PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thoughts...

TUrocks
09-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Look, Fellas...I'm gonna be the ultimate optimist here and bash me if you will:

I'm not too disappointed today, for a few reasons,

1. We knew we had an offensive line shakup with an O-line that was already young in the first place and we scored 21 more offensive points than last week.

2. I don't think Meadows had that bad of a game today.

3. We all knew we needed to feel ourselves out this game. Was anybody expecting to win today seriously??

4. We had some bright spots. Catthouse. A little better production than last week out of Meadows.

5. The UAB and Missouri (and South Carolina) games don't count toward the Sunbelt. We improved a little this week--last week was a home game and this was on the road--if we keep improving little by little, we can be a little more optimistic for Sunbelt play. Remember, North Texas went like 0-4 last year before Sunbelt play began.

6. Missouri was at home in a revenge game after losing last week---of course they were going to thump us if they could. They still have Brad Smith and an offense that could put up points on anyone.

7. If I'd be concerned now, it would be a little more for the defensive side of the ball.

8. It looks like we are not the only ones in the Sunbelt having a hard time this year, so let's just hope we still improve little by little and maybe we can still make a run in the Sunbelt.

9. I almost forgot about the bad calls---I'm not one to dwell, but I think we had some good things going in the first half, and those calls were killing us and our momentum.

Go ahead and bash away!!! I just know that I feel a little better today than after the UAB game. At least we moved the ball somewhat today!!!!

BMarkey
09-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I just noticed on the Mizzou stats page that Troy had the ball in Tigers territory on seven of nine possessions.

Wasted field position.

Hampton had 87 yards on 10 catches.

Where was Whinghter? He ran at least once but doesn't even appear in the stats.

The Moose had 47 yards as our lead rusher. He looked good.

Dockery wasn't bad, but no better than Meadows. Meadows just had those horrible fumbles and over/underthrows.

We lost another offensive lineman (freshman was playing today) and need much more there.

Our defense obviously does not have the depth of previous years and it is killing us.

I've got to stop now before I go completely and permanently into depression.

Lowbrass
09-17-2005, 04:48 PM
I harp on the offense not doing there job and they didnt, but dang the defense, come on that is a ton of points.

kiwan
09-17-2005, 04:55 PM
boo smith is done for the year. i had penciled in this game as a loss before the season started, it was just a little uglier?

TrojanWar
09-17-2005, 04:56 PM
The bad news is we can't stop the run. The good news is we do ok against the pass. The better news is South Carolina could not run the ball on Headland High School. I might be way off and I still think our offense stinks (Mizzou defense is the pits this year), but we might have a shot against South Carolina. All be it a long shot, but I'm not counting us out already. A few breaks on the offensive side of the ball and shut down the passing game and we're in it. It will be a low scoring affair.

Notice I'm already over the Mizzou game. It went about as I expected so no reason to ponder it anymore.

TUrocks
09-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah. Did I hear the radio guys say they had over 300 yards rushing on us? Or did I hear that wrong? That's unbelievable!!! What's going on there???

btrojan
09-17-2005, 05:06 PM
at least when he pulled it and ran we had some excitment on offense

BMarkey
09-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Our defense gave up several key, long passes. That is a weak area as well, especially evidenced in the UAB game.

Big Time Football
09-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Don't know what to say. Mizzou is not that good of a team as noted by their loss last week. They will be beaten soundly by Texas and will post another losing season.

A bright spot or two here and there. I hate to throw in the hat so early in the year. Heard we have one of our QBs on the Scout team visiting one of the SEC Teams this weekend. He's fed up too.

Lord-Mustang
09-17-2005, 05:22 PM
TROY MU

FIRST DOWNS................... 21 28
Rushing..................... 6 12
Passing..................... 11 13
Penalty..................... 4 3
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 74 303
Rushing Attempts............ 30 49
Average Per Rush............ 2.5 6.2
Yards Gained Rushing........ 111 315
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 37 12
NET YARDS PASSING............. 260 211
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 22-42-0 26-37-0
Average Per Attempt......... 6.2 5.7
Average Per Completion...... 11.8 8.1
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 334 514
Total offense plays......... 72 86
Average Gain Per Play....... 4.6 6.0
Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 3-1 0-0
Penalties: Number-Yards....... 8-58 10-88
PUNTS-YARDS................... 9-334 5-194
Average Yards Per Punt...... 37.1 38.8
Net Yards Per Punt.......... 25.4 36.8
Inside 20................... 4 2
50+ Yards................... 1 0
Touchbacks.................. 0 0
Fair catch.................. 4 0
KICKOFFS-YARDS................ 4-222 10-621
Average Yards Per Kickoff... 55.5 62.1
Net Yards Per Kickoff....... 37.2 43.9
Touchbacks.................. 0 1
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD. 3-10-0 4-105-1
Average Per Return.......... 3.3 26.2
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 8-182-0 4-73-0
Average Per Return.......... 22.8 18.2
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD.. 0-0-0 0-0-0
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD. 0-0-0 0-0-0
Miscellaneous Yards........... 0 0
Possession Time............... 27:37 32:23
1st Quarter................. 6:05 8:55
2nd Quarter................. 5:26 9:34
3rd Quarter................. 10:48 4:12
4th Quarter................. 5:18 9:42
Third-Down Conversions........ 4 of 14 8 of 18
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 1 1 of 1
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 2-2 6-6
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 0-0 3-12
PAT Kicks..................... 3-3 5-5
Field Goals................... 0-1 3-3

CattouseFan
09-17-2005, 07:18 PM
I would say that this is not the end of the world. The offense did impress me alot more than the previous 2 games. I still think that Troy will challenge for the Sunbelt title this year.

nasupporter
09-17-2005, 07:33 PM
I think this team will continue to improve,,, however If they continue to get injuries and "get down on themselves" too much it will hurt their chances of recovering for the conference.
Next week could be bad if we don't have some positive things happen early in the game with SC. 'Saint Superior' will beat us as bad as possible for momentum and a confidence builder for his team.

mutiger91
09-17-2005, 07:59 PM
9. I almost forgot about the bad calls---I'm not one to dwell, but I think we had some good things going in the first half, and those calls were killing us and our momentum.

I was at the game and didn't see anything that was particularly bad. I would tell you if I did. Was there TV available for this in Troy?

Yeah. Did I hear the radio guys say they had over 300 yards rushing on us? Or did I hear that wrong? That's unbelievable!!! What's going on there???

Our average for the year prior to today's game was 280, so 303 is only 10% above that. You held us to 515 yards which is a lot less than we have been getting (585)

(Mizzou defense is the pits this year)

Amen, brother. I'm not sure what happened. We didn't graduate THAT many on D. I guess the pressure from the middle of our D-line played a major role in our defensive effectiveness last year. Your QB had all day to throw today. So did the NM QB. Add that to a large cushion on the receivers and the short stuff was open all day for you. Even when you went long, we needed heroics from the DB to break up the play.

TUrocks
09-17-2005, 09:20 PM
[quote]9. I almost forgot about the bad calls---I'm not one to dwell, but I think we had some good things going in the first half, and those calls were killing us and our momentum.

I was at the game and didn't see anything that was particularly bad. I would tell you if I did. Was there TV available for this in Troy? quote]

No, we were listening on the radio. Through the announcers, it sounded like there were some interference by Missouri defenders not being called, and also sounded like the refs were being really tight with our calls. But it was radio, so it's hard to tell--just have to wait and see on the coaches show.

mutiger91
09-17-2005, 09:42 PM
I can't say that I saw every single call. I was sitting in the S. end zone. Usually I have a few calls that I would complain about in almost any game. The only thing I remember seeing was a no-call of a late hit out of bounds by a Troy player. From where I sat, that one was obvious.

I'm not sure how there could be interference by MU. Our guys were seldom around when your receivers were catching the ball. :evil: There was a little contact on the first attempt at a long pass right before you completed one to set up your second TD. I wouldn't have called it, because the defender was turned facing the ball and could have actually come down with it.

Later in the 4th, an MU corner reached around the receiver in an attempt to make a play at the ball. It was a good no call. If a flag came out, it could have just as easily been offensive interference.

I will tell you this. Your football team is very well endowed. How do I know this? Because frequently when they had a good drive going, someone would trip over his "manhood" and end the drive. Missouri wasn't stopping you. It was silly mistakes. Penalties fall into that category. We had them too. We were off sides on the on-side kick. That cost a posession.

I think it is at least fair to say that officiating didn't change the outcome of the game.

Nice Trojan
09-17-2005, 10:24 PM
I still think that Troy will challenge for the Sunbelt title this year.

I'm not to positive about us challenging for the title this year. If we do it is a usual pathetic year for the Sunbelt. But then again, I have never been a big fan of the Sunbelt. It IS where we fit right now, but we will move up, and I want us in C-USA AFTER we win the Belt a few years in a row.

faithintsu
09-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Defense is banged up big time - Torey was not at full strength and with the loss of Luverene we are hurting right now to stop anything.

The offesive side of the ball improved slightly, but not near enough consistency as we need. Best improvement may be the offesive line, as they had no were to go but up.

We need to work all of these "kinks" out and get ready for SunBelt play, just as Larry Blakeney said in his post-game interview.

Also, can anyone else confirm a Radio Ad on the internet feed (as well as Radio, if it was there) for GoTroyTrojans.Com?

BMarkey
09-17-2005, 11:17 PM
I didn't hear the ad, Jeff. The again, the 'Netcast was its terrible on again-off again quality.

From what I've seen of Troy, FAU, FIU, La. Monroe and some others, we fit very well in the SunBelt this year. if we can beat North Texas (doubtful right now), we can still win it.

After just watching FAU get demolished, I can say I'm glad we're not facing Minnesota this year. Their RB is awesome.

TrojanWar
09-18-2005, 12:52 AM
North Texas got destroyed by Tulsa today. They stink as bad as the rest of the conference. There very well may be a D1AA conference in the country better than the Sun Belt this year. It's hard to deny that at this point.

BMarkey
09-18-2005, 01:59 AM
Then again, the SunBelt as a whole is probably playing its toughest schedule in history this year.

Navarre Trojan
09-18-2005, 08:06 AM
thanks to the Missouri fan who came in with his thoughts. I would like to know about the calls that were made when (Homer) Barry went on about that appeared to be uncatchable? He stated that LB was out on the field giving the refs an earfull. At the end of the first half he even told the sideline guy that he thought there were some calls that he questioned.

It sounded to me like the offensive line got lots of work last week and really played pretty well, all things considered. I am interested in seeing how they grade out. It also appears that all that work went for naught because the skill positions seemed to be way off, their timing that is. I don't know what we have to do to get Carl to throw the ball more accurately. I think he had time, guys open and just missed them. At least that is what I took out of the radio broadcast.

Defense: Sounded like we were getting caught in the misdirection a lot. We would have Smith boxed in and then his feet would get him out of trouble. Understand that this guy is a VERY GOOD athlete and can make plays. That is exactly what he did yesterday. Take back the long run and they below 250 yards in russing. Just didn't make the adjustments on the sidelines. It happens sometimes with co-defensive coordinators.

Watched the Alabama/South Carolina game, and I know I am being extremely optimistic, but we got a shot next week. South Carolina looked awful! Stevie ballgame could have thrown his visor 40 rows up in the stands and walked up there and picked it up. By the 4th quarter there was nobody left. Wow.

Let's go get some Gamecocks this weekend. Put this one behind us. Lastly, I agree with several, we do have a shot at the Sunbelt. N. Texas got "smoked" by the Golden Hurricanes. A team that just got beat by a horrible Oklahoma team.

Go Trojans - Let's get this train going in the right direction.

Nice Trojan
09-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Ok I renounce my statement from above that says we will not challenge for the Sunbelt this year. After seeing that UNT and the rest of the Belt has problems like we do, we should have as good of a shot as anyone else. 54-2 AT HOME. Man, that hurts like we did last week. If they have another bad offensive day, we might be able to beat UNT 7-0 on a defensive touchdown or something.

TrojanWar
09-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Then again, the SunBelt as a whole is probably playing its toughest schedule in history this year.

OK. One day everyone will have to stop making excuses. When the Sun Belt teams are losing to D1AA teams and getting stopped by cellar dwellars like Tulsa, it's hard to say anything other than the conference is terrible this year. As much as I hate to say it, ASU may be the best team in the conference right now. They played Mizzou better than us and had a chance to beat Oklahoma State this weekend. Yep, I'm sick to my stomach. Top all of this off with how bad my Hogs are this year and I have very little to be happy about. It looks like I might have to find some enjoyment in my NFL teams.

Nice Trojan
09-18-2005, 12:59 PM
It looks like I might have to find some enjoyment in my NFL teams.

I tried that last week after the UAB game. Only to see that my Jets got Trojanitis before the game and got blown out too.

BMarkey
09-18-2005, 01:02 PM
First, Okla. State is not a good team. I saw it close up. FAU, minus a couple of mistakes, would have beaten that team.

SunBelt teams are playing up this year. For example, La-Monroe at Georgia yesterday, FAU at Minn., Middle Tenn. at Bama, etc.

Yes, the league has problems, but I believe it has stepped up in scheduling.

Navarre Trojan
09-18-2005, 07:29 PM
I think teams are stepping up their schedules for a variety of reasons, obviously the number one is dollars. WE all know what it takes to compete at this level and if you don't have MAJOR donor support you have to get money the old fashion way, you have to earn it. That means money games at hostile places for big payoffs. I also think coaches believe (as do I to a certain extent) that these games prepares their team to compete. Our schedule is about to get much more competitive, we just have to hang in there. If we can get out of these first four games healthy, we have a real shot at playing in the Lafayette Bowl. That HAS TO BE our focus. If you look at the stats we put up against Missouri, a much better team this year, we played pretty well. We moved the ball, and as the Missouri fan stated, we "stepped on it" and stopped ourselves. Work these kinks out, practice hard to get better, grow up some (we are so young) and things will work out.

I am tired of the *****ing and moaning about the belt and whether we should or should not be there, etc. Several of us agree that whether we like it or not, it is probably the best place for us right now. We have to keep "earning it" every week and build our program.

This is a marathon not a sprint!

Who is going to Columbia this weekend? I am on the bus with Big Mike Amos and crew, I hope we have 7-800 folks attend. It should be a blast!

Go Trojans

TrojanWar
09-18-2005, 07:36 PM
I am tired of the <content> and moaning about the belt and whether we should or should not be there, etc. Several of us agree that whether we like it or not, it is probably the best place for us right now. We have to keep "earning it" every week and build our program.

AMen Navarre!

Navarre Trojan
09-18-2005, 07:44 PM
I heard Barry and the ad, sounded good. He gave out the website address and told everyone about the news and notes that are posted to keep everyone up to date. Just thought you might like to know.

Are you and the Mrs. going to South Carolina this weekend?

War, are you going?

Let's get a group of us, I know some folks in Columbia, I spent a year between 1999 and 2000, it is a GREAT PLACE to go to a football game. BTW, South Carolina was 0-20 when I payed $100 to watch Clemson close out Lou's 2nd season at 0-11!! I couldn't believe it, but it is a great venue..

Who's Going?

NWFL Trojan
09-18-2005, 08:07 PM
I am going to Columbia and I think we have a good chance of making a stong showing. Alabama abandoned their passing game because SC couldn't stop anything on the ground. Maybe Troy was resting Joel for the SC defense?
Are there plans for a tail gate area? I hope so. Based on what I am hearing there are a good number of students headed to the game as well.
Go Troy!

TrojanWar
09-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately the SC game is not one of my away games planned for this year. I'm going to one of if not both Louisiana schools. We are also going to Jonesboro for the ASU game.

nasupporter
09-18-2005, 08:28 PM
I am going to Columbia and I think we have a good chance of making a stong showing. Alabama abandoned their passing game because SC couldn't stop anything on the ground. Maybe Troy was resting Joel for the SC defense?
Are there plans for a tail gate area? I hope so. Based on what I am hearing there are a good number of students headed to the game as well.
Go Troy!
I wish the 'Sound of the South' was heading that way again this year. The Sound put the Carolina band away last year especially ater the game in the drum line face off,, or whatever they call it. We will not be making the trip this year but had a wonderful time last year. I still have a picture socializing with some USC students who all had empty beer cases on their head. We could, should, would have won if it were not for those SEC officials. RIP OFF in Columbia. We are planning on making the trip to Arkansas State in Jonesboro (not a bad trip from North Alabama). GO TROJANS !!!

TrojanWar
09-18-2005, 08:44 PM
We will have to meet up in Jonesboro nasupporter. I think littlebitty may still be going as well.

nasupporter
09-18-2005, 09:08 PM
We will have to meet up in Jonesboro nasupporter. I think littlebitty may still be going as well.
Unless plans change we will be leaving for Jonesboro Fri. a.m. the 11th and will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Phillips Drive. The SOTS is supposed to be going so hopefully we will have a big crowd at the game. I have a feeling that this game may be real important for all the conference marbels..(hopefully) GO TROJANS !!!

TrojanWar
09-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Maybe we can all meet at Couch's BBQ Friday night. They have the best fried chocolate pies!

TUTrojan
09-19-2005, 11:09 AM
The first thing that strikes me is how average our secondary looks without our defensive line from a year ago. A strong defensive front makes this unit. They limited time for open looks and they definitely were responsible for many of the turnovers we gained.
We are not getting much pressure there. Hopefully they can improve over the next two weeks.

Our receivers came to play this year. I have been critical of this unit in the past, but they are making great plays this year. They are catching most that they should, and some of the ones they shouldn't. They are also generating more interference situations. We actually have the leading receiver in the 'Belt so far in Smokey Hampton and Banks, Rutledge, and Allen and others have been getting the job done.

Meadows has the potential to be very good for us. When given time, he can go through his progression quickly and hit the open man. We have been lacking this over the last few years. He has also made more deep plays through three games than we have had over the last few years, maybe combined. Hopefully we can continue to protect him and see more improvement. I think we could see less balls thrown off target if he could feel a little more secure back there. I still think that we could implement more short passing plays and get our completion percentage up over 60%.

What happened to our running attack? Whingther looked good in his attempts over the first two games but saw little and less action during them... What is he doing wrong? Blocking problems? Why are we running less in general? Why can't we mix up our running plays more when we do try them?

Sean Dawkins has always impressed me no matter what he does... Why can't we use him more? ANybody remember how they used Griffith (now with Falcons) at MSU a few years back? Wish we could use him like that.

We do have a chance this weekend versus SC, but more importantly, hopefully we can build upon the positives and eliminate some more of the problems before going into UNT.

The Sunbelt is winnable this year if we can get a few glitches worked out. If you don't believe me, go to http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4100&ATCLID=189149 and check out the poor performances by teams like North Texas (120 yards of offense).