PDA

View Full Version : Post-Game Thoughts

faithintsu
09-25-2005, 04:30 AM
Although the game was a horrible horrible showing by Troy, I once again think we showed some good things.

We showed we can run the ball - and do it consistently. Our defense showed alittle bit of a backbone (not much but a little).

We have got to improve the basics!! Tackling & Holding on too the Football are big big things we have to improve on.

TroyPremier
09-25-2005, 09:28 AM
We can run the ball all day long, but if we fumble it inside the redzone then it means nothing. Fundamental mistakes like this are making me believe more and more that these things fall back as a coaching issue. I am starting to believe that our kids have below-par coaching. We blow it all the time with fundamental mistakes. We could have all the talent in the world, but if it isn't coached well, then you'll have a losing team.

TrojanEmpire
09-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Although the game was a horrible horrible showing by Troy, I once again think we showed some good things.

We showed we can run the ball - and do it consistently. Our defense showed alittle bit of a backbone (not much but a little).

We have got to improve the basics!! Tackling & Holding on too the Football are big big things we have to improve on.

We showed we can fumble. We can throw interceptions. We showed we have no business playing even mid-level BCS conference teams this year. When, not if, we keep turning the ball over, we will be staring at a 4-7 or 5-6 season (being optimistic).

Lord-Mustang
09-25-2005, 11:22 AM
We showed that without the turnovers, we had a REAL chance to not only compete in that game, but the outcome "Might" have been in our favor.

1. First Drive: Turn that fumble into a TD and the score then become 38 - 27 South Carolina

2. Second Drive: Spin the INT into a TD and it's now 31 - 34 Troy

3. Fourth Drive: Turn the fumble into atleast some sort of drive and a punt. Let's say SC gets a FG out of it instead of an immediate TD... Score now 34 - 34.

With just those, anybody can see how much different the game turns out. 4 fumbles and an INT just isn't going to cut it.

BMarkey
09-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Oh, we certainly have a business playing the big boys.

We we also have a responsibility to hold the ball with two hands when running up the middle and getting into a scrum; holding the ball in the hand closest that sideline when running downfield; throwing the ball somewhere near the receiver (especially on a screen pass that is wide open for a TD!), pass blocking; wrapping up when making a tackle; calling play schems that consist of run up the middle, long pass, 10-yard pass on almost every drive; running more off-tackle runs, screen passes and options; getting away from the disastrous zone pass coverage once in a while; recruiting and playing DBs that are at near near or taller than 6 feet; playing our most dangerous runner and scoring threat (McKelvin)on offense; and more.

TrojanEmpire
09-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Oh, we certainly have a business playing the big boys.

I am sure you will understand if I respectfully disagree with that statement.

TrojanEmpire
09-25-2005, 12:40 PM
We showed that without the turnovers, we had a REAL chance to not only compete in that game, but the outcome "Might" have been in our favor.

1. First Drive: Turn that fumble into a TD and the score then become 38 - 27 South Carolina

2. Second Drive: Spin the INT into a TD and it's now 31 - 34 Troy

3. Fourth Drive: Turn the fumble into atleast some sort of drive and a punt. Let's say SC gets a FG out of it instead of an immediate TD... Score now 34 - 34.

With just those, anybody can see how much different the game turns out. 4 fumbles and an INT just isn't going to cut it.

You can't really look at a game that way. If those things had happened the way we wanted them to, the teams would have responded differently and done something different. We cannot sit back and say shoulda, woulda, coulda. It is frustrating and makes us sound like Bammer fans last year. We can do better than that.

Lord-Mustang
09-25-2005, 07:19 PM
And you will understand if I disagree with you!

TrojanWar
09-25-2005, 07:42 PM
I think 95% of us disagree with Empire. None of us want to play D1AA football anymore.

I was happy with Bob Pruitt's assesment of the game. He said obviously turnovers were the big story, but the other major problem was that Meadows needs to learn how to throw a football. I couldn't believe he said it, but then I couldn't disagree either. This is a guy that knows a thing or two about great college QB's. Until we get another QB, we will have trouble winning another game. Sure the o-line is terrible in passing situations, but Meadows flunks everytime they give him time. No one will ever convince me this guy was ever a good QB or ever will be a good QB. He came from a little school dropping their football program. How good could he have ever been? Outside of that, MF called a better mix of plays. It might not have seemed like it because the players couldn't execute anything, but the gameplan was ok. It was still bad as far as D1A football is concerned, but it was better than what he has done in the first 3 games. Why didn't we try another QB in the 4th quarter? The game was out of hand at this point anyway and with Meadows playing so sorry, there was no reason not to give someone else a chance to perform against SC's second teamers. Experience is everything at this point.

Defensively, we stunk. Again, some say the defense played good. Consider the competition and then the arguement can be made for how bad they did play. This was a team that couldn't run the football on anyone...not even UCF! They ran on us and passed for over 250 yards. It's easy to pick out a few good things, but overall the defense was poor.

Now, how will we stack up against the rest of the Sun Belt? Offensively we will suck...BAD!!! Overall, we should be able to play with anyone in the conference considering everyone is playing bad with the exception of ASU (how did that happen?). FIU would lose to a lot of NAIA teams and has no business playing football at the D1A level. PERIOD!

BMarkey
09-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Please excuse any emotion here. I am almost as furious tonight as I was watching the debacle last night.

Our D-line and at time, linebackers, played all right. Our D-backfield stunk up the joint. A couple of them are too small for I-A football and to put them back there is an insult to Troy. That jump ball TD was just a slap in our face. A 5-foot-2 cornerback? Come on.

Bob Pruett might know his football.

But his voice is awful; he projects no enthusiasm or professionalism in his speech; his drawl projects an uneducated person; he certainly has a face and body for radio; he cannot remember the name of the school he is covering ("Troy State"); he (or was it that other guy?) talked about Demarkus Ware, but called him "Wade"; he cannot stop talking about the formerly great Marshall and his major players; he didn't appear or sound comfortable with the other annoucers (speaking at inappropriate times or not speaking when color commentary was needed). I could go on.

Is that the best the Troy people could get (the other two guys, including the former UF defensive coordinator, were O.K.)? Why not use one of the every day Troy announcers? They would have been better and more knowledgable.

Some questions about these telecasts:

Does Troy U. pay ESPN? Does ESPN pay Troy anything?

Does Troy provide the camera people, staff and announcers?

Are the cameras and equipment at the stadium for use, or must equipment be brought in?

Who gets the revenue from pay-per-view idiots like me who plunked down their $19.95 to $29.95 for the game? Who gets the revnue from the non-Troy people who paid for the game?

Who gets the commercial revenue?

Do the local stations in Alabama and Florida pay to air the game or does Troy buy the time and air it an an "infomercial"?

How much to the sponsorships and commercials cost (can't be much, considering the City of Troy was a sponsor and the production crew could not even manage to use a city logo, but just plain font type)?

Why were there no university commercials (at least on the PPV)?

Why (on the PPV) did we get to see a portion of some USC volleyball interview (this was a Troy telecast)?

TrojanWar
09-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Like him (Pruett) or not, he had nothing to do with the outcome of the game so it's not worth argueing over. I sort of liked what he brought to the table. It's an opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Regardless, he didn't mean a hill of beans to the game. I don't care if Pee-Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) calls the game. As long as we win it shouldn't matter.

We should be pissed about how our team played and not how good or bad the ESPN announcers did. Maybe the team has their priorities out of whack as well. That could be part of the problem.

tsu59
09-25-2005, 08:15 PM
. . .
Defensively, we stunk. Again, some say the defense played good. Consider the competition and then the arguement can be made for how bad they did play. This was a team that couldn't run the football on anyone...not even UCF! They ran on us and passed for over 250 yards. It's easy to pick out a few good things, but overall the defense was poor.

Now, how will we stack up against the rest of the Sun Belt? Offensively we will suck...BAD!!! Overall, we should be able to play with anyone in the conference considering everyone is playing bad with the exception of ASU (how did that happen?). FIU would lose to a lot of NAIA teams and has no business playing football at the D1A level. PERIOD!

Some - not all - of the reason that the defense looked bad is they stayed on the field all night.

I say again - Troy has not had an offense since moving to D-1A. :?

BMarkey
09-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah, but the DBs were confused and beaten from the first USC series. The line and backers kept us in it.

TrojanWar
09-25-2005, 09:15 PM
I agree Bob. I'm sick of the defense getting a free pass because they were in the game too long. When the problems are there from the opening kick, being tired is not an excuse. Our DB's don't even look for the football. There were so many times that they could have made INT's if they had just turned around. They are letting the receivers catch everything thrown at them, and then they worry about making a tackle. We are hurting in the backfield as bad as we are on the offense. LJ being out is not helping either, but the LB's are doing an ok job otherwise.

CardinalBlackTrojan
09-25-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm really starting to wish we had D.T. back right now. At least he can scramble...

CardinalBlackTrojan
09-25-2005, 10:29 PM
By the way, I'm new to the board. Have been reading posts on here since the 2003 marshall game, or somewhere in there.

TrojanWar
09-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Welcome RT! You should have started posting sooner. It's hard to stay quiet when the Trojans are sucking so bad. I look forward to your future posts. Try not to keep 2 years between every post! :P

BMarkey
09-25-2005, 10:55 PM
I wonder if the coaches had planned the offense around D.T., then had to scramble to find a pocket passer-type offense for Carl. Maybe it was rushed into use based on the loss of D.T.?

tsu59
09-26-2005, 08:41 AM
good question Bob - but I don't have the slighest idea - however I do know that 236 yds of O with 137 yds rushing for a season best is not good :?

And I read somwhere that the decision on starting QB would have been the same even if DT had been elgible this year :?:

Trojan83
09-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Troy rarely throws the ball over the middle?

Other than one pass play over the middle that the Troy receiver made a good catch, it seems all of our pass plays were outside the hash marks.

We ran the 5 yard sideline routes several times and all of our deep balls seems to be to the outside. Makes the opponents DBs look pretty good when they have the sideline helping them out on every play.

If the O line gives Carl the time to throw, he seems to be pretty accurate.

tsu59
09-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Troy rarely throws the ball over the middle?

Other than one pass play over the middle that the Troy receiver made a good catch, it seems all of our pass plays were outside the hash marks.

We ran the 5 yard sideline routes several times and all of our deep balls seems to be to the outside. Makes the opponents DBs look pretty good when they have the sideline helping them out on every play.

If the O line gives Carl the time to throw, he seems to be pretty accurate.
I've been calling for more post pattern pass routes for a year or 2 - I harped on the inside screen that LSU used so effectively when we played them.

we had some in the old days - don't know what happened to them :?

btrojan
09-26-2005, 10:12 AM
I believe that the coaches had a good idea that D.T. wasn't going to make it this year back in the spring. There is no way that the Carl M. we have seen this year beat out DT in the spring for the job.
Honestly he looks lost, even when he has time to throw. He over throws the 5 and out pattern pretty constistantly and underthrew screens. It is depressing to watch.

CardinalBlackTrojan
09-26-2005, 12:03 PM
I just don't see how Carl beat D.T. for starting quarterback. He might have been better on the practice field, but when you start playing in a game, that's when your true ability shows.

By the way, D.T. led us through most of the season last year, and look how well we did. Not to mention, he started in the LSU game last year, and we nearly beat em'.

kiwan
09-26-2005, 12:09 PM
I 100% believe they new in the spring that DT was done and made Carl the starter. They led us all, and Carl to believe he was the better QB. That was for damage control I think? Better for him to think he won the job than to get it by default. Alson since we have ruined a chance to redshirt Anthony Jones @ tailback ( just like Cattouse last year). Start the man!