PDA

View Full Version : Okie St...

trojanbrutha
01-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Defense is rated 106th in the nation...my, how football has changed...

Troy87
01-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Well they obviously need to fire their DC.

smh

trojanbrutha
01-02-2012, 07:23 PM

smh

:laughing021:

Hemi Man
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM

smh

They were 88th in 2010. One spot ahead of Troy. I bet they have earrings, dreads, and tattoos also.

Dothan_Trojan97
01-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Watching them tonite. OSU's defense is terrible. And yes, despite their recent success, they should fire their DC.

Hemi Man
01-03-2012, 07:12 AM
I found what the defensive coordinator for OSU had to say to be interesting. He said of course we would like for the numbers to be better, but when you have a quick strike offense it is going to effect the defense. I believe he said OSU had faced 332 more plays than Alabama. That's on average a little over 4 extra games worth of plays.

NWFLTrojan
01-03-2012, 07:54 AM
I also remember the South Carolina coach talking about the spread last year leading up to our game and he said that the spread was causing a decline in defense fundamentals. What I got from his interview was that by practicing against the hurry up pass oriented spread you don't get to work on the physical fundamentals, ie. downhill smash mouth defense. I posted a link to the interview on gtt but I can't find it now.

I don't have the time, nor do I know which teams run the spread, but I would like to chart the best spread offenses in the country in relation to their defenses. For instance, Baylor is second overall in total offense and 116 in total defense, Texas Tech is 13th in offense and 114 in defense. My quick look of the top 13 offenses is that only Boise and Stanford are in the top 50 in total defense.

Just food for thought.

NWFLTrojan
01-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Further food for thought.....

Arkansas State ranked 20th in total defense, ULM 21st in total defense and FIU is 30th in total defense. So it can be done better than we have been doing it.

Dothan_Trojan97
01-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Further food for thought.....

Arkansas State ranked 20th in total defense, ULM 21st in total defense and FIU is 30th in total defense. So it can be done better than we have been doing it.

Amen to that.

I think there is certainly validity to the fact that running a spread offense puts more pressure on your own defense because of decreased time of possession, actual decreased time to rest between defensive series (if your own offense scores quickly or goes three and out), and having to face more plays and thereby increasing the opportunity for errors.

However, that doesn't eliminate fundamentals such as tackling (arm tackling, trying to make a big hit without wrapping up, poor pursuit angles, etc), filling the right gap (lack of discipline), not letting WRs run free in the secondary (a safety should never let someone run past him), playing 10-15 yards of a receiver when it is 3rd down and 4 yards to go for a 1st down (allowing a short hitch route for an easy completion and first down), personal fouls (again, lack of discipline and self-control), not keeping backside containment on misdirection or when the play initially flows away from you, etc, etc, etc.