PDA

View Full Version : band 2011

Spiritual_Trojan
09-24-2011, 10:57 PM
I was highly impressed with band today. The halftime show music and drill was pretty awesome and I really like the band singing the Alma Mater during the postgame.

MusicMan
09-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks! I agree about the Alma Mater thing too, I think it's a really cool tradition and hopefully it'll continue.

SOTSButterfly
09-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Very sad there's no pit for the band this year. The band also looked smaller (and they hardly have any colorguard). The stand tunes were a little rough at first, but they got better as the game went on. Love the show this year (though it would be better with pit! ;)), and postgame was good. I liked them singing the Alma Mater too. When Dr. Walker announced they were playing the Alma Mater and the Fanfare to end the postgame, I was like, really? the Alma Mater? But I liked the singing. :)

It was also cool to hear the band play Jack Sparrow and Born this Way. :thumb:

MusicMan
09-25-2011, 10:58 AM
The reason the stand tunes were rough is we have two brand new drum majors and everyone was trying to get a feel for how we were going to work with each other. The sun also had a factor earlier in the game, I know it did for me, cause I had to watch music and couldn't see the DM or vice versa. CG is smaller because we now have a dedicated "weapons line" so that's where some of them went. We have 318 in the band this year

troy4ever21
09-25-2011, 01:23 PM
We also didn't have any way of communicating with the pressbox or CSS. So we didn't know when to play or how long we had to play. They said we'll have a headset next weekend.

The color guard is smaller because we have a full weapons line; Sabers, Rifles, and Flags.

vaman79
09-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I really enjoyed your performance last night. It was a great show! We had a couple sit in front of us who were Bama fans and didn't want to pay over $100 a ticket to attend their game so they came to Troy instead for their first ever visit. They were really getting into the band and loved the entire atmosphere. You are very much appreciated and always make us proud. Thanks for all the hours spent preparing for a great show.

JPSousa1898
09-25-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing the SOTS next weekend. I think the band is headed in only ONE direction and I can't wait to sing the Alma Mater with them soon. Perhaps some of us old timers will pull out the old Alma Mater for HC. :)

dgoebel
09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Very sad there's no pit for the band this year. The band also looked smaller (and they hardly have any colorguard). The stand tunes were a little rough at first, but they got better as the game went on. Love the show this year (though it would be better with pit! ;)), and postgame was good. I liked them singing the Alma Mater too. When Dr. Walker announced they were playing the Alma Mater and the Fanfare to end the postgame, I was like, really? the Alma Mater? But I liked the singing. :)

It was also cool to hear the band play Jack Sparrow and Born this Way. :thumb:

What is a pit? and is the band actually smaller. Hate to see that if true. The SOTS is always a source of pride for Troy.

troy4ever21
09-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Pit percussion, the instruments up front by the drum major. The band isn't smaller this year. Last I heard we're around 320. :thumb:

dgoebel
09-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Pit percussion, the instruments up front by the drum major. The band isn't smaller this year. Last I heard we're around 320. :thumb:

320!! That's what I'm talking about. Love me some SOTS. The fanfare and fight song still send shivers up my spine. Great job guys!!! :thumb:

BDM88
09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Why No Pit this year? Did they move to using marching Xylo's/bells/Marimba's? Or just not using them anymore? And are they still using the bass guitar?

troy4ever21
09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Why No Pit this year? Did they move to using marching Xylo's/bells/Marimba's? Or just not using them anymore? And are they still using the bass guitar?

The pit went to cymbals. We have 25 cymbals this year. Yes, we still have a bass guitarist.