PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one...

tsufl
09-11-2005, 09:41 PM
who hates the new "alma mater"
what the hell is that?
They didnt just make changes from like "Troy State" to "Troy U." or whatever
its not the same song/tune at all.
When I heard that last night I thought "thats not the song"

troy4ever
09-11-2005, 10:13 PM
They did write a completly new alma mater. I've been on the back side of the band for the last two games so I've not been able to actually hear it yet. What's funny though is that they ask everyone to sing it during pregame like we know it. Hello? How are we suppose to know it when you just changed it and nobody has the words?

tsufl
09-11-2005, 10:17 PM
They did write a completly new alma mater. I've been on the back side of the band for the last two games so I've not been able to actually hear it yet. What's funny though is that they ask everyone to sing it during pregame like we know it. Hello? How are we suppose to know it when you just changed it and nobody has the words?
I thought the same thing when I heard it I thought "thats not right" and looked to the scoreboard hoping for the words to be there. nope.

T-Rotten
09-12-2005, 06:14 AM
I was stunned like you when they asked everyone to sing the alma mater at the first game. The words are in the program, but there was no announcement about it being a new alma mater or that the words were in the program. No one around me had a clue either and it sounded like Katherine Allard was the only one singing, and even she was not into it as much as usual.

They need to bring back the old T-ROY and the old alma mater.

tsufl
09-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Id just like to know why they felt we needed a "new" alma mater

FRED_of_TROY
09-12-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm not a fan of it. Personally, I didn't see anything wrong with the old one. Before we knew that we wouldn't be singing it at games last year, Collegiate Singers had already practiced adjustments (can't remember exactly what) to make it suitable for the name change. The changes were similar to the fight song changes. I don't know why we had to go get a whole new song. If someone does know, please let me know!

BMarkey
09-12-2005, 01:57 PM
New traditions (singing, etc.) are fine, even great. I'm all for that corny stuff. I'll even sing (God help the people around me). But how can they just do it without words on the 'tron, flyers to pass out, anouncement, etc.?

It goes back to effective marketing. Where is it?

tsufl
09-12-2005, 08:38 PM
New traditions (singing, etc.) are fine, even great. I'm all for that corny stuff. I'll even sing (God help the people around me). But how can they just do it without words on the 'tron, flyers to pass out, anouncement, etc.?

It goes back to effective marketing. Where is it?
I refuse to sing this one.
Flyer or no.

theman
09-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Changes like this only happen wiht the approval of the chancellor. My guess is that it was his idea from the beginning as a compliment to everything new that is Troy.

I would agree with this change if there is clear evidence that the alumni and student body agreed or were even consulted. Does anyone know if they were involved? If not, it is a bad idea. Things like the alma mater belong to the students and alumni and administration does not have the right to change them without approval and buy in from those groups.

My guess is that it was unilateral and administration did not want those groups involved as they would have probably disagreed. Remember the poll to see if we should bring back T-Roy? Students said yes but we still have Hector. How did we get Hector, only with the approval of the chancellor.

tsufl
09-13-2005, 01:37 PM
I believe you are right.
But, for somereason my gut says to look at Janice about the new alma mater.

Hell Ive only been gone for a year and the only thing that remains from my time there is "Trojans"
Lets see how long it takes for "The Hill" to change that. The more I think about the madder I get. Change the mascot, change the name of the school if you deem it worthy but for those of us who have graduated from Troy dont change the alma mater. It may sound corny but it does mean something to a lot of people. Now there is some "new song" that one person knows the damn words to and even she isnt sure about it.

BMarkey
09-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Shouldn't this have been reported (or even a juicy scoop) in the Trop, Messenger, Eagle or Advertiser?

Sounds like a good read to me.

tsufl
09-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Shouldn't this have been reported (or even a juicy scoop) in the Trop, Messenger, Eagle or Advertiser?

Sounds like a good read to me.

As far as I know, unless you were at the summer commencement, the Cap-Poly game was the first time anyone heard the new "alma mater"
Usually this board is filled with rumors (most of which turn out to be true) but not a word was said about that one.

Swordsman
09-13-2005, 10:11 PM
I agree tsufl. I went along with the name change and new logos. (even though I am a huge fan of the helmet), but changing the alma mater is crazy. Its not mine anymore. And the mascot "Hector" is a joke.

BMarkey
09-14-2005, 03:09 AM
http://www.palmswestpress.com/images/Troy_vs_UAB_3_09_10_05/e39b9901_std.jpg
The fans seemed to genuinely enjoy Hector on Saturday night.

I also noticed the old T-Roy's likeness on the plastic drink cups. The cups were adorned with "Troy State University" and imprinted with "2004". What's up with that?

tsufl
09-14-2005, 08:16 AM
I also noticed that the fans, esp kids, enjoyed Hector or whatever he is going by.

As for the cups... did that really surprise you?

FHBrian
09-14-2005, 08:57 AM
I liked the Blue Gray game ones I got @ the Cal Poly game. I pay that much for a coke you think they could at least give me a Troy cup (even from 2004 would have been better).

Sarahbelle
09-14-2005, 09:20 AM
The cup I got Saturday from the concession stands was pretty nice. I got mine from the west lower stands.

kiwan
09-14-2005, 09:25 AM
The Cal-Poly game I got a $5.00 coke in last years cup, but lucky for me I got a NEW one at the UAB game.

bkh4troy
09-16-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't care for the new alma mater either. the words are printed in the game program.

tsufl
09-16-2005, 11:06 PM
yes they are, but if dont search for them you dont know they are there.

BMarkey
09-17-2005, 01:56 AM
How about printing the alma mater words on the cups!

The cups I really liked have a hologram of Troy players and coaches. They are probably the nicest stadium cups I have ever seen.

I still have some of those from last year and they last forever, even after repeated washing in the dishwasher. Are those cups being sold any more? If so, where?

TrojanEmpire
09-18-2005, 10:14 AM
the fight song too? I cannot honestly remember the old alma mater :oops:

tsufl
09-18-2005, 11:46 AM
the fight song too? I cannot honestly remember the old alma mater :oops:
all they changed in the fight song was "Troy State" to T-R-O-Y.