PDA

View Full Version : Stickers

TrojanWarrior418
11-26-2011, 07:05 PM
After watching college football today I've noticed the bass drums in other universities bands have their logos on them. Does anyone know who they can ask to see if we can get some "T" stickers and put them on our base drums? I think it would look great from the stands.

BDM88
11-28-2011, 11:19 PM
After watching college football today I've noticed the bass drums in other universities bands have their logos on them. Does anyone know who they can ask to see if we can get some "T" stickers and put them on our base drums? I think it would look great from the stands.

Awesome Idea. But wouldn't the SOTS Troy Logo be even better?

TrojanFanatic
11-29-2011, 02:13 AM
email Dr. Blackstock I think it's ablackstock@troy.edu but you can look him up in the directory on the troy.edu homepage. Or you can email Dr. Walker

redwaver
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Awesome Idea. But wouldn't the SOTS Troy Logo be even better?
Nope, they are a part of the Troy family and should have a standard logo for that type display. Seems like Troy has about 20. Can't we get just ONE! JMHO

JPSousa1898
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
The Alumni had a BIG say in the SOTS being more prominent than TROY on their logo. I remember several alumni (myself included) talking about this a few years ago. We didn't like that TROY was more prominent because we're the SOTS not the TROY SOTS. Personally, I like the current SOTS logo over its predecessor. It fits the SOTS.

As far as logos on Bass Drums, I know that some schools have them painted on the heads. That takes a lot of time and some money. Also, I am not 100% sure, but it may also change the sound the head makes when it is struck. However, Dr. Blackstock is the authority on all things percussion at Troy and I defer to him.

redwaver
01-05-2012, 11:53 PM
The Alumni had a BIG say in the SOTS being more prominent than TROY on their logo. I remember several alumni (myself included) talking about this a few years ago. We didn't like that TROY was more prominent because we're the SOTS not the TROY SOTS. Personally, I like the current SOTS logo over its predecessor. It fits the SOTS.

As far as logos on Bass Drums, I know that some schools have them painted on the heads. That takes a lot of time and some money. Also, I am not 100% sure, but it may also change the sound the head makes when it is struck. However, Dr. Blackstock is the authority on all things percussion at Troy and I defer to him.
Don't you think it would be more appropriate if folks know who WE are rather than who YOU (SOTS) are? You are my favorite band on earth and I have talked you up for years but you are TROY are you not? You are a BIG part just like the athletic teams but still you are TROY! JMHO!

troy4ever21
01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
John is right, we're not the TROY Marching Band, we're Troy University's Sound of the South. The current logo is great and should remain our logo. It says Troy University beneath it so we're not cutting "TROY" out of it...

Just be glad that you have an amazing marching band that has the honor of being the Sound of the South. :thumb:

TrojanEmpire
01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Don't you think it would be more appropriate if folks know who WE are rather than who YOU (SOTS) are? You are my favorite band on earth and I have talked you up for years but you are TROY are you not? You are a BIG part just like the athletic teams but still you are TROY! JMHO!

Rep points to you my good man!

JPSousa1898
01-08-2012, 03:44 PM

You know Redwaver, I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from and I can see why you would feel as you do. We ARE a part of the TROY family and a LARGE part of the tradition at TROY and we feel a total identity with the university and its athletics teams unlike some university bands. I don't think any SOTS past or present would disagree with me here.

However, you and I will part ways from here... our identity as the Sound of the South is to many who we are as a marching band rather than the Troy University Band. That distinction lies with our concert band program (The Symphony Band and Concert Bands) which is, in my opinion, becoming more distinguished and better every year thanks to our dedicated directors and music faculty. The logo, in many ways, reflects the identity of marching band rather than the whole band program. My last argument on this today is that, personally, I believe the logo that had Troy as prominent feature on it was as good looking as the current logo. Thankfully, the style of the logo is congruent with other athletics styles. Some college marching bands in this state, totally break from their university branding and choose to have their own. (No names mentioned.)

Again, Redwaver, I TOTALLY understand how you feel about the identity issue and the current logo does seem to insinuate something different, but with the congruency of the SOTS logo with the other athletics logos, I feel that it is complimentary and shows that we SOTS are a part of the Trojan family.

Regardless my friend, come game day, you'll see us yelling "So get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! LET'S WIN TODAY!" with the rest of the Trojan family despite the differences in branding and logos! :eatdrink004: