PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

Possum
12-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm a coffee connoisseur, but have always had the old fashioned coffee maker. I usually like the Community Coffee Chicory Blend and the Cafe Du Monde Coffee, I love Creole/Nawlins' style coffee, since I spent a lot of my college summers and breaks in Cajun country with one of my buddies who was from down there. I like my coffee strong but, not bitter...

So, my mother in law is getting me one of those fancy Keurig coffee makers and was wondering what kind of k-cups I should try first...

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated... Thanks...

Chrono124
12-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I like the caribou coffee the best, I also recommend a solofill cup for using any type of tea or coffee. You can check it out at solofill.com its an awesome little machine. Good luck with it ;-)

troyw
12-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm a coffee connoisseur, but have always had the old fashioned coffee maker. I usually like the Community Coffee Chicory Blend and the Cafe Du Monde Coffee, I love Creole/Nawlins' style coffee, since I spent a lot of my college summers and breaks in Cajun country with one of my buddies who was from down there. I like my coffee strong but, not bitter...

So, my mother in law is getting me one of those fancy Keurig coffee makers and was wondering what kind of k-cups I should try first...

You better be prepared to increase your coffee budget if you primarily use the k-cups. They are more expense than "bulk" coffees in the bag.

BTW, according to Starbucks, bitter is not a taste found in coffee. Either it was brewed incorrectly or too strong, resulting in your taste buds perceiving it as bitter.

troyw
12-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Do you use filtered water to make your coffee? Chlorine in the drinking water can impart a negative taste on the coffee. Heated water tends to bring out the negative aspects of the water being used.

Chrono124
12-08-2011, 10:03 PM
You better be prepared to increase your coffee budget if you primarily use the k-cups. They are more expense than "bulk" coffees in the bag.

BTW, according to Starbucks, bitter is not a taste found in coffee. Either it was brewed incorrectly or too strong, resulting in your taste buds perceiving it as bitter.

that solofill cup for $15 is so u can buy bulk and use it in the machine works great, best $15 I spent on it.

TrojanEmpire
12-09-2011, 11:08 AM

The Donut Shop is awesome

Chrono124
12-09-2011, 12:28 PM
The Donut Shop is awesome

Yeah Donut Shop is pretty good, and Tullys is too.

dgoebel
12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I buy an 80 pack of Folgers K-Cups at Sam's Club for $32. It is excellent. I absolutely love my Kuerig, best money I ever spent. They also have Green Mountain French Vanilla for the same amount also. Bed, Bath and Beyond has the best K-Cup selection I have ever seen. Green Moutain, Wolgang Puck, Apple Ciders, Expresso Blends, Caribou, Starbucks...they have it all.

Possum
12-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I think my first go around I'm going to buy Emeril's Big Easy Bold and Tully's "Jet Fuel" both sound about my speed.

Chrono124
12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
I buy an 80 pack of Folgers K-Cups at Sam's Club for $32. It is excellent. I absolutely love my Kuerig, best money I ever spent. They also have Green Mountain French Vanilla for the same amount also. Bed, Bath and Beyond has the best K-Cup selection I have ever seen. Green Moutain, Wolgang Puck, Apple Ciders, Expresso Blends, Caribou, Starbucks...they have it all.

Yeah i get mine at BBB they do have the best selection. A little expensive there but good to figure out what you like. I have like every one they make from there LoL I like the Tullys french blend and the Caribou the best. Really its hard to find a bad one, the machine makes some great coffee. I have tried the Emrils big easy one and I wasnt really impressed with it, I have not tried the jet fuel but Tullys makes some pretty good ones.

redwaver
12-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah i get mine at BBB they do have the best selection. A little expensive there but good to figure out what you like. I have like every one they make from there LoL I like the Tullys french blend and the Caribou the best. Really its hard to find a bad one, the machine makes some great coffee. I have tried the Emrils big easy one and I wasnt really impressed with it, I have not tried the jet fuel but Tullys makes some pretty good ones.
Gosh, ya'll have kinda tweeked my interest with all this fancy coffee stuff. I have always been a camp coffee kinda guy. You know, get the water boiling in the fire, put in the grounds, leave it a while and then add cold water to sink the grounds. Don't sound as good as yours but on a COLD day in the deer woods it ain't half bad. Your sounds interesting though. Might give it a try. :)

Chrono124
12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Gosh, ya'll have kinda tweeked my interest with all this fancy coffee stuff. I have always been a camp coffee kinda guy. You know, get the water boiling in the fire, put in the grounds, leave it a while and then add cold water to sink the grounds. Don't sound as good as yours but on a COLD day in the deer woods it ain't half bad. Your sounds interesting though. Might give it a try. :)

lol it is a nice little machine but I can never replace my chatel teapot. No better way to make hot tea. For coffee though it's hard to beat it, you can set the temperature and everything makes it perfect.

Possum
12-09-2011, 10:51 PM
I "accidentally" opened my present early and tried it out... Drinking a cup of Colombian Bold Decaf right now (since its 9:47 pm) this thing is pretty dang nifty... Oh and it came with a My K-Cup, which I can use my old Cafe Du Monde and Community Chicory and Coffee grounds in it as well...

Oh and I just set it to automatically brew at 7 am in the morning...

This thing is AWESOME!! If you like coffee, this thing is a MUST have...

Dothan_Trojan97
12-09-2011, 11:57 PM
I bought one for my wife last year and she absolutely loves hers! She gets most of her coffee at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

dgoebel
12-10-2011, 07:27 AM
I "accidentally" opened my present early and tried it out... Drinking a cup of Colombian Bold Decaf right now (since its 9:47 pm) this thing is pretty dang nifty... Oh and it came with a My K-Cup, which I can use my old Cafe Du Monde and Community Chicory and Coffee grounds in it as well...

It is the greatest thing ever. It is the one thing I could not live without. My wife didn't even drink coffee till I bought one, now every morning she makes a K-Cup

sotstrojan
12-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I got my Keurig as a present last Christmas and I love it! My favorite every day k-cup coffee is donut shop. I also love that I can make tea, hot chocolate, and apple cider.

I always check to see who has a sale when I buy packs of k-cups because the prices vary greatly. You can find them everywhere - walmart, grocery stores, bed bath and beyond, kohls, and department stores. Also, if you go to the Keurig website and buy X amount of K-cup boxes you get a free sample pack.

Does anyone have the Keurig milk frother? Its on this year's Christmas list!

sotstrojan
12-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Which Keurig do you have? I can't figure out how to program mine to automatically brew. :confused-smiley-004

Possum
12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Its under the menu options... I think its the 3rd option available

troyw
12-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Does anyone have an issue with mold growing on their Keurig? I have read complaints about this happening but I'm not sure if it's model specific or not.

Chrono124
12-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Does anyone have an issue with mold growing on their Keurig? I have read complaints about this happening but I'm not sure if it's model specific or not.

I have had mine for around two years now and I have never seen any mold in it. I have had problems with water build up inside if you let it sit for a while, but all you have to do it hit it on the top and it will break it loose :P

Possum
12-12-2011, 07:54 AM
I tried K-Cup called Caribou Brew and it had a strange taste to it...

So far my favs are Tully's Jet Fuel, Big Easy Bold and Black Magic...