PDA

View Full Version : Five questions for Johnny Williams

TroyTrojanMan
10-22-2004, 01:33 AM
Has anybody seen this it was in the Mobile Register Thursday, notice the answer to the 1st question!!!

Q: Last week, when you were still athletics director at Troy State, how did you feel about Troy playing Alabama in football?

A: Last week, I was dreaming of the day we would play Alabama. Now that I'm going to Alabama that's not something I'm interested in doing. There's nothing to be gained from that (for Alabama). That is an interesting switch, though
Q: What is your fondest memory from an Alabama football game?

A: I've got a lot of them. Probably being at the Sugar Bowl game (on Jan. 1, 1979) when Alabama won the national championship in the Superdome. I was sitting in the end zone right in front of where Barry Krauss made the tackle that stopped Penn State and led to the national championship. I was also at the Sugar Bowl when George Teague stole the ball away from the Miami receiver and Alabama won the national championship. That was a good memory, too.

-- Q: Having been a college football coach, did you ever dream of being a coach at Alabama?

A: Yes I did. I spent 15 years in the college ranks and had ambitions to one day coach at Alabama. I actually interviewed with Ray Perkins in 1985 about a graduate assistant position there. It didn't work out and two weeks later I had an interview at Troy and took the job there as defensive line coach. I was head coach at Pickens County at the time.

-- Q: Is it your wish to become athletics director at Alabama?

A: Not really. To be honest with you that has not crossed my mind. The timing for me and my career, I feel I've reached my goals here at Troy. I've been part of three important steps here: moving up to Division I-A, upgrading the stadium and finding a conference. This is a chance to go home. I've got five brothers and sisters who live in Tuscaloosa. My kids have cousins they are going to be able to go play with in town. There are a lot of family ties to this position for me. Being AD sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be, being that all the decisions are left to you. I'm looking forward to being in a supporting role for a while.

-- Q: What did you learn from being AD at a school that moved from Division II to Division I-A that will be helpful at Alabama?

A: Learning how to think out of the box. Don't do the ordinary. I've always tried to be very aggressive in my approach and have been willing to ask people to help out our program. With the new construction and facility upgrades taking place at Alabama right now and all the other changes, it's really an exciting time to become a part of the Alabama athletic program.

-- Tommy Hicks http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/1098350377236480.xml

Hector
10-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Q: Is it your wish to become athletics director at Alabama?

A: Not really. To be honest with you that has not crossed my mind.

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TSUWhiner
10-22-2004, 06:30 AM
I think JW did the best he could for the Trojans..but it looks like deep down he really loved his stupid Crimson Crap team. I would see his sons wearing ball caps of the team..or I would see Johnny at WallyMart wearing that crap. Thanks JW for believing a game against them wouldnt do anything for the teams. One day guys..we will play those Alaprobationers

TSUWhiner
10-22-2004, 06:30 AM
I think JW did the best he could for the Trojans..but it looks like deep down he really loved his stupid Crimson Crap team. I would see his sons wearing ball caps of the team..or I would see Johnny at WallyMart wearing that crap. Thanks JW for believing a game against them wouldnt do anything for the teams. One day guys..we will play those Alaprobationers

TTownTrojan
10-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Just some thoughts.....

Most everyone will admit that this was a good move business wise for Johnny, and we wish him the best, and thank him for the wonderful job he did while at Troy.

However, one can't help but feel a great sense of loss. We lost perhaps the most passionate person about our program. To hear all the nice things he says about Alabama is only natural for him since it's his new job and home.

However, it kind of brings back that little "jab" similiar to the one you might feel when your old girlfriend talks about how wonderful her new romantic interest is. You think, well, I guess you had been exchanging glances for a while all along.

This season, which started out so good, has quickly turned into a thundering crash. With the loss to New Mexico State and Ark. St. along with the loss of Johnny to UA, it seems even more bleak for the moment.

You have to wonder if the new AD will be patient with Troy's current struggle on the football field, or will it be easier for an outsider to pull the trigger on this coaching staff if things continue to sour this year?