PDA

View Full Version : Up tempo offenses affecting defensive coordinators

trojanbrutha
01-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Up tempo offenses affecting defensive coordinators (http://www.coachingsearch.com/home/196-up-tempo-offenses-affecting-defensive-coordinators.html)

Posted by: Pete Roussel on December 22, 2011

What gives us the best chance to win a championship?

Before delving into the subject, let me start by saying that winning is what matters, period. Like many, I enjoy looking at statistics, but few things frustrate me more that an offensive coordinator that acts in disbelief of Saturday's loss. Yes, I hear you, coach. 34 points, 439 total yards, 86 snaps, 7 of 13 third-down conversions, etc.

Just stop.

Tell me about the 3 turnovers, 7 offensive penalties, and 4 times your offense went 3 & out in less than 47 seconds that put your defense in a real difficult situation.

In recent years, it seems as though total offense, offensive snaps, and changing tempos have become more important to many coaches. Coaches such as Chip Kelly, Todd Graham, Mike Gundy, Gene Chizik, Dana Holgorsen, and Dabo Swinney have jumped wholeheartedly into the up tempo style of offense.

These coaches have felt the up tempo philosophy gives their program the best chance to win a championship despite creating problems for your own defense. Coaches such as Nick Saban, Bret Bielema, Les Miles, and Frank Beamer would disagree and have favored more of a pro-style offense combined with a great defense.

One thing is clear. The up tempo offensive philosophy is impacting the defensive production within these programs.