PDA

View Full Version : UAB New Hire?

socrgoly25
12-03-2011, 01:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7309851/source-uab-blazers-hire-garrick-mcgee-arkansas-razorbacks-football-coach

Arkansas offensive coordinator Garrick McGee has verbally accepted an offer to become UAB's coach, a source told ESPN Saturday.

McGee is a former Oklahoma quarterback and Jacksonville Jaguars assistant.

Arkansas' offense has blossomed the past two seasons under the guidance of McGee, and the Razorbacks made their first BCS bowl appearance last season....

dgoebel
12-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Another opponent picking up a young, aggressive coach. UAB could be trouble for us next season.

Schard
12-05-2011, 12:08 AM
UAB is trouble for Troy every season. UAB hiring Garrick McGee is a big upgrade for Blazer Football. This guy is a winner, an excellent recruiter, and a great motivator... lightyears ahead of Watson Brown and Neil Callaway.

Chrono124
12-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Who Cares about UAB, they are OOC and a slowly dieing dinosaur of a team. They are of no concern to me at all, the only thing I care about is crushing USA the In State rival thats In our Conference now Knocking on our Door....}:/

Trojans1andAll
12-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Who Cares about UAB, they are OOC and a slowly dieing dinosaur of a team. They are of no concern to me at all, the only thing I care about is crushing USA the In State rival thats In our Conference now Knocking on our Door....}:/

They're not our rival in football, they just think they are. Let's crush them the first time and every time and show them they're WRONG!

Burn the Horse
12-06-2011, 11:04 AM
MTSU is our rival, period. UAB fans are just annoying and I like to beat their crappy team. :thumb:

redwaver
12-06-2011, 12:04 PM
MTSU is our rival, period. UAB fans are just annoying and I like to beat their crappy team. :thumb:
I truly believe that USA WILL become our rival in football!! Just common sense. They are the closest SBC school to us and the only other SBC school in the state, they recruit the same players we do, we both count on much of the same area for our fan bases (south Alabama-Florida panhandle), they will push the issue and make beating Troy a priority. They will gloat for eternity should they ever beat us and will beat their chest every time we play them. That "still undefeated" mentality will raise it's ugly head when we play them. JMHO

Trojans1andAll
12-07-2011, 09:16 AM
If they can beat us once or twice, okay, we might go toward the word "rivalry" but until then, let's just call it "kicking jaguar a$$"

PS: They can't say "undefeated" anymore. They lost two D-IA games this year.

Burn the Horse
12-07-2011, 11:14 AM
PS: They can't say "undefeated" anymore. They lost two D-IA games this year.

which we ALL knew would happen once they started playing big boy ball.

FoulPolePhenom
12-07-2011, 12:08 PM

They also lost big to Cal Poly, a I-AA team

Doug4Troy
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
uab is trouble for troy every season. Uab hiring garrick mcgee is a big upgrade for blazer football. This guy is a winner, an excellent recruiter, and a great motivator... Lightyears ahead of watson brown and neil callaway.

24-23

Chrono124
12-07-2011, 11:01 PM

Amen, and also I didn't really mean "rival" I just meant that they are now an in state SBC opponent so we need to smash their faces in (figuratively speaking). UAB will always be the sibling rivalry type thing. Throw USA into the mix as the ugly little cousin trying to prove themselves that's all it is.

redwaver
12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I truly believe that USA WILL become our rival in football!! Just common sense. They are the closest SBC school to us and the only other SBC school in the state, they recruit the same players we do, we both count on much of the same area for our fan bases (south Alabama-Florida panhandle), they will push the issue and make beating Troy a priority. They will gloat for eternity should they ever beat us and will beat their chest every time we play them. That "still undefeated" mentality will raise it's ugly head when we play them. JMHO
In 10 years they will be our rival. Just remember, you heard it here first!:laughing021::wave::eatdrink004::thumb:

Trojans1andAll
12-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Redwaver, if it's so important to you that ua'sb-Mobile campus become our rival, would you be happier if they beat us a couple of times to speed things up?

redwaver
12-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Now there is an observation for you. WHERE on earth did I imply that I wanted/needed them to beat us to make a "rival"? I am amazed at how some can take a simple observation and turn it into an implied negative. The fact that you DON"T want them to become a rival with us will have about the same effect as my position that they will....ABSOLUTELY NONE! I just said, and I repeat it slowly, that recruiting, geographics, and press (both covered by south Alabama/FL. Panhandle papers....oops excuse me, the Pensacola News Journal does not cover Troy) will apply the type "pressures" that lead to "rivals". I think they will push the issue as well, for the same reasons. They know we have been the elite team in the Belt and that will make us a target for them very quickly. They have a ton of money and a determined administration and good coaching staff so they will come on strong after us. I think it will take a while for them to become a serious threat but I do believe in time they will and it would be foolish for us not to think so. Think about it, we are the biggest trophy for them right now in the belt. I do think they will not be in the Belt very long. Sadly I think, due to being in a big viewing market, they will get an early invite elsewhere (CUSA). Now, if none of that never happens, hopefully my SS check won't be impounded for false rumors. You see, I am just gussin'....just like you.:laughing021:

Trojans1andAll
12-08-2011, 06:39 PM
So with all the advantages they have that you stated, why *ever* equalize their program with ours? Compete with them? We have to. Give them a free hand up? NO! They would *never* do the same for us if the roles were reversed.

Instead of standing around talking about other Belt schools moving up, we should be talking about what we can do to help ourselves. I'm from Mobile. I have friends that went to "South". But I don't give two %#s what they do in athletics. If its not Troy, it's CRAP. = )

Burn the Horse
12-08-2011, 07:16 PM
If its not Troy, it's CRAP. = )

http://gifs.gifbin.com/1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

redwaver
12-08-2011, 08:40 PM
:eatdrink004:
So with all the advantages they have that you stated, why *ever* equalize their program with ours? Compete with them? We have to. Give them a free hand up? NO! They would *never* do the same for us if the roles were reversed.

Instead of standing around talking about other Belt schools moving up, we should be talking about what we can do to help ourselves. I'm from Mobile. I have friends that went to "South". But I don't give two %#s what they do in athletics. If its not Troy, it's CRAP. = )
There you go again, what "advantages" did I "state"? Reading with comprehension should be an easy but necessary exercise for this board. "Free hand up"? Where or what is in my post to support I offered that? Surely offering supportive evidence is still a basic English fact. I acknowledge your love and support for our Trojans! Since you are from Mobile I suppose you have developed reasons why you "hate" USA. That is your issue not mine. I have no feelings for them one way or the other. I just don't get into this absured hate everyone not Troy stuff. I will be there yelling "beat these Jags" along with you and everyone else on game day but after the game I will respect their efforts. They are a fine institution just like Troy and all the other Belt schools along with the other universities we participate against. We don't do ourselves a lot of credit or give our efforts a lot of class if we have to hate every institution we play. You can want to beat them on game day and beat them thoroughly, no problem, but not to respect what they do or have done is ridiculous. Put them on our level? Me thinks they will have to be the ones putting themselves at whatever level but to not think they are a viable opponent reminds me of a game or two this year. To ignore or disrespect their programs is a serious mistake. I am quiet sure the coaches and players know that. You see, as athletes we were taught to know, challenge, out work and out think your opponents but also to respect them. Otherwise how can we ask for respect from them. Respect is something earned, not given!! This is just two opinions and opinions are like tushes.....everybody has one! PEACE my friend!:eatdrink004:

Trojans1andAll
12-09-2011, 12:05 AM
There you go again, what "advantages" did I "state"?

Maybe you didn't outright call them "advantages" but they are, and you said:

I just said, and I repeat it slowly, that recruiting, geographics, and press (both covered by south Alabama/FL. Panhandle papers....oops excuse me, the Pensacola News Journal does not cover Troy) will apply the type "pressures" that lead to "rivals".

They have a ton of money...

Maybe "all the advantages" was a poor choice of words, implying many, but they are important.

"Free hand up"? Where or what is in my post to support I offered that?

By calling USA our rival we're putting aside 100+ years of football tradition and saying they are the same as us. That's what I meant by "a free hand up." Making a 3 year old program our equal. In a sense all Belt teams are rivals. But we're not rivals with ULL like we are with MT. We're not rivals with WKU like we are with ua'sb. We're only helping USA, who would never help us.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/rival

1 a : one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess b : one striving for competitive advantage
2 obsolete : companion, associate
3 : equal, peer

WHERE on earth did I imply that I wanted/needed them to beat us to make a "rival"?

See above. IF rivalry is what you want, that's what's gotta happen. Technically, we should be bitter rivals with ULM more than any other Belt team.

I DO respect what USA is capable of. That's why I'm not going to help them do it by calling them our rival. Establishing dominance early and keeping it is not rivalry, it's stopping rivalry before it starts. That's what I want/hope Troy will do.

Chrono124
12-09-2011, 03:37 AM
Troy is the master race, USA and UAB both suck, end of story....goodnight :p

redwaver
12-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Maybe you didn't outright call them "advantages" but they are, and you said:

Maybe "all the advantages" was a poor choice of words, implying many, but they are important.

By calling USA our rival we're putting aside 100+ years of football tradition and saying they are the same as us. That's what I meant by "a free hand up." Making a 3 year old program our equal. In a sense all Belt teams are rivals. But we're not rivals with ULL like we are with MT. We're not rivals with WKU like we are with ua'sb. We're only helping USA, who would never help us.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/rival

1 a : one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess b : one striving for competitive advantage
2 obsolete : companion, associate
3 : equal, peer

See above. IF rivalry is what you want, that's what's gotta happen. Technically, we should be bitter rivals with ULM more than any other Belt team.

I DO respect what USA is capable of. That's why I'm not going to help them do it by calling them our rival. Establishing dominance early and keeping it is not rivalry, it's stopping rivalry before it starts. That's what I want/hope Troy will do.
To end this silly debate, I didn't say I WANTED THEM TO BECOME OUR RIVAL. I said I BELIEVED they would become our rival (if they stay in the Belt which I doubt). Since when did equal years of participation in a sport become a requirement for being someone's "rival"? Let's see, if that is true FSU can't be a "rival" of Florida in football. So given your definition of "rival" MTSU can't be our "rival" because we beat them all the time. We can be theirs though, right? There has to be more important stuff going on out there than discussing this. What's the latest on changes,etc. out there? Is our two guys form last year still committed to return to Troy. Why has that not been announced? Man, this is really a down time of the year with the season over and ours was one, as a fan, you need to forget but can't.

Trojans1andAll
12-09-2011, 10:15 PM
I said *if* you wanted a rivalry. And yes, IMO the rivalry with MT is fading.

Let me ask you this, do you think a "rivalry" with USA would be good for Troy? Yes or no?

redwaver
12-10-2011, 12:06 AM
I said *if* you wanted a rivalry. And yes, IMO the rivalry with MT is fading.

Let me ask you this, do you think a "rivalry" with USA would be good for Troy? Yes or no?
I don't think it will have any effect on Troy one way or the other just like all other "rivals". Having that label might put a few more butts in the seats but true fans will be there rival or not. I can't think of one thing being called a rival game does to help any team including Troy. At the same time, I don't think it hurts a school or game either.