PDA

View Full Version : 2012 TROY Commit Lists

trojanbrutha
11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
So far, these are the lists that seem to be current:

Dothan Eagle TROY (http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2011/07/2012-troy-commit-list.html)
TROY 247 Sports (http://troy.247sports.com/Recruit/Commits)
ESPN TROY (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/2653/troy-trojans)

Not so much...

Rivals TROY Report (http://rivals.yahoo.com/troy/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/troy-222)
Scout TroyInsider (http://troy.scout.com/a.z?s=363&p=9&c=8&yr=2012)

TROY recruiting usually picks around late January with the usual surprise guys on Signing Day. All is not lost...

trojanbrutha
12-27-2011, 11:28 AM
have reached 13 hs and 10 jucos...3 grayshirts :bounce012:

2011 GRAYSHIRTS or NON-JUCOS
Chris Davis (DB, Thomasville, Ala.)
Ryan Kay (K, Hampton, Ga.)
Lonnie Gosha (DL, Lake Butler, Fla.) - left Arkansas midway through last year

redwaver
12-27-2011, 01:38 PM
So far, these are the lists that seem to be current:

Dothan Eagle TROY (http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2011/07/2012-troy-commit-list.html)
TROY 247 Sports (http://troy.247sports.com/Recruit/Commits)
ESPN TROY (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/2653/troy-trojans)

Not so much...

Rivals TROY Report (http://rivals.yahoo.com/troy/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/troy-222)
Scout TroyInsider (http://troy.scout.com/a.z?s=363&p=9&c=8&yr=2012)

TROY recruiting usually picks around late January with the usual surprise guys on Signing Day. All is not lost...
You never know, but if we can get signatures on all these guys plus a few more, you have to think LB and staff did a pretty darn good job. At our level in D1 this is always a crap shoot.:eatdrink004:

trojanbrutha
12-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Messenger_Wes Wes Johnson
Troy signs nine in early period bit.ly/v0x21R (http://t.co/3wenWmDi) | Thanks to @dothaneagletroy for help with a couple of names!

dothaneagletroy Drew Champlin
Troy's updated commit/signee list, lots of new names on there, with google research help from @Messenger_Wes - dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2011/07/2012-tů (http://t.co/serehtdS)

The coaches have been putting in work...class is shaping up nicely...

trojanbrutha
12-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Martrez Townes

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/484959/martrez-townes

Hemi Man
12-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Messenger_Wes Wes Johnson
Troy signs nine in early period bit.ly/v0x21R (http://t.co/3wenWmDi) | Thanks to @dothaneagletroy for help with a couple of names!

Troy's updated commit/signee list, lots of new names on there, with google research help from @Messenger_Wes - dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2011/07/2012-tů (http://t.co/serehtdS)

Gosha may be the one to watch. I'm anxious to see him on the field. However, he may have to sit out a year.

trojanbrutha
12-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Gosha may be the one to watch. I'm anxious to see him on the field. However, he may have to sit out a year.

We'll see, but the fact that he's listed as a grayshirt is interesting...still haven't found why he left the team...some alluded to family stuff. I guess I'll wait to see who writes about it first...Drew or Wes :eatdrink004:

Hemi Man
12-27-2011, 09:29 PM
We'll see, but the fact that he's listed as a grayshirt is interesting...still haven't found why he left the team...some alluded to family stuff. I guess I'll wait to see who writes about it first...Drew or Wes :eatdrink004:

I saw something about a wife and a kid, but it was on a message board. And we all know how message boards go.

trojanbrutha
12-27-2011, 09:32 PM
I saw something about a wife and a kid, but it was on a message board. And we all know how message boards go.

Yeah...I'll go ahead and recant that last post...

Of the new names, one is a DT transfer from Arkansas in Lonnie Gosha, would have to sit out this year

trojanbrutha
12-27-2011, 09:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/78246/lonnie-gosha

ESPN 150 for the '11 class

Have at it Coach Crain!

Mr.E_205_Legion
12-27-2011, 10:21 PM

:signs009: I agree!

Just MAYBE this is why things have been quiet on the coaching situations. TOP PRIORITY from the end of the season through mid February SHOULD BE recruiting - IMHO.

dgoebel
12-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Is a pratically 50-50 split ratio of high school to juco signess this year normal? I just don't see other programs doing that. Correct me if I am wrong. I AM NOT ANTI-JUCO, I am excited about the QB we signed and the LB's. It just seems to me that 11 juco signees are going to hurt getting high school recruits down the road. Will a high school recruit be willing to sign if he thinks he will be replaced by a juco transfer? That is my concern. If they can all step in and contribute, great!!! But if we have 35 plus juco transfers on roster, does that deter high school recruits from signing??? Just curious.

trojanbrutha
12-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Is a pratically 50-50 split ratio of high school to juco signess this year normal? I just don't see other programs doing that. Correct me if I am wrong. I AM NOT ANTI-JUCO, I am excited about the QB we signed and the LB's. It just seems to me that 11 juco signees are going to hurt getting high school recruits down the road. Will a high school recruit be willing to sign if he thinks he will be replaced by a juco transfer? That is my concern. If they can all step in and contribute, great!!! But if we have 35 plus juco transfers on roster, does that deter high school recruits from signing??? Just curious.

Most of those guys have 3 yrs...not just 2...

dgoebel
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I did see that. My question was on the ratio of signees though. It does help when the guys with 3 years left play right away like #94 and #70 did.

Troy87
12-28-2011, 01:46 PM
I did see that. My question was on the ratio of signees though. It does help when the guys with 3 years left play right away like #94 and #70 did.

This is just my opinion, but I do think a number of the JUCO players coming in will be playing immediately, and primarily because they will be taking positions that players from the last two seasons were not capable or disciplined enough to play.

In other words, I think we are recruiting better players this year to fill positions that are/were occupied by sub-par players. If we don't currently have adequate personnel prepared to step into a position, I think we're filling the spots with players that are ready, while we also get some HS recruits ready.

dgoebel
12-28-2011, 02:12 PM
I really hope you are right, because some of those same players you mentioned were brought in to do the same thing. This group on paper at least looks like they can play.

trojanbrutha
12-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Just like with other recruits of the past, we'll just have to wait and see...

dgoebel
12-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Yes, it is a gamble. Look at all the sure things in the NFL...Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Tony Mandarich, Akili Smith and so on :confused-smiley-004

Here is to hoping for a great group and to a great 2012 :eatdrink004:

On a side note question. How does the early enroll high school athlete work like Zac Johnson did and Shaq Beverly is planning to do. School starts in Jan. but Signing day is in Feb, how does that work??

trojanbrutha
12-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Yes, it is a gamble. Look at all the sure things in the NFL...Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Tony Mandarich, Akili Smith and so on :confused-smiley-004

Here is to hoping for a great group and to a great 2012 :eatdrink004:

On a side note question. How does the early enroll high school athlete work like Zac Johnson did and Shaq Beverly is planning to do. School starts in Jan. but Signing day is in Feb, how does that work??

http://ncaa.biz/wps/wcm/connect/8a7042004fa9a5ecbbd5bba64056112c/Division+I+Early+Academic+Qualifier+Transcript+Sub mission+Process.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=8a7042004fa9a5ecbbd5bba64056112c

Lego
12-28-2011, 10:24 PM
This is just my opinion, but I do think a number of the JUCO players coming in will be playing immediately, and primarily because they will be taking positions that players from the last two seasons were not capable or disciplined enough to play.

In other words, I think we are recruiting better players this year to fill positions that are/were occupied by sub-par players. If we don't currently have adequate personnel prepared to step into a position, I think we're filling the spots with players that are ready, while we also get some HS recruits ready.

Also, a little bit of desperation from the coaching staff. (so many misses the last three years and even LB feeling some heat) the Win now mentality. Just a little bit.

trojanbrutha
12-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Also, a little bit of desperation from the coaching staff. (so many misses the last three years and even LB feeling some heat) the Win now mentality. Just a little bit.

Pretty sure there is a measure of desperation every year with recruiting because of circumstances...

Lego
12-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Pretty sure there is a measure of desperation every year with recruiting because of circumstances...

True, True. A little extra this year for Troy's coaches.

Troy87
12-29-2011, 08:06 AM
One of the other things I see in this recruiting class so far is that there are players being recruited (HS & JUCO) that will be coming in and pressing for playing time immediately in positions where we currently have some of the biggest egos.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those egos on the bench next year.

trojanbrutha
12-29-2011, 08:24 AM
One of the other things I see in this recruiting class so far is that there are players being recruited (HS & JUCO) that will be coming in and pressing for playing time immediately in positions where we currently have some of the biggest egos.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those egos on the bench next year.

I would consider that a reality check...but, I also see some much bigger LBs than we've had in a while.

Hemi Man
12-29-2011, 08:58 AM
I would consider that a reality check...but, I also see some much bigger LBs than we've had in a while.

I think that might have something to do with the change in scheme that was made before the 2011 season. Hopefully getting the right players in place to fit the scheme.

dgoebel
12-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Bigger and faster :thumb: Since Bear and Boris we have been undersized there for sure and not very physical (Kanoris being the exception). Big, fast, physical LB's sure help. They need to be the leading tackler, not our safety.

tenaciousT
12-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Big, fast, physical LB's sure help. They need to be the leading tackler, not our safety.

I think the linebackers not having as many tackles has more to do with our D-Line either being undersized or just not taking on the blocks from the O-Linemen to free up the LBs to make more tackles.

But getting bigger/stronger/faster in the LB core is deffinately not a be thing!

TexasTrojan
12-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I think the linebackers not having as many tackles has more to do with our D-Line either being undersized or just not taking on the blocks from the O-Linemen to free up the LBs to make more tackles.

But getting bigger/stronger/faster in the LB core is deffinately not a be thing!

Im liking Antonio Garcia as a RDE 6'7" 250lbs. I know he is listed as an OL but put him at the other end of Massaquoi. TWO BIG OLE BOOKENDS

Garcia played both sides of the ball in HS DE and OLB on Defense

Defensive Info & Statistics

Stat Season Career
Tackles 81
Sacks 28
Forced Fumbles 4
Interceptions 2
Longest Interception 64
Passes Blocked 6
Punts Blocked 3
Touchdowns 2

dgoebel
12-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Im liking Antonio Garcia as a RDE 6'7" 250lbs. I know he is listed as an OL but put him at the other end of Massaquoi. TWO BIG OLE BOOKENDS

Garcia played both sides of the ball in HS DE and OLB on Defense

Defensive Info & Statistics

Stat Season Career
Tackles 81
Sacks 28
Forced Fumbles 4
Interceptions 2
Longest Interception 64
Passes Blocked 6
Punts Blocked 3
Touchdowns 2

That could be a possibility if his speed and quickness are good. He could be a 2-3 year project on the OL because he needs to add size and strength. If he is quick he could play earlier on the D side of the ball. Always a good thing when you have options like that.

dgoebel
12-29-2011, 11:55 AM

That was a problem for sure. We were undersized on the interior line for sure and it made it difficult to get pass rush from inside and we got hamered on the run there. Hopefully this gets corrected.

Lego
12-29-2011, 12:33 PM
No doubt. Recruiting size in the interior has been a huge issue. Have been getting pushed around alot lately

TexasTrojan
12-29-2011, 12:45 PM
That could be a possibility if his speed and quickness are good. He could be a 2-3 year project on the OL because he needs to add size and strength. If he is quick he could play earlier on the D side of the ball. Always a good thing when you have options like that.

I think his speed and quickness is reflected in some of his stats. The 28 sack, 3 blocked punts, 64 yrd inteception return, 6 blocked passes. Cant find it again but I think I read somewhere he had 4.5 speed, with 4.5 speed and a 6'7" frame I would say with Massaquoi on one side and him on the other "WATCH OUT SBC QBS

dgoebel
12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I think his speed and quickness is reflected in some of his stats. The 28 sack, 3 blocked punts, 64 yrd inteception return, 6 blocked passes. Cant find it again but I think I read somewhere he had 4.5 speed, with 4.5 speed and a 6'7" frame I would say with Massaquoi on one side and him on the other "WATCH OUT SBC QBS

Man, I hope your stats are correct. If he does indeed run a 4.5 then he better DANG sure be put on the D side and get a shot to play early.

TexasTrojan
01-04-2012, 10:20 AM

I really dont think the LBs were the problem. The main problem was the fact that our backs played 5+ yards off the recievers and why run it up the middle when Troy backs are giving you 10 yards freebies on the outside. Hated it when the little 2 yard passes to the sideline turned into 60 yard TDs. The DBs need to be in the face of the recievers and maybe give the Dline time to get to the QB. Its the main reason I have issues with JR as DC

trojanbrutha
01-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I really dont think the LBs were the problem. The main problem was the fact that our backs played 5+ yards off the recievers and why run it up the middle when Troy backs are giving you 10 yards freebies on the outside. Hated it when the little 2 yard passes to the sideline turned into 60 yard TDs. The DBs need to be in the face of the recievers and maybe give the Dline time to get to the QB. Its the main reason I have issues with JR as DC

We don't have the Leodis or Elbert-type corners to run press coverage on the corners...that's one of the reasons we run a tampa2 style DB scheme...with a more athletic nickel back. Better control at the point of attack will allow better performances from the defensive backfield...

tenaciousT
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM
We don't have the Leodis or Elbert-type corners to run press coverage on the corners...that's one of the reasons we run a tampa2 style DB scheme...with a more athletic nickel back. Better control at the point of attack will allow better performances from the defensive backfield...

I agree with that. And in a perfect world, it works. We just missed so many tackles after giving up the 2 yard pass! If we wouldve made the tackles, Tampa2 wouldve worked.

If you remember the last few years, we would do the same thing to teams, throw quick look passes, put a move on the weak corner and gain 6-7 yards per play. We just didn't have the explosive WR's to do it this year as we have in the past. Hopefully another year w/ Shaunassy + getting Chip Reeves back will solve that problem.

I have never had a problem w/ the schemes that Rowell was calling, but the execution plain sucked. It always seemed like we were in the right place, just couldn't execute. (I know, I know... recruiting= coaches fault, failure to scheme according to players= coaches fault...blah blah blah)

trojanbrutha
01-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I agree with that. And in a perfect world, it works. We just missed so many tackles after giving up the 2 yard pass! If we wouldve made the tackles, Tampa2 wouldve worked.

If you remember the last few years, we would do the same thing to teams, throw quick look passes, put a move on the weak corner and gain 6-7 yards per play. We just didn't have the explosive WR's to do it this year as we have in the past. Hopefully another year w/ Shaunassy + getting Chip Reeves back will solve that problem.

I have never had a problem w/ the schemes that Rowell was calling, but the execution plain sucked. It always seemed like we were in the right place, just couldn't execute.(I know, I know... recruiting= coaches fault, failure to scheme according to players= coaches fault...blah blah blah)

:laughing021:

Lego
01-04-2012, 12:21 PM
:laughing021:

Blame the kids. Smooth.

Pee Wee 26
01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Blame the kids. Smooth.

As a former player, sometimes it really is the kids fault.

Real world & behind scenes

Scheme, fundamentals, recruiting, preparation (some - see below) = coach

Preparation, execution = players

For public consumption (i.e. what is said in interviews, etc.)

Coaches take all blame for losses; give all credit to players for wins (just like Bear Bryant & other great coaches)

redwaver
01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Yep, that is on the coaches. Get them closer or get some that will....period! Oops, there we go being a "keyboard coach" though. That is the kind of thing any normal fan can see so that was why it was so darn tough to understand at the time. You just can stop the quick slant, quick hook, easy first downs.

Hemi Man
01-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Blame the kids. Smooth.

As a former player, sometimes it really is the kids fault.

Real world & behind scenes

Scheme, fundamentals, recruiting, preparation (some - see below) = coach

Preparation, execution = players

For public consumption (i.e. what is said in interviews, etc.)

Coaches take all blame for losses; give all credit to players for wins (just like Bear Bryant & other great coaches)

After a 3-9 season there is enough blame to go around for everyone involved. If players can make game changing plays then they are capable of making game changing mistakes. The same goes for coaches and play calling.

TexasTrojan
01-04-2012, 01:21 PM
After a 3-9 season there is enough blame to go around for everyone involved. If players can make game changing plays then they are capable of making game changing mistakes. The same goes for coaches and play calling.

Well some of the UAB mistakes can go on me . I should have had steak for lunch .... but at the last minute I changed to chicken. And the football gods DEMAND STEAK on Saturday.

My bad

Lego
01-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Guess I am just old school, that being a mentor/coach to 18-20 year old kids is to in fact take "responsibility" (fair or not) to make the kid a better person on and off the field. Not to say: because the kids didn't execute they are to blame to. Just my experience and thoughts.

Pee Wee 26
01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Well some of the UAB mistakes can go on me . I should have had steak for lunch .... but at the last minute I changed to chicken. And the football gods DEMAND STEAK on Saturday.

My bad

All games my fault... covered this already. Enterprise High sucked so bad we our coach resigned.

Troy 3-9.

All b/c I rooted for them.

Doesn't the world revolve around me??:rollinglaugh:

TexasTrojan
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
:rollinglaugh:
All games my fault... covered this already. Enterprise High sucked so bad we our coach resigned.

Troy 3-9.

All b/c I rooted for them.

Doesn't the world revolve around me??:rollinglaugh:

Pee Wee 26
01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Guess I am just old school, that being a mentor/coach to 18-20 year old kids is to in fact take "responsibility" (fair or not) to make the kid a better person on and off the field. Not to say: because the kids didn't execute they are to blame to. Just my experience and thoughts.

Not trying to start a fight... I guess I was saying that I agree with Hemi's comments above. At 3-9 it's a little bit of everyone. Learned that one the hard way back in the day.

CLB has a proven track record of righting ships. I trust he'll do it again.

TexasTrojan
01-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Not trying to start a fight... I guess I was saying that I agree with Hemi's comments above. At 3-9 it's a little bit of everyone. Learned that one the hard way back in the day.

CLB has a proven track record of righting ships. I trust he'll do it again.

CLB has also earned the right to make the decisons

Pee Wee 26
01-04-2012, 02:55 PM
clb has also earned the right to make the decisons

+1

trojanbrutha
01-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Blame the kids. Smooth.

How does this sound: "Fire Rowell, he sucks! We have the greatest players and he isn't doing jack squat with them!" :taunt003:

Better?

You do have a way of bringing "fire the DC" to a thread, don't you? A one-trick pony...:eatdrink004: