PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant/Bar ideas

Possum
12-01-2011, 12:12 AM
One of my friends asked me the other day what I thought would do well in TROY as far as Restaurants/Bars go and I thought I would ask y'alls opinion...

I told him that Troy is not the best place to open a restaurant/bar, but just thought I would ask. Thanks.

TrojanFanatic
12-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Sports Bar/Grill would be great I think, but they need to make sure they have access to all the Troy games for the students/fans that can't attend the games, and be reasonably priced for a college budget. This is just my opinion of course

Possum
12-01-2011, 12:31 AM
The whole sports bar idea I thought tanked with the Locker Room...

TrojanFanatic
12-01-2011, 12:45 AM

Not sure, never ate at the Locker Room but if it was overpriced, like 90% of the restaurants here, but again, not sure. It's gonna have to be good food for a good price, seems like the buffet style works well around here

Possum
12-01-2011, 12:52 AM
He was thinking a 24 hour place that the drunkies could sober up, like a burger/hotdog kinda place for Cheap...

TrojanFanatic
12-01-2011, 01:04 AM
that works too

Hemi Man
12-01-2011, 07:39 AM

I think the cost of the rent there was a big part of the problem. If you want a sports bar to succeed you will draft beer, a lot of variety of beers, plenty of TV's with all the Troy road games, and other in state team on, good food at a reasonable price, and probably located on the University side of 231. Is there anywhere in Troy that has NFL Sunday ticket? That would help sunday business although the no beer on Sunday would hurt. Pitch some money to the University as a sponsor. Get your name out there. Be creative.

TrojanWarrior418
12-01-2011, 09:18 AM
If I was going to open up a bar in Troy I'd say you need to open one up more that's like a club. Give the students something to do on weekends. Drink specials. Live music in one room, a DJ in another room. Maybe one that you have to have to follow a dress code to get into. But most importantly you have to be 18+ otherwise you'll have no luck, just make them pay a higher cover.

As far a restaurant goes I'd say you'll do fine the first month or two because people will flock to the "new" restaurant to do the "new" thing and taste the "new" food but then you have to have a product/service that will keep people coming back and be able to sustain business when the students leave and the next "new" restaurant comes in.
I would take a look at what Troy has and then do the exact opposite. Face it how many chicken places does Troy have? Sandwich shoppes? Burger joints? Even sushi places. Now find out what Troy doesn't have and jump in on it.

I would almost say something like a Shoney's would work because 1) you'd have a buffet for cheap. That appeals to students and locals because they are both on a budget. 2) It's not fast food 3) Variety on the menu. 4) Decent hours. 5) Could work in the Christmas Break/ Summer Break times with people passing through to the beach and the older crowd.

troy4ever21
12-01-2011, 02:46 PM
A PIZZA BUFFET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why hasn't any jumped on this? A 6th grader would know that a town full of college students (I don't call Troy a college town, because it isn't) would LOVE a pizza buffet.

Yeah we need bars, restaurants, etc, but a pizza buffet would be a great investment.

I have the perfect place for you guys to open one, the old Movie Gallery building on South Brundidge St. OKAY, NOW GET ON IT! :eatdrink004: :thumb:

troy4ever21
12-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I'd like to add two more places that Troy needs:

1- A Cracker Barrel: I'm tired of Awful Waffle and I'm sure many other students are as well. Old people love it and they're the ones controlling the City. Then there's truckers, travelers, and others who use the highway that would stop in for a bite to eat along the way.

2- A Golden Corral: As stated before college kids would love a buffet in town. They'd love an American buffet because it would be a nice change from the hundreds of Chinese buffets. Old people, middle age people, college students, everyone loves buffets. It's cheap and you get tons of food. Additionally, I prefer Golden Corral to Ryan's. Every Ryan's I've been to in the past 10 years has sucked.

Possum
12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
He was thinking a 24 hour "Locker Room" style place, but with a Lot cheaper prices... Something that you see on the travel channel when they go to college towns.

Burgers, Hot dogs, Wings, pizza... etc.

Even have an eating challenge or two...

TrojanFanatic
12-01-2011, 08:11 PM
I still say that would be the best idea here, a sober up joint for the weekends and a family restaurant for the week

troyaluminmichigan
12-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Not sure why, and maybe I'm missing it, but why isn't there a hot dog joint in Troy? Something akin (but different) to the Varsity in Atlanta?

I graduated high school in Pike County, and of course went to Troy...........

There was nothing like that....... "A MUST DO PLACE" if you will.........

Quick, cheap, easy, and all about Troy? Why not?

Burn the Horse
12-01-2011, 11:06 PM
I LOVED The Locker Room the few times I ate there. it had it's faults, but it supported Troy above all others, the food was good, and the atmosphere was excellent with all the Trojan memorabilia.

I was very sad when I heard it closed. I ate there every trip I made to Troy.

troy4ever21
12-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Not sure why, and maybe I'm missing it, but why isn't there a hot dog joint in Troy? Something akin (but different) to the Varsity in Atlanta?

I graduated high school in Pike County, and of course went to Troy...........

There was nothing like that....... "A MUST DO PLACE" if you will.........

Quick, cheap, easy, and all about Troy? Why not?

There's a hot dog shack next to CVS called the doghouse. Never been there though. The Varsity if disgusting, in my opinion. The one in Athens, which is closed, and the one in Atlanta. I know it's tradition and people leave it, but I never seem to enjoy the food when I go. I will say that if you haven't been, go. It's a fun place and Georgia Tech's campus is fantastic!

Burn the Horse
12-02-2011, 12:41 PM
what Troy really needs is a Boardwalk Fresh Burgers and Fries.

they just opened the first one of the state in Montgomery in Eastchase off Taylor Rd and OMG it is amazing. the burgers remind of of Five Guys but they are cheaper and the fries are incredible. you are supposed to drench them in apple vinegar and this seafood power seasoning and it really makes 'em different.

Chrono124
12-03-2011, 01:47 AM
I would give u ideas, but then it would ruin my own business plans muhahahaha. You guys are missing the mark though things are changing quickly and if someone wants to do anything in the restaurant biz you have to be thinking wayyyyyy ahead. My advice go to Atlanta, and sample a few places; graveyard, Iberian pig, brickstore, farm burger. Take notes and observe the special things about each one, they are all very different but much alike as well. Another piece of advice is to stop focusing on budget and price Troy is limited on everything to do so if you can provide a good meal and a wonderful experience ppl will pay for it.

Most Important Be Creative :)