PDA

View Full Version : Conference Shuffling III

Troy87
09-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Interesting approach to this whole thing, but would really shut the Sunbelt, MAC and WAC out.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-09-19/big-east-big-12-officials-talk-merger?icid=maing-grid7%7Caim%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk2%7C97238

NEW YORK—The Big East and Big 12 (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-09-19/big-east-big-12-officials-talk-merger?icid=maing-grid7%7Caim%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk2%7C97238#) might join together in their fight for survival.

School and conference officials from the two leagues have been discussing ways to merge what's left of them if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12, a person involved in the discussions told The Associated Press.

The Big East and Big 12 could merge their conferences to ensure they both stick around. (AP Photo)

The person, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly about what is going on behind the scenes, said Monday there has been dialogue between athletic directors and high-level officials in the conference offices.

"Those conversations are alive and ongoing," the person said............

Mr. Ho
09-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Interesting approach to this whole thing, but would really shut the Sunbelt, MAC and WAC out.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-09-19/big-east-big-12-officials-talk-merger?icid=maing-grid7%7Caim%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk2%7C97238

NEW YORK—The Big East and Big12 (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-09-19/big-east-big-12-officials-talk-merger?icid=maing-grid7%7Caim%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk2%7C97238#) might join together in their fight for survival.

School and conference officials from the two leagues have been discussing ways to merge what's left of them if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12, a person involved in the discussions told The Associated Press.

The Big East and Big 12 could merge their conferences to ensure they both stick around. (AP Photo)

The person, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly about what is going on behind the scenes, said Monday there has been dialogue between athletic directors and high-level officials in the conference offices.

"Those conversations are alive and ongoing," the person said............

The WACK is worse off than CDOA. Hawaii, Reno, Boise and Frisco State all leaving or left. So they steal Texas Western and try to steal ND40 from SunBelt - maybe invite UT-Alamo and UT-San Marcos.

FAU-Orlando go to Big East. Big East invite GaState. Miami State go to CDOA.

Meanwhile idiot Wright Water just sit around and do nothing and we still stuck with UCF-Boca.

Trojans1andAll
09-20-2011, 08:00 AM
The WACK is worse off than CDOA. Hawaii, Reno, Boise and Frisco State all leaving or left. So they steal Texas Western and try to steal ND40 from SunBelt - maybe invite UT-Alamo and UT-San Marcos.

FAU-Orlando go to Big East. Big East invite GaState. Miami State go to CDOA.

Meanwhile idiot Wright Water just sit around and do nothing and we still stuck with UCF-Boca.

Nero played while Rome burned.

Mr. Ho
09-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Mr. Ho tell you....a new conference would be better than pick up scrapes left behind

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/09/19/us/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-sunbelt/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-sunbelt-blog480.pnghttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/09/19/us/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-confUSA/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-confUSA-blog480.pnghttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/09/19/us/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-westathletic/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-westathletic-blog480.png

SWLa and CTU are easy the biggest dissapointment of Sunbelt group and WH not represented in survey so this number probably higher. And WACK will be down to 5 team after this year. $10 buck SUnbelt lose team or teams to them.

TrueTrojan
09-20-2011, 08:41 AM
One thing to think about with all of this expansion talk...

The larger conferences/schools are looking to dramatically increase their TV footprint by crossing traditional regional lines & adding schools who don't traditionally fit their mold. When did Texas, Oklahoma & Colorado become a part of the PACIFIC?

With that said, the ability of the smaller conferences to do the same is going to be minimal, at best. While increasing the footprint can bring in more TV revenue, it also costs ALOT more to travel & play these "conference" games. Smaller schools/conferences simply don't have the ability to do this on a week in & week out basis. The only time we travel a significant distance is for a $$$ game & this is by design. Even with the talk of Conference USA/MWC merging, personally, I think it would suit the smaller schools better if they busted all of the remaining conferences & then created 4 new, more regional conferences. This would keep travel costs reasonable & also create great regional rivalries that would spur interest & growth between all fanbases.

Imagine: Troy vs UAB - Troy vs Southern Miss - Troy vs South Alabama - Troy vs Memphis - Troy vs UCF - Troy vs La Tech - Troy vs Tulane - Troy vs ECU, etc.... on a yearly basis. All games that would create great match-ups/rivalries & all within reasonable travel distance to make the cost most affordable to the schools & fans.

Mr. Ho
09-20-2011, 09:10 AM
One thing to think about with all of this expansion talk...

The larger conferences/schools are looking to dramatically increase their TV footprint by crossing traditional regional lines & adding schools who don't traditionally fit their mold. When did Texas, Oklahoma & Colorado become a part of the PACIFIC?

With that said, the ability of the smaller conferences to do the same is going to be minimal, at best. While increasing the footprint can bring in more TV revenue, it also costs ALOT more to travel & play these "conference" games. Smaller schools/conferences simply don't have the ability to do this on a week in & week out basis. The only time we travel a significant distance is for a $$$ game & this is by design. Even with the talk of Conference USA/MWC merging, personally, I think it would suit the smaller schools better if they busted all of the remaining conferences & then created 4 new, more regional conferences. This would keep travel costs reasonable & also create great regional rivalries that would spur interest & growth between all fanbases.

Imagine: Troy vs UAB - Troy vs Southern Miss - Troy vs South Alabama - Troy vs Memphis - Troy vs UCF - Troy vs La Tech - Troy vs Tulane - Troy vs ECU, etc.... on a yearly basis. All games that would create great match-ups/rivalries & all within reasonable travel distance to make the cost most affordable to the schools & fans.

TMTDM v. UA's B team....one-sided fan appeal
TMTDM v. OSM...should have happen 15 year ago
TMTDM v. UAB-Mobile...novelty wear off pretty quickly for Cougar fan
TMTDM v. UL-Ruston....should have happen 15 yera ago
TMTDM v. Tulane...Tulane v. anybody have no appeal
TMTDM v. ENC...Greenville WAAAAAAAY far away, plus they go to Big East for sure

TrojanArrow
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I honestly love the Sun Belt for doing something no one else would have done, give a team in the middle of no where a conference to play in. But once Troy finishes the Arena plans for school, baseball, football, expansion will probably soon begin.

We will be foolish to put blind faith in this conference because read just about every other fan base if North Texas won the conference five times in a row I guarantee you they would have gotten a MWC or WAC invite already. I really don't see this super conference thing happening yet, everyone seems like their going to pause at 14 and there is verbal opposition from the NCAA even though they can't stop it. The NCAA still would have the power to reduce scholarships again and encourage even more players away from AQ schools.

But seriously I think we should consider applying for Conference USA instead of waiting for them to never invite us. The whole UAB would not allow it thing is overrated half of UAB fans are Alabama fans who just go because it's free they don't really care about Troy. I was just talking to a girl who goes to UAB because she was excited about Miss St game. I said something about the Troy game and she goes "Where is Troy?"

It sounds like a rant but I just want to see us with a seat when the music stops. If we apply for membership now when the AQ teams come calling for SMU, UCF, Houston, or East Carolina we would be ready for a hopeful invite.

Mr. Ho
09-20-2011, 09:45 AM
...I think we should consider applying for Conference USA.

Out of CDOA, only two schools have appeal in Pike County (UA's B team and Southern Old Mississippi. Tulane? Rice? SMU? Tulsa? Texas Western? Please, those school bring 15 fan with them and TMTDM bring 15 to their place.

TrueTrojan
09-20-2011, 10:02 AM
We will be foolish to put blind faith in this conference

I could not agree more! Wright Waters WILL NOT be out in front of this thing & ultimately has ZERO power/influence on any other conference & lacks the ability to actively pursue "outside the box" ideas.

The NCAA still would have the power to reduce scholarships again and encourage even more players away from AQ schools.

Actually the NCAA has zero power to do this on their own. The NCAA is powerless without approval of the schools themselves...the schools ARE the NCAA. Anything you hear regarding expansion & discouragement from the NCAA office is simply them trying to protect their jobs & trying to protect the NCAA from threat of dissolving if the Super-Conferences emerge.

I sincerely hope our Chancellor & AD are doing everything they can to stay on top & out in front of this expansion idea. IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. If they aren't busting their @sses to position us in the right position (as TROY, not the Sun Belt) then we are going to be in deep trouble. We have never been in a more attractive position athletically & academically, but Jack & Steve better be force feeding the other conferences with this info or we stand the chance of being left out.

ksdtrojan
09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I sincerely hope our Chancellor & AD are doing everything they can to stay on top & out in front of this expansion idea. IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. If they aren't busting their @sses to position us in the right position (as TROY, not the Sun Belt) then we are going to be in deep trouble. We have never been in a more attractive position athletically & academically, but Jack & Steve better be force feeding the other conferences with this info or we stand the chance of being left out.

I agree. I hope and pray that they are forward thinking and not resting on their laurels with plans to be content with wherever TROY may land in all the shuffling around. TROY and the officials that represent it need to be proactive in their efforts to jockey for position in this madness.

TrojanArrow
09-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah like once again we should always be sincerely thankful for what the Sun Belt did for us years ago. We could be in the same exact position as Jacksonville State being a team on the outside looking in with no home to go to. But if we sit around and wait we could be in a bad situation as they are. The rumors are that West Virginia was denied by the SEC and ACC so I don't see the Big East going away since it has 10+ Olympic sports playing schools. Retaining USF, TCU, and West Virginia if they add conference USA teams.

But even then the Big 12 is on the verge of COMPLETELY losing it's Oklahoma market with OU leaving on OSU leaving when the get the chance. Then they are losing ground in their flagship state with Texas, Texas A&M, and Baylor with their foots at the door.

Conference USA could easily lose 6 teams to both of the reeling AQ conferences. The Big 12 would likely add BYU, Boise St, and Houston. Then the Big East could likely add SMU, East Carolina, and UCF. That would leave C-USA struggling to survive and Sun Belt teams racing to get in line. First they would want Florida back (FIU/FAU), then Texas (North Texas), another team for the west division (Troy), another West division team with strong academics (Louisiana Tech), and the last team I'm not sure. There is no way conference USA goes after 4 teams from the same state and La Tech is the cream of the crop after Tulane in terms of academics. The two Arkansas schools..yeah I think the Sun Belt just survives with those four, Middle Ten, south Alabama, then moves up Jacksonville St.

TrojanArrow
09-20-2011, 01:57 PM
In the end I think we have the

Pac-14 (Texas and OU)

Sec-14 (Texas A&M plus unknown)

Big 12 -10 (BYU and Boise could bring a lot of fans back to this conference)

Acc - 14 (Cuse and Pitt) This is also hands down the best basketball conference now.

MAC- 14 (They already added Umass as 14th this summer)

MWC -12 (not sure what two teams are left west to add but it will happen)

Big Ten -12-14 (This conference could seriously ruin everything if they take Kansas and Missouri)

Wac/Sun Belt- In the next five years one of the conferences will die or merge. As of now it looks like the Wac will die with it desperately trying add anyone. However, North Texas and all the Louisiana and Arkansas schools would bolt the Sun Belt for the WAC just like Denver in an instant. If conference USA does get raided and the teams like Troy, FIU, Middle Ten FAU, North Texas bolt the conference is as good as dead. But the Wac has a higher survival rate to to geography.

Wac- Idaho, San Jose St, Utah St, New Mexico, Denver, North Texas, other Texas team, Arkansas St. Everyone gets a trip to California and Texas every year.

Tbe

Troy87
09-20-2011, 03:18 PM
In the end I think we have the

Pac-14 (Texas and OU)

Sec-14 (Texas A&M plus unknown)

Big 12 -10 (BYU and Boise could bring a lot of fans back to this conference)

Acc - 14 (Cuse and Pitt) This is also hands down the best basketball conference now.

MAC- 14 (They already added Umass as 14th this summer)

MWC -12 (not sure what two teams are left west to add but it will happen)

Big Ten -12-14 (This conference could seriously ruin everything if they take Kansas and Missouri)

Wac/Sun Belt- In the next five years one of the conferences will die or merge. As of now it looks like the Wac will die with it desperately trying add anyone. However, North Texas and all the Louisiana and Arkansas schools would bolt the Sun Belt for the WAC just like Denver in an instant. If conference USA does get raided and the teams like Troy, FIU, Middle Ten FAU, North Texas bolt the conference is as good as dead. But the Wac has a higher survival rate to to geography.

Wac- Idaho, San Jose St, Utah St, New Mexico, Denver, North Texas, other Texas team, Arkansas St. Everyone gets a trip to California and Texas every year.

Tbe

As much as they dislike one another, Oklahoma won't go anywhere without Oklahoma State. That's in stone. Expect Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and probably Texas Tech as the #4 team to go to PAC12.

gotu
09-20-2011, 03:26 PM

JH and SD are on top of it I'm sure. WW will be looking out for himself (job) in this shuffle. TU has to look out for itself. I'm sure the Big East Commissioner didn't tell Pitt and Syracuse to leave since it was in their best interest.

Mr. Ho
09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
The only conference Mr. Ho concern about is one with CTU:

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp266/TMTDM/CentralTennessesseeFailTour.jpg

pkf4troy
09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
SEC is looking at Missouri for that open slot

TrueTrojan
09-20-2011, 09:49 PM
This whole situation is about as mind-boggling & fluid as any I've ever seen. A matter of hours can drastically change the whole landscape. Crazy to say the least.

Today Oklahoma came out & expressed continued interest in keeping the Big XII together with the caveat that the Commissioner be fired & the league bring in a new leader. We'll see how sincere this is. Rumor is that Oklahoma is split between the Pac-12 & other options b/c of many who have no interest in following Texas anywhere.

Also, the Big East is meeting tonight & TCU (who is supposed to join next year) will be there as well. They've already made it clear that they won't let Syracuse & Pitt leave until Summer of 2014.

Stay tuned...

TrueTrojan
09-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Big East Meeting
- Discussed possibility of adding Army,Air Force & Navy
- Pledged to stay together
- Agreed to "aggressively pursue top-level BCS schools w/strong athletic & academic histories"

Of note: If Army, Air Force & Navy don't work out they're expected to look to UCF & East Carolina. Could this open the door....??

TrueTrojan
09-20-2011, 10:16 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Pac-12 WILL NOT expand according to sources

We'll see if this lasts & what effect it might have on the rest.

Schard
09-20-2011, 10:28 PM
CUSA and the MWC commissioners have already spoken and are forming a subcommittee to determine if their proposal of an interconference championship game would garner an automatic BCS berth. If so, the conferences will stay the same size they are presently, with the possibility of the MWC adding two teams to match CUSA's 12.

Schard
09-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Serious question: from a Troy fan's perspective, what do you think a conference like C-USA is looking for in a new member institution? How would you pitch Troy if you were sitting across a table from C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky and the presidents of, say Rice, Houston, and Memphis?

MusicMan
09-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Serious question: from a Troy fan's perspective, what do you think a conference like C-USA is looking for in a new member institution? How would you pitch Troy if you were sitting across a table from C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky and the presidents of, say Rice, Houston, and Memphis?

If it were me, I would definitely show our school improvement plan with all the construction and things going on. Show our graduation rate and how many students "leave cause of their major" and all that jazz, if it's on file. Show how many students we plan on having in the next few years, and then go into the athletic accomplishments. Athletics make money, but let's not forget that this is a place of "higher" learning

Trojan2003
09-21-2011, 12:20 AM

1. TV market size! period.

2. Troy's strengths are Athletic success, it's top on-campus athletic facilities, overall regional football interest in the area: solid home attendance numbers vs non-conference teams, + consider the regional/geographic factor: Natural rivalries vs USM, UAB, UCF/Memphis very possible, and located in a relative hotbed recruiting area.

Athletics:

Football: 5 consecutive conference championships + 5 bowl game appearances since 2004, signature wins vs BCS teams, established sth like a mini NFL pipeline (several 1st round/2nd round draft picks in recent years: Ware, Umenyiora, McKelvin, Jernigan + several other draft picks). Attendance: Average attendance should be better, however when considering home games vs Marshall (2003), Oklahoma State (2007) and Missouri (2004), attendance averages around 26,000. Troy's attendance would increase when hosting CUSA teams. Next year, Troy will host Mississippi State and Navy. The Mississippi State game should be a sell-out. Regional fan interest is larger than for most CUSA teams according to this study (source: NY Times):

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/09/19/us/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-sunbelt/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-sunbelt-blog480.png

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/09/19/us/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-confUSA/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-confUSA-blog480.png

Conclusion: The product "Troy football" is on par with most CUSA teams. Several Bowl appearances since 2004 (5 bowl games) + Troy is already very competitive when playing ranked top BCS teams (win over ranked Missouri and many close games vs top 15 teams: 28-38 at Arkansas, 34-44 at UGA, 20-34 and 31-40 at LSU, 17-24 at FSU, 38-41 at OK State etc, etc. Generally, future upsets under the CUSA flag vs ranked BCS teams are very likely, which would generate additional $ and enhance conference prestige. Athletically, Troy is capable of replacing UCF (are they leaving?) in CUSA.

Baseball

Troy was ranked last year and made several appearances in NCAA regionals in recent years. Attendance: For five straight seasons since 2006, Troy has ranked in the Top 50 in home attendance for baseball games each year.

Athletic Facilities:

Football

New planned football complex, additional seating and a new state-of-the-art video board:

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/6939/photofp.jpg

Basketball

Currently under constuction:

New Trojan Arena:

Troy University broke ground on the new Trojan Arena in the Spring of 2010. Troy University’s new Trojan Arena will contain two stories and cover about 141,000 square feet. ... The Event Level includes administration and locker areas for men’s/women's basketball, women's volleyball, and mens/women's track. Included are 10,000 square-feet of basketball practice courts. Visiting team locker rooms will double as star dressing rooms for shows, concerts and other events. A media workroom and multi-purpose space for interviews and entertaining is included. ... An interior concourse will run around perimeter of entire building with concession stands at the four corners. Food court-styled dining will provide for specialty food items. Several food/souvenir kiosks will also be placed around the concourse. ... A VIP entrance will serve suite holders and club-seat guests. A separate suite lounge will be located immediately outside entrances of six suites, and the Chancellor's Suite. Trojan Arena will have a 5,200 seating capacity for basketball and a 5,600 seating capacity for convocations, commencement, concerts and special event.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/73564_10150305068315328_194029985327_15466617_2394 812_n.jpg

Baseball

Expansions/renovations already completed, and new expansion plans are underway (quoting wiki: "There are plans to add additional seating along the right field line, extend the visitor dugout and add more luxury suites, possibly following the 2011 or 2012 season"):

In 2008, Riddle-Pace Field went through a $4.7 million renovation to meet NCAA Regional hosting requirements. ... The new complex features indoor batting cages, new locker rooms for the players and umpires as well as a player lounge and meeting area. The facility also provides new offices for the Troy coaching staff. ... In addition to the Lott Complex, numerous upgrades were made to Riddle-Pace Field. Among the highlights is a new home dugout, built into the ground floor of the Lott Complex, a new home bullpen area and a new artificial playing surface. ... The new playing surface is now lit by a state-of-the art lighting system that provides the Trojans with the absolute best lighting for night games. No other college facility in the country can match the lighting availble at Riddle-Pace Field. ... The final touch is a new outfield wall that included a “monster” in right field and a state-of-the-art scoreboard and sound system built into the wall in right-center field. The wall in left field was lowered and future plans call construction behind the wall, creating a fan-friendly seating and tailgate area. (Source: Troy athletics)

gotu
09-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Everybody keeps talking about schools being a good fit academically. What does this mean? Is it just putting lipstick on a hog? What does it matter as far as sports goes? Money is driving everything right?

JPSousa1898
09-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Some athletes will be drawn by the appeal of the academic reputation of a college to produce good graduates.

Same for musicians, that's why the SOTS and School of Music can recruit the students it does now.