PDA

View Full Version : 2012 ATH (WR/DB) Zach Camp likes Troy as favorite

plynch0604
11-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Yulee, FL WR/DB (**Ath-Rivals) Zach Camp recently visited MTSU and was interviewed by rivals.com's Chris Nee. Camp commented that Troy was still his favorite despite interest from MTSU, Western Kentucky, UMass, Ga. Southern, Georgia Tech and others. Camp is having a great senior season with 8 receiving TDs already and 5 ints on defense. I checked out this kid's video and he is a playmaker. He has made several great catches and is impressive as a KR and DB as well. IMHO he would make a great addition to the Trojans as possibly a slot receiver or safety/nickel back.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/troy/football/recruiting/player-Zach-Camp-127632

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/372592/zack-camp

Discophobia
11-18-2011, 10:14 PM
I think he would be our first player from Yulee, is that really the name of a city?

dgoebel
11-19-2011, 09:46 AM
I think he would be our first player from Yulee, is that really the name of a city?

Yool-Lee, yes that is the name of the city. It is up by Jacksonville. Great program and this is a good pick up if we get him.

plynch0604
11-20-2011, 12:34 AM
I just saw a post on another site that Camp visited Troy this weekend for the FAU game. Could be getting close to a decision. Not sure what we are recruiting him as.

plynch0604
12-11-2011, 10:10 AM
I just noticed on rivals.com that Camp has an official visit set for 1-27-12. Not sure which other schools are in the mix.

dgoebel
12-11-2011, 12:52 PM
This is the type player we need. Qualified, playmaker, character.

FoulPolePhenom
12-11-2011, 01:47 PM
This is the type player we need. Qualified, playmaker, character.

I'm just curious and not saying you're wrong, but how can you tell he has character from a rivals site? I hope he does, and hope those are the types we are recruiting.

dgoebel
12-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Just a hunch. I seen Yulee play and it is a very good, disciplined program. Could be wrong on character, but I don't think so. To me character is doing things right and it seems this kid has.

Hemi Man
12-11-2011, 02:37 PM
You can't judge a kid off of a recruiting site or from what you hear from people. That's why the coaches will speak with the kid, hid parents, coaches, and teachers to learn as much as possible about the kid on and off the field. And, then sometimes even the ones that seem to be problem free, sometimes have problems adjusting to college life and the freedom that goes with it. Sometimes the ones people lump into the thug category are far from it even if they have dreads and gold teeth. Bottom line is you can't judge a book by its cover. Its best to get to know them or at least talk to them before you judge. As for this kid I wish him the best whether he becomes a Trojan or not.

CHughes1102
12-11-2011, 02:49 PM
You can't judge a kid off of a recruiting site or from what you hear from people. That's why the coaches will speak with the kid, hid parents, coaches, and teachers to learn as much as possible about the kid on and off the field. And, then sometimes even the ones that seem to be problem free, sometimes have problems adjusting to college life and the freedom that goes with it. Sometimes the ones people lump into the thug category are far from it even if they have dreads and gold teeth. Bottom line is you can't judge a book by its cover. Its best to get to know them or at least talk to them before you judge. As for this kid I wish him the best whether he becomes a Trojan or not.

Agreed. Though the chance of a dude with dreads and gold teeth having a good character IS kinda slim hahaha.

Hemi Man
12-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Agreed. Though the chance of a dude with dreads and gold teeth having a good character IS kinda slim hahaha.
Making a decision about someone you don't know based on their appearance says more about the person making the statement than the person in question. Dreads, tattoos, gold teeth, and close have nothing to do with the person.

dgoebel
12-11-2011, 04:10 PM

I agree with that. The NFL does a lot of that looking at possible draft picks. I just question how much we have done of it the last 2-3 years?? It seems we have made a few bad choices on some recruits. Hopefully character is a trait we are looking at hard this year. Give me a recruit with a little less talent but a boat load of character over a Jarboe any day.

redwaver
12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Making a decision about someone you don't know based on their appearance says more about the person making the statement than the person in question. Dreads, tattoos, gold teeth, and close have nothing to do with the person.
Hemi, I don't know your occupation but lets say you own a business. Are you telling me if two potential candidates came in to interview with you for a job in your office, one had dreads, gold teeth and tatoos and the other was well dressed and well groomed you would not have any initial thoughts about character, etc. just based on experiences in society? If this is the case, we are wasting a lot of money training students how to groom, dress and act when applying for jobs. Oh, a scholarship IS a job. Are there exceptions? You bet, like Bear and DeJuan. But there are far more like the player LB tried to help that wound up at Ark. St. It is just a natural reaction based on life experiences. Hopefully the staff will look deep enough to know the difference. Hopefully, because, like dGoebel, I don't think we can continue to waste commitments on kids that haven't gotten their acts together.

trojanbrutha
12-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Hemi, I don't know your occupation but lets say you own a business. Are you telling me if two potential candidates came in to interview with you for a job in your office, one had dreads, gold teeth and tatoos and the other was well dressed and well groomed you would not have any initial thoughts about character, etc. just based on experiences in society? If this is the case, we are wasting a lot of money training students how to groom, dress and act when applying for jobs. Oh, a scholarship IS a job. Are there exceptions? You bet, like Bear and DeJuan. But there are far more like the player LB tried to help that wound up at Ark. St. It is just a natural reaction based on life experiences. Hopefully the staff will look deep enough to know the difference. Hopefully, because, like dGoebel, I don't think we can continue to waste commitments on kids that haven't gotten their acts together.

So, if Bear or DuJuan walked into your office, you don't know them as such, do you hire them? Chances are no...because you live by a stereotype...This is the 21st century and you can't judge all by one.

redwaver
12-11-2011, 09:53 PM
So, if Bear or DuJuan walked into your office, you don't know them as such, do you hire them? Chances are no...because you live by a stereotype...This is the 21st century and you can't judge all by one.
What I am saying is if ANY person walked into my facility with dreads, tatoos, gold teeth and piercings I would have serious concerns about them on first impression and I probably would not hire them unless I was privy to information about them that I normally wouldn't otherwise know. Now call that whatever you want. It is simply the result of life experiences. Are life experiences always fair? Nope, but that's life. There are still major athletic programs that does not allow those things, ("gold teeth" excepted) such as the Miami Marlins and I believe the Yankees, numerous colleges and a lot of HS. It does not mean a person with these identifying items cannot be a great person, they can, but they do put themselves at a disadvantage by having them in the business world and in many athletic programs. Life is not always fair but avoiding the obvious is not either.

trojanbrutha
12-11-2011, 10:24 PM
What I am saying is if ANY person walked into my facility with dreads, tatoos, gold teeth and piercings I would have serious concerns about them on first impression and I probably would not hire them unless I was privy to information about them that I normally wouldn't otherwise know. Now call that whatever you want. It is simply the result of life experiences. Are life experiences always fair? Nope, but that's life. There are still major athletic programs that does not allow those things, ("gold teeth" excepted) such as the Miami Marlins and I believe the Yankees, numerous colleges and a lot of HS. It does not mean a person with these identifying items cannot be a great person, they can, but they do put themselves at a disadvantage by having them in the business world and in many athletic programs. Life is not always fair but avoiding the obvious is not either.

I'm pretty perceptive, in my own right, and I understand your perspective. At the same time, you have a narrow-minded view that's shared by many...braids, gold teeth, etc. don't always equate to a "thug" or shiftless, or good-for-nothing. These are young men that have been chosen to represent the team and school on the playing field...give them that respect.

Burn the Horse
12-11-2011, 10:35 PM
it's not prejudice to judge someone on their appearence, it's common sense. It's prejudice to judge someone for their race, creed, or sexual orientation. things you can help are fair game, things you can't are not.

I'm a huge CJ2K fan, but the guy looks like a thug, plain a simple. Would I hand him the ball in a football game? yes. would I hire him to sell insurance? no.

it's a sad reality, but it IS reality. your appearence is what people see, and that is truth. who you are on the inside doesn't have to be the same as the outside appearence you present, but the way you look is the paint job you put on the car.

don't judge someone for judging someone based on their appearence, that's just judgemental. :laughing021:

redwaver
12-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm pretty perceptive, in my own right, and I understand your perspective. At the same time, you have a narrow-minded view that's shared by many...braids, gold teeth, etc. don't always equate to a "thug" or shiftless, or good-for-nothing. These are young men that have been chosen to represent the team and school on the playing field...give them that respect.
Nothing to do with respect. I respect Bear Woods as much as any athlete that has played for my Trojans. I simply said MOST folks are leary of people with these attributes. Gracious, is that news to anyone. Next time you and your family are in say New Orleans or Miami and are walking down one of their many dark streets and see people looking like this standing in a group, just be cool, don't dare let a bad thought enter your mind. Just walk right up to them and pass the time of day. All I am saying is that these identifying personal choices DO bring thoughts to MOST people because of life experiences and they usually are not positive thoughts. Maybe it is not fair but I'll bet it is reality to most people. It simply puts those individuals at a disadvantage they don't have to endure. Now that is the end of that. No point to be gained by batting it back and forth. I do appreciate your ability to overlook all those things and see everyone the same. That's a rare and envious quality. Nothing wrong with that. It is just my experience that many/most people simply don't see it that way. PEACE!

Hemi Man
12-12-2011, 07:49 AM
it's not prejudice to judge someone on their appearence, it's common sense. It's prejudice to judge someone for their race, creed, or sexual orientation. things you can help are fair game, things you can't are not.

I'm a huge CJ2K fan, but the guy looks like a thug, plain a simple. Would I hand him the ball in a football game? yes. would I hire him to sell insurance? no.

it's a sad reality, but it IS reality. your appearence is what people see, and that is truth. who you are on the inside doesn't have to be the same as the outside appearence you present, but the way you look is the paint job you put on the car.

don't judge someone for judging someone based on their appearence, that's just judgemental. :laughing021:

Modern Christians perceive Jesus as having long scraggly hair, unshaven, and not necessarily well kept. What if that modern idea is wrong and he is a black man with dreads? Would you judge him on that appearance and run the other way? Jeffery Damher and Ted Bundy were pretty clean cut white guys, but I wouldn't want my kids hanging around them. Jason Bruce and Sherrod Martin have dreads and tattoos, but they come and get my kids at basketball and softball games and play with them. It is wrong to judge someone on their appearance. If you do so and claim to be a Christian you are a hypocrite. No offense but we all deserve the right to not be judged without knowing us.

plynch0604
12-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Just a hunch. I seen Yulee play and it is a very good, disciplined program. Could be wrong on character, but I don't think so. To me character is doing things right and it seems this kid has.

You are most likely correct about Camp based on this video I found when I searched Google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pS8lZXCJw

redwaver
12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Modern Christians perceive Jesus as having long scraggly hair, unshaven, and not necessarily well kept. What if that modern idea is wrong and he is a black man with dreads? Would you judge him on that appearance and run the other way? Jeffery Damher and Ted Bundy were pretty clean cut white guys, but I wouldn't want my kids hanging around them. Jason Bruce and Sherrod Martin have dreads and tattoos, but they come and get my kids at basketball and softball games and play with them. It is wrong to judge someone on their appearance. If you do so and claim to be a Christian you are a hypocrite. No offense but we all deserve the right to not be judged without knowing us.
There YOU go getting into name calling which YOU said YOU never do. I simply stated what I believe is reality in our society about one's appearance and the perception of the general public. Maybe that is tough for you to understand. I didn't say you had to believe it nor accept it. If you are one who HONESTLY believes appearances are not an issue whoop ti do. For years everyone who knows anything about business, etc. has suggested to kids/others looking for jobs, etc. to take a look at their appearance. Now in my post I thought I said there are exceptions but I suppose you missed that as well. It is a perception whether you can figure it out or not....like a lousy defensive plan!!! I think times have changed a teeny weeny bit since Christ was on the earth, don't you. I think everyone in his day had long hair so maybe THEY thought short hair, no ear rings or no tatoos were the people to worry about and if that was their perception, so be it. It is called REALITY which YOU have a problem with. I have never called you names or said negative things about you. I even commented that I respected your commitment to Rowell. Now you call me a hypocrite. Don't ever post again that you don't call people names. FACT!

Hemi Man
12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
There YOU go getting into name calling which YOU said YOU never do. I simply stated what I believe is reality in our society about one's appearance and the perception of the general public. Maybe that is tough for you to understand. I didn't say you had to believe it nor accept it. If you are one who HONESTLY believes appearances are not an issue whoop ti do. For years everyone who knows anything about business, etc. has suggested to kids/others looking for jobs, etc. to take a look at their appearance. Now in my post I thought I said there are exceptions but I suppose you missed that as well. It is a perception whether you can figure it out or not....like a lousy defensive plan!!! I think times have changed a teeny weeny bit since Christ was on the earth, don't you. I think everyone in his day had long hair so maybe THEY thought short hair, no ear rings or no tatoos were the people to worry about and if that was their perception, so be it. It is called REALITY which YOU have a problem with. I have never called you names or said negative things about you. I even commented that I respected your commitment to Rowell. Now you call me a hypocrite. Don't ever post again that you don't call people names. FACT!

I didn't call you anything. If you took it as personal that is up to you. You are right times have changed since Christ walked the earth, but that doesn't make his words any less relevant. I work for one of the largest and oldest companies in the United States. I work with people that have tattoos, and dreads. People are hired on their ability to do the job. Furthermore, we are talking about judging a 17 year old kid's character on his choice of fashion. Unless all students at Troy aren't allowed to have tattoos, earrings, or dreads, then the athletes should have the right to dress in a style of their choosing so long as it isn't showing nudity. No doubt there are jobs that appearance is important, but this discussion is about a 17 year old recruit. I guessing most of us over the age of 25 look back at how we dressed in our teen years and wonder what were we thinking. I know I do.

Burn the Horse
12-12-2011, 12:27 PM
however WE feel is irrelevant. in the business world, the people you hire must fit a mold, because not everyone is as open minded as you may be. you can't turn away potential customers for the sake of your principles. it's sad but it's the truth.

redwaver
12-12-2011, 01:01 PM
however WE feel is irrelevant. in the business world, the people you hire must fit a mold, because not everyone is as open minded as you may be. you can't turn away potential customers for the sake of your principles. it's sad but it's the truth.
Thank you!

Hemi Man
12-12-2011, 01:40 PM

The original topic was about judging a kids character from watching a video of him play. That's impossible unless your opinion of character on a 17 year old kid by his choice in clothes, music, and hair. I'm going to check with my supervisor today to make sure that me having a tattoo isn't grounds for my dismissal. Oh wait nevermind he has multiple tattoos, it must not b e that big of a deal. I deal with the public on average 50 hours a week and not once in over 11 years has my tattoo been a problem. I also know of two business that lose several thousand dollars a year iin sales because they refuse to sell alcohol. I don't agree with them, but their principals are more important to them than the almighty dollar.

Burn the Horse
12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
I have a tattoo as well, but mine is easily hidden.

I have no opinion on the original topic and I'm not going to get in to that. My posts have been centered around the discussion of outward physical appearence in the business world.

plynch0604
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
You are most likely correct about Camp based on this video I found when I searched Google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pS8lZXCJw

Getting back to the original discussion, check out this video. It is somewhat long, but it says alot about Camp's character (and his parents). It is a sort of "Blind Side" story.

dgoebel
12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I stated character because I figured he had it. I have seen Yulee play and it is a great, disciplined program. This kid has character and would be a great addition to the Troy family. I didn't mean to start a war on tatoos :confused-smiley-004

redwaver
12-12-2011, 05:01 PM
I stated character because I figured he had it. I have seen Yulee play and it is a great, disciplined program. This kid has character and would be a great addition to the Troy family. I didn't mean to start a war on tatoos :confused-smiley-004
Character is a terribly important commodity for an athlete to have. It comes in a lot of different "packages". Sometimes you can have all the talent in the world and fall on your face for lack of it. In a world where we are all judged, like it or not, we need as many kids of high character as we can get. Those kids will be with you through thick or thin, will usually do the right things when they are suppose to do them. That relates to life AND athletics. It would be good to have him. One big hip hip hurray for Yulee!

troyaluminmichigan
12-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Character - doing what is right, even when no one is looking

trojanbrutha
12-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Character - doing what is right, even when no one is looking

No matter how you look...

NWFLTrojan
02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know what happened with this kid? He visited last weekend but I don't see that he signed.

TSUfaninCALI
02-02-2012, 11:37 PM
On his scout and rivals profiles it does not show he committed any where

trojanbrutha
02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Possibility he could walk on here or somewhere else...

TSUfaninCALI
02-03-2012, 01:00 AM
he holds an offer from us so if wanted to play here he could be on Scholly

Hemi Man
02-03-2012, 05:27 AM
he holds an offer from us so if wanted to play here he could be on Scholly

I didn't think we had offered him. I could be wrong though.

Lego
02-03-2012, 07:03 AM
I could be wrong though.

Is this even possible Hemi ?

Hemi Man
02-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Is this even possible Hemi ?

Your efforts get weaker by the post.

Lego
02-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Your efforts get weaker by the post.

Is that a Maybe ? :bounce012:

“This is the guy behind the guy behind the guy.”

TSUfaninCALI
02-05-2012, 12:02 PM
according to both Rivals and Scouts.com he was holding an offer from us

Hemi Man
02-05-2012, 06:43 PM
according to both Rivals and Scouts.com he was holding an offer from us

I think they are wrong.

plynch0604
03-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Based on what I have found out recently, he was never officially offered a scholly, but was offered a preferred walk-on which is still a possibility. I watched several of the Jacksonville FL area Troy signees play this year, and this kid has the best leadership qualities and football IQ. He does not have the "measurables" that some others have, but made as many or more plays (Td's, INTS, tackles) as any of them while playing both ways. The others only played offense or defense. If you look at his combined offense and defense numbers over the past two years, he easily has been more productive. But as you all know in this age of combines and measurables that is often what wins out.

trojanbrutha
03-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Based on what I have found out recently, he was never officially offered a scholly, but was offered a preferred walk-on which is still a possibility. I watched several of the Jacksonville FL area Troy signees play this year, and this kid has the best leadership qualities and football IQ. He does not have the "measurables" that some others have, but made as many or more plays (Td's, INTS, tackles) as any of them while playing both ways. The others only played offense or defense. If you look at his combined offense and defense numbers over the past two years, he easily has been more productive. But as you all know in this age of combines and measurables that is often what wins out.

I agree with you on the measurables, but he did get the preferred walk-on invitation. It's a numbers game and the opportunity is there for him to come to TROY and help this team. Who knows, in the next year or two, he will have earned that scholly...I wish him the best! :thumb:

plynch0604
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Looks like Camp is going to end up as a Trojan according to my sources. He is planning to arrive on campus in the summer with the rest of the signees as a preferred walk-on. It will be interesting to see if he can earn that scholly over the next couple of years. IMO based on what I have seen, he shouldn't have a problem.