PDA

View Full Version : JUCO quarterback commits to Troy

Hemi Man
11-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Hinds, Miss. Community College quarterback Deon Anthony recently committed to Troy.

Anthony, 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, visited Troy officially for the FAU game. He earned an offer not long after that.

"I like the team and I like the coaching staff," Anthony said. "The offense is similar to what we ran (at Hinds) and it would be a good fit. I feel like (the coaches) want me to come in and change the program, and I feel like I can do that."

http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2011/11/juco-quarterback-commits-to-troy.html

Trojans1andAll
11-29-2011, 02:03 AM
I feel like (the coaches) want me to come in and change the program, and I feel like I can do that."

Good. We need some changes in Troy.

redwaver
11-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Hinds, Miss. Community College quarterback Deon Anthony recently committed to Troy.

Anthony, 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, visited Troy officially for the FAU game. He earned an offer not long after that.

"I like the team and I like the coaching staff," Anthony said. "The offense is similar to what we ran (at Hinds) and it would be a good fit. I feel like (the coaches) want me to come in and change the program, and I feel like I can do that."

http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2011/11/juco-quarterback-commits-to-troy.html
Let's see.....he has two years left and Cory has 2 years left. Wonder what "changes" he is referring to. Man we need to change but I would rather have a Juco guy say he wants to come and do everything he can to help Troy win games......whatever. I guess I am getting tired of this I and ME stuff. How many QB's do we have now? I bet they are looking at him for something else. Maybe he is a good athlete and LB has other ideas. I see no way he can be a factor at QB. I think Cory showed us last year he is better than most Juco QB's. Hopefully he will get back to that level in '12.

dgoebel
11-29-2011, 09:29 AM
If he is similar to Omar then he has a chance to play. Having a QB who can run the spread-option will be huge. Having Delta State and Memphis mentioned as schools looking at him leaves me ????

I have another feeling he is a Jenkins who will transfer or ends up at reciever. With all the needs we have and 3 scholarship QB's now and one HS commit, this seems like a possible waste of a scholarship.

Can someone tell me why we aren't recruiting DL??? Same old Troy recruiting again, Miss. juco's????

TrojanLB08
11-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Deon Anthony Highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhNASOTqig

DedicatedTrojan84
11-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Let's see.....he has two years left and Cory has 2 years left. Wonder what "changes" he is referring to. Man we need to change but I would rather have a Juco guy say he wants to come and do everything he can to help Troy win games......whatever. I guess I am getting tired of this I and ME stuff. How many QB's do we have now? I bet they are looking at him for something else. Maybe he is a good athlete and LB has other ideas. I see no way he can be a factor at QB. I think Cory showed us last year he is better than most Juco QB's. Hopefully he will get back to that level in '12.

"They want me to come in and push him, but if I don't win the job, they said they can use me at receiver or in some quarterback packages," Anthony said. "I feel like there will still be a place for me on the offense."

Sounds good to DT84.

dgoebel
11-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Deon Anthony Highlight video:

I stand corrected :thumb: He needs a look at QB in the spring. He could give us a whole new offensive deminsion. He can flat out run the option out of spread and he looks like he throws much better than Jenkins did.

DedicatedTrojan84
11-29-2011, 11:00 AM
I stand corrected :thumb: He needs a look at QB in the spring. He could give us a whole new offensive deminsion. He can flat out run the option out of spread and he looks like he throws much better than Jenkins did.

DT84 thinks that if CR never bumped his head and stopped being a star then we would have never looked at a JUCO QB but there is no denying that his performance this year has been lackluster. The guy has a good video resume. DT84 is ready for Spring.

dgoebel
11-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Every QB we have needs to get a serious look in the Spring. Problem we have is none other than CR have played in a game. Some guys will just perform in a game...look at Levi. 3rd string to OPOY in 2009!!! Along with the QB's every position on the team is open competition. After a 3-9 season, the word returning starter doesn't mean squat.

Chrono124
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Every QB we have needs to get a serious look in the Spring. Problem we have is none other than CR have played in a game. Some guys will just perform in a game...look at Levi. 3rd string to OPOY in 2009!!! Along with the QB's every position on the team is open competition. After a 3-9 season, the word returning starter doesn't mean squat.

You cant deny though that levi's past performances before he gained the starting position werent exactly that great. I am thankful he stepped up like he did though he definitely came into his own that last year. I think another good expirienced QB would be a great compliment for CR too, it would definitely keep CR fresh and give him a little break throughout the season. CR got smacked around so much this season it wasnt even funny, he was hurt half the season and there wasnt anyone out there to help in out, other than jamie but god bless him everytime he hits the field he gets hurt. I think to have two strong QBs takng turns throughout the game would be great. This guy has good size, he has expirience on the field, and he seems very comfortable in the pocket and running if he has too. These new high school guys need time to come into their own just like levi did. I also agree that its all up in the air in the offseason and the best player should get the job if they earn it.

dgoebel
11-29-2011, 01:45 PM
This sounds strange but sometimes there are practice players and there are game players. What I mean is a player who looks all world in practice but just doesn't get the job done in a game. Then there are the Tom Brady types...don't impress you watching them but in a game, they are money!!! Some of these players never get to shine cause they never get in to prove what they can do in the clutch. I am really hoping Troy has some hidden gems somewhere just looking to get in the light so they can shine.

My daughter has played competitive fast pitch travel softball for 5 years. We played with a girl who just killed the ball in practice and looked like an all-american. But in a game, struck out quite frequently and always had a low avg. We had another girl who didn't impress you looking at her practice but in a game, she always got the clutch hit or made the clutch play.

Chrono124
11-29-2011, 01:47 PM
This sounds strange but sometimes there are practice players and there are game players. What I mean is a player who looks all world in practice but just doesn't get the job done in a game. Then there are the Tom Brady types...don't impress you watching them but in a game, they are money!!! Some of these players never get to shine cause they never get in to prove what they can do in the clutch. I am really hoping Troy has some hidden gems somewhere just looking to get in the light so they can shine.

I think there are alot of hidden gems on this team, they just need time to be polished. ;)

pelliott
11-29-2011, 03:15 PM
If he can learn our system - he is our quarterback - just way too athletic not to be. If he is a quiet leader and not a hot head or showboat - he will make Troy look really good. back to work now that I finished my pb&j

dgoebel
11-29-2011, 05:02 PM
If he can learn our system - he is our quarterback - just way too athletic not to be. If he is a quiet leader and not a hot head or showboat - he will make Troy look really good. back to work now that I finished my pb&j

He played in a similar system it said. If he can remotely throw the ball he is going to see some time at QB. It adds a dimension we don't have. It amazed me when we were running zone read option with CR. My grand mother knew he wasn't going to run.

troyaluminmichigan
11-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not the coach. I've never played football. I am a former athlete (track and field). I'm a former military officer. I am a business leader.

No one's job is ever guaranteed. I want Corey Robinson to succeed. I want the team to succeed more. Strong competition with remove complacency. Strong competition amongst TRUE teammates should breed mutual respect and admiration so they have each others back.

Bottomline-Competition makes everyone better.

The balancing act for the coaches is to create a co-opetitve environment that pulls the best out of every player, so they challenge each other and back each other up at a moments notice. Heaven forbid, something could happen to one of our players at any moment, and we need someone to step in.

Just remember, we likely would have never had Levi Brown if Jamie Hampton didn't get hurt. No one wanted that scenario, but in this sport it happens. We need to constantly prepare for these scenarios.

All positions should be open competition next year, and put our best on the field.

Rette
11-29-2011, 11:33 PM
WOW!! A quarterback that can scramble. I had almost forgotten what it looked like. I am going to be watching him in the spring!!:thumb::bounce012:

Lego
12-01-2011, 02:20 PM
A quarterback that can scramble.

Need one of these bad. At the very least to shake things up

But probaly are going to move him to WR/RB/Wildcat guy

Possum
12-01-2011, 04:58 PM
It kinda looks like Omar... I just hope he doesn't throw as many interceptions as he did.

pelliott
12-01-2011, 10:18 PM
throws a much better ball than Omar - this guys is good

PCTrojan
12-02-2011, 12:42 AM
I have done some scouting in the past and I have studied many hours of football and I will tell you what I see pros/cons wise:

Pros
Above Average Speed
Ability to break tackles
Good ability to throw on the run

Cons
Poor footwork
One read QB
Elongated throwing motion
Average to below average throwing arm. He can get it there just velocity is not where it needs to be.

PCTrojan
12-02-2011, 12:44 AM
I personally see him being the JH for the news offense next year, CR has not been the same since JH went down against MTSU last year. We need that QB/Wildcat that presents a threat to run and pass. CR is our guy for better or for worse. His yardage is going to be a top15 NCAA all-time stat if he continues at his current pace.

dgoebel
12-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Drew's blog just said he is visiting Pitt, so we might lose him.

Trojan2003
12-16-2011, 05:06 PM
I watched his highlight video and I think he could start for us... he could be the next Haugabook. I like his mobility!

- - - - - - - -

Pitt weighing quarterback options for next season
-> http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_771164.html

By Jerry DiPaola, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 9, 2011

Junior college quarterback Deon Anthony of Hinds (Miss.) Community College said he plans to visit Pitt next weekend after spending time with Panthers quarterbacks coach Todd Dodge on Wednesday.

"I've heard a lot of good stuff," Anthony said. "I just want to see for myself."

Anthony said Pitt coaches are showing considerable interest.

"They were saying they need a quarterback who can move in the pocket and run the read-option," he said. "They don't have the quarterback with the athleticism they need to run the offense. ...

Anthony wants to enroll at a four-year school for the winter 2012 semester. He said he will decide from among Pitt, Kentucky and Troy when the junior college transfer signing period begins Dec. 21. He has verbally committed to Troy.

Anthony threw for 2,202 yards and 18 touchdowns and ran for 461 yards and nine scores this past season. He was named NJCAA player of the week after completing 14 of 18 passes for 415 yards and four touchdowns in a 59-32 victory against Pearl River (Miss.) Community College on Oct. 22.

...that Anthony can run the 40-yard dash in the 4.4- to 4.5-second range.

Murphy said Anthony has operated in an offense similar to Pitt's read-option, no-huddle in high school and at Hinds. "A lot of what Auburn did with Cam Newton," Murphy said.

trojanbrutha
12-19-2011, 10:36 AM
According to ESPN Scouts, Inc, he committed yesterday...need to see if Drew has that same info.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/145853/deon-anthony

Lego
12-19-2011, 10:53 AM
According to ESPN Scouts, Inc, he committed yesterday...need to see if Drew has that same info.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/145853/deon-anthony

Hope they give him a fair shot at QB. Could turn out to be a Omar H ?

sasquatch67
12-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Check him out!!:bounce012: Just turn the vulgar music down..

Lego
12-20-2011, 05:19 AM

Could he lead Troy to a "Cam Newton" year in 2012 (13-0 ?) :bounce012:

Trojan2003
12-20-2011, 02:59 PM
I think he is more comparable to BJ Daniels than Omar.

Lego
12-20-2011, 03:27 PM
I think he is more comparable to BJ Daniels than Omar.

I'll take Daniels all day too.

trojanbrutha
12-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Anthony inks with Troy Trojans (http://www.hindsccsports.com/news/2011/12/22/FB_1222115556.aspx)

12/22/2011 6:10:00 PM

http://www.hindsccsports.com/images/2011/10/27/rp_primary__MG_0050.jpg

Sophomore quarterback Deon Anthony had a breakout season in 2011. Used primarily as a wide receiver in 2010, Anthony had a lot to prove in 2011 while taking over at QB for the Eagles. Having guided the Eagles to their first playoff berth since 2004, Anthony now will prove he can play QB on the next level, as a member of the Troy Trojans.

dgoebel
12-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Will he enroll in Jan. and go through Spring?

trojanbrutha
12-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Will he enroll in Jan. and go through Spring?

Yes...that is the advantage for mid-year jucos and high-schoolers that graduate early...participating and competing in the spring. Ex. Zach Johnson and now, Shaq Beverly should be, also.

Hemi Man
12-26-2011, 05:04 PM

The kid looks good on video. I noticed his receivers get open for him as well. That is always a plus.

redwaver
12-26-2011, 06:28 PM
The kid looks good on video. I noticed his receivers get open for him as well. That is always a plus.
Sure doesn't hurt. CR could have used some of that this year.

Hemi Man
12-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Sure doesn't hurt. CR could have used some of that this year.

No doubt that it would help a lot.

dgoebel
12-27-2011, 09:35 AM
This coming Spring practice and T-Day Game are going to be the most exciting in a long time I think. If everyone's job is on the line...and it should be..you could see some high energy, spirited practice with some hitting going on. I can tell you, I can't wait to see the T-Day Game and I am really excited to see this Juco QB play. His running, if nothing else is going top bring some excitment and a dimension to our offense that we deperately need. Even if he goes in at wildcat, we can do multiple things with him, even some wideout double passes etc. He played his first year of juco at WR. It is going to be great to watch this group get after it.

trojanbrutha
12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
http://247sports.com/Player/Deon-Anthony-17161

Bio

Deon Anthony is a 6-1, 205-pound Dual-Threat Quarterback from Raymond, MS. He is ranked No. 84 in the country by 247Sports.

Anthony is the No. 16 recruit in Mississippi (MS) and is the No. 2 Dual-Threat Quarterback in the nation.

Anthony has a 247Sports rating of 82, making him a 3-star prospect.

He has committed to Troy.

redwaver
12-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Can't imagine that not being a good pickup. Makes our offense more complete and harder for the opponent to defense. Great sign!!

Lego
12-30-2011, 08:34 PM

I just hope they give him a clear shot at the job. He could be a season changer for the O

Lego
12-30-2011, 08:38 PM
This coming Spring practice and T-Day Game are going to be the most exciting in a long time I think. If everyone's job is on the line...and it should be..you could see some high energy, spirited practice

1. It will be an exciting T-day Game.
2. I have lost a little faith on our leadership on trying to perform what it takes to have a winning program. The last few years I have seen some "protection" for some coaches and players as being penciled in. Hope that changes in '12.

redwaver
12-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I just hope they give him a clear shot at the job. He could be a season changer for the O
I can see him doing what JJ did. I bet he will be a guy who gives CR a break and the opponent a different look but I think CR will still be the main guy at QB. JMO!

Lego
12-30-2011, 08:50 PM
I can see him doing what JJ did. I bet he will be a guy who gives CR a break and the opponent a different look but I think CR will still be the main guy at QB. JMO!

Why can't he get a fair shot to run the offense ? Why can't he be a better Omar ?

redwaver
12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Why can't he get a fair shot to run the offense ? Why can't he be a better Omar ?
Oh, I suspect he will get that chance or they may not have gone after him. What I said was my best guess and for what that is worth would make Ron Paul laugh!:rollinglaugh::laughing021:

Lego
12-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Oh, I suspect he will get that chance or they may not have gone after him. What I said was my best guess and for what that is worth would make Ron Paul laugh!:rollinglaugh::laughing021:

My fear is they get him on campus and try to convert him to WR

redwaver
12-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't know, they have stockpiled a good group of WR at least on paper. I think his type QB skills is what we need more than a WR. CR is a great passer and runs the team well but he is NO RUNNER and our opponents know it.

Lego
12-30-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't know, they have stockpiled a good group of WR at least on paper. I think his type QB skills is what we need more than a WR. CR is a great passer and runs the team well but he is NO RUNNER and our opponents know it.

yeah, Like this year when they would run zone read type run option with CR, everyone know he was not going to run it. It was going to a handoff or pass.

redwaver
12-30-2011, 09:21 PM
yeah, Like this year when they would run zone read type run option with CR, everyone know he was not going to run it. It was going to a handoff or pass.
Absolutly!

dgoebel
12-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Absolutly!

IMO they recruited him to play QB. CR is not a terrible QB but this year exposed some serious flaws in our system. When you QB is not a threat to run, you don't have a dominant RB and WR are not great you have problems. Almost every team in the conference is running our offense so they see it in practice and know how to defend it (although somehow Troy can't do the same). When your QB is a threat to run, it forces you to defend that aspect. Look at what ULL, ASU, and WKU did with running QB's. I think he has to get a serious look in the spring. Even if he doesn't start, he should play a lot next season.

Hemi Man
12-31-2011, 11:08 AM

Potentially 6 quarterbacks at Troy next year.

trojanbrutha
12-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Potentially 6 quarterbacks at Troy next year.

1) Corey Robinson
2) Luke Barnes
3) Dallas Tidwell
4) Liam Miller
5) KD Edenfield

6) Deon Anthony*
7) Brandon Silvers*

Did I miss anyone?

* not from 2011 team

dgoebel
12-31-2011, 01:58 PM
1) Corey Robinson
2) Luke Barnes
3) Dallas Tidwell
4) Liam Miller
5) KD Edenfield

6) Deon Anthony*
7) Brandon Silvers*

Did I miss anyone?

* not from 2011 team

Miller is a walk-on, and if KE gets the UNA job, KD will transfer. Should be fun to watch the battle in spring.

redwaver
12-31-2011, 02:04 PM
1) Corey Robinson
2) Luke Barnes
3) Dallas Tidwell
4) Liam Miller
5) KD Edenfield

6) Deon Anthony*
7) Brandon Silvers*

Did I miss anyone?

* not from 2011 team
Yea, that is unusual. Wonder what they have up their sleeves? I am sure Silvers will Red shirt but 5 others? WOW!

trojanbrutha
12-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Miller is a walk-on, and if KE gets the UNA job, KD will transfer. Should be fun to watch the battle in spring.

Miller was a preferred walk-on...I'm pretty sure he'll be on scholly next season.

redwaver
12-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Good points but we haven't lost KE yet. I for one hope he stays.

dgoebel
12-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Good points but we haven't lost KE yet. I for one hope he stays.

Me to. I like Kenny a lot and he was a great teamate when we played :wave:

NWFLTrojan
01-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Miller was a preferred walk-on...I'm pretty sure he'll be on scholly next season.

From what I understand, if you are a walk on (even a preferred walk on) you have to start before you get your scholarship. I believe Levi Brown didn't have a scholarship until his last year although he was starting during the second half of his junior year.

trojanbrutha
01-01-2012, 08:21 AM
From what I understand, if you are a walk on (even a preferred walk on) you have to start before you get your scholarship. I believe Levi Brown didn't have a scholarship until his last year although he was starting during the second half of his junior year.

I believe that's at the discretion of the coaches and availability of schollies...I could be wrong, though...

NWFLTrojan
01-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Sounds logical to me.

dgoebel
01-02-2012, 10:16 AM
If memory serves me, Tyler Clark was a preferred walk-on, played in every game his true freshman season (2007) and started the last 5, started all 13 games in 2008 and then was awarded a scholarship in summer of 2009. If that is true that is curiously strange. Seems he would have been awarded after 2007. Does anyone have knowledge on this.

GunSlingers
01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
There is also another QB. Kevin Pantastico, he was a redshirt freshman this season; transfer from Arizona State

Lego
01-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Is Pantastico still with the program ?

1) Corey Robinson
2) Luke Barnes
3) Dallas Tidwell
4) Liam Miller
5) KD Edenfield
6) Deon Anthony
7) Brandon Silvers

Carrying at least five or six scholarships on QB is pretty extreme.

dgoebel
01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Is Pantastico still with the program ?

1) Corey Robinson
2) Luke Barnes
3) Dallas Tidwell
4) Liam Miller
5) KD Edenfield
6) Deon Anthony
7) Brandon Silvers

Carrying at least five or six scholarships on QB is pretty extreme.

It is unusual. What I have seen is that if your QB can't run, this offense gets hard to run. That is why I think they signed Deon Anthony and are signing Silvers, they need an athletic QB who can add another dimension and take away from having to have a dominant RB to carry the ground game. Look at ULL, WKU, and ASU this year and you see what a QB who can run does.

Hemi Man
01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
It is unusual. What I have seen is that if your QB can't run, this offense gets hard to run. That is why I think they signed Deon Anthony and are signing Silvers, they need an athletic QB who can add another dimension and take away from having to have a dominant RB to carry the ground game. Look at ULL, WKU, and ASU this year and you see what a QB who can run does.

Yep this guy tore it up on the read option!!!
CtffCjbDerU

I do think we need that change of pace guy like Jamie and Dan provided in the past.