PDA

View Full Version : SportsLine on 740 this Morning Discussing Troy

Burn the Horse
10-26-2011, 09:26 AM
I don't know if anyone was listening, but I just called in under the moniker "Trojan Man" to talk about last night's game with Barry.

his take on it is, among many things, the lack of a running game. he said Corey told him that defenses are able to commit 5 and 6 DBs to defend the pass due to the fact there is little threat of an effective rushing attack. that has forced him to double clutch a lot and wait for things to develop, which is tough because our receivers are inexperienced and are having trouble getting seperation.

I agree with his assessment.

also, I think I set the record for longest time on air for a Troy fan. they usually don't give us enough time to really talk Trojan football, so I gave it my all.

Burn the Horse
10-26-2011, 09:58 AM
for those of you who live in the River Region, why don't you ever call in? there would be more Troy talk if more Troy fans would simply call.

dgoebel
10-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't know if anyone was listening, but I just called in under the moniker "Trojan Man" to talk about last night's game with Barry.

his take on it is, among many things, the lack of a running game. he said Corey told him that defenses are able to commit 5 and 6 DBs to defend the pass due to the fact there is little threat of an effective rushing attack. that has forced him to double clutch a lot and wait for things to develop, which is tough because our receivers are inexperienced and are having trouble getting seperation.

also, I think I set the record for longest time on air for a Troy fan. they usually don't give us enough time to really talk Trojan football, so I gave it my all.

Partially true. CR is no threat to run and he does not have great touch on the ball. We don't have speed at WR so they are playing up tight and running man coverage on us. That allows the Lb's to stay in tight and stop the run and also we throw underneath all the time. If we had any speed at WR they could get open against man coverage. That used to be suicide to try that against us with Omar and Levi.

Burn the Horse
10-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I think next season (and yes I know that is over used in football) we will be much better. the WR corps will be improved and that will help everything on the offensive side of the ball.

dgoebel
10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
We have a new QB next year? One that throws overhand?

Chrono124
10-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I think since this season is pretty much blown, the coaches need to start calling alot more over the top different plays for the WRs and the RBs to get them alot of playing time and practice for next year. Its not like it will hurt anything, might even help lol. As for the defense well, that one has to just be poor play calling half the time. Rowell called blitz's on 3rd down almost everytime and they threw it right over, and burned our defense.

playfailstoogain
10-26-2011, 10:35 AM

You keep harping on this - you do remember the touch he showed last year that resulted in almost 4,000 yards passing right? he throws over hand and 3/4 most of the time, and he has flipped a few out there side armed as well. that's not an issue. this kid is going to be a 4 year starter baring a surprise or injury.
You have your opinion, i have mine. I see play calling as the biggest problem this year. It has gotten more and more conservative as the season has developed and is about as imaginative as the growth on the back Wayne Bolt's head. Maybe he really would prefer to be coaching with his buddy at ULALA. That's not fair, but damn we can't even string together first downs. If we only run 50 to 60 plays a game our system simply does not work and there is no amount of defense we have that could counter act that. We got 4 turnovers for goodness sakes and couldnt do squat with them for the most part.

dgoebel
10-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Do you see how bad his side arm has gotten? I don't see any other QB ever that throws side arm. It has to effect his arm strength and ability to throw the deep ball.

Discophobia
10-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Corey will come around, but I dont understand the play calling at all. We have no zip or flash right now. We also have the slowest hurry up offense in the country, we are so slow we could just go to a huddle system and save the hassle. Our Offense is down right now, but it is not a long term trend like our defense that has been down for the last several years.

MonsterDawg
10-26-2011, 11:26 AM

recruiting an athletic spread offense qb should be priority one this year!

TrueTrojan
10-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Some of what Corey has "said" is very true. Our WR's have lacked the ability to create separation consistently all year BUT they have to be given the time to create it.

Corey has developed "happy feet" & is definitely feeling the pressure in the pocket WAY too early. Most dual-threat QB's have a tendency to leave the pocket & roll out to extend plays b/c they are a threat to run & have the ability to pull the coverage up. Corey IS NOT a dual-threat guy. He is a drop-back, POCKET passer. When a guy like this gets "happy feet" & starts leaving the pocket prematurely it breaks down EVERYTHING. Blockers lose their assignments, WR's break off routes early & throw timing completely out the door & the secondary suffocates them b/c he is no threat to run.

The sidearm throws are not a problem...when needed. You have to improvise & find throwing lanes at all costs BUT you have to have sound MECHANICS EVERYWHERE ELSE to pull it off consistently. Right now Corey is practically a shortstop going up the middle, throwing sidearm off of one foot b/c he isn't STEPPING UP IN THE POCKET (like a pocket-passer should).

Under Omar & others we have PLANNED to move the pocket to cater to their dual-threat & rollout tendencies. With Corey we PLAN to create a pocket for him to STEP UP IN and deliver balls with confidence, sound mechanics, proper timing & accuracy.

You can't play this game scared to get hit in the mouth. If you do...you won't be playing it very long. Corey needs to have confidence in his OL & trust his mechanics & start STEPPING UP in the POCKET like he should.

PCTrojan
10-26-2011, 12:37 PM

You and Dgoebel are delusional. Corey is our guy, he has no time to throw, no receivers to throw too and no running game to help. What do you think happens to any QB with that situation?

You and especially Dgoebel are the type of people that are making this site less and less fun. I used to want to come on here win or lose but I her Dgoebel constant bickering about JuCo's and now this crap about getting rid of our stud HS recruited QB (Dgoebel I would think you would stand by a HS recruit but I guess hypocrsy(sp) thy name).

We will be fine and things will turn around. We cannot win every year. Go Troy and stop your whining.

PCTrojan
10-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Some of what Corey has "said" is very true. Our WR's have lacked the ability to create separation consistently all year BUT they have to be given the time to create it.

Corey has developed "happy feet" & is definitely feeling the pressure in the pocket WAY too early. Most dual-threat QB's have a tendency to leave the pocket & roll out to extend plays b/c they are a threat to run & have the ability to pull the coverage up. Corey IS NOT a dual-threat guy. He is a drop-back, POCKET passer. When a guy like this gets "happy feet" & starts leaving the pocket prematurely it breaks down EVERYTHING. Blockers lose their assignments, WR's break off routes early & throw timing completely out the door & the secondary suffocates them b/c he is no threat to run.

The sidearm throws are not a problem...when needed. You have to improvise & find throwing lanes at all costs BUT you have to have sound MECHANICS EVERYWHERE ELSE to pull it off consistently. Right now Corey is practically a shortstop going up the middle, throwing sidearm off of one foot b/c he isn't STEPPING UP IN THE POCKET (like a pocket-passer should).

Under Omar & others we have PLANNED to move the pocket to cater to their dual-threat & rollout tendencies. With Corey we PLAN to create a pocket for him to STEP UP IN and deliver balls with confidence, sound mechanics, proper timing & accuracy.

You can't play this game scared to get hit in the mouth. If you do...you won't be playing it very long. Corey needs to have confidence in his OL & trust his mechanics & start STEPPING UP in the POCKET like he should.

That is exactly what is being passed around the team right now is that Corey does NOT trust his O-Line. There have even been discussions with some members of the D-Line to see about an off season switch to the O-Line to help.

MonsterDawg
10-26-2011, 12:51 PM
You and Dgoebel are delusional. Corey is our guy, he has no time to throw, no receivers to throw too and no running game to help. What do you think happens to any QB with that situation?

You and especially Dgoebel are the type of people that are making this site less and less fun. I used to want to come on here win or lose but I her Dgoebel constant bickering about JuCo's and now this crap about getting rid of our stud HS recruited QB (Dgoebel I would think you would stand by a HS recruit but I guess hypocrsy(sp) thy name).

We will be fine and things will turn around. We cannot win every year. Go Troy and stop your whining.

Less fun? why because we dont agree with everything you say? btw, without Jernigan, this would have happened last year. SO get over yourself.

PCTrojan
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Less fun? why because we dont agree with everything you say? btw, without Jernigan, this would have happened last year. SO get over yourself.

I didn't say anything for you too agree with....? I simply said you guys are delusional and I still stand by that. Jernigan was a big part of last year that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this year.

Keep on whining!

dgoebel
10-26-2011, 12:58 PM

First of all, I wore the Troy uniform so don't ever question my loyalty to this program. My understanding was if you aren't getting the job done, you don't start. CR is strugling and if you want to debate me on this go ahead, the last two games are pretty obvious. Having played OL, I counted several times last night where he is sitting in the pocket for 5 plus seconds before attempting to throw. You can't expect the OL to protect for that long every time. They are not the fault of overthrows, underthrows etc. Are they perfect? No. But I think it is ridiculous to blame the OL and recievers for all of this, when the QB isn't doing his part either.

I love this program and my son is attending Troy next year on an academic scholarship. Being a true fan is not just accepting everything, but having pride in the program and wanting and expecting a level of excellence set my hundreds of players before this bunch. If any player (including me when I played) was not getting the job done, then they found someone who could.

If you think that makes me a bad fan, oh well. There are several former players who don't like what they are seeing on the field. It needs to get turned around right now. I don't like having 20 plus juco players on the roster. That is my right. Sorry you don't agree. If you think the juco's are the answer, by all means encourage them to go sign about 20 this off season.

Go Troy!!!! I hope they do get it turned around. I am a proud former player, alumni and booster and soon to be Troy Parent. It doesn't meanthat myself or anyone else on this board has to agree with everything this team does. Troy is not a loser program, so if you are happy and proud this year, good for you. Me and several others expect more. Losing is one thing, losing the way we are is another. That being said, I am now and forever will be a Troy Fan...win or lose!! Doesn't mean I accept losing, but I will not become a Gator fan or any other school fan ever. Forever a Troy fan!!!

PCTrojan
10-26-2011, 01:04 PM
First of all, I wore the Troy uniform so don't ever question my loyalty to this program. My understanding was if you aren't getting the job done, you don't start. CR is strugling and if you want to debate me on this go ahead, the last two games are pretty obvious. Having played OL, I counted several times last night where he is sitting in the pocket for 5 plus seconds before attempting to throw. You can't expect the OL to protect for that long every time. They are not the fault of overthrows, underthrows etc. Are they perfect? No. But I think it is ridiculous to blame the OL and recievers for all of this, when the QB isn't doing his part either.

I love this program and my son is attending Troy next year on an academic scholarship. Being a true fan is not just accepting everything, but having pride in the program and wanting and expecting a level of excellence set my hundreds of players before this bunch. If any player (including me when I played) was not getting the job done, then they found someone who could.

If you think that makes me a bad fan, oh well. There are several former players who don't like what they are seeing on the field. It needs to get turned around right now. I don't like having 20 plus juco players on the roster. That is my right. Sorry you don't agree. If you think the juco's are the answer, by all means encourage them to go sign about 20 this off season.

Go Troy!!!! I hope they do get it turned around. I am a proud former player, alumni and booster and soon to be Troy Parent. It doesn't meanthat myself or anyone else on this board has to agree with everything this team does. Troy is not a loser program, so if you are happy and proud this year, good for you. Me and several others expect more. Losing is one thing, losing the way we are is another.

I am glad that the we share our love for Troy. In regards to the OL and WR being let down by CR, let's take a look at this. Corey is getting anywhere from 2-5 seconds to release the ball. :05 seconds is great :02 not-so-much. Then take into consideration our receivers are not getting open and dropping 4-7 balls per game. That alone can explain for the problems for CR. CR has a bad case of "Happy Feet" and he is forcing the issue. If our run game was better right now we could help Corey to get some more time as we saw after the scoring drive in which we ran well.

I don't care JuCo or HS, we need people we can take direction well and execute on the field and we need people in the boxes and on the sidelines who can coach them well. It works both ways. This is going to be a tough season and we can only get better from here.

CR will be fine the same time the receivers and OL and Def gets it together. They all need each other playing well or they all look bad together.

TrojanArrow
10-26-2011, 01:05 PM

I can't agree with this statement after being able to predict his last two interceptions before they left his hand. I think it's obvious that his receivers made his stats last year because all he had to do was quick pass to Jernigan or let Gill jump up and catch it.

If you need any further proof look to the USC Trojans. Their offensive line is like thin ice with the freshman and lack of depth. Their QB knows this so when he see's a blitz guess what he does, he calls hot feet, throws it away, or simply avoids the blitz. Our QB gets sacked, throws interceptions, or tries to dump it to a running back. You can't win every year but having one of the worst teams in the country is inexcusable unless you have all freshman starters and a new coach which we don't.

dgoebel
10-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I am glad that the we share our love for Troy. In regards to the OL and WR being let down by CR, let's take a look at this. Corey is getting anywhere from 2-5 seconds to release the ball. :05 seconds is great :02 not-so-much. Then take into consideration our receivers are not getting open and dropping 4-7 balls per game. That alone can explain for the problems for CR. CR has a bad case of "Happy Feet" and he is forcing the issue. If our run game was better right now we could help Corey to get some more time as we saw after the scoring drive in which we ran well.

I don't care JuCo or HS, we need people we can take direction well and execute on the field and we need people in the boxes and on the sidelines who can coach them well. It works both ways. This is going to be a tough season and we can only get better from here.

CR will be fine the same time the receivers and OL and Def gets it together. They all need each other playing well or they all look bad together.

Speed at WR seems to be a problem. Teams are playing man against us and we aren't getting seperation. We have good freshman recievers and a good bunch of commits (if we can keep them after this season) We need that break away guy. It is noticeable also on kick return and punt return. Remember the days of JJ and Leodis breaking those?

And yes, we are fans, no matter what. GO TROY!!!!

TrueTrojan
10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Being a true fan is not just accepting everything, but having pride in the program and wanting and expecting a level of excellence set my hundreds of players before this bunch. If any player (including me when I played) was not getting the job done, then they found someone who could.

:thumb: Rep points for you!!

^^^ THIS is what I have been harping on for 3-4 years now!! Some people on this board & around this program need to quit telling everyone "wait until next year" and re-evaluate their EXPECTATIONS for this program.

There is a HUGE difference in losing b/c of lack of talent or experience & losing the way that we have been recently. The writing has been on the wall for several years & so many people have been saying we were crazy for thinking there were cracks in the armor.

We are one of the most penalized teams in the nation. We have been undisciplined, uninspired & have consistently missed assignments & it is finally catching up with us.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TALENT. EVERY TEAM CAN BE DISCIPLINED, INSPIRED & KNOW THEIR ASSIGNMENTS, REGARDLESS OF TALENT.

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE COACHING STAFF to bring in players who can perform to the standard of excellence that has been set for this program. When our team has to overcome the SAME MISTAKES year, after year, after year, regardless of players, you tell me where the blame lies.

playfailstoogain
10-26-2011, 04:15 PM

Actually - i would say recruiting bunch of beasts on the OL and DL along with some corners should be priority 1.

Hemi Man
10-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Actually - i would say recruiting bunch of beasts on the OL and DL along with some corners should be priority 1.

How can you say that? Look how bad we struggled with Levi at quarterback and a good offensive line in front of him. Oh wait nevermind.

GoTroyGo1
10-26-2011, 04:31 PM
My take for what it is worth. CR is getting sacked quite a bit, he took some big shots against FIU and ULM even got to tee off on him. If his shoulder is injured that, to me, would explain his poor throwing motion etc. The coaches should sit him down if he is hurt ( that would be too sensible). If the "O" line isn't giving our QB's time to throw, then put in a guy who can buy time and even make plays with his feet (Hampton and maybe even Chitty in some packages, I have heard Chitty has a strong arm). The play calling isn't cutting it, we were starting to run the ball the other night , it was working, then we stopped? We should have run DJ down their throat, I really like that kid. He tries so hard on every play, but we don't get him the rock nearly enough. Explain why we recruited Conner? As a power back perhaps? I heard all these good things about him about him, and now he rides the pine? Not to mention Exley. I flat out just do not understand our coaches mindset, I'm not a coach by any means, but where is the logic in anything they do?? I can't wait to have coaches that actually make rational decisions! It would sure help out our football program!

Hemi Man
10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
My take for what it is worth. CR is getting sacked quite a bit, he took some big shots against FIU and ULM even got to tee off on him. If his shoulder is injured that, to me, would explain his poor throwing motion etc. The coaches should sit him down if he is hurt ( that would be too sensible). If the "O" line isn't giving our QB's time to throw, then put in a guy who can buy time and even make plays with his feet (Hampton and maybe even Chitty in some packages, I have heard Chitty has a strong arm). The play calling isn't cutting it, we were starting to run the ball the other night , it was working, then we stopped? We should have run DJ down their throat, I really like that kid. He tries so hard on every play, but we don't get him the rock nearly enough. Explain why we recruited Conner? As a power back perhaps? I heard all these good things about him about him, and now he rides the pine? Not to mention Exley. I flat out just do not understand our coaches mindset, I'm not a coach by any means, but where is the logic in anything they do?? I can't wait to have coaches that actually make rational decisions! It would sure help out our football program!

Conner is injured. Not Playing.

GoTroyGo1
10-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Conner is injured. Not Playing. That answers one of my 57 questions:laughing021:

PCTrojan
10-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Conner is injured. Not Playing. That answers one of my 57 questions:laughing021:

According to a grad assistant on the team Conner is red shirting this year, apparently it was the plan all along.

MonsterDawg
10-26-2011, 09:09 PM
How can you say that? Look how bad we struggled with Levi at quarterback and a good offensive line in front of him. Oh wait nevermind.

Levi? oh yeah, The qb that could actually throw like a QB and had accuracy. Yeah, I miss him!!

Hemi Man
10-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Levi? oh yeah, The qb that could actually throw like a QB and had accuracy. Yeah, I miss him!!
I'm sure he doesn't miss you. You seem to be full of bark, there dawg.

TroyTuba
10-27-2011, 10:28 AM

This is the truth. Play calling lost us the LSU game a couple of years ago. I turned to my wife and said the other night that Troy would not keep running it and we would lose by not eating up the clock and guess what happened......

Lego
10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Being a true fan is not just accepting everything, but having pride in the program and wanting and expecting a level of excellence set my hundreds of players before this bunch. If any player (including me when I played) was not getting the job done, then they found someone who could.

Like it, dgoebel.

Needs to apply to coaches as well:
If any coach was not getting the job done, then they found someone who could.

redwaver
10-27-2011, 12:17 PM
First of all, I wore the Troy uniform so don't ever question my loyalty to this program. My understanding was if you aren't getting the job done, you don't start. CR is struggling and if you want to debate me on this go ahead, the last two games are pretty obvious. Having played OL, I counted several times last night where he is sitting in the pocket for 5 plus seconds before attempting to throw. You can't expect the OL to protect for that long every time. They are not the fault of overthrows, underthrows etc. Are they perfect? No. But I think it is ridiculous to blame the OL and recievers for all of this, when the QB isn't doing his part either.

Go Troy!!!! I hope they do get it turned around. I am a proud former player, alumni and booster and soon to be Troy Parent. It doesn't meanthat myself or anyone else on this board has to agree with everything this team does. Troy is not a loser program, so if you are happy and proud this year, good for you. Me and several others expect more. Losing is one thing, losing the way we are is another. That being said, I am now and forever will be a Troy Fan...win or lose!! Doesn't mean I accept losing, but I will not become a Gator fan or any other school fan ever. Forever a Troy fan!!!

Now that gets one "amen" from another former player. There are simply more things wrong with this years team than can be explained by "youth" and for the sake of all that is holy, don't tell Clemson that youth makes you a loser. This is their best year in decades and they are really young. We can differ on whether or not juco players are the answer or not. Me, I think a few is good for a quick fix but HS kids gives you longer success. What grips me are the non qualifiers. You would think we would know who can't spell their name and not waste scouting time on them. I don't understand why we continually make the same mistakes over and over again. I don't understand why some who are not getting the job done are not sat. I question the discipline on this team more than any thing else because I can condone it the least. I wonder why we have gone so basic in our offense scheme and why our "Nascar" offense is like a gopher race. As a fan I have every right to look at these things and form opinions about them. That does not make me less a fan. Through all my questions, I also show up at the game every week whether we win or not, whether we have juco's or not or whether we look like we could care less or not because I and many others are loyal fans. Last week I invited a former athlete/graduate to join me at the last Troy game and his statement to me was "that is the same day Alabama plays Auburn isn't it" and I told him that attitude is what is wrong about way too many Troy grads. Now give me a "whinner" that supports Troy through it all over my buddy as a fan. It is WAY more fun to be winning and being the lead dog. It is also natural in every course of life to question when something that has been good for a long time and seems to have the components to be good again fails and fails miserably. You either find excuses or you find answers. Winners find answers. That is true in business, in our daily lives, as well as in sports. We just need to be civil and accept the fact that some have different experiences to evaluate their point of view or some are opinionated without basis and all are acceptable in a discussion if civility exist. Very few of us know what goes on inside LB's office and I have to trust him that he will do what is best for the team...not LB....not another coach....THE TEAM. When/if he stops doing that then I will question my support for him but not before.

redwaver
10-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Conner is injured. Not Playing.
I believe I saw him with his arm in a sling at the UAB game.

ksdtrojan
10-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Now that gets one "amen" from another former player. There are simply more things wrong with this years team than can be explained by "youth" and for the sake of all that is holy, don't tell Clemson that youth makes you a loser. This is their best year in decades and they are really young. We can differ on whether or not juco players are the answer or not. Me, I think a few is good for a quick fix but HS kids gives you longer success. What grips me are the non qualifiers. You would think we would know who can't spell their name and not waste scouting time on them. I don't understand why we continually make the same mistakes over and over again. I don't understand why some who are not getting the job done are not sat. I question the discipline on this team more than any thing else because I can condone it the least. I wonder why we have gone so basic in our offense scheme and why our "Nascar" offense is like a gopher race. As a fan I have every right to look at these things and form opinions about them. That does not make me less a fan. Through all my questions, I also show up at the game every week whether we win or not, whether we have juco's or not or whether we look like we could care less or not because I and many others are loyal fans. Last week I invited a former athlete/graduate to join me at the last Troy game and his statement to me was "that is the same day Alabama plays Auburn isn't it" and I told him that attitude is what is wrong about way too many Troy grads. Now give me a "whinner" that supports Troy through it all over my buddy as a fan. It is WAY more fun to be winning and being the lead dog. It is also natural in every course of life to question when something that has been good for a long time and seems to have the components to be good again fails and fails miserably. You either find excuses or you find answers. Winners find answers. That is true in business, in our daily lives, as well as in sports. We just need to be civil and accept the fact that some have different experiences to evaluate their point of view or some are opinionated without basis and all are acceptable in a discussion if civility exist. Very few of us know what goes on inside LB's office and I have to trust him that he will do what is best for the team...not LB....not another coach....THE TEAM. When/if he stops doing that then I will question my support for him but not before.

Great post. Agree with all I am with your assessments.

TroyTuba
10-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Great post Redwaver!!!

dgoebel
10-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Great post Redwaver :thumb:

DedicatedTrojan84
10-29-2011, 11:37 AM

When we put in Southward we drove right down the field. But, in typical Troy fashion we just quit what worked. Anderson dances too much and is all about the "I" trying to break big plays and never gets anywhere. 20 just runs down hill and runs over people.