PDA

View Full Version : Osi

littlebittyschool
09-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Did anyone see Osi when they did the intros for the players at the Giants and Saints game tonight? You know, the one's where they put their picture up and they say their name and the college or university they went to? Instead of saying Troy or even Troy State, Osi said Nigeria, Africa or something like that. What's up with that? Know acknowledgement at all? I did notice several of them say their high schools and I think Joe Horn even said "Canadian Football League" but almost all of them said one university or another. One guy was even from Western IL, and said that with pride. I hope Demarcus says Troy when they introduce him.

Shame on you Osi!

Sarahbelle
09-19-2005, 07:05 PM
I noticed that too.

CattouseFan
09-19-2005, 07:11 PM
I also noticed this. I think that DeMarcus will say Troy University with pride tonight.

trojanforce
09-19-2005, 08:44 PM
If Nigeria Africa took him to the NFL I would give that country props but it was TROY U! That was Weak!!!!!!!

trojanforce

troy4ever
09-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Demarcus said Troy University

goe1975
09-19-2005, 10:31 PM
I noticed Al Michaels has mentioned Troy a couple of times tonight also. It still seems strange to hear that, but it is very cool.

sandlapper
09-20-2005, 07:33 AM
I think Osi needs to understand that he's putting himself in the category of all those malcontents who say their high school because they have some ax to grind with their college. Remember who started all that crap? It was that wide receiver from Free Shoes Univ. who got mad at Bowden and quit school like a baby because he didn't get his way. Don't ask me his name because he obviously hasn't lit up the sky with his brilliance. But if Osi thinks it's cool to ignore his college, someone needs to remind him who got him ready to be able to draw that big pro paycheck; sure wasn't that fine Nigerian upbringing he had.

TrojanFan2
09-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Osi surprized me. I thought better of him. Ware said Troy University. Madden spoke very highly of Ware on several times.

One thing that I've noticed when they announce their schools is the amount of players that come from the Southeast part of the US. The SEC is well represented but there are a lot of other schools in the Southeast that get mentioned (along with Notre Dame).

ksdtrojan
09-20-2005, 07:48 AM
To start with I wondered the same thing. Why didn't Osi give props to Troy? But as the game went on I thought about that. Here is a man from Nigeria obviously proud of his heritage and his homeland. My thoughts then turned to his patriotism for his country and how I would probably do the same for the USA. Just some thoughts to ponder.

TUFAN
09-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Heritage my A$$. Whether intended or not, Osi should know that is seen as a slap in the face. Talk faster say Troy and Nigeria - make us proud. Ware said it with pride.

Trojan1998
09-20-2005, 08:43 AM
I was a little ticked at Osi for not saying Troy, but he did play one heck of a game against New Orleans.

DeMarcus did say "Troy University" very clearly and with pride. D-Ware, however, didn't have a very good game and boy did the Cowboys tank it last night. When D-Ware rushes the pasher, he comes too far from the outside and gets taken out of most pass plays; instead he needs to take a more direct path and he'd get a lot more pressure on the quarterback and pick up more sacks. Hopefully, this will change soon.

D1Trojan4U
09-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Two thoughts....First, none of us know exactly what Osi did or did not say or how it may have been edited for the TV intros- let us not be so quick to cast shame upon him in hasty frustration.

Second, I think Demarcus has a pretty good idea of what he's doing- and he was matched up against one of the better Olinemen in the league last night in Chris Samuels. I dare say a tough guy to take a "more direct path" through. What should he do, crawl through the five hole? :roll: Possibly he is not quite as worried about picking up sacks as playing his part in the overall system, which might have been getting peripheral pressure to force the not so mobile Brunell up in the pocket. But I'm sure you being an outstanding Dcoordinator yourself- you'd know.

Trojan1998
09-20-2005, 11:09 AM
I think that D-Ware is going to be outstanding. Last night his rushes came from too far outside and he never got very much pressure on Brunnell.

I do know a little about defense because my dad is a high school football coach and defensive coordinator, and as a result, I have grown up paying very close attention to how defense is taught - so your silly jab at me is actually somewhat accurate.

TrojanWar
09-20-2005, 11:23 AM
D1 thrives on taking jabs. Have you learned nothing from this site?

Trojan1998
09-20-2005, 11:34 AM
That's right - I believe that I got D1 confused with Whiner.

TrojanEmpire
09-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Is it really that big a deal what school (college or high) an nfl player says he is from? I am personally watching the game for the game. If the guy is from my college, then the odds are I will already know that. Those in the know, Player personnel directors and coaches, know where these players are from and know where the talent is. Ultimately that is where a school gets a reputation for producing nfl players.

TU_FANatic
09-20-2005, 12:26 PM
I find it odd that people on this board bash and bash the football team/program, some to the point of wishing to move back to 1-AA; while in the same breath attack a former player for not mentioning our "beloved" school during player intros -- a time when most of us are still collecting our chips and dip mind you. Osi is proud of many things his parents, his country and his school top his list. He has often said how proud he was to come from Troy, a school that gave him a chance when he had little to no experience playing football (see itís not always a mistake to take a risk in recruiting). Yet every body wants to jump him because he didn't mention Troy, while you, yourselves bash the school at a moments notice. O.K. we lost a couple of games now you all want to club the coaches to death, yet when one of our own doesnít mention his alma matter ďand show his prideĒ & we want to bash him as well. What is the pride in constantly knocking our team? No matter what he said in the intros, donít take for granted the huge value he AND D-Ware contributed to our program both while here and now in the NFL. The play of these two requires that announcers mention our school often and loudly. This is what should have been taken from these games yesterday (as well as the incredible efforts to donate relief to the devastated city of New Orleans), NOT the .37sec non-mention of our school by a former player in an intro that will only be shown once during the game. Trust me nobody remembers the schools that these guys mention in player intros other that fans of each particular school itís a gimmick the producers use to create interest based on college bragging rights. To prove the point we all recall the many ďshout-outsĒ for Troy by Madden & Michaels during both games but who remembered the Saintís starting safety (Jay Bellamy) said he was from Rutgers in his intro? Iíll take Madden & Michaels over Rutgers any day. Take pride in what Osi is acomplishing in the league and don't dwell on things that only lasted for a moment (see the overall picture).
Iíll relieve myself from this soap box now; all Iím really trying to say is letís be a little more consistent in our criticisms, and preferably not always jump on the first negative we can find about our school in any give situation. Accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative GO TROY GO

GO TROJANS

TrojanWar
09-20-2005, 12:32 PM
I agree with everything you said except for the bit about bashing a coach after 2 losses. We have been ready to send Fleetwood packing for 3 years. Anyone can see that he is hurting this program.

BMarkey
09-20-2005, 12:35 PM
If you can't simply aknowledge your school in the intro, you are in denial about what got you to the NFL.

Poor choice, Osi.

D1Trojan4U
09-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Where is my magnet?

tsu59
09-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Where is my magnet?Sorry D1 but I'm LMAO. :lol: