PDA

View Full Version : Next Home (FIU) Game On Thursday?

BMarkey
09-26-2005, 02:47 AM
I was just looking ahead at the schedule to confirm my travel plans for the next home game and I noticed that FIU is coming to Troy on a Thursday night. Please tell me that's a misprint!

How could I have missed that?

Troy is blowing another Saturday gameday experience for a Thursday night game against what is probably the worst team in the SunBelt on a network (ESPNU) almost no one sees?

I don't think I want to blow two or three work days to attend a Thursday night game that will likely include a half-full stadium and embarrassing look on TV. (I hope I'm wrong about attendance.)

What is the point of moving a game and inconveniencing fans and killing weekend business for merchants when so, so few people will be able to see it? Why blow one of five weekends and essentially tell anyone outside of a two-hour drive that they are not welcome. I, maybe, could understand this if the game were to be on ESPN or II, but for this network with such low ratings and amateurish announcers? I have seen ESPNU games on Saturday featuring I-AA and D-II teams. Why force Troy to pull show a bonehead scheduling move?

Please, please tell me this game is really going to be on Oct. 22 and not on Oct. 20.

tntrojan
09-26-2005, 06:33 AM
Sorry, BMarkey, but it is on Thursday.
Agree that it makes it tough for us out-of-towners to make it.
I wish it weren't true either, but I'll try to enjoy the game on the tube.
Attendance guess? Lucky if we have 10,000 live bodies there.

BMarkey
09-26-2005, 01:18 PM
The Troy planners are just killing us. TV for the sake of TV is just nuts.

Move the game back!

TU/JSU Fan
09-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Now Troy is to good to be on TV? Troy should only play on ESPN or ESPN II ? One win on Major TV and now we should be like Miami and ND (on tv each week that we play?) Come on guys.. It was one win (Missouri was ranked, but sucked last year) and now we act like we are to good for everything. Gracious guys. Troy should be glad to be on any form of TV. I for one am glad that we are on NBC in Montgomery most weeks.

BMarkey
09-27-2005, 04:23 AM
You are missing my point. Would it be worth Troy's move of a game to Thursday to get the gane on a few local TV stations in Alabama? Probably not.

Yet, at best, only a couple of hundred thousand people will see Troy-FIU on ESPNU, perhaps a lot less thsn that.

That network is a top tier (in cost only) channel seen by very few of America's cable/satellite TV subscribers. It is new and little known to all but hardcore college football watchers.

Troy will lose fans who cannot dedicate a couple of work days to the game and who have family responsibilities. That lets us most of not all Florida and Georgia fans, not to mention those who live further away. Even many fans from Birmingham and the like will find the drive too far and too expensive for a one night event.

Businesses will lose out on a planned weekend of hotel stays, restaurants will lose meal and drink sales, stores will sell less Troy merchandise and there will be other losses. The college gameday atmosphere will suffer greatly. Much of the crowd will arrive late because the game will start before many people can get out of work and drive to the stadium.

All to get some face time on a fledgling pay-extra channel with little to no viewership.

And Troy is not on "NBC in Montgomery" every week. It is on a loal affiliate. NBC has nothing to do with Troy's games on that channel, just as "ESPN Plus" has nothing to do with Troy's game on local channels but not any of the ESPN networks.

TU/JSU Fan
09-27-2005, 07:51 PM
I understand your point about merchants and stuff suffering... What the heck are you talking about the NBC stuff.. Troy is on that specific channel. They have been on that same channel the last few weeks. I don't care who is in charge of it, but the fact remains that they are on there 3 of the 4 weeks we have played.

JSU_Alum
09-27-2005, 08:52 PM
But yet, BMarkey, you remarked in one of our other threads that you're on TV all the time because you're "I-A".

You can't have it both ways. You should just be happy that somebody wants to televise the game.

pkf4troy
09-27-2005, 09:15 PM
What the heck are you talking about the NBC stuff.. Troy is on that specific channel. They have been on that same channel the last few weeks. I don't care who is in charge of it, but the fact remains that they are on there 3 of the 4 weeks we have played.

Dude! Its CBS in Montgomery...... :roll: We have never been on NBC in this area.

BMarkey
09-27-2005, 09:24 PM
NBC or CBS, it's still a local channel that happens to have an affiliation with that network. The game has nothing to do with that network.

I'm not going to respond to that other jackass any longer. I suggest the rest of you do the same.

TU/JSU Fan
09-28-2005, 07:10 PM
My bad... CBS NBC ABC FOX .. I had no idea.. I just guessed because I thought that 8 on my cable was NBC. I am still fairly new here and I forget the cable channels every once and a while!

It is still TV... I knew it had nothing to do with being national, but I still dig the fact that we locals can at least see them play on the road

Michael