PDA

View Full Version : ATH - Robby Evans

CattouseFan
09-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Florala, Ala., athlete/dual-threat quarterback Robby Evans can bring it as a quarterback and also bring it as a pitcher on the baseball diamond. That's why he might have a tough decision ahead of himself in the next few months – play football, play baseball or play both in college.

"I love them both," Evans, who is 5-foot-11 and 194 pounds, said. "Troy has offered me in baseball. I'm a shortstop and a pitcher. I hit 88 mph this summer at one camp. I have no clue about my future, though. I love them both so much."

Evans, who impressed at the Tallahassee NIKE Training Camp, camped this summer in football at Alabama, Troy and Southern Miss. After a 4.68-second time at the NIKE Camp, he ran his personal best 4.48 at Southern Miss.

"I still can't believe it," Evans said. "I also did good at the other camps. Troy is talking to me about football, but I've not heard what Southern Miss thinks."

Evans, who can also project as a safety prospect, starts practice for his senior season on Monday. He said he's improved his game in every area.

"I worked on everything, but my speed is really where I can tell the biggest difference," Evans said.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/ROBBYEVANS5_4150.JPG

kiwan
09-13-2005, 10:42 AM
I know this kid personally, I will try to get the "scoop".

CattouseFan
09-14-2005, 06:14 PM
By Jeffery L. Biggs
For the first time in three years, the Florala Wildcats took a 34-14 victory over Class 1A Region 2 rivals Ariton Friday night, putting the Cats 2-0 in the region and 3-0 overall.

Robby Evans got the scoring rolling for the Wildcats with a 49-yard touchdown run with 9:30 left in the first quarter. The PAT was good giving the Wildcats a 7-0 lead.

The Ariton Purple Cats answered with a touchdown and point after to even the score at 7-7 with 1:24 left in the quarter.

Early in the second quarter the Wildcats struck again. This time, Evans had an 89-yard touchdown run following a Purple Cat turnover with 11:18 left in the second quarter. The PAT was good giving the Green and Gold of Florala a 14-7 lead.

The Purple Cats were unable to get their offense moving, fumbling the ball with Florala's Kyle McCory recovering. Corderus Smiley then pushed the ball over the goal line with a 10-yard rush for a touchdown. The PAT was good.

Ariton brought the score closer to close out the second quarter, with a 50-yard pass reception to inch the score closer at 21-14.

The third quarter saw no score from either team, but the Wildcats lit up the sky during the fourth.

Rick Williams scored a 78-yard touchdown run with the PAT good, followed by twin brother Ro Williams scoring with a 21-yard touchdown. The PAT was no good, but the Wildcats clinched the victory 34-14.

On the night, the Wildcats had 496 total yards, led by Corderus Smiley with 14 carries for 110 yards, and Rick Williams with four carries for 100 yards. Evans had seven carries for 95 yards. Defensively, the Cats were led by Keith Fleming with 18 tackles.

CattouseFan
10-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Florala downs Goshen Eagles

By Danielle Rice

Derrick Owens’ two touchdown were not enough to match Florala’s Jerome Tomberlin (also a Troy recruit), who scored four touchdowns in the Wildcats 54-16 victory Friday night.

“They play hard,” Goshen coach Joe Thornton said. “If they can go out there and do as they’ve been coached even when they are outmanned, how can I not be proud of that?”

Tomberlin got his first touchdown with 2:54 into the game. Tyler Rasberry’s PAT was good, putting the Wildcats up 7-0. Rasberry made six of seven PAT attempts on the night and led the Wildcats with 43 receiving yards.

Florala inched its way back to the end zone. Vance Gettis’ 17-yard run put the Wildcats within three yards. Corderus Smiley ran the ball in for the touchdown. Smiley led the game with 109 rushing yards.

Goshen got on the board midway through the second quarter.

“We moved the ball well at times,” Thornton said.

Judson Ricks connected with Derrick Owens who ran the ball in 39 yards. Owens had 37 receiving yards. Ricks connected on 12 of 21 passes for 143 yards.

Marquez Maddox ran the ball in for the two-point conversion, closing the gap to 14-8.

“There were times we had them off balance in the first half,” Thornton said.

However, any momentum the Eagles gained was quickly taken away.

Smiley’s 51-yard run put the Wildcats within five yards.

Rick Williams finished off the scoring drive from Evans’ handoff.

The try for two failed.

Throughout the season, Goshen has had problems with their kicking game. It happened again Friday.

“We had a bust on the kicking game that cost us,” Thornton said.

Florala recovered the ball on the kickoff return, which proved costly.

Less than a minute after Florala’s last touchdown, Tomberlin scored on an 11-yard run, putting the Wildcats up 26-8.

After regaining the ball on a high snap, the Wildcats had only minutes to move the ball before the end of the first half.

However, that was all Florala needed.

With less than seven seconds left, Tomberlin scored again on a 1-yard pass from quarterback Robby Evans.

The Tomberlin show did not end in the second quarter.

Two minutes into the second half, Tomberlin ran the ball in 20 yards for his final touchdown of the game, widening the gap 40-8.

Smiley got his second touchdown of the game with 5:53 left in the third quarter.

Rasberry missed the PAT attempt for the only time in the game as the ball hit the goalpost.

After gaining ground at the end of the third quarter, the Wildcats scored less than a minute into the fourth quarter.

Evans handed off the ball to CJ Chambers who ran the ball in 15 yards.

For the first time in four games, Goshen scored in the second half. However, with 6:28 left in the game it was too little, too late.

Three consecutive Wildcat penalties put the Eagles within five yards.

Ricks handed off to Terrence Wingard, who handed off to Owens. Owens ran the ball in, bring the score to 54-14.

Owens ran the ball in from Ricks’ handoff, ending the scoring at 54-16.

“Physically, we were outmatched at every position,” Thornton said.

The Wildcats outweighed the Eagles by an average of 20 pounds per man.

Goshen did improve on parts of their game.

“They didn’t take any stupid penalties like last week,” Thornton said.

Goshen took five penalties against Florala compared to 13 last week.

CattouseFan
11-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Florala Wildcats fall in second round

By Jessie Patterson_The Tuscaloosa News
TUSCALOOSA — American Christian ended the Florala Wildcats run at a state championship with a 45-22 victory Friday night in Tuscaloosa.

“[Florala] came out here and had a great game plan,” ACA quarterback Chris Smelley said. “We really had to put some stuff together and they played a great game.

Rick Spyby got the Patriots on the board early when he scored on a 5-yard run less than two minutes into the game.

Florala’s Corderus Smiley countered with a 1-yard touchdown run to tie the game, but ACA reeled off touchdowns by Johnny Shuttlesworth and Jeffrey Ogren, along with a 26-yard field goal by Luke Sheehan to go into halftime with a 24-7 lead.

Florala scored on their first possession of the second half. Robby Evans ran the ball 17 yards to score for the Wildcats.

Del Howell scored on a 29-yard pass from Smelley with 3:48 left in the third quarter. Smelley connected with his younger brother, Brad Smelley to start the fourth quarter off for the Patriots. The brother-to-brother 65-yard touchdown pass put ACA up 38-14.

After Smiley scored on a 3-yard run for Florala, ACA’s Spyby scored the game’s final touchdown on a 1-yard run with less than three minutes remaining in the game.

“We just played a great game today,” Smelley said.

Smelley finished the game having completed 18 of 31 passes with 1 interception for 277 yards.

“I’m really pleased with our kids because all week long they were really focused,” ACA Head Coach Stephen Hooks said. “It was probably the best week of practice we’d had. Hopefully we’re peaking at the right time. That’s part of what it takes to be successful in the playoffs.”