PDA

View Full Version : NFL Fans

Doug4Troy
01-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I have never followed the NFL too closely, and I do not have a favorite team.

Just curious, would those of you that are NFL fans respond with your team and maybe why you root for them. I certainly identify more with southern teams, but I just can't seem to jump on board with the falcons, maybe the saints or titans.

Thanks in advance.

trojanbrutha
01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
I have never followed the NFL too closely, and I do not have a favorite team.

Just curious, would those of you that are NFL fans respond with your team and maybe why you root for them. I certainly identify more with southern teams, but I just can't seem to jump on board with the falcons, maybe the saints or titans.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a Steelers fan and I've been one since...the late '70s. I liked Jack Lambert Mean Joe Greene, and Jack Ham...Guys like Mel Blount and Lynn Swan, Franco carried themselves like champions. And a good ol' country boy named Terry made those big city folk right proud!

Doug4Troy
01-02-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm a Steelers fan and I've been one since...the late '70s. I liked Jack Lambert Mean Joe Greene, and Jack Ham...Guys like Mel Blount and Lynn Swan, Franco carried themselves like champions. And a good ol' country boy named Terry made those big city folk right proud!

Thanks for the response. I was a bit of a Steelers fan back in the mid to late 70's to. I was in elementary school and had a Steelers book bag at one time. So I do remember the "Steel Curtain" days.

Hemi Man
01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Like TB I became a Steelers fan in the late 70's when I was young. I have been a big fan ever since then. Through the Bubby Brister, Mike Tomczak, and Tommy Maddox years. I've been to several games. I was at Roethlisbergers's first start in a hurricane at Miami. I was at the Steelers home game in 07, against the Bears, that started the run to the Super Bowl. Anyone that says NFL fans don't know how to tailgate is missing it. 31 degrees, windy, snowing with tortilla soup and jello shots is awesome. I own lots of Steelers memorabilia from the Iron City Beer can commerating the Super Bowl teams of the 70's to actual Newspapers from Pittsburgh the day after the Super Bowl victories. Even the ones from the 70's.

Troy87
01-03-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm not a fan of any pro sports, but in NFL, if there's anyone I'm for, it's the Dolphins. We were living in Ft. Lauderdale when the Dolphins had their great years (70-72). I can still name most of the starters for the dolphins from that time; players like Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, Mercury Morris, Bob Greise, Nick Buonoconti, D ick Anderson, Paul Warfield, Larry Little, and on and on.

I also favored the Oakland Raiders from that time frame, but not after Al Davis packed them up and moved them to LA for a while. But they had some great players back in the early 70s too; Kenny Stabler, Billy Casper, Fred Blitnekoff, Phil Vilipiano, Otis Sistrunk, Jim Otto, and one of my absolute favorites, George Blanda.

Burn the Horse
01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Titans all the way. They are regional, to me best represent the South, and normally have a very exciting run game.

I first decided to follow the NFL their first season, so since we were both "new" and they were close I chose them. It's been an emotional rollercoaster ever since.

CHughes1102
01-03-2012, 03:31 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/al7n6awi/Detroit%20Lions/DetroitLionsprimarylogoinusesince2009.gif

Reason? My dad grew up near Detroit before moving down here during High School. Also my grandparents on my mothers side were born near Detroit as well. So because of that I absolutely love em!!

Real reason? Cause they are BADASS :thumb:

tenaciousT
01-03-2012, 04:17 PM
WHO DAT!

I am a huge SAINTS fan. I live in the Mobile area so I have always cheered for them, but the last 10 or so years I have been a HUGE NFL/Saints fan.

Greatest moments:
#1A Tracey Porters pick six in Super Bowl XLIV to seal the victory over the heavily favored Fighting Mannings.
#1B Super Dome homecoming after Katrina hit and Steve Gleason blocking the Falcons punt on their opening drive and the Saints falling on it for the first home TD after Katrina. I still get chills!

dgoebel
01-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Right there with you. Jack Lambert and Mike Webster were two of my favorite players growing up because I played some center and MLB in middle school before settling on line play in HS and College. I loved those 70's Steelers and still follow Big Ben and the boys today. I have a Terrible Towell for the games also :thumb: The first SB with Big Ben we had a big party and had Rothelsburgers with Heinz Ward Ketchup and Big Bens BBQ Sauce and Bus Beans.

Doug4Troy
01-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! I guess am looking for a team to follow and was looking for a more regional franchise so that games would be more "doable."

Still undecided, but thanks again for all the responses.

Hemi Man
01-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! I guess am looking for a team to follow and was looking for a more regional franchise so that games would be more "doable."

I know one of the Atlanta Falcon cheerleaders. Does that help?

tenaciousT
01-03-2012, 07:49 PM

If you are looking for a regional team, then the Falcons (obviously). The Dirty Birds have a good history, they lost to the Broncos in Super Bowl XXXIII (1999). They have all the talent in the world, just can't seem to get it all in place at the right time. With Roddey White/Julio Jones/Tony Gonzales as recievers with a great run game...they should be putting up plenty of ppg.

Doug4Troy
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I know one of the Atlanta Falcon cheerleaders. Does that help?

If we can keep my wife from finding out then... GO FALCONS!!!

Burn the Horse
01-03-2012, 09:41 PM

well based on your criteria; Titans, Saints, Falcons...those are the three to choose from. Nashville is a very fun city to attend a game in. We usually hit up the stadium then head to 2nd Avenue, it's like the country music version of Bourbon Street...minus the puke and beggers.

Not to mention, Two-tone Blue looks good on everyone. :thumb:
http://www.footballbabble.com/images/titans-cheerleader.jpg

BDM88
01-03-2012, 11:28 PM
OK I have been out of town. But I am a Bears fan have been for a Very Long Time. But I have more than one team I root for. Bears come first, Then the Dolphins I grew up in West Palm Beach and sat in the Orange Bowl and Joe Robbie Stadium (Now Sun Life Stadium) many many times as a Kid. Watched Bob Baumhower(Sp?) place High school football he went to my high School long before i did. And I support the titans because I live in the same state. But Will always be a Bears fan first. Walter Payton will always be my favorite Bear!

CHughes1102
01-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Not to mention, Two-tone Blue looks good on everyone. :thumb:
http://www.footballbabble.com/images/titans-cheerleader.jpg

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/dat%20ass/grand/65405555-dat-ass-.gif

Nice Trojan
01-04-2012, 03:12 PM
I have been a Jets fan my entire life. I grew up with 8 brothers, so I guess I just had to pick the team that was left.

I started following them around the early 1980ish when I was old enough to know what football was. And have suffered with them every year, 4-5 championship games, but no super bowls since '69.

Possum
01-04-2012, 04:12 PM
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/ivansfunk/SAINTS.jpg

Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!

Been a Saints fan for about 10 years now, been to several games, team functions, etc over the years. My grandfather even bought me Stock in them for a High School graduation present. Love the City, the culture and MY New Orleans Saints!

For the love of all that is good and Holy don't become a Dirty Birdy Fan... :sick016:

Possum
01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
My feelings for the Dirty Birdys...

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/rocky36082/FleurDeLisStabsFalcon.jpg

Doug4Troy
01-04-2012, 10:13 PM
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/ivansfunk/SAINTS.jpg

Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!

Been a Saints fan for about 10 years now, been to several games, team functions, etc over the years. My grandfather even bought me Stock in them for a High School graduation present. Love the City, the culture and MY New Orleans Saints!

For the love of all that is good and Holy don't become a Dirty Birdy Fan... :sick016:

Don's worry, not much of a chance of that happening. I have never been able to get on board with any Atlanta teams like the Braves or Dirty Birds. The only thing I like about the Atlanta area is six flags.

I have been thinking quite a bit about the NFL all year, I have also been talking to my wife, and I think you might like the team we are leaning towards. Looks like it's not a bad time to jump on the bandwagon.

Doug4Troy
01-06-2012, 10:39 PM
It's official... GO TROJANS and GO SAINTS!!!

tenaciousT
01-06-2012, 10:50 PM
It's official... GO TROJANS and GO SAINTS!!!

First round of the playoffs saturday night against the Lions at 7.

WHO DAT!

Doug4Troy
01-06-2012, 10:54 PM
First round of the playoffs saturday night against the Lions at 7.

WHO DAT!

Oh yea! Geaux Saints!!!

TrojanEmpire
01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Bears and Cowboys for me

Possum
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the WHO DAT NATION!

Doug4Troy
01-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the WHO DAT NATION!

Thanks! Do I have to submit an application, or be interviewed, or appear before a board or something like that to make it official? Is there a mandatory waiting period?

Burn the Horse
01-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks! Do I have to submit an application, or be interviewed, or appear before a board or something like that to make it official? Is there a mandatory waiting period?

naw, ya just gotta knock out a couple of teeth and spend the rest of your life half drunk and all dumb. :thumb:

Possum
01-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Hey BTH,

SCOREBOARD

Saints 22

Titans 17

Doug4Troy
01-07-2012, 10:52 PM
naw, ya just gotta knock out a couple of teeth and spend the rest of your life half drunk and all dumb. :thumb:

Cool, 3 out of 3, no way they turn me away then. LOL

Possum
01-07-2012, 11:30 PM
CAN I GET A.......

WHO DAT?!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x310/Justin5745/Breesus.jpg

BREESUS SAVES and the GOOD Guys win again in the Big Easy!

Doug4Troy
01-07-2012, 11:42 PM
can i get a.......

who dat?!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x310/justin5745/breesus.jpg

breesus saves and the good guys win again in the big easy!

who dat!

Burn the Horse
01-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Hey BTH,

SCOREBOARD

Saints 22

Titans 17

we'll see how things pan out with Jake Locker getting the start.

Congrats on a great 2011, but the future belongs to the Blue. :thumb:

troyaluminmichigan
01-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Life long Falcons fan, followed by Ravens and Dolphins.......

Old Steve Bartkowski, William Andrewsn Alfred Jackon, Alfred Jenkins, Lynn Cain fan of the 78-82 seasons.

Miami may have been my first team, as my mother was from Miami, and I remember getting #12 Bob Griese jersey as a kid to wear around.

I lived in Baltimore when the Browns moved to Baltimore, and it was easy to get caught up in the new love, especially with the Superbowl year.

As a Falcons from from the late 70s to now, I can say it was fun living in Biloxi, MS and going to Falcons/Saints game. Great atmosphere, especially in the early 90s when both would make the playoffs and play each other.

When you live in a city, its hard not to pull for the local teams some. I've lived in DC, Baltimore, Indy, and now near Detroit. It fun for those lifelong fans to get the excitement, but I find that I always go back to my roots......

and while I forever love Jerrel, Osi, and Lawrence..........

Go Falcons!!!!!

Doug4Troy
01-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the responses! Cool to see how many of you are NFL fans as well. As I said, I have never been a big pro football guy, but always had a few teams I liked.

Saints number 1 for me (I know, a good time to jump on board), Steelers are my AFC team and a close #2.

RDA Trojan
01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Oakland Raiders. They're my main team. I'm also a "fan" of any team a Trojan plays for.

The reason I'm a Raiders fan is that my Dad is a fan. I think it started back in the 60s with Stabler going to play for them. Dad was a teenager then, and the whole family was Alabama fans. When Stabler went out there, he followed them. And it led to that being his team. If Dad had been born a few years earlier, he'd probably be a big Namath/Jets guy. My aunt is a few years older than my Dad, and she's a big Namath fan.

Pcbtrojan
01-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Saints fan since I was a kid (troubled childhood).

Doug4Troy
01-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Saints out of it... still love dem saints though. Just like I still love dem Trojans!!!

BDM88
01-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I love how Eli, JJ, OSi, and Tynes Discount Double Checked Aaron Rodgers and The PACK!

tenaciousT
01-15-2012, 09:54 PM
I love how Eli, JJ, OSi, and Tynes Discount Double Checked Aaron Rodgers and The PACK!

Yeah, that was/is awesome.

I could see this coming several weeks ago.

The Giants are on a roll just like the Packers were last year getting into the playoffs w/ the 6th (last) seed.

I hate Eli but man, he is impressive in the pocket.

I will be cheering for the GMen/TroyMen the rest of the way! That would be awesome for JJ to get a ring the first year in the league!

Who Dat! and Go Giants (???)! any body know what the Giants cheer is?

Doug4Troy
01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Not sure who I am pulling for, but WHO DAT?!?!? Can't wait til next year for Troy and the Saints!

goe1975
01-17-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/dat%20ass/grand/65405555-dat-ass-.gif

That is the funniest post I have ever seen on GTT. Genius Hughes at his best. :rollinglaugh: