PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Shores QB commits to TROY

tenaciousT
11-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Gulf Shores quarterback Brandon Silvers commits to Troy

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/sports/2011/nov/16/gulf-shores-quarterback-brandon-silvers-commits-tr-ar-2714636/

Here is his rivals profile
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Brandon-Silvers-125187

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/BRANDONSHIVERS_150_6_20.JPG

Burn the Horse
11-16-2011, 11:19 PM
does anyone else think this guy looks like John Heder?

NWFLTrojan
11-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Here is ESPN's take on the young man.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/132552/brandon-silvers

"This guy may be the most under the radar QB prospect in this class considering his overall skill set and talent level and the fact that he has little to no interest in the spring. Silvers is big, athletic and shows a powerful arm and quick stroke."

Trojans1andAll
11-17-2011, 01:10 AM
I hope this young man doesn't get stolen by another school. I like the HS/JUCO ratio if that list of recruits is true.

dgoebel
11-17-2011, 11:16 AM
La Tech is recruiting him also which could be trouble. Tony Franklin can recruit and he can recruit QB's for sure. He looks impessive and he can run (4.6 40) could be the dual threat QB we are needing/

What I like is he is a Troy guy. His Uncle was Corey Christansen. Sound like a great pick up for us. His uncle was a winner for sure and I hope he follows in his footsteps.

Pcbtrojan
11-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Great addition, looks like another QB wearing #11. The last one has a great looking ring!

Trojans1andAll
11-18-2011, 07:16 AM
He mentioned Troy wasn't offering quarterbacks. I thought we were thin on QB's. So will he be red-shirted or will he put a little heat on Corey?

dgoebel
11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
If he enrolls early he could have a chance to compete. I think every one's job should be on the line this spring. Best player plays, regardless of class rank. If Barnes, Tidwell or this kid plays better the job should be given to them. 2-7 right now you have to look for where and how to improve next season. I am still hoping for some high school DL commits, that is what we are lacking.

Discophobia
11-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Very good pickup. I have seen this kid play and he is a winner. A QB with size and a dual threat. Carey was a winner he was in TROY and if I remember correctly I think he maybe broke his leg and that opened the door for Mike Turk, could be wrong, long time ago. Yes, this kid does look like Napolean Dynamite, but lets just hope he doesnt throw like Uncle Rico!

GoTroyGo1
11-19-2011, 06:17 PM
This kid looks like a real good pickup for us. We need to recruit some offensive linemen to help him out. If he beats out CR for the job so be it. I could see him being part of a really a good QB/WR combo with Thomas in the future. Great job by the staff in getting him to come to Troy, we are FINALLY learning to cut back on the JUCOs.:thumb:

dgoebel
11-19-2011, 08:49 PM
This kid looks like a real good pickup for us. We need to recruit some offensive linemen to help him out. If he beats out CR for the job so be it. I could see him being part of a really a good QB/WR combo with Thomas in the future. Great job by the staff in getting him to come to Troy, we are FINALLY learning to cut back on the JUCOs.:thumb:

:thumb:

trojanbrutha
11-19-2011, 08:56 PM
That won't happen with Luke Barnes and Dallas Tidwell in front of him.

dgoebel
11-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Well if he performs better he has a shot. I would rather play a freshman who performs than a Junior with game experience. Spring has to be open competition with everyones job on the line. I have said many times, would we have known how good Levi was if Jamie and Tanner hadn't got hurt. That is what is bad about this season. With needing to redshirt Barnes and Tidwell we don't know what they can do in a game. Maybe this kid or Banes or Tidwell really perform in a game. Curious to see how this Spring goes and I am really looking forward to the T-Day game this year.

Troy79
11-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Well if he performs better he has a shot. I would rather play a freshman who performs than a Junior with game experience. Spring has to be open competition with everyones job on the line. I have said many times, would we have known how good Levi was if Jamie and Tanner hadn't got hurt. That is what is bad about this season. With needing to redshirt Barnes and Tidwell we don't know what they can do in a game. Maybe this kid or Banes or Tidwell really perform in a game. Curious to see how this Spring goes and I am really looking forward to the T-Day game this year.

I am with you DGOEBEL, the spring game should really be interesting. The most entertaining Spring Game of recent memory was the one played in March of 2006 when we saw Omar for the first time and the new spread offense. I am hopeful that we will see a few new wrinkles displayed for the first time next March that will help propel us into the 2012 season.
Go TROY!

dgoebel
11-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Absolutely. The thing is, this team didn't perform so everyone is open to geting beat out and that includes CR. If one of these other QB's can bring a deminsion we don't have, they 100% deserve a shot. 3-9, enough said.

TrojanEmpire
11-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Absolutely. The thing is, this team didn't perform so everyone is open to geting beat out and that includes CR. If one of these other QB's can bring a deminsion we don't have, they 100% deserve a shot. 3-9, enough said.

That reminds me of a Branch Rickey Quotes from back in the day when Ralph Kiner was asking for a raise after Kiner had won the NL HR title: "We finished last with you and we can finish last without you."

trojanbrutha
11-27-2011, 02:18 PM

Again, there seems to be a disconnect between what I'm trying to say and what you hear. You are not going to get a freshman QB to come in and beat out a QB that's been in the system for a year or so. They want experience and it drives the bus in this offense. I would hate to think that they aren't recruiting talent at the QB position. So, with that being said, I'm sure the coaches will go with the best QB.

dgoebel
11-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Again, there seems to be a disconnect between what I'm trying to say and what you hear. You are not going to get a freshman QB to come in and beat out a QB that's been in the system for a year or so. They want experience and it drives the bus in this offense. I would hate to think that they aren't recruiting talent at the QB position. So, with that being said, I'm sure the coaches will go with the best QB.

I understand what you are saying but the fact is it has happened a lot with a true freshman QB. I mean we had it with Brock Nutter. Utah State almost beat Auburn with a true freshman QB, Florida has played a true freshman QB this year, Ohio State has, Michigan has. It can be done. Just beacause a QB has been in the system doesn't matter. CR is 3-9 this year, how are we going to know if we have another Levi if they don't get a shot. And Levi was 3rd string in 2008 until injuries forced him to play. And after he played there was no doubt he was the best all along. I just want to see competition and the BEST man get the job, regardless of whether he started before.

trojanbrutha
11-27-2011, 03:36 PM
I understand what you are saying but the fact is it has happened a lot with a true freshman QB. I mean we had it with Brock Nutter. Utah State almost beat Auburn with a true freshman QB, Florida has played a true freshman QB this year, Ohio State has, Michigan has. It can be done. Just beacause a QB has been in the system doesn't matter. CR is 3-9 this year, how are we going to know if we have another Levi if they don't get a shot. And Levi was 3rd string in 2008 until injuries forced him to play. And after he played there was no doubt he was the best all along. I just want to see competition and the BEST man get the job, regardless of whether he started before.

You're preaching to the choir..I'm all for winning. The fact that those programs get the picks-of-the-litter doesn't go unnoticed. TROY isn't going to get a QB coming out of HS that can do that, period. That is why they grayshirt/redshirt those kids to build them up and coach them up to be successful. This year CR and TROY, as a whole, had to overcome the loss of seniors and returning play-makers academics AND do the best they could. I question some penalties, but I don't question the resolve of the coaches or players. It's obvious they didn't get it done, but I don't have to repeat it ever 5 mins...I like the depth charts and the returning players we have. The experience from this season should be enough of a motivating factor to all concerned.

dgoebel
11-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Kind of off subject, but I think we are going to have to mix up the ofense. Go under center some and utlize those 2 big TE's we have, and if Montrel Carter gets healthy, we could have a Pro-Set RB we could use. The spread as we are running it isn't working. We need to re-evaluate some things for sure, run spread but mix in other formations to. Just a thought.

trojanbrutha
11-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Kind of off subject, but I think we are going to have to mix up the ofense. Go under center some and utlize those 2 big TE's we have, and if Montrel Carter gets healthy, we could have a Pro-Set RB we could use. The spread as we are running it isn't working. We need to re-evaluate some things for sure, run spread but mix in other formations to. Just a thought.

You have spread offense O linemen and spread offense personnel...you can't just change that for the sake of change. That would set us back 5-10 years. I want to buy into what you're selling, but you're starting to lose your cred with me as a former player. The offense has struggled and sputtered all season and it's still ranked in the top 20. Now, if some of the blocking gets better and the receivers get open more often, you've gotten yourself a better team...looking forward to that in 2012.

Burn the Horse
11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
The fact that those programs get the picks-of-the-litter doesn't go unnoticed. TROY isn't going to get a QB coming out of HS that can do that, period.

I've been trying to explain this to him for a while now, he doesn't get it. there's a reason we bring in JUCO players too, it's because we have to let our HS recruits sit and learn and mature before they are ready, unlike some of the true freshman teams like Florida and Ohio State get who are blue chip guys who are already good enough to step in and play.

we don't play in Division 2 anymore, this isn't the Gulf South Conference. FBS football is big boy ball. people are stronger, faster, and just plain better. It takes time to get the kids we bring in from highschool ready to play. while you do that, you have to let JUCO guys fill the hole or let guys we've had on the roster and in the system for a while compete.

Now if we DO get a kid who is just flat out ready to go then play him, but most of the time that is not the case for us.

dgoebel
11-27-2011, 08:11 PM
I understand all of that, but explain to me how WKU just whipped our tails with 1 or 2 juco on their roster? How did it work their but not here? I know they have aggressively recruited FL. They have signed several players from St. Augustine High which is coached by a Troy alum. Have we ever signed a player from there? S. FL they have gotten good players from. What is our excuse?

dgoebel
11-27-2011, 08:13 PM
You have spread offense O linemen and spread offense personnel...you can't just change that for the sake of change. That would set us back 5-10 years. I want to buy into what you're selling, but you're starting to lose your cred with me as a former player. The offense has struggled and sputtered all season and it's still ranked in the top 20. Now, if some of the blocking gets better and the receivers get open more often, you've gotten yourself a better team...looking forward to that in 2012.

I never said scrap the spread entirely, all I suggested was every now and again line up in a different formation. We have 2 6'5 TE that are going unused and we have a potential big back in Carter. 5-6 plays a game in a different set would not be hard to do. We have to score points. 300 yds passing and 12 points doesn't get it done. Maybe line up in a different set in the red zone or inside the 10. Just suggestions is all.

trojanbrutha
11-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I never said scrap the spread entirely, all I suggested was every now and again line up in a different formation. We have 2 6'5 TE that are going unused and we have a potential big back in Carter. 5-6 plays a game in a different set would not be hard to do. We have to score points. 300 yds passing and 12 points doesn't get it done. Maybe line up in a different set in the red zone or inside the 10. Just suggestions is all.

Yes, I'd like them to utilize the TEs in the passing game too, but you don't have to go under center for it...every pass that Teknipp caught was a 1st down...I just think it helps to have a few extra blockers when the line needs assistance keeping the QB upright...

Chrono124
11-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Can't believe this came out of gulf shores. I played at Foley and gulf shores was always filled with a bunch of cream puffs. He does have that girly gulf shores hair though. LOL