PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting For Next Year And Beyond

dgoebel
10-26-2011, 08:42 AM
This recruiting year could be as critical as anytime in Troy's history. I like the Freshman we have right now. Zac Johnson is going to be a stud and Terrence Jones is going to be a good one also.We got great play from Demetri Miles, Ethan Davis, Chandler Whorthy. We get 3 more years out of them and they will be battle tested veterans next year also.

We have to recruit the high schools as aggresive as we ever had, get quality players who are qualified and give them the shot to compete next year. That is how you build a program. We will take our lumps this year but we have a good freshman core returning and if we can get a good class this year and next we will be in great shape. If we do what we have been doing, signing players who don't qualify and going out and signing 7-10 juco players who are overated, then we could spiral out of control.

Discophobia
10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
I hope the recruits see this season as freakish and hold true to their commits.

dgoebel
10-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I hope the recruits see this season as freakish and hold true to their commits.

I agree. We have commits from two Jacksonville WR's that are the real deal. I like the kid from Elba and the Daleville RB also. I wish we look at South Florida for some speed at WR. They all aren't going to FAU and FIU and there is a ton of them down there. We also need a LB like Boris and Bear that can run down these buble screens and how about signing some high school D lineman. Demacus, Osi, and Al Lucas were pretty darn good high school recruits.

trojanbrutha
11-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I agree. We have commits from two Jacksonville WR's that are the real deal. I like the kid from Elba and the Daleville RB also. I wish we look at South Florida for some speed at WR. They all aren't going to FAU and FIU and there is a ton of them down there. We also need a LB like Boris and Bear that can run down these buble screens and how about signing some high school D lineman. Demacus, Osi, and Al Lucas were pretty darn good high school recruits.

Day-in-day-out you take shots at recruiting like TROY doesn't attempt to get HS recruits in here. We are not 1st or 2nd on some kids' lists and that has a lot to do with the City of Troy and not the University. Jucos have their place and it'll be quite a while before we get to the level where we won't need them...LB will be long gone by then. Knowing CFB as you do, what is the real reason you keep dissin' TROY recruiting? I'm really curious since you're an insider (former player)...

dgoebel
11-02-2011, 12:30 PM
There is a difference is dissing and concern. I love my school. When I seen the statistics where 28 players since 2008 were signed and did not qualify it made me question why? All I hear is how we have depth problems at every position and all I have said is maybe if we had signed players that could get into school we would not have this problem. I think this is a problem that has started in the last 3 to 4 years and I don't understand it. If we have a limited recruiting budget then it seems to me all the more important to not waste time and money. Sorry that seems like I am bad mouthing my school, I am not. I want the best for Troy. I will be a parent of a Troy student next year and I will be at every home game cheering for Troy. Just cause someone questions something or does not agree does not mean they are not a fan, love Troy, support Troy, or bleed cardinal. Go Troy!!! That is the last you will hear it mentioned from me, ever.

I have also vowed from now one, I will say nothing negative period and I will post very, very little, if at all. If I have offended any player, coach, or fan, I apologize. Good luck the rest of the season and Go Troy!!!

troyaluminmichigan
11-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Just cause someone questions something or does not agree does not mean they are not a fan, love Troy, support Troy, or bleed cardinal. Go Troy!!!

Frankly, the questions are good, it shows folks are thinking. If no one is asking questions, and nodding their heads in the same direction all the time, that's the time to worry!!!

Ask the critical questions, not because WE AREN'T LOYAL, but absolutely 1000% the opposite!! Ask the challenging questions, to ensure they aren't swept under the rug.

trojanbrutha
11-20-2011, 08:50 PM
At this point, according to ESPN Scouts, Inc. (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/2653/troy-trojans), TROY has 12 commits and 5 of them are 3-star players. And Chris Hawkins (http://rivals.yahoo.com/troy/football/recruiting/player-Chris-Hawkins-131904) (former sign-and-place) is a 3-star juco according to rivals.com...Even in a down year, the recruiting is going well...

dgoebel
11-20-2011, 09:01 PM
I noticed the RB from Daleville and the OT (Garcia I belive) from Georgia wasn't listed. Did we lose them?

trojanbrutha
11-20-2011, 10:30 PM
I noticed the RB from Daleville and the OT (Garcia I belive) from Georgia wasn't listed. Did we lose them?

If they're still on Drew's blog then they're good.

EDIT:

http://dothaneagletroy.blogspot.com/2011/07/2012-troy-commit-list.html

trojanbrutha
11-23-2011, 06:57 PM
http://www.bluedragonsports.com/news/100283

Chris Hawkins (Honorable Mention All-Conference)
Hawkins was part of an offensive line that helped set a new NJCAA modern day scoring record when the Blue Dragon scored 90 points against Highland on Sept. 17.

The 6-4, 314-pound offensive guard from Florence, Ala, helped the Blue Dragons on that night produce 628 yards of total offense (327 rushing, 301 passing). The 2011 Blue Dragons scored 531 points, the most in Blue Dragon history.

dgoebel
11-24-2011, 02:31 PM
I hope he is a diamond in the rough and is under the radar. We need OL help next year but Hon. mention Kansas juco isn't impressive. Hope he is a player.

redwaver
11-24-2011, 06:19 PM
There is a difference is dissing and concern. I love my school. When I seen the statistics where 28 players since 2008 were signed and did not qualify it made me question why? All I hear is how we have depth problems at every position and all I have said is maybe if we had signed players that could get into school we would not have this problem. I think this is a problem that has started in the last 3 to 4 years and I don't understand it. If we have a limited recruiting budget then it seems to me all the more important to not waste time and money. Sorry that seems like I am bad mouthing my school, I am not. I want the best for Troy. I will be a parent of a Troy student next year and I will be at every home game cheering for Troy. Just cause someone questions something or does not agree does not mean they are not a fan, love Troy, support Troy, or bleed cardinal. Go Troy!!! That is the last you will hear it mentioned from me, ever.

I have also vowed from now one, I will say nothing negative period and I will post very, very little, if at all. If I have offended any player, coach, or fan, I apologize. Good luck the rest of the season and Go Troy!!!
Keep postin'. There is nothing wrong with asking questions about the system. As long as we don't make it personal it should be acceptable...to anyone. When you lose you ask why. Just the way things are in the real world. You can wonder and still be a loyal fan. What I can't tolerate are those that quit, go home and say wait 'til next year. Now there is a loser for a fan. Ask questions, analyze, study, inquire, whatever...that is what makes every season fun. Do so but be there every game you can. Students could have stayed for last weeks game but they went home. That bothers me!! That was one of the worse crowds I have ever seen at Troy in many a year. What is one more day to support your team? Sad!

trojanbrutha
11-24-2011, 06:54 PM
I hope he is a diamond in the rough and is under the radar. We need OL help next year but Hon. mention Kansas juco isn't impressive. Hope he is a player.

I do have a healthy respect for you, as a former player, but I do wonder about your cynicism about juco players. He was a 2-star lineman when TROY signed him out of HS. Now that more people have seen him, he's upgraded to 3-stars...that tells me he's pretty good. There's another sign-and-place lineman named Mark Beard that's rated 3-stars and I hope we get him back too...

dgoebel
11-24-2011, 07:14 PM
I do have a healthy respect for you, as a former player, but I do wonder about your cynicism about juco players. He was a 2-star lineman when TROY signed him out of HS. Now that more people have seen him, he's upgraded to 3-stars...that tells me he's pretty good. There's another sign-and-place lineman named Mark Beard that's rated 3-stars and I hope we get him back too...

I was just questioning why he was a 3 star but just honorable mention? I hope he makes a big impact for us. I just wish we would sign guys who we could get into school as freshman instead of having to send them to juco first. It is just a matter of getting 4-5 years vs 2-3. What makes a huge difference and it is difficult, is when we can get the high school recruit who enrolls early like Zac Johnson did. He went through spring and learned the system and then starts as a true freshman. I know that is difficult to do and enrolling early is even more so. These sign and place are huge gambles. I would much rather see us sign guys who are qualified and you know they are in camp as freshman. Some of these sign and place you don't get back.

dgoebel
11-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Keep postin'. There is nothing wrong with asking questions about the system. As long as we don't make it personal it should be acceptable...to anyone. When you lose you ask why. Just the way things are in the real world. You can wonder and still be a loyal fan. What I can't tolerate are those that quit, go home and say wait 'til next year. Now there is a loser for a fan. Ask questions, analyze, study, inquire, whatever...that is what makes every season fun. Do so but be there every game you can. Students could have stayed for last weeks game but they went home. That bothers me!! That was one of the worse crowds I have ever seen at Troy in many a year. What is one more day to support your team? Sad!

All the world loves a winner and they won't support a losing team. It is sad but true. Look at where attendance went at Troy around 92 up as compared to 89-91. Winning makes the fans come out, losing makes them stay home :mad:

trojanbrutha
11-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I was just questioning why he was a 3 star but just honorable mention? I hope he makes a big impact for us. I just wish we would sign guys who we could get into school as freshman instead of having to send them to juco first. It is just a matter of getting 4-5 years vs 2-3. What makes a huge difference and it is difficult, is when we can get the high school recruit who enrolls early like Zac Johnson did. He went through spring and learned the system and then starts as a true freshman. I know that is difficult to do and enrolling early is even more so. These sign and place are huge gambles. I would much rather see us sign guys who are qualified and you know they are in camp as freshman. Some of these sign and place you don't get back.

Zac is the exception, not the rule. Take into consideration the city of Troy, TROY U's location, and someone that knows nothing about this place. All things considered, so many things have to be perfect, but they're not. We all want to have the best and the smartest, but some guys have to work harder to get it so they may be a little more appreciative for the opportunity, once it comes. Guys like Kanorris, J. Massaquoi, J. Brown...they're effort guys...juco guys aren't as popular the second time around as they are coming out of HS, with the fans atleast. I think the coaches are doing their dead-level best at this thing and the real solution is a larger athletics budget and the big posters of Trojans in the pros that Mr. Ho's been preachin' about...

dgoebel
11-25-2011, 12:20 AM
I like the posters also. We need to preach to these recruits this year the chance they have to play right away. Not all will mind you but a lot of recruits are looking at where they have a shot to play early

Yes, Troy can be a difficult place to recruit to, but it is a lot more well known than it was 20 years ago. I had no idea about Troy till they invited me to a game in 1985. I fell in love the minute I set foot on campus and commited on my visit. We just have to get the recruits to look at us and a lot of it will fall into place.

trojanbrutha
12-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Looks like we're may lose Mark Beard to Arkansas...that sucks...

trojanbrutha
12-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Looks like we're may lose Mark Beard to Arkansas...that sucks...

Make that the UGA Bulldogs...looks like he qualified...

trojanbrutha
12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Pitt apparently is seriously considering life after Tino Sunseri.

Junior college quarterback Deon Anthony of Hinds (Miss.) Community College said he plans to visit Pitt next weekend after spending time with Panthers quarterbacks coach Todd Dodge on Wednesday.

"I've heard a lot of good stuff," Anthony said. "I just want to see for myself."

Pitt coach Todd Graham, who has been critical of Sunseri's play this season, recruited Anthony while head coach at Tulsa two years ago. Sunseri has one year of eligibility remaining. He has thrown for 2,433 yards, 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions this season while completing 64 percent of his passes.

Anthony said Pitt coaches are showing considerable interest.

Read more: Pitt weighing quarterback options for next season - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_771164.html#ixzz1gcOCfMyU

dgoebel
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I would say we have lost him and he could have maybe started for us. It sounds like they are telling him he can play at Pitt. Hate to lose this one. We desperately need a dual threat QB.

PCTrojan
12-15-2011, 04:26 PM
I would say we have lost him and he could have maybe started for us. It sounds like they are telling him he can play at Pitt. Hate to lose this one. We desperately need a dual threat QB.

Did you think he was going to take the starting job away from CR?

dgoebel
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Everybody's job is on the line after a 3-9 season and CR is no exception. If this kid or Barnes or Tidwell give us a better chance of winning..so be it.

PCTrojan
12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Everybody's job is on the line after a 3-9 season and CR is no exception. If this kid or Barnes or Tidwell give us a better chance of winning..so be it.

I am sorry but you are way off here. CR is 100% safe at his position unless he gets hurt. He played through injuries and never complained this year. He played with nobody receivers and kids right out of their HS homecoming. An O-line than couldn't stand up to CHHS and yet he is still on pace to be a top 20 NCAA All-Time yardage QB.

Just because he is someone you obviously have a problem with does not mean that he is not our QB.

dgoebel
12-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I am sorry but you are way off here. CR is 100% safe at his position unless he gets hurt. He played through injuries and never complained this year. He played with nobody receivers and kids right out of their HS homecoming. An O-line than couldn't stand up to CHHS and yet he is still on pace to be a top 20 NCAA All-Time yardage QB.

Just because he is someone you obviously have a problem with does not mean that he is not our QB.

3-9. Everybody is on the bubble and CR is not God. If there is some one better then they should play. That goes for every position. Nothing against him. When I played at Troy if you didn't get it done you got replaced...end of story.

PCTrojan
12-15-2011, 05:06 PM
3-9. Everybody is on the bubble and CR is not God. If there is some one better then they should play. That goes for every position. Nothing against him. When I played at Troy if you didn't get it done you got replaced...end of story.

And here you go putting words into my mouth. I never said CR is God. I simply said he has EARNED his place on this team as its leader and QB by his play on the field in tough circumstances and his actions on the sideline and off-field.

Well this is not the same Troy you played at. This a new day and we are trying to become a NEW type of team and program. We cannot look at how we did things in the past at D1aa and D2. It is a completely different world.

I will leave this thread on this note. CR is our QB and he is that because he earned it and he is the most talented person for the job we have or could possibly get based on prospects. The JUCO QB that may go to Pitt does not fit our personnel or our system. He would get 4-8 snaps per game in basically what JH did. He does not on film have a great arm or good footwork.

Mark my words CR will be starting on opening day next year unless there is some sort of medical problem and then you will wish for a year like this year. The other guys are no where near ready to play yet.

dgoebel
12-15-2011, 05:15 PM
My last post :mad:

Troy87
12-15-2011, 08:03 PM
And here you go putting words into my mouth. I never said CR is God. I simply said he has EARNED his place on this team as its leader and QB by his play on the field in tough circumstances and his actions on the sideline and off-field.

Well this is not the same Troy you played at. This a new day and we are trying to become a NEW type of team and program. We cannot look at how we did things in the past at D1aa and D2. It is a completely different world.

I will leave this thread on this note. CR is our QB and he is that because he earned it and he is the most talented person for the job we have or could possibly get based on prospects. The JUCO QB that may go to Pitt does not fit our personnel or our system. He would get 4-8 snaps per game in basically what JH did. He does not on film have a great arm or good footwork.

Mark my words CR will be starting on opening day next year unless there is some sort of medical problem and then you will wish for a year like this year. The other guys are no where near ready to play yet.

I have to agree with dgoebel on this one. I don't believe CR has a lock on the QB job going into next season, and I think Luke Barnes will push him very hard. I also think that's what he needs badly to get back to the form he had in his freshman season. He had to fight Jamie for the job even after Jamie had won the start.

I think CR goes into spring as the starter, but I also think the job will be up for grabs at that point, and I'm familiar enough with both of them to know that Luke will have as good a shot at getting the job as CR has at keeping it.

trojanbrutha
12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I have to agree with dgoebel on this one. I don't believe CR has a lock on the QB job going into next season, and I think Luke Barnes will push him very hard. I also think that's what he needs badly to get back to the form he had in his freshman season. He had to fight Jamie for the job even after Jamie had won the start.

I think CR goes into spring as the starter, but I also think the job will be up for grabs at that point, and I'm familiar enough with both of them to know that Luke will have as good a shot at getting the job as CR has at keeping it.

I'd like to see Dallas and Liam Miller in the mix...

Pee Wee 26
12-15-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd like to see Dallas and Liam Miller in the mix...

I like CR, but if someone else shows the ability to produce, then we must go with them.

I'm pretty much in agreement with trojanbrutha and dgoebel, that everyone should have an opportunity and may the best man win.

I fought for my job on every snap in practice and in games. My position coach yanked us (any of us) if we weren't producing whether in practice or the actual game. The only "favorite" or "bias" was towards production. Produce or sit - it was that simple.

I believe CR is (and should be) the leader going in, but everyone should get a fair shake to see who's best for producing.

mbolin9
12-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I like CR, but if someone else shows the ability to produce, then we must go with them.

I'm pretty much in agreement with trojanbrutha and dgoebel, that everyone should have an opportunity and may the best man win.

I fought for my job on every snap in practice and in games. My position coach yanked us (any of us) if we weren't producing whether in practice or the actual game. The only "favorite" or "bias" was towards production. Produce or sit - it was that simple.

I believe CR is (and should be) the leader going in, but everyone should get a fair shake to see who's best for producing.

I definitely agree with that. There should not be any "automatic starters" or any of those type things like that after the season we just had. Players should compete with each other every day at practice. If word goes around that there is someone who is an "automatic starter", I do not think the players below that starter on the depth chart would compete for that job every day with that in the back of their minds. But, I could be completely wrong and it could make them fight harder to prove coaches otherwise. It just depends on what type of players they are.

Lego
12-15-2011, 11:59 PM

I simply said he has EARNED his place on this team as its leader and QB by his play on the field in tough circumstances and his actions on the sideline and off-field.

1. Are you CR's brother or roomate?
2. The player that gives Troy the best shot at leading the Trojans to victory should play. If it is CR, great, behind him 100%. If someone else, great. The coaches will decide, that is what they get paid to do.
3. This is D-I football, that Mickey Mouse Pee Wee football mentality you describe above should not exist. If it does we have lost before we hit the field.

PCTrojan
12-16-2011, 09:55 AM
1. Are you CR's brother or roomate?
2. The player that gives Troy the best shot at leading the Trojans to victory should play. If it is CR, great, behind him 100%. If someone else, great. The coaches will decide, that is what they get paid to do.
3. This is D-I football, that Mickey Mouse Pee Wee football mentality you describe above should not exist. If it does we have lost before we hit the field.

I was told you would come running to your buddies support. Amazing how at least 5 other people have told me that since I called your buddy out for being who he is that you would be on my case immediately.

I will list it out since it seems that is how you like to talk

1. Let your little brother handle his own issues.
B. I do not care who plays at what positions but CR has proven to be our QB
3c. No I am not related to CR and I have only met him once.
D. Be constructive and don't complain all the time and maybe you guys won't get harassed so much.
4. I do not care what you think or say. The two of your true colors have shown through on multiple occasions and to say the least you both have a less than stellar reputation among the members of this board. Rarely do either of you post anything of substance hence you are not adding to the board. More often than not you are the center of some sort of controversy or complaints, again this does not benefit the board.
5. I hope this listing format was helpful in you being able to understand what I am saying.

redwaver
12-16-2011, 01:07 PM

What do you mean "he (juco QB) does not fit our personnel or our system"? Gracious, the thing we needed CR to do more of last year was RUN THE BALL! Everybody in the stadium knew when he faked a hand off either he was going to give it to the ONE back we had back there or he was going to pass it. If we knew, the opponents knew it. A triple threat QB is EXACTLY what our system needs. Omar is proof of that. When your QB throws or hands off every time then it is much easier to defend...and cover because you don't have to keep LB's home to cover the QB running. CR has been a fantastic QB for us. Last year was not so good. We should always look at everyone when evaluating players just like LB said when evaluating coaches "including me" he said. Same should go for Cory. No guarantees, no "he's earned the right". One great year does not get you that distinction......ever! Players should always have to earn their spot. Hearing "foot steps" behind you makes you a better player.

Lego
12-16-2011, 03:25 PM
I was told you would come running to your buddies support. Amazing how at least 5 other people have told me that since I called your buddy out for being who he is that you would be on my case immediately.

I will list it out since it seems that is how you like to talk

1. Let your little brother handle his own issues.
B. I do not care who plays at what positions but CR has proven to be our QB
3c. No I am not related to CR and I have only met him once.
D. Be constructive and don't complain all the time and maybe you guys won't get harassed so much.
4. I do not care what you think or say. The two of your true colors have shown through on multiple occasions and to say the least you both have a less than stellar reputation among the members of this board. Rarely do either of you post anything of substance hence you are not adding to the board. More often than not you are the center of some sort of controversy or complaints, again this does not benefit the board.
5. I hope this listing format was helpful in you being able to understand what I am saying.

1. You have little respect, that is a shame. I guess I have to accept you represent my university too.
2. Dgoebel, don't know him, probaly never will, but deserves more respect that what you have shown.
3. What your youth and inexperince (young and dumb) shows is that a healthly dose of respect is something that will carry you far in life.

Now for the substance: REDWAVER below stated it nicely, no need to repeat it. He is correct. This has been alot of people's thought too. If you can counterpoint the below, would love to here it.

What do you mean "he (juco QB) does not fit our personnel or our system"? Gracious, the thing we needed CR to do more of last year was RUN THE BALL! Everybody in the stadium knew when he faked a hand off either he was going to give it to the ONE back we had back there or he was going to pass it. If we knew, the opponents knew it. A triple threat QB is EXACTLY what our system needs. Omar is proof of that. When your QB throws or hands off every time then it is much easier to defend...and cover because you don't have to keep LB's home to cover the QB running. CR has been a fantastic QB for us. Last year was not so good. We should always look at everyone when evaluating players just like LB said when evaluating coaches "including me" he said. Same should go for Cory. No guarantees, no "he's earned the right". One great year does not get you that distinction......ever! Players should always have to earn their spot. Hearing "foot steps" behind you makes you a better player.

Lego
12-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Pitt apparently is seriously considering life after Tino Sunseri.

Junior college quarterback Deon Anthony of Hinds (Miss.) Community College said he plans to visit Pitt next weekend after spending time with Panthers quarterbacks coach Todd Dodge on Wednesday.

"I've heard a lot of good stuff," Anthony said. "I just want to see for myself."

Pitt coach Todd Graham, who has been critical of Sunseri's play this season, recruited Anthony while head coach at Tulsa two years ago. Sunseri has one year of eligibility remaining. He has thrown for 2,433 yards, 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions this season while completing 64 percent of his passes.

Anthony said Pitt coaches are showing considerable interest.

Read more: Pitt weighing quarterback options for next season - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_771164.html#ixzz1gcOCfMyU

On the bad for them, good for us note: With HC Graham moving to Az. St. could move him back into the Troy camp.

PCTrojan
12-18-2011, 12:30 AM
EDITED: Inappropriate post and I am sorry to everyone.

trojanbrutha
12-18-2011, 01:21 AM
It's just a family-oriented message board, guys...bring it down a notch, please.

TrojanEmpire
12-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Seriously? Some of you on here are acting like you are 12 years old. Grow up.