PDA

View Full Version : Leaders of shrinking Big East discuss expansion, TCU fallout

ksdtrojan
10-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Link:Leaders of shrinking Big East discuss expansion, TCU fallout (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15700460/leaders-of-shrinking-big-east-discuss-expansion-tcu-fallout)

NEW YORK -- Big East leaders held a conference call Friday to talk about expansion and the expected loss of TCU, but no decisions were made on which schools to invite to the troubled league.

Two people who took part in the call told the Associated Press that no invites were imminent because the university presidents, chancellors and athletic directors who took part in the call with commissioner John Marinatto wanted more information about the schools being considered.

pelliott
10-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Just playing Devil's Advocate

Why should Troy get an invitation to C-USA or the Big East?

I would like to hear your thoughts

I personally don't think we are ready as a total program - but I do think the foundation is being laid so that should an invite come in the near future - we will be ready.

onlytrojans
10-11-2011, 07:55 AM
As a die hard Trojan fan, I want and look forward with a to TROY moving to a bigger conference. A move that gives us bigger name schools to come to us with a more regional flavor such as CUSA could bring. That is as long as CUSA doesn't change very much. As far as the BIG EAST, we don't, in reality, have the name or drawing power they would be looking for as they add teams. Also, as great as it would be to have those schools on our schedule, think of the travel poblems for our fans to have to go to the Northeast 5-6 times a year in football and how likely their fans would travel here. CUSA with teams like S Miss, Memphis,and UAB give us the best chance of butts in the seats rivalries. But we have got to grow some so that we don't end up as a middle of the road or worse team in another conference. I couldn't imagine what this board would be like if we were just another team in a new conference. lol

JPSousa1898
10-12-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't think, after a post I saw earlier about the BoT remaining silent when SD gave a sample athletics Budget when questioned about expansion, that we will be included in any serious expansion talks this time around.

Trojan_Thunder
10-12-2011, 03:26 AM
I understand that operating an athletics program is expensive. However, I also find it difficult to believe that UAB athletics has more monetary support than Troy. If C-USA is that big of a stretch than I think one has question our whole motive to move up from D-AA or what ever its called now. If you can't run with the big dogs (because of money) than don't get off the porch. I'm not saying that the Sunbelt hasn't been good for us, but I think it's fair to say that 90+ percent of Troy fans would like to play teams like S. Miss, Memphis, etc. Troy has always moved up, it just came natural for the university to desire bigger and better things.

Burn the Horse
10-12-2011, 07:39 AM
naw, we probably won't be making a move any time soon. our location makes us low on the list in C-USA expansion, they like big markets.

the best thing for Troy is the Sun Belt improving and bringing in a couple of solid programs like La Tech that can help our the league.

Trojan_Thunder
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
One has to wonder what C-USA will look if a couple of teams move on. So, the Sunbelt, if its members remain loyal, could actually be in better shape in a few years.