PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Ever Thought?

BDM88
09-25-2005, 09:41 AM
I know I'm Going to get flamed for this But I think we have been spoiled. I remember when I was at TSU(Now Troy U) at the Div II level things were bad(1989) before LB. I think since we've had these great past few years it has us thinking Every year should be Great. I know That Bigger Div 1-A schools flat out beat us up. But You know We can't always think we can get a win at Schools Like USC or Mizzou. They should Beat a smaller D-1 A school. This Year Team is Young at most Positions. Before We Give up on the season let's See how we do against team more Our Size. North Texas has had the But handed to them big time this year. AT Least We have held our own. I haven't seen an actual game yet as My area doesn't show Troy unless it's A Thursday night game or CSS has it. Troy held it's own in the First half Against Mizzou and against a Spurrior lead USC Trailed by only 14 at half? Look at it this way. If We get in to the Sun Belt games and we can win at NT those loses will be an after thought. I'd be one happy camper at 8-3. But as a Troy Fan I am guilty as anyone about our games.

Steve

TrojanEmpire
09-25-2005, 09:54 AM
I know I'm Going to get flamed for this But I think we have been spoiled. I remember when I was at TSU(Now Troy U) at the Div II level things were bad(1989) before LB. I think since we've had these great past few years it has us thinking Every year should be Great. I know That Bigger Div 1-A schools flat out beat us up. But You know We can't always think we can get a win at Schools Like USC or Mizzou. They should Beat a smaller D-1 A school. This Year Team is Young at most Positions. Before We Give up on the season let's See how we do against team more Our Size. North Texas has had the But handed to them big time this year. AT Least We have held our own. I haven't seen an actual game yet as My area doesn't show Troy unless it's A Thursday night game or CSS has it. Troy held it's own in the First half Against Mizzou and against a Spurrior lead USC Trailed by only 14 at half? Look at it this way. If We get in to the Sun Belt games and we can win at NT those loses will be an after thought. I'd be one happy camper at 8-3. But as a Troy Fan I am guilty as anyone about our games.

Steve

8-3 ain't gonna happen. To many ifs, ands or buts out there to overcome.

tntrojan
09-25-2005, 10:37 AM
The great thing about ESPN Game Plan is you can watch the Trojans when you live outside of Alabama. Curious to see it was primarily sponsored by Troy-related sponsors such as Movie Gallery and the city of Troy. Anyone know how much we "pay" to have ESPN broadcast our games? Another nice thing about the plan watch other Sun Belt teams too. Arkansas State will be very tough after what I watched them do to FIU.
As to the braodcast, I don't care much for Bob Pruett. He called us Troy State more than once and even criticized (or stataed the obvious) that Meadows can't throw. Not good for an announcer who we are paying to broadcast our games.
I liked that we showed a bit of a running game. Did Whingter go over 100?
But we showed that we have NO pass defense. Other Sun Belt teams will notice that too.
We can still go bowling. We just have to run the table.
Go Troy!

Lord-Mustang
09-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Yes...Whinghter had a NET stat of 102 rushing yards last night, with an average of 7.3 yards per carry.

BMarkey
09-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Joel would have had a career game (some nice, tough runs), except for those pesky fumbles. Of course, one of them should not have happened if the refs had blown the play dead.

tsu59
09-25-2005, 04:12 PM

Steve

Wrong Steve - we were great during the Gailey - Rhodes era - may not have lasted the whole decade - but we were the best in the country in 1984 and 1987 - and for those who think Troys' player were small and slow then - the 1984 OL line was huge - Mitch Geier (sp?) played for the Tampa Bay Bucs for a while.

TrojanEmpire
09-25-2005, 04:16 PM

Steve

Wrong Steve - we were great during the Gailey - Rhodes era - may not have lasted the whole decade - but we were the best in the country in 1984 and 1987 - and for those who think Troys' player were small and slow then - the 1984 OL line was huge - Mitch Geier (sp?) played for the Tampa Bay Bucs for a while.

Those are the last Troy football national championships any of us will see in our lifetimes.

Pcbtrojan
09-25-2005, 05:38 PM
He was a 1A recruit for Florida but he had some serious issues that even Charley Pell did not want to deal with. Probably just about the toughest, meanest SOB that ever wore the cardianl & black. He would diffently start today. Wish we had some more like him.

BDM88
09-25-2005, 07:04 PM

Steve

You Missed My Point. I know we won National Championships then thats why I went to Troy. I said How Bad we were in 1989 when I was there. I think they only big win we had that year was over UCF(then Div 2 going to Div 1-AA. We Lost to Jack State, And a bunch of other games. The Trojans were on the down fall then. LB came in and turned the Program back around. MY major point was that we have become Spoiled with winning seasons. And Like Most fans when we lose we feel let down. I still feel All hope ins't lost. NT and most of the Sunbelt have been taking it on the chin with the big boys. I still think Troy can win the Sun Belt and Go Bowling.

BMarkey
09-25-2005, 08:05 PM
It is amazing that I am a Troy football fan.

I came to Troy with the thought of walking onto the team (was a pretty quick fullback and linebacker in high school for a 5-11 white boy - the black players called me "Timex" ... He takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin').

Many of the players in the late '70s and early '80s (Bradshaw era) were thugs.

He (probably wisely) kept them away from traditional university groups. When they did mix with the population (say, at the Standard Chemical Co.), fights would break out and all hell would break loose.

They got away with it all - including the time when two or three of them picked on me (a relatively innocent freshman who made the mistake of wearing his fraternity jersey to the bar). They hated Greeks.

I remembered what my father told me as three of them surrounded me, itching to see me back down. When it was clear a fight was going to happen, I got a couple of nice shots in, then had to endure what three or more of them could do to me.

No charges were filed. They got away with it.

Mingling with the players today, I believe they are much more talented, bigger and better citizens (as a whole).

TrojanWar
09-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Funny story Bob! I love telling college stories. We should all plan a chat one night and trade stories. I can assure you I have some great ones as well, but I can't even begin to tell them on a public forum! We don't have much positive football to talk about, so this might be a refreshing change!

tsu59
09-25-2005, 08:17 PM
I know some stories to tell - but some of you might not reconize the name of the places. :lol:

BMarkey
09-25-2005, 08:19 PM
I'll bet the Double Branch, Lester's Flat, whatever they called that restaurant by the lake and the Step Ahead were around. :)

tsu59
09-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Brings back some great memories - but the favorite hang out in those days was the pine lounge - burned down in 19?? :?

It was in the old hotel Troy by the RR tracks close to where city hall is now.

Pcbtrojan
09-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Nelson's by the lake. Also known as the Duck Inn.
Good hunch punch! And don't forget the kickin chicken the Red Roster on Court Square!

Troy87
09-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Before it was the Duck Inn, it was O'Reilley's, I was a DJ there for a while. Lot of fun!

tsu59
09-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Nelson's by the lake. Also known as the Duck Inn.
Good hunch punch! And don't forget the kickin chicken the Red Roster on Court Square!
Before Nelson had the Duck Inn he had the "Pan-Am service station and Grill" located where Expert Tire is now.