PDA

View Full Version : The Messenger agrees with us all

FliryVorru
10-19-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.troymessenger.com/2011/10/19/local-events-need-local-support/

Over the past week I was fortunate to have many events to occupy my time as a sports writer. The USTA Tennis Classic of Troy, Troy University football, baseball, and soccer as well as many high school football games. The one thing I noticed about all of them was the lack of unaffiliated support.

All of these are great event that our community is fortunate to have and the lack of participation was, to be honest, embarrassing.

This guy hits it on the head throughout the article. Makes me glad I'll be living 2 hours closer to Troy around this time next year.

dgoebel
10-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Sad but true. I will drive 6 hours in a few weeks to see Troy play but people there won't drive 6 blocks. Sadens me to no end.

JonesOxygen
10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
That was a great article by Wes Johnson.

Cane gone Trojan
10-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Awesome article...I wonder how many Troy residents even support their local newspaper and got a chance to read the article....the local support is SAD! Most prefer supporting events in Auburn or Tuscaloosa before their OWN town of Troy, but then again so do the students and Alumunus of Troy which is even SADDER! The people of Troy really don't realize what a great thing that they have right in their own backyard.

TexasTrojan
10-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Awesome article...I wonder how many Troy residents even support their local newspaper and got a chance to read the article....the local support is SAD! Most prefer supporting events in Auburn or Tuscaloosa before their OWN town of Troy, but then again so do the students and Alumunus of Troy which is even SADDER! The people of Troy really don't realize what a great thing that they have right in their own backyard.

When I went to my daughters Impact I was surprised there was no one there that discused Football priorities. My Freshman year at Texas A&M they gave me a section and row where I would be sitting, and not to be late. I was told when I could sit(never), when I could kiss my date(every score). I was given instructions on how to respond to yell leaders.

Hell we even had Friday night YELL practice at Kyle field . The yell leaders would tell jokes and have one of the coaches tell jokes . Then we would go over our praticapation part. If you have ever been to an Aggie game and heard the roar of the students. We had a blast on Friday nights before the Home games ... hit the bars / parties then YELL practice.

They call their students and alumni the 12th man and every year they have a student/player suit up as representative of the student body. Just plays on special teams . Its tradition and thats what builds programs

dgoebel
10-19-2011, 12:48 PM
When I went to my daughters Impact I was surprised there was no one there that discused Football priorities. My Freshman year at Texas A&M they gave me a section and row where I would be sitting, and not to be late. I was told when I could sit(never), when I could kiss my date(every score). I was given instructions on how to respond to yell leaders

Brought this up in another post. There should be Trojan Warrior info given out at Impact along with ticket info for sports. What can it hurt?

Lego
10-19-2011, 01:19 PM
As most Alumni of Troy know, local support for all things Troy has always been and will always be poor. The city of Troy would be a flashing caution light without the school and alot of locals would want it that way.

Not to be insensative, but do you remember the local population when you went to Troy ? If it didn't involve big tires, a night vision scope or the one girl with long hair it didn't get noticed. But in all seriousness, the locals are not galvanized by Troy because it never has been in the mindset or belief system to care from the onset.

Regardless, the only thing good about the City of Troy is Crowe's Chicken

Burn the Horse
10-19-2011, 01:25 PM
the locals are pathetic when it comes to supporting the school's athletics. always made me mad. c'mon people, get off you butts...you are embarressing yourselves. :angry013:

SOTSButterfly
10-19-2011, 01:48 PM
I have a friend, a Troy grad, who lives pretty much within walking distance of Veteran Stadium. He skips Troy games to watch Bama games on tv. Ticks me off to no end! :angry013:

Buzz Lightyear
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Do it right, Do it with pride, do it with excellence no matter how long it takes............that is the only hope of growing the fan support.......and believe it or not.......the only way it should be......................Just because Troy is there does not make one go to it......I lived in Galveston Texas where there were people who had not been to the beach in 5 years....the island is less than 2 miles wide........

My point is this: Give them a good product is like feeding your kids broccoli after a while most will realize it is good.......some will never.....some however have to try it first cause they think it sucks.....lo and behold....natures way of getting little turds to eat things good for them......The folks who cheer for Auburn and Bama are not turds.....but getting them to taste broccoli is a good way to get them not smelling like one......only kidding Sabanites!!!:bounce012:

Hemi Man
10-19-2011, 02:12 PM
There are a few locals that go above and beyond the call of duty. I know for a fact that one of them is on this board and he dedicates a great deal of time, money, and effort to supporting, and growing Troy university. If we had a few more like him you would see Troy grow. Those of us that are local should try and introduce people in the area, that aren't familiar with Troy, to what Troy university has to offer. You never know, you make light a fire in that next great Trojan fan.

troyw
10-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Do it right, Do it with pride, do it with excellence no matter how long it takes............that is the only hope of growing the fan support.......and believe it or not.......the only way it should be......................Just because Troy is there does not make one go to it......I lived in Galveston Texas where there were people who had not been to the beach in 5 years....the island is less than 2 miles wide........

My point is this: Give them a good product is like feeding your kids broccoli after a while most will realize it is good.......some will never.....some however have to try it first cause they think it sucks.....lo and behold....natures way of getting little turds to eat things good for them......The folks who cheer for Auburn and Bama are not turds.....but getting them to taste broccoli is a good way to get them not smelling like one......only kidding Sabanites!!!:bounce012:

Does anyone know where I can pickup a decoder ring so that I can comprehend this post? :taunt003:

Pcbtrojan
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
What is meant it is good for both the City of Troy and Troy University if the locals get involved. Like eating what is good for you. Of coarse it is not as tasty as Mr. Ho's buffet but it will help you in the long run. Don't feel so bad, when my father (first broadcaster for the Trojans) started trying to get the locals involved with the University in the 1950's it was worse than it is now. Like broccoli though you just have to figure out what you have to dip it in to get some folks to eat it. Sounds to me we are falling short in the promotion department. For example we have military bases surrounding Troy but do we offer tickets at a discount to Military members? What about retired military. I have several that sit near me. I am just a dumb finance major from back in the day but i'm sure there are numerous folks that post here that have some great ideas and are good at annoying the administration to take them up on it.

Look at the bright side. its not 1950 with less than 200 attending the games, a band with less than 40 members and a chancellor that wants to ban football. Oh I forgot to mention we don't play football in Pace Field anymore either!

TrojanFanatic
10-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, the local support is terrible, BUT the student support is getting better. PCB, you mention military tickets at a discount? I'm not sure, but I know the students get in free, so if there is a military student, they get a free ticket, and as far as discounts for retired military, I'm not sure. You know, I may not be an accounting major or business major, but I think we're undercharging:

Single-Game Home Pricing
Reserved Seating: $24
General Admission (End Zone): $15
Children 2 and under do not require a ticket.

15 bucks? The SEC baseball tournament ticket costs more than that! I know that if we up the prices, we lose the fans, but I think we are losing some money on general admission prices, but that's MHO.

I've said it for years, the town hates the university. The students have a hard time finding jobs, and if you don't believe that you're drinking Kool-Aide, and once found, drive them to quit because they quit giving hours. There's nothing in town for the students to do other than dollar movie night, I mean, heck, put in a freaking arcade. Even for live music on a weekend all we have is DB, The Porch, Momma G's and Potrero's (sp?) and you have to be 21+ to get into all but Momma G's I believe. This isn't a college town, it's a town with a college in it, that's all.

Trojan by Birth
10-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Going to Troy football games is a wonderful experience. First off, it is cheaper than going to a game at AU or UA. Then the campus atmosphere is friendly and you can always find a great spot to tailgate. The buildings are open and the bathrooms are clean. Getting on and off campus is easy without too much traffic. I've been to larger schools and Troy is a lot easier to allow my family to have a good time.

If you really want an intimate experience, then go to a Troy baseball game. You basically get full access to the players and coaches. My daughter got a baseball signed by all the players and photos with more than half of them. Try that at a larger school.

I love the Troy athletic atmosphere and driving 3 hours from Florida is totally worth it.

Hemi Man
10-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Going to Troy football games is a wonderful experience. First off, it is cheaper than going to a game at AU or UA. Then the campus atmosphere is friendly and you can always find a great spot to tailgate. The buildings are open and the bathrooms are clean. Getting on and off campus is easy without too much traffic. I've been to larger schools and Troy is a lot easier to allow my family to have a good time.

If you really want an intimate experience, then go to a Troy baseball game. You basically get full access to the players and coaches. My daughter got a baseball signed by all the players and photos with more than half of them. Try that at a larger school.

I love the Troy athletic atmosphere and driving 3 hours from Florida is totally worth it.

So very true!! You can have that intimate experience with the football team as well after the games. Most of the guys are really good with kids. This is all part of what makes Troy a special place.

TFan
10-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know where I can pickup a decoder ring so that I can comprehend this post? :taunt003:

This Buzz Trojan fan actually writes Rx's for a living!!! maybe THAT explains it!

GO TROJANS!

TFan
10-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Wes Johnson's article is on point about the Troy Community support of Troy U programs IN GENERAL.

There ARE many, many LOCAL fine behind-the-scene folks, business organizations and supporters who have shelled out and continue to shell out time, treasure and talent in support of our local University..they do not ask their names in neon, they do not make a lot of noise, but they understand that Troy U is one of two VITAL TREASURES to this community.. IMO...Troy University and (drum roll) US 231, the major SE/NW artery that luckily passes thru this otherwise forgetful intersection..think about it..what would this place be like without either??

Having said that, and having lived in three states throughout the SE United States in my 60 years, this is generally, the MOST myopic, "What's in it for me NOW", community I've lived in. Resistant to change, new ideas, and creative, forward thinking.... old fashioned "one for all and all for one" ideology is rare here. Surely something in the history here has cultured this rationale; but I live here none-the-less, semi-retired, enjoy it and probably die here someday.

Wes Johnson's article, may be naive about the support scene behind the scene, but right on about the obvious lack of public enthusiasm about our University.

Now, the University ain't perfect either, stepped on folks toes along the way, public domained land now off-limits to local needs, perceived preferential treatment by the City Fathers, student rentals infiltrating formerly quiet family neighborhoods, stiff, "protectionsist" rules about public usage of school facilities, all legit concerns. Often times I get the feeling Troy University is THE MOST resistant/ignorant to new ideas about how to improve local relations or programs to benefit it's own. Local PR and program information and accessibilty could improve....

Folks' athletic allegiances can't be changed overnight, if ever.. I hold no grudge against "Bammers", Barners or Gators here. Those schools built their followings over years of effort, vast alumni, large resources and program traditions that Troy U can only envy at this point.

Troy U should rethink and redouble efforts to foster buy-in from the local community, and the community could be more open to creative change and opportunities as well. There is a potential HUGE win/win out there waiting.

Lastly, I'm flabbergasted that a Troy Messenger article/employee would initiate this dialog; The "Mess" is probably the least effective community news media that I've encountered, hardly touches issues of serious community concern and breeds a readership that relishes "warm fuzziness" with scarce tough journalism, yes the Mess has room for improvement for betterment of this community as well. Kudos to Wes Johnson for broaching the subject... maybe more will follow.

There is tremendous benefit awaiting when this community and Troy Universty eventually shrink the gap and find common goals.

Go TROY Trojans!

IntgrB18C5
10-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Teachers need to give extra credit for students who go to the game and stay the entire time and figure out a way to verify that they went

It is what you make of it....I grew up an Auburn fan going to big time games and I understand what it takes to be at that level.....passion, when I enrolled at Troy i immediately became passionate about Troy, this is my first year here and I have been to almost every single home athletic event....its my school, its free, and why not make your experience the best it can be

BDM88
10-20-2011, 04:06 AM
I know that nobody wants to here this but Like all other small schools the fans would rather see Burn Or Barn play Florida at home than See Troy Play North Texas at home. MTSU has the same problem with UT. And i bet almost every single Sun Belt team has the same problem with their big brothers in the same states. Not to harp on this But East Tennessee State lost football for the same reason the Locals would not support the team because all their money goes to UT down the road. No team will Ever even when they lose take over UT's Dominance of the state.

GoTroyGo1
10-20-2011, 05:57 AM
This discussion reminds me of the movie "Breaking Away" . I'm sure some of you older folks are familiar with it. For those who aren't, the plot involves a conflict between locals known as "cutters" and the student population at Indiana University. I think this depiction is accurate in a lot of college towns throughout the nation. Having having military appreciation days for troops at Ft Rucker Ft. Benning, Maxwell AFB, with reduced price tickets is an excellent idea also. I enjoy and appreciate the opportunity to discuss Troy athletics here, thanks to all. :thumb:

Cane gone Trojan
10-20-2011, 10:21 AM
[/B] Wes Johnson's article is on point about the Troy Community support of Troy U programs IN GENERAL. There ARE many, many LOCAL fine behind-the-scene folks, business organizations and supporters who have shelled out and continue to shell out time, treasure and talent in support of our local University..they do not ask their names in neon, they do not make a lot of noise, but they understand that Troy U is one of two VITAL TREASURES to this community.. IMO...Troy University and (drum roll) US 231, the major SE/NW artery that luckily passes thru this otherwise forgetful intersection..think about it..what would this place be like without either?? Having said that, and having lived in three states throughout the SE United States in my 60 years, this is generally, the MOST myopic, "What's in it for me NOW", community I've lived in. Resistant to change, new ideas, and creative, forward thinking.... old fashioned "one for all and all for one" ideology is rare here. Surely something in the history here has cultured this rationale; but I live here none-the-less, semi-retired, enjoy it and probably die here someday. Wes Johnson's article, may be naive about the support scene behind the scene, but right on about the obvious lack of public enthusiasm about our University. Now, the University ain't perfect either, stepped on folks toes along the way, public domained land now off-limits to local needs, perceived preferential treatment by the City Fathers, student rentals infiltrating formerly quiet family neighborhoods, stiff, "protectionsist" rules about public usage of school facilities, all legit concerns. Often times I get the feeling Troy University is THE MOST resistant/ignorant to new ideas about how to improve local relations or programs to benefit it's own. Local PR and program information and accessibilty could improve.... Folks' athletic allegiances can't be changed overnight, if ever.. I hold no grudge against "Bammers", Barners or Gators here. Those schools built their followings over years of effort, vast alumni, large resources and program traditions that Troy U can only envy at this point. Troy U should rethink and redouble efforts to foster buy-in from the local community, and the community could be more open to creative change and opportunities as well. There is a potential HUGE win/win out there waiting. Lastly, I'm flabbergasted that a Troy Messenger article/employee would initiate this dialog; The "Mess" is probably the least effective community news media that I've encountered, hardly touches issues of serious community concern and breeds a readership that relishes "warm fuzziness" with scarce tough journalism, yes the Mess has room for improvement for betterment of this community as well. Kudos to Wes Johnson for broaching the subject... maybe more will follow. There is tremendous benefit awaiting when this community and Troy Universty eventually shrink the gap and find common goals. Go TROY Trojans! Well said....I know that the citizens of Troy are very set in their ways or thought proccesses.....What do you think that Troy University could do to create a 2 way bridge of support for one another?

Lord-Mustang
10-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe the University can reach out to company's like Golden Boy Peanut Butter processing that is starting up soon and CGI to donate tickets to their employees, or offer them incentives for the employees to buy tickets...and even extend that to K&W Plastics, Sanders Trucking, Walmart, Lockhead Martin, and Ft Rucker. These companys have hundreds of employees and could help boost attendence.

Expanding Tailgating, offering concerts, and pre-game activities and such would also entice more people to attend IMO.

Oh...and stop giving away tickets to HS'ers that only walk into the gate to walk around the interior of the stadium and never occupy a seat and are more worried about the next txt message from their friend or girl that walks by and just stand in the way and never WATCH the game.

TrojanWarrior418
10-22-2011, 01:13 PM
I like the idea of offering a family package of 4 tickets in the corners of the upper decks and a voucher for $20.00 at the concession stand. That gives a family some good seats and food and puts people there who normally wouldn't be there. And I do love the idea about offering tickets to the military bases and companies around the area even if they don't come back those of still people in the stands that wouldn't have been there.

GoTroyGo1
10-22-2011, 03:30 PM
I went to High School in Wise, Va. The local college, University of Virginia at Wise, is an NAIA school, and they have far more local support than Troy, especially for their size. The football games there are usually packed with hometown fans. It's sad to think about that. There might be only a few die hard Trojans, but I will proudly count myself amongst them.

jagd1305
10-22-2011, 03:32 PM
As I've pointed out previously in other posts, my family has been a part of this university since 1966 and the Troy community much longer than that. Many of the old buildings on campus that are still here (and others that are here no longer) in some manner or another a family member of mine helped in the construction. My siblings and myself attended this university and my parents were teachers at the university as well. The city and the university at one time had very close ties and as of recent years, those ties have waned a bit. For some residents, this is attributed to Dr. J. Hawkins and his wife. For others, the university involvement with the community is more detached than in the past. And yet still there are locals who still harbor resentments from the the Ralph Adams days. I choose not to go into these matters on a social forum, but sensitivites on this are still occastionaly tense. These are things that have been going on before many on this board ever arrived. So rather than point accusatory fingers at a community that fought to preserve this school's existence on more than one occasion, why not find a way to make those community ties close again? As Dr. Hawkins himself pointed out recently, "Of the 100 colleges founded in our founding year of 1887, 27 are now defunct." Don't think for a moment this community didn't fight down to the knuckle bone for this school.