tntrojan
09-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Another take on UAB's free tickets from the Memphis Commercial Appeal.... :lol:

Tigers-UAB may be priceless, literally
By Geoff Calkins
September 24, 2004

Free tickets?

It sounded too good to be true.

We have heard of free throws, free love, "Freebird," "Free Willy" and World B. Free.

But free tickets to the Memphis-UAB football game this weekend?

That can't be.

So Gary Parrish, reporter for The Commercial Appeal, went to the UAB Internet site and signed up.

Yes, he'd like two tickets.

No, he'd prefer not to pay.

"Sure enough," Parrish said, "two general admission tickets showed up in the mail on Monday."

He is not the only Memphian to do this, evidently.

"A lot of our people found out about it and signed up for free tickets," said Bob Winn, of the Memphis athletic department. "It's good for us because our allotment has been sold out for a couple days."

So it should be a real hoot. Provided, of course, that Legion Field stays upright.

On Aug. 19, the city of Birmingham found structural damage and condemned the place.

OK, not the the whole building, just the upper deck.

Fans sit in the lower deck.

And, uh, don't look up.

It's not like they're Alabama fans or anything.

Besides, what do you expect for free?

Give the UAB people credit for trying to move tickets anyway they can. If this doesn't work they're going to give out free tickets for the Titanic. The Hindenberg. A flight around the world with Amelia Earhart...

Go Trojans!

Tums
09-24-2004, 03:53 PM
:lol:
I recieved free tickets for this game also. LMAO

BMarkey
09-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Does the NCAA allow these tickets to be included in minimum attendance quotas?

FAU is taking some flack for raising ticket prices (to around $25), even when the Owls averaged only 7,000 or so people last year.

Tums
09-25-2004, 09:19 AM
BMarkey the tickets do count for attendance. UAB is using the tickets as marketing promotion. From what I understand UAB's claim is the tickets where paid for through the donations that sponsored the promotion. :roll:

Anonymous
09-25-2004, 09:20 AM
That was supposed to be a controlled survey in which two tickets were given away for taking the survey. A Memphis grad, who is married to a UAB grad, got the email and posted the link on a Memphis message board.

If you play in a stadium that seats 85,000 but you only avg about 20,000, then what is wrong with giving away tickets to get more people to come to the game? EVERY school has free tickets in some sort of fashion. I got free tickets to an Auburn game when I was in high school just for listening to one of their recruiters.

Or what about "Band Day" where universities invite bands from the local area to play at halftime?

Like I said, every school does it.

Anonymous
09-27-2004, 09:54 AM
If you play in a stadium that seats 85,000 but you only avg about 20,000, then what is wrong with giving away tickets to get more people to come to the game? EVERY school has free tickets in some sort of fashion. I got free tickets to an Auburn game when I was in high school just for listening to one of their recruiters.

Or what about "Band Day" where universities invite bands from the local area to play at halftime?

Like I said, every school does it.

Let me put it like this StlUABfan. Season ticket holders do not appreciate just anyone off the street being given tickets like they have to pay for. It is one thing to give tickets to a particular group or orginization that will be honored on that day. It is a totally different thing to just give tickets to anyone that has a pulse. I am not a UAB fan and a couple different people sent me free UAB tickets as a joke. I was kind enough to send them back to people in the Birmingham area that might would go. It is disgrace that people can apply online to send me free UAB tickets to a event that I do not want to go to. I know if Troy was to have pulled a stunt like that I would be pissed. Call it like I see it. Sorry if it hurts your feelings StlUABfan.

TrojanFan2
09-27-2004, 12:24 PM
If they want to let everyone in free it is their business. I don't care. I wouldn't watch UAB play if they were outside my office window right now and most people won't so they have to give tickets away. It may or may not work in the long run.

Anonymous
09-27-2004, 01:28 PM
How long until UAB starts paying people to see their games? Or maybe free healthcare in exchange for attendance...that's a great idea!

Sarahbelle
09-27-2004, 01:39 PM
How long until UAB starts paying people to see their games? Or maybe free healthcare in exchange for attendance...that's a great idea!

Oops, didn't realize I wasn't logged in!

:)