PDA

View Full Version : Our Basketball program is sad

CHughes1102
01-14-2012, 10:48 PM
If we win anything it's against teams who are just having bad years. We lose everything else....every year. But I guess we can blame the arena like always.

Oh and our Women's team? Words can't describe that disaster of a program.

Da Scout
01-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Coaching ????

CHughes1102
01-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Coaching ????

Yep.

Da Scout
01-14-2012, 11:06 PM
It's very hard to watch troy do the same thing everyone. No adjustments, opposing player has a career night from three, shoot over 30 threes a game, same old zone, press at the end of game, when team plays zone just stand around and shoot threes. I have never said it before but its time for a change. It's not the players fault, they play as hard as they can. Troy only wins if the opposing team has its worst shooting night.

CHughes1102
01-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Per Drew on Twitter: The coaches bolted after the game cause they were so pissed and Maestri says they will work harder in practice tomorrow than they ever have before.

jagd1305
01-15-2012, 09:20 AM
I think we're going to see alot more of coach's bolting after a game...again and again. Coach M continues to put this same act of the floor year after year. If it doesn't come together after recruiting time this year with signs of a turn around by next year, this program needs to be overhauled.

dgoebel
01-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Hopefully the new arena helps. The mens team with the new arena needs to get more high school recruits and the women's team needs everything, they are just plain awful.

TrojanWarrior418
01-16-2012, 08:29 AM
How many more times are we going to give Maestri "just one more year"?

dgoebel
01-16-2012, 09:11 AM
How many more times are we going to give Maestri "just one more year"?

Till he retires. I can never, ever remember a coach being fired at Troy.

Lego
01-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Oh and our Women's team? Words can't describe that disaster of a program.

Trainwreck at 75mph with 100 cars of deadly chemicals happening in the middle of a large city.

Guardian
01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
They need to fire him. The program is abysmal and needs a change. It's sad.

TrojanWarrior418
01-20-2012, 08:30 AM
I have an idea: let the Troy Men's team play the Troy Women's team. At that point someone would HAVE to win.

Guardian
01-20-2012, 05:20 PM
That's just terrible...

Terribly true...

dgoebel
01-20-2012, 05:40 PM
I have an idea: let the Troy Men's team play the Troy Women's team. At that point someone would HAVE to win.

With the way our basketball program is...after 10 OT's the score would still be tied :sad010:

Mighty Trojan Sword
01-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Agreed. I mean, no one is expecting us to be Kansas, Kentucky, or UNC - basketball just isn't king in these parts - but come on, we could at least be competitive in our conference each season and have a chance to go to the tournament in March. I'm tired of settling for mediocrity (or even sloppy play) and the same old excuses by the coaching staff.

This program needs an infusion of new life, and soon. I really hope that our new arena provides such a spark. Though, I do question how we will ever even come close to filling it up. During college, the biggest basketball game I can remember was Middle Tennessee one Thursday night, and we still had quite a few seats open even then. Most of the games I have attended, I would say the attendance was in the 300-500 range, if that. Maybe the administration's gamble will pay off, the new arena will be a great recruiting tool, and it will translate into better teams on the hardwood each year. I sure hope so.

TrojanWarrior418
01-21-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm tired of settling for mediocrity (or even sloppy play) and the same old excuses by the coaching staff.

At this point I WISH we were just mediocre. Yes I understand (like you do) basketball isn't as popular here as it is in New England and the Midwest but come on. To call our basketball programs a joke would be an understatement. But in all honesty I don't expect anything to change because its the same song and dance every year.

In fact let me spoil the rest of this decade for you with Trojan Basketball. We will go into the new arena, attendance will remain stagnant and we'll finish near the bottom of the Sun Belt. People will call for coaches to be fired. People will rush to their defense citing we can't attract new (and better) players in only one year of having the new arena. We'll give the coaches another year. The next year attendance will be stagnant, we'll finish near the bottom of Sun Belt and people will call for coaches to be fired. People will rush to their defense and say it takes time to build a program and we'll be able to do it with the new arena so the coaches get another year. The next year attendance will be stagnant and we'll finish near the bottom of the Sun Belt. People will call for coaches to get fired. People will rush to their defense saying the program is on the right track with the new arena and besides the coaches have been at Troy for 30+ years and we just have to trust them and not fire such loyal Trojan Coaches. So We'll give them one more year...etc...

Then by 2052...Attendance will be stagnant and we'll finish near the bottom of the Sun Belt. People will call for coaches to be fired. But People will rush to their defense saying although the arena is starting to crumble and is in need of renovation our program is about to turn the corner and we should give the coaches another year. Then the next year.....

Trojans1andAll
01-21-2012, 08:31 PM
At this point I WISH we were just mediocre. Yes I understand (like you do) basketball isn't as popular here as it is in New England and the Midwest but come on. To call our basketball programs a joke would be an understatement. But in all honesty I don't expect anything to change because its the same song and dance every year.

In fact let me spoil the rest of this decade for you with Trojan Basketball. We will go into the new arena, attendance will remain stagnant and we'll finish near the bottom of the Sun Belt. People will call for coaches to be fired. People will rush to their defense citing we can't attract new (and better) players in only one year of having the new arena. We'll give the coaches another year. The next year attendance will be stagnant, we'll finish near the bottom of Sun Belt and people will call for coaches to be fired. People will rush to their defense and say it takes time to build a program and we'll be able to do it with the new arena so the coaches get another year. The next year attendance will be stagnant and we'll finish near the bottom of the Sun Belt. People will call for coaches to get fired. People will rush to their defense saying the program is on the right track with the new arena and besides the coaches have been at Troy for 30+ years and we just have to trust them and not fire such loyal Trojan Coaches. So We'll give them one more year...etc...

Then by 2052...Attendance will be stagnant and we'll finish near the bottom of the Sun Belt. People will call for coaches to be fired. But People will rush to their defense saying although the arena is starting to crumble and is in need of renovation our program is about to turn the corner and we should give the coaches another year. Then the next year.....

Are you Nostradamus?

+1 btw

Mighty Trojan Sword
01-21-2012, 11:15 PM
"Then by 2052...Attendance will be stagnant and we'll finish near the bottom of the Sun Belt. People will call for coaches to be fired. But People will rush to their defense saying although the arena is starting to crumble and is in need of renovation our program is about to turn the corner and we should give the coaches another year. Then the next year....."

Haha, well that may be a bit over exaggerated - but I get the drift. Face it. Football is king, baseball is somewhat popular, basketball is an "oh by the way" sport here. I don't ever see it catching on in Alabama like it has in Kentucky, North Carolina, or even Tennessee. Therefore, most of the athletic department's precious few dollars will go toward football.

Lego
01-21-2012, 11:24 PM

Classic post
+ 1

dgoebel
01-29-2012, 04:10 PM
You get out of a program the effort you put into it. When you put no effort into recruiting, then you get no results. All our basketball program does is scour juco's for players or get lucky with a transfer or two. It seems they are allergic to high school recruiting. I will take my hat off to Coach Davis in softball. She goes out and finds the talent with very little juco players. She has found players locally, in the NE, the far west, Canada and Australia. That is aggresive recruiting and our softball program is only going to get better and better. And remember that ULL is a national powerhouse and in our conference. If basketball doesn't recruit better, coach better, and the administration be willing to make changes, then we as Troy fans will have to settle for bottom of the conference basketball.

CHughes1102
01-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Women's team is losing 32-9 at Half against USA.

EDIT: Women's team loses 63-26

bft
01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Lady Trojans Troy 26
Jaguars South Alabama 63
We will never fire a Coach if we don't get Mike Murphy! You are kidding 26 points, same state, same conference! I am about to pull up So. Ala roster I want to see where they get their players???