PDA

View Full Version : Tuscaloosa offensive lineman commits to Troy

trojanbrutha
10-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Tuscaloosa offensive lineman commits to Troy (http://www2.dothaneagle.com/sports/2011/oct/31/tuscaloosa-offensive-lineman-commits-troy-ar-2633567/)

By: Drew Champlin
Published: October 31, 2011

Troy got a commitment Monday from Hillcrest-Tuscaloosa offensive lineman Luke Lawrence.

Lawrence was offered by Troy about a month ago and pulled the trigger on Monday.

"I felt like it was the right time to commit," Lawrence said. "The football program is really good and so is the academic side. It's close to home and I felt it was good for me to go there."

Lawrence is 6-foot-3 and 295 pounds. He plays left tackle for Hillcrest, which is 10-0 in Class 6A football, but he'll play on the interior line when he gets to Troy.

dgoebel
11-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Sounds good. Three OL commits so far if I am correct. Seems like we need Defensive Line depth also. Anyone heard on any D Line commits or prospects?

trojanbrutha
11-25-2011, 10:43 AM
ESPN Analyst
Updated 11/11/2011

Lawrence demonstrates the explosion and playing strength to dominate his present level of competition when run blocking. Although he plays offensive tackle efficiently we feel his size potential and athleticism are better suited for the offensive guard position at the major level of competition; May not be capable of adding much more weight to his frame over time. Playing mostly out of a three point stance we see a prospect with good lower body flexibility, balance and agility; comes off the ball low and hard, capable of establishing an immediate advantage when single blocking. His initial fit, base and playing strength enable him to knock defenders off the ball and sustain well down the field. We see the initial quickness needed to reach and consistently get a hat on active 1st and 2nd level defenders. The physical tools he possesses suggest a lineman capable of making all the run blocks at the next level of competition. His arm length, hand quickness and nimble feet should be assets in pass protection; displays the ability to short set, bend and slide his feet; can adjust to movement and stay in front of rushers; appears to have double read potential with the athleticism needed to get out of trouble in space. Although his hand use will need refinement we like his initial punch and attempt to relocate the hands inside the frame. This guy displays the nasty finishing attitude we like to see when evaluating offensive linemen. Lawrence is presently flying under the radar as a major level prospect. However his athleticism and playing strength suggest continued evaluation as a BCS prospect.

dgoebel
11-25-2011, 11:16 AM
A ideal situation is that he is good enough to play early and that could allow Zac Johnson to move to center, possibly Dalton Bennett to one guard and allow Wilburn to play left tackle.

trojanbrutha
11-25-2011, 12:26 PM
A ideal situation is that he is good enough to play early and that could allow Zac Johnson to move to center, possibly Dalton Bennett to one guard and allow Wilburn to play left tackle.

We played guys that were good enough this season, but we need guys that are capable...that's where the 2-3 juco linemen come in...The right side of the line mostly got man-handled because they weren't strong enough just yet. They need some time under Shaunnessy before being thrown into battle.

dgoebel
11-25-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't think Jones or Johnson got manhandled, that is a pretty strong statement, they are both young and made mistakes but I am real excited having them both for 3 years and they will be battle tested sophmores next year. I know one game where Zac Johnson had the highest grade. If a kid has been lifting weights and is strong, they can play early. No gurantee even on a juco lineman they have been dedicated to the weights. A lot of it boils down to work ethic. We need depth at OL that is for sure. We basically played with 6-7 OL this year. I would like to see us two deep because if you get an injury, you are put in a bad place.

I am hoping one of these juco OL steps up. Not trying to sound negative but our success rate there has not been good. Brown and Dion Small for big time players and we got a good season out of Tyler Graves, but the list of others who didn't start is long (Rotunda, Curtis, Andrews, Potter etc.). I am hoping this guy is the next Brown, Small, Clark, or Franks. We need him :thumb:

trojanbrutha
11-25-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't think Jones or Johnson got manhandled, that is a pretty strong statement, they are both young and made mistakes but I am real excited having them both for 3 years and they will be battle tested sophmores next year. I know one game where Zac Johnson had the highest grade. If a kid has been lifting weights and is strong, they can play early. No gurantee even on a juco lineman they have been dedicated to the weights. A lot of it boils down to work ethic. We need depth at OL that is for sure. We basically played with 6-7 OL this year. I would like to see us two deep because if you get an injury, you are put in a bad place.

I am hoping one of these juco OL steps up. Not trying to sound negative but our success rate there has not been good. Brown and Dion Small for big time players and we got a good season out of Tyler Graves, but the list of others who didn't start is long (Rotunda, Curtis, Andrews, Potter etc.). I am hoping this guy is the next Brown, Small, Clark, or Franks. We need him :thumb:

Again, I say that the right side of the offensive line got tossed around some this season. That does include the RG, RT...not happy to see it happen, but it has. Brown, Franks, Dion, Jamison, etc...very good examples, but this group doesn't have the consistency or chemistry of those lines, dating back to 07-08. There's always room for improvement, whether or not you came from a juco...

dgoebel
11-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Looking for the OL to vastly improved next season. Out of curiosity, we signed two big OL last year, one from Dothan and One from Luvurne. Neither qualified, do you have any updates on these two?

trojanbrutha
11-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Looking for the OL to vastly improved next season. Out of curiosity, we signed two big OL last year, one from Dothan and One from Luvurne. Neither qualified, do you have any updates on these two?

Bartavis Whigham (http://rivals.yahoo.com/troy/football/recruiting/player-Bartavis-Whigham-102152;_ylt=Av3eODulDEzqQMZzJsaKMRMxuJB4) and Robert Freeman (http://rivals.yahoo.com/troy/football/recruiting/player-Robert-Freeman-103015;_ylt=AvXWkxK9vkBGwKqH3DXlNaoxuJB4) (NEMCC). Whigham is a grayshirt. http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2011/08/tuesday-notes.html

Those are guys that have attempted to play ball for this school and haven't accomplished it, for whatever reason it may be...I respect that.

dgoebel
11-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Help me understand this?? Why do we sign a player who doesn't qualify? It just seems to me if you want to maybe gamble on one ok, but we have a pattern of this. To me, and I am not a college coach, it seems to be a waste of time, money and a scholarship. Doesn't the NCAA penalize you scholarships for signing prop 48 casualties? It would seem to make more sense trying to get guys you know you can get into school. Maybe there is a reason we do this, I just don't understand it.

trojanbrutha
11-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Help me understand this?? Why do we sign a player who doesn't qualify? It just seems to me if you want to maybe gamble on one ok, but we have a pattern of this. To me, and I am not a college coach, it seems to be a waste of time, money and a scholarship. Doesn't the NCAA penalize you scholarships for signing prop 48 casualties? It would seem to make more sense trying to get guys you know you can get into school. Maybe there is a reason we do this, I just don't understand it.

At this point in the process, it's a need not a want. We need the help of jucos and taking gambles are a necessity. At some point in the future, it may not be...the reality of the situation dictates the end result. Yes, we've had casualties, but we've also helped some guys farther their educations and that's something positive. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...TROY coaches have done it to the tune of 5 championships. Looking forward to resuming our strangle-hold on the SBC again next year.