troy4ever21
09-28-2011, 10:54 PM
We performed Part 1 and Part 2. :thumb:
TNs_3M4pFwM

Spiritual_Trojan
09-30-2011, 08:36 AM
We performed Part 1 and Part 2. :thumb:
TNs_3M4pFwM

After watching the MTSU band play I was blown away. They marching technique was very good, their drill looked great, and their music was clean and sounded tight.

After watching SOTS the press box was gone lol. I think this is probably one of the best bands that Troy has had.

After seeing most all of the "Top bands" in the southeast and seeing SOTS from the outside I have to say that SOTS is #1 with the Band of Blue being #2

moosicman
09-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I thought it was a great show and a good drill! I do wish they would can Paul's speaking during the performance. I've never liked the announcer becoming a part of the show (even the great Paul McNeely or Phil Kelly). Just start it off and end it. Dont preface each song. It would be so much more professional. Just my opinion of course. :)

JPSousa1898
10-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I thought it was a great show and a good drill! I do wish they would can Paul's speaking during the performance. I've never liked the announcer becoming a part of the show (even the great Paul McNeely or Phil Kelly). Just start it off and end it. Dont preface each song. It would be so much more professional. Just my opinion of course. :)

There's a reason they do it this way... I promise, McNeeley doesn't like to hear himself talk.

moosicman
10-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm sure there is. That doesn't matter to me. Were it I, I would find that which is causing this reason and eliminate it. For the record, I know it has nothing to do with Paul.

JPSousa1898
10-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm sure there is. That doesn't matter to me. Were it I, I would find that which is causing this reason and eliminate it. For the record, I know it has nothing to do with Paul.

Blame the clock... The announcement has to be exactly as long as the cadence. It would take too long to explain the show and you would loose the audience in that time. Look at some other bands who do that and you'll see the disconnect that occurs. A brief announcement before each number gives the audience a time to make a connection with the number and a chance to recognize each tune being performed. It is a carry over from a previous generation of bands, but it is one that has served the SOTS very well.

I know it's not your druthers, but I do believe a little bit of knowledge can lead to an understanding and an appreciation for the unfamiliar.

moosicman
10-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Your explaining to me why (which I know already). I'm not unfamiliar with it; I've seen bands doing since you were in pull-ups. I'm telling you IMO that it doesn't matter why. It's not that I'm not for change (though we didn't do it when I was in the SOTS) but I'm not for bad change or change for the sake of change. I don't buy the disconnect rational either. I know my opinion isn't going to change one thing but its mine. It is unprofessional. It lessens the attitude and spirit of the SOTS for me and has not served them well. I feel like I'm watching FAMU. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter about it. At this point, we are bantering it about and making a bigger deal out of it that it really amounts to. I just think it should be beneath the SOTS.