PDA

View Full Version : Larry calls for changes

Lego
11-06-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNPXnu_iauU

I believe this interview by Larry at halftime shows how far the Troy coaching staff has fallen.

We all support the Trojans.

Wow, I still cannot get over what he said on camera !
What I hear is: Our coaching staff stinks and we have quit, we have no leadership. I still can't believe it. Can't believe he said it on camera

TrojanEmpire
11-06-2011, 12:33 PM

I believe this interview by Larry at halftime shows how far the Troy coaching staff has fallen.

What I hear is: Our coaching staff stinks and we have quit, we have no leadership. I still can't believe it. Can't believe he said it on camera

I heard pretty much the same thing. He finally sounds like he is fed up as well.

CHughes1102
11-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Finally he sounds like he is sick and tired of the bs that is going on. Poor leadership, poor coaching, and an all around sucky ass season.

goe1975
11-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Finally he sounds like he is sick and tired of the bs that is going on. Poor leadership, poor coaching, and an all around sucky ass season.

But...nothing will change...get used to it...

CHughes1102
11-06-2011, 04:43 PM
But...nothing will change...get used to it...

Yes there will be a change............in the lack of fans that care to show up to watch the coaches destroy our team one game at a time.

dgoebel
11-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Not calling for anyone to be fired, but the AD and administration I'm sure are getting a earful for sure. The fans and alumni are the heartbeat of any program. They are the ones who give money, buy tickets and merchandise and support the school. I don' think Troy has the alumni leverage of say a Auburn, but I am curious to how much the adminisration listens to the fans and alumni? Anyone have any thoughts?

newnan trojan
11-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Like I said in another thread. There will be
Major changes made in the off season guys.

newnan trojan
11-06-2011, 07:25 PM
After listening to that you can tell Larry had some heated words with his coaching staff at halftime. There will be changes, just gotta wait till off season.

FYI not even KE will be safe this off season...

TFan
11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
..... I don' think Troy has the alumni leverage of say a Auburn, but I am curious to how much the adminisration listens to the fans and alumni? Anyone have any thoughts?

THE administration, IE Dr. Hawkins, runs things with input from the Board of Trustees, my guess is run-of-the-mill fans have little or no input. I doubt if even Trojan Warriors have much influence with the Board, other than incidental co-membership status.

The Board, thru Dr. Hawkins or just Hawkins apparently micro-manages most all decisions throughout the University.

BTW, the BOT travelled to the Navy Game with the team, probably a chilly ride home for all.

Trojan by Birth
11-06-2011, 08:36 PM
That interview sounds like a maneuver to save his job.

CHughes1102
11-06-2011, 08:41 PM

I was honestly thinking the same thing when I originally heard it.

TFan
11-06-2011, 09:05 PM

I thought it was just classic Larry Blakeney, no more, no less. WTH else you gonna say after a half like that??

Possum
11-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Offensive Coordinator

Trey Brown: Offensive Coordinator at Lehigh University, one of the best Spread offenses in FCS...

Rush Propst: The Hoover Great, ran the Spread offense to perfection and would DEMAND perfection...

Caleb Ross: Was at Prattville High School during the glory days, again would DEMAND Perfection

Omar Haugabook: Would love to see him back at Troy, I think he would do some good things at TROY

Defensive Coordinator

Scottie Hazelton, North Dakota State, one of the best defense in FCS, think he would do great things for us.

Scott Stoker: Sam Houston State, 2nd Best Defense in FCS, again I think he would do great things for us.

Bear Woods: One of the Best Linebackers we've ever had, great leader and can read offenses very well.

Hemi Man
11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
So many interpretations from a 1 minute clip. Its no wonder we can't agree on what happens in a 3 hour game.

CHughes1102
11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
So many interpretations from a 1 minute clip. Its no wonder we can't agree on what happens in a 3 hour game.

Wellll

Opening kickoff: We suck

Middle of the game: We suck

Final score: We lose.

Basically this....and somebody keeps pressing the "Repeat" button.

Bennekles the Trojan
11-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Wellll

:rollinglaugh: Take out the Repeat button and insert Bill Murray from "Groundhog Day." We've figured out we're stuck in a loop, but instead of changing it for the better, we are just seeing how many different ways we can screw things up.

Possum
11-06-2011, 10:28 PM
:rollinglaugh: Take out the Repeat button and insert Bill Murray from "Groundhog Day." We've figured out we're stuck in a loop, but instead of changing it for the better, we are just seeing how many different ways we can screw things up.

Yep.

Buzz Lightyear
11-07-2011, 08:17 AM

GUARANTEEEEEEE!!! Blakeneys' job not in any danger unless he wants to step down.....and I hope NOT....however Rowell is no closer friend than a particular former offensive coordinator.........

In my opinion we have better athlelets this year on the majority of the D but it sure is not showing.

Buzz Lightyear
11-07-2011, 08:23 AM
There was a nursery rhyme about the wheels on the bus go round and round or song.....maybe someone remembers the whole thing but I think this year can be summed up in that rhyme ........with a few changes...

Da wheels on the bus go round and round
round and round
round and round
Da wheels on the bus go round and round
and sometimes they all fall off....

Set to music it has a ring to it....unfortunately for this year it pretty well sums it ALL UP.:devil22:

TrojanWarrior418
11-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Sounds to me like Blakeney is tired of defending his staff week after week of poor performance.

I think they'll be lots of changes come the end of the year.

Cane gone Trojan
11-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Wellll

Can someone PLEASE press a fast forward button to this season...it can't get over fast enough. The 2011 Troy football season will be a great movie to play on Halloween every year....it is a great horror/nightmare story.

Hemi Man
11-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Can someone PLEASE press a fast forward button to this season...it can't get over fast enough. The 2011 Troy football season will be a great movie to play on Halloween every year....it is a great horror/nightmare story.

We all look forward to football season every year. I'm going to enjoy the next four games, because we won't have anymore for 9 months.

Cane gone Trojan
11-07-2011, 10:27 AM
We all look forward to football season every year. I'm going to enjoy the next four games, because we won't have anymore for 9 months.

A 9 month break will be good...time to recover from this disaster of a season.
I am going to enjoy the next 4 games too....each game completed is one step closer to this season ending.

CHughes1102
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
A 9 month break will be good...time to recover from this disaster of a season.
I am going to enjoy the next 4 games too....each game completed is one step closer to this season ending.

Exactly. This season is no longer fun at all. Just basically waiting for it to end.

TroyTrojans2003
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
well there is a basketball game tonight! time to turn our heads to another sport I guess!

Burn the Horse
11-07-2011, 11:18 AM
the offseason around here will either be a ghost town or a suicide prevention center. I'm not looking forward to the months of dead time.

TroyTrojans2003
11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
I am still a Trojan fan, but man it's frustrating to see this team play so bad. They picked the wrong year and time to be losing. With all this conference alignment happening, we will not even get anyone looking our way. We are only good for the Sunbelt!

Hemi Man
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I am still a Trojan fan, but man it's frustrating to see this team play so bad. They picked the wrong year and time to be losing. With all this conference alignment happening, we will not even get anyone looking our way. We are only good for the Sunbelt!

Losing is extremely frustrating to everyone involved. However, I don't believe we are financially ready for a move to another conference. No matter how good or bad our performance on the field is.

Lego
11-07-2011, 11:51 AM

The frustration of so many has been this breakdown was being seen by so many for quite a while now.

Lego
11-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Losing is extremely frustrating to everyone involved. However, I don't believe we are financially ready for a move to another conference. No matter how good or bad our performance on the field is.

This is the other thing right here, everyone wants Troy to advance, BUT Troy has to win big and more importantly, win consistently. If Troy does this, the financial windfall follows. History proves this, too many examples to site.

Winning big and more importantly, winning consistently is sometimes messy and serious choices must be made by serious people in order for this to happen.

TroyTrojans2003
11-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Right! agreed! and being 5-39 on OOC games does nothing for our program. Fan base has not gotten any better. We just play these games..some of those OOC games (LSU and FSU) were close to winning..but losing these did nothing as far as long term gains. I hope with next year's schedule, and by bringing in house hold names, we can finally (after 10 years) build this fan base up.

TroyFootball05
11-07-2011, 12:00 PM
This is the other thing right here, everyone wants Troy to advance, BUT Troy has to win big and more importantly, win consistently. If Troy does this, the financial windfall follows. History proves this, too many examples to site.

Winning big and more importantly, winning consistently is sometimes messy and serious choices must be made by serious people in order for this to happen.

I agree to an extent, but even during our five championship runs we haven't been getting the financial support one would expect. I think it's due to have much smaller alumni bases than other larger universities.

TroyTrojans2003
11-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah I hate beating a dead horse, but you take a look at Boise and what they have done, surely we can model ourselves after them. And of course it helps that they only "other" school in the state is the Vandals LOL. But I wish we could turn heads like they can....they did it in less time, and we are getting there, but it sure is taking way to long with the way sports work now days!

TFan
11-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I agree to extent, but even during our five championship runs we haven't been getting the financial support one would expect. I think it's due to have much smaller alumni bases than other larger universities.

DING, DING, DING! The Alumni numbers AND the demographic of Troy's Alumni most likely affects participation levels.

FliryVorru
11-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah I hate beating a dead horse, but you take a look at Boise and what they have done, surely we can model ourselves after them. And of course it helps that they only "other" school in the state is the Vandals LOL. But I wish we could turn heads like they can....they did it in less time, and we are getting there, but it sure is taking way to long with the way sports work now days!

Man, I couldn't agree more. And one of the major differences between our two schools is that they and their alumni base in Boise decided "let's shovel out the money now and up front."

Sure, there's more to it but you hit it on the head. It doesn't take decades to build a program any more, if you really want to.

Lego
11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Right! agreed! and being 5-39 on OOC games does nothing for our program. Fan base has not gotten any better. We just play these games..some of those OOC games (LSU and FSU) were close to winning..but losing these did nothing as far as long term gains. I hope with next year's schedule, and by bringing in house hold names, we can finally (after 10 years) build this fan base up.

I agree to an extent, but even during our five championship runs we haven't been getting the financial support one would expect. I think it's due to have much smaller alumni bases than other larger universities.

DING, DING, DING! The Alumni numbers AND the demographic of Troy's Alumni most likely affects participation levels.

Man, I couldn't agree more. And one of the major differences between our two schools is that they and their alumni base in Boise decided "let's shovel out the money now and up front."

Sure, there's more to it but you hit it on the head. It doesn't take decades to build a program any more, if you really want to.

All good issues, sometimes it takes some programs to get there longer, everyone is different, BUT (and can't stress this enough) Troy has to WIN, each year and every year (or come very close). Cannot have 2-10 seasons getting blow OUT on TV by LA-L & Navy, this cannot happen if we want Troy to go up.

If that takes firing coaches, changing schemes, etc. Whatever it takes, whenever it takes. We must be bold. (and to alot of Troy supportor's point, Troy cannot have a defense rated in the 100's three years in a row or an offense that can't score more than 14 points, regardless of how long the guy calling the plays has been on the job, just can' happen) IF we want Troy to grow.

Now if you don't want Troy to grow or don't care, then yes Troy is set-up to be an average / above-average SunBelt team.

TFan
11-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Well, the upside of all this is; we may be able to schedule games with Big Name programs that need a sure-fire W for the Alums at their Homecomings! As someone pointed out a few days back, beating MO and Okie State may have affected our scheduling desirabilty..

Another season such as this and ANYBODY should be glad to schedule us anywhere, anytime, etc etc.

C'Mon Trojans, Man up! BEAT the Nasty Green this weekend!! YOU can DO IT!

Cane gone Trojan
11-07-2011, 02:27 PM

That and the fact that probably 75% + Troy Alumnus don't support Troy after they leave...they are either too busy supporting other schools( I know many who do this) or just could care less about football and didn't support/attend it when they were students. For a small school like Troy to develope a good fan base in the state of Alabama the University has to have some very creative, very driven PR/Marketing employees...I don't think they have that...I also think that we have a Administration down(this includes the Troy coaching staff) that is VERY content with where Troy is right now in the world of college football....I am not saying that is a bad thing, but under this Administration Troy HAS reached its full potential...I really don't think they desire for Troy to go any farther then where they are right now and go yet to another level. It starts with the top down for a college football program to grow or continue to grow and with this Administration Troy is FULL grown.jmo

Spiritual_Trojan
11-07-2011, 02:34 PM
That and the fact that probably 75% + Troy Alumnus don't support Troy after they leave...they are either too busy supporting other schools( I know many who do this) or just could care less about football and didn't support/attend it when they were students. For a small school like Troy to develope a good fan base in the state of Alabama the University has to have some very creative, very driven PR/Marketing employees...I don't think they have that...I also think that we have a Administration down(this includes the Troy coaching staff) that is VERY content with where Troy is right now in the world of college football....I am not saying that is a bad thing, but under this Administration Troy HAS reached its full potential...I really don't think they desire for Troy to go any farther then where they are right now and go yet to another level. It starts with the top down for a college football program to grow or continue to grow and with this Administration Troy is FULL grown.jmo

So the new arena, fully renovated baseball complex, the planned additions to the football field and all the other things they have planned are all because they have no desire to take troy any farther than it is now?

Cane gone Trojan
11-07-2011, 03:30 PM
So the new arena, fully renovated baseball complex, the planned additions to the football field and all the other things they have planned are all because they have no desire to take troy any farther than it is now?

yep, that is what I think.....Those additions, in particular the basketball arena will at least put us on par with other Sunbelt arenas...Troy has been playing in a glorified High school gym and the new arena is long, long over due. Yes, I think the Sunbelt is just fine with the current Administration.

dgoebel
11-07-2011, 03:42 PM
The frustration of so many has been this breakdown was being seen by so many for quite a while now.

In hindsight you might be correct. I have been concerned with the recruiting for the last 3 years for sure.

TrojanWarrior418
11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
It's not that we have a small alumni base. It's not because we don't have a lot of money. It's that our alumni base is too busy buying Bama and Barn season tickets, license plates, flags, t-shirts, etc... to throw any money back at their alma mater.

dgoebel
11-07-2011, 03:46 PM

Hard to compare Troy to Boise, ID. Boise is a pretty good size city (Southwest flies there) and the school has a big enrollment. They also don't have any competition in recruiting some overlooked west coast players. I agree with the model they have used, good 2 star high school recruits with good character and heart. Works when done right.

Cane gone Trojan
11-07-2011, 04:17 PM
It's not that we have a small alumni base. It's not because we don't have a lot of money. It's that our alumni base is too busy buying Bama and Barn season tickets, license plates, flags, t-shirts, etc... to throw any money back at their alma mater.

exactly!....our own alumni keep making those other schools that much more supported and ours that much less supported. Our own alumni have kept Troy from having a really good fanbase. Our own Alumni are keeping Troy from reaching its full potential. Our own alumni take more pride in a school they never attended then the one they graduated from and helped give them the opportunity to have a good career and make a good living. Our own alumni who support other schools have NO pride in who they are and what is a part of them, and they don't even realize it... i could go on and on...it is just SAD! If a Troy student doesn't leave the University with a burning pride in THEIR school and a feeling of great accomplishment that makes them want to be a proud loyal alumnus for life then the likelyhood of them ever getting it later is slim to NONE! The University has got to do a better job of de-brainwashing their students while they are there....convince them the importance of always BLEEDING THEIR SCHOOL COLORS and being a proud Troy Trojans for life.

dgoebel
11-07-2011, 04:49 PM
exactly!....our own alumni keep making those other schools that much more supported and ours that much less supported. Our own alumni have kept Troy from having a really good fanbase. Our own Alumni are keeping Troy from reaching its full potential. Our own alumni take more pride in a school they never attended then the one they graduated from and helped give them the opportunity to have a good career and make a good living. Our own alumni who support other schools have NO pride in who they are and what is a part of them, and they don't even realize it... i could go on and on...it is just SAD! If a Troy student doesn't leave the University with a burning pride in THEIR school and a feeling of great accomplishment that makes them want to be a proud loyal alumnus for life then the likelyhood of them ever getting it later is slim to NONE! The University has got to do a better job of de-brainwashing their students while they are there....convince them the importance of always BLEEDING THEIR SCHOOL COLORS and being a proud Troy Trojans for life.

:thumb::signs011::signs009:

Lego
12-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Coach LB, " I don't deal with excuses ".

Follow through Larry, follow through. Gig'em

TrojanEmpire
12-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Coach LB, " I don't deal with excuses ".

Follow through Larry, follow through. Gig'em

Doesn't sound like that is going to happen

Navarre Trojan
12-31-2011, 11:12 AM

and dont "lump" ALL ALUMNI in one basket! There are a LOT OF US (alumni and fans alike) that are in NO WAY described above!! I am also tired of hearing why the other schools in Alabama are the reason we had a crappy season and the Troy World is coming to an end. Lastly it IS NOT the role of the university to force "school spirit" onto people, the "college experience" is suppose to do that. Realize also that the students that started at Troy as a typical college Freshman the year Troy went FBS in football are BARELY 30 years old (if at all). Careers are JUST NOW getting started (like our football program) they are the ONLY ONES to have experience with Troy being D-1 and they are just barely out on their own, in the work place.

Possum
01-01-2012, 05:53 PM

I agree.

TroyFootball05
01-03-2012, 03:27 PM

Boise pays their HC $1,500,000/year. The Boise model is not what everyone thinks it is. They have money.

GoTroyGo1
01-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Some of my take on our fan base. A lot of the alumni grew up as Alabama/ Auburn fans and see Troy as "small fry". They might look at the scores online or in the newspaper, see if Troy won and say "ok, that's nice". These types fill the seats in Tuscaloosa or Auburn, and wouldn't consider going to a Troy game. Some others might have a Bachelor's from Troy and a Master's or Law degree etc from Auburn or Alabama, their allegiance is firmly in the latter's camp too. (I Know some Troy alums like this) Don't see much of a solution to any of these issues. I have had people say I'm crazy for only following Troy but it's the main school I'm interested in with the exception of Emory and Henry in Virginia (D-III school I grew up going to ball games with my Dad who is an E&H alum) . I'm die hard for Troy, but I don't think you will ever shake people like the aforementioned's mindset, or get any money from these types. :mad:

Burn the Horse
01-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I get asked all the time, "are you Auburn or Alabama?" Sometimes I get weird looks when I tell them "I'm Troy," but usually people smile and say, "Oh Troy, they have a really good program these days."

Face it fellas, we're the third team in a State that has been orange and blue/ crimson and white for decades. We just gotta keep chuggin' along and sticking to our guns, one day we'll carve out a bigger niche'. Heck we've only been playing big boy football for alittle over a decade, be patient.

I am an ambassador for the program every day, I'm sure many of you are the same. We are the starting point for the fanbase, raise your kids to wear Cardinal and the next generation will provide us with a larger following. We won't change the folks who look at us as the little guy so there's no use in getting worked up over it, we just have to present ourselves as a legitimate alternative to the other guys to the next batch coming along now.

Go Troy. :eatdrink004:

edit: P.S. - Get us some baby clothes made up Screentech. My son is 4 months now and there STILL isn't anything Troy I can put on the boy. 6-12 months is the smallest I've found thus far. I'm trying to indoctrinate the kid, can I get some help? :angry013:

trojanchad
01-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Speaking of the next generation of our fan base, I have noticed many kids decked out in Trojan gear. My job takes me to Dothan quite a bit and I see *almost* as much Trojan gear there as any other school now.

Looks like a lot of kids got some Cardinal for Christmas.

Discophobia
01-04-2012, 01:56 PM
I have been brainwashing my 6 year old son to be a Troy fan since the day he came home in a tiny Troy t-shirt and Troy knit cap. He lives for going down on the field and throwing the football after a home game.

TexasTrojan
01-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I have been brainwashing my 6 year old son to be a Troy fan since the day he came home in a tiny Troy t-shirt and Troy knit cap. He lives for going down on the field and throwing the football after a home game.
Well better luck to you. I tried raiseing 3 little Texas A&M Aggies.

My 3 turned out to be::scared:

Texas Tech Red Raider

Stephen F Austin Lumberjack

Troy Trojan

redwaver
01-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I get asked all the time, "are you Auburn or Alabama?" Sometimes I get weird looks when I tell them "I'm Troy," but usually people smile and say, "Oh Troy, they have a really good program these days."

Face it fellas, we're the third team in a State that has been orange and blue/ crimson and white for decades. We just gotta keep chuggin' along and sticking to our guns, one day we'll carve out a bigger niche'. Heck we've only been playing big boy football for alittle over a decade, be patient.

I am an ambassador for the program every day, I'm sure many of you are the same. We are the starting point for the fanbase, raise your kids to wear Cardinal and the next generation will provide us with a larger following. We won't change the folks who look at us as the little guy so there's no use in getting worked up over it, we just have to present ourselves as a legitimate alternative to the other guys to the next batch coming along now.

Go Troy. :eatdrink004:

edit: P.S. - Get us some baby clothes made up Screentech. My son is 4 months now and there STILL isn't anything Troy I can put on the boy. 6-12 months is the smallest I've found thus far. I'm trying to indoctrinate the kid, can I get some help? :angry013:
Think you are on target here. I am 70 and I wear Troy stuff 5 out of 6 days (never, never on a Sunday a Sunday 'cause that's a day of rest" as the song goes). Can honestly say I can't remember when I bumped into another person wearing Troy gear except at meetings, etc. Our town is only about 27,000 people but a ton of Troy grads. We find it hard to get a small rep. to Alumni functions but let the other two have a doing and they flock there....and some of them are Troy grads. I have bought several hats for my Troy alumni friends to "shame" them into giving up the FSU, UA, AU hats. Troy is not the only school so effected though. One part of my wife's family is hard core Alabama fans. Everything they wear is 'Bama stuff. All the kids Christmas gifts has the awful "A" one it or that darn long snouted bovine. There are 5 adults in this group and all graduated......from universities other than 'Bama. In one case his team was in a bowl game but still Alabamer. We do have a way's to go but won't get there until out marketing gets better. JMHO

dgoebel
01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Think you are on target here. I am 70 and I wear Troy stuff 5 out of 6 days (never, never on a Sunday a Sunday 'cause that's a day of rest" as the song goes). Can honestly say I can't remember when I bumped into another person wearing Troy gear except at meetings, etc. Our town is only about 27,000 people but a ton of Troy grads. We find it hard to get a small rep. to Alumni functions but let the other two have a doing and they flock there....and some of them are Troy grads. I have bought several hats for my Troy alumni friends to "shame" them into giving up the FSU, UA, AU hats. Troy is not the only school so effected though. One part of my wife's family is hard core Alabama fans. Everything they wear is 'Bama stuff. All the kids Christmas gifts has the awful "A" one it or that darn long snouted bovine. There are 5 adults in this group and all graduated......from universities other than 'Bama. In one case his team was in a bowl game but still Alabamer. We do have a way's to go but won't get there until out marketing gets better. JMHO

I understand completely. I have a fellow alumni who was wearing a Gator shirt at a HS game this year??? I wanted to snatch it off him and burn it. I wear my Troy shirts to every HS game and have been asked at one away game if I was a coach for Troy :thumb: