some fierce competition at several key positions. That being said, I think the 2012 football season is going to be what we were expecting it to be a couple years ago, when we were looking into the crystal ball and forecasting. I think it will be a very good season.

I am curious to your comment on scholaships used to be 4 year deals? I came to Troy in 1986 and your scholarship was 1 year renewable. Evey spring you met with the coaches and they either kept your scholarship, cut it back or released you. I don't know what it was before then, but Troy won two National Championships with 1 year renewables.

Buzz Lightyear
01-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I am curious to your comment on scholaships used to be 4 year deals? I came to Troy in 1986 and your scholarship was 1 year renewable. Evey spring you met with the coaches and they either kept your scholarship, cut it back or released you. I don't know what it was before then, but Troy won two National Championships with 1 year renewables.

I played 10 years prior to you and while almost everyone who was on did not get booted off and scholarships were a bit like "who Knew how many you could have" but a couple of guys were cut from scholarship even then. So I think as time has gone by the rules have been a bit more stringent since in the old days before me the Alabamas and Nebraskas etc had 120 "scholarship guys on the team?

Troy87
01-26-2012, 10:26 AM

You're right, they have been 1-yr renewables, but going back to the 70s and, even into the 80s I think, it was generally accepted that a scholarship offer was pretty much a "4-year ride", and really the only way you could lose it was to flunk out, or get arrested or some other completely over-the-top offense to the school and team. Of course, this was when there were either no scholarship limitations or had gone to 120. With the limitation of 85 these days, it's a different environment.

Today, and not really in Troy's case, it's a little more like performance-based wages. We've seen kids whose scholarships weren't renewed ostensibly because of breaking unspecified team rules, but in reality it was probably because a kid coming in was a better player, and there weren't enough scholarships available. I would say this happens more at the AQ schools than at the mid-majors and lower levels of FCS and D-II.

dgoebel
01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
You're right, they have been 1-yr renewables, but going back to the 70s and, even into the 80s I think, it was generally accepted that a scholarship offer was pretty much a "4-year ride", and really the only way you could lose it was to flunk out, or get arrested or some other completely over-the-top offense to the school and team. Of course, this was when there were either no scholarship limitations or had gone to 120. With the limitation of 85 these days, it's a different environment.

Today, and not really in Troy's case, it's a little more like performance-based wages. We've seen kids whose scholarships weren't renewed ostensibly because of breaking unspecified team rules, but in reality it was probably because a kid coming in was a better player, and there weren't enough scholarships available. I would say this happens more at the AQ schools than at the mid-majors and lower levels of FCS and D-II.

The scholarship limits were brought about from the 1973-74 recruiting class of Johnny Majors at Pitt. He signed 105 high school players one year and then they won the 1976 Nat. Championship. The scholarships are a bigger deal to me at the DII level. With 35 total alloted it makes every scholarship decision more critical. Granted most are on a 1/2 scholarship, but it is still critical. I don't think an academic or athletic scholarship is any different, it should be performance based. Our son starts Troy next fall on the Chancellors Scholarship. He had to score a 27 ACT and have a 3.5 GPA to earn it. Once at Troy he has to maintain a 3.0 to keep it. Same with a athlete. You earn the scholarship based on your field performance. As with a student who does not perform, if that athlete does not perform, they should lose the scholarship.

dgoebel
01-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Tyler Lassiter commits to Troy (http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2012/01/tyler-lassiter-commits-to-troy.html)

Troy picked up a big offensive line commitment when Hazel Green lineman Tyler Lassiter pledged to sign with the Trojans next week.

In fact, Lassiter had a well-kept secret about his recruitment for a day before making his commitment to Troy.

"It was a roller coaster ride," Lassiter said. "But I committed to Troy today. I had committed to UAB yesterday, but I decommitted. My heart was telling me Troy."

Lassiter had Troy in his final three of UAB and Marshall. Western Kentucky also offered.

Watched the highlights on this kid and I am impressed. I think this is a huge pick up for us. I like how he finishes off blocks and goes to the whistle. No laziness in this kid...GREAT PICK UP and I think he can play right away.

Rette
01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Watched the highlights on this kid and I am impressed. I think this is a huge pick up for us. I like how he finishes off blocks and goes to the whistle. No laziness in this kid...GREAT PICK UP and I think he can play right away.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/r/dc/dc9c47773a8c2d5e14e4cde93bada8d9/248300.gif
Tyler Lassiter (http://rivals.yahoo.com/marshall/football/recruiting/player-Tyler-Lassiter-128592):bounce012:
6'7" 295 lbs
Hazel Green HS
Toney, Al.