PDA

View Full Version : More Conference Shuffling

Troy87
09-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC. Their applications have been submitted to the ACC.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6980644/pitt-syracuse-apply-join-acc-ranks-source-says

This has HUGE domino effects ro re-alignment.

If these two leave the Big East, that leaves the BE with 8 teams including TCU.

So, then the BE goes and gets UCF, Marshall and ECU from CUSA, and FIU from the Sunbelt to get them to 12. That leaves Houston and SMU and possibly (but not likely) Tulsa to go fill the 3 voids in the Big 12. TCU could reverse course and grab a spot, which would leave the BE still needing one.

But that leaves the Sunbelt pretty much in tact, and CUSA decimated. UTEP and UNT could head to WAC to shore it up. Rice, Tulane, Memphis, UAB and USM would be left over, with an 8 team Sunbelt, to form some kind of GCC (Ho's naming idea).

Interesting....:signs029:

newnan trojan
09-17-2011, 12:04 PM
FIU isnt going to the BE....I could see them moving to C-USA, as well as Troy....Although I wont be suprised to see FIU's Coached snatched up after this year if they have another good season!

TroyTrojans2003
09-17-2011, 12:18 PM
I even heard an announcer question Syracuse moving due to the basketball program being so strong. Yes the money maker is in football, but in FIU's case, I dont think their programs are strong enough for a move? Then again I could be wrong! Interesting, but I want to know what our peanut head leader Mr. Donothingwaters is doing to make our conference bigger? or stronger?

Troy87
09-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I even heard an announcer question Syracuse moving due to the basketball program being so strong. Yes the money maker is in football, but in FIU's case, I dont think their programs are strong enough for a move? Then again I could be wrong! Interesting, but I want to know what our peanut head leader Mr. Donothingwaters is doing to make our conference bigger? or stronger?

I wouldn't discount FIU out of the Big East. When everyone looks at FIU, they see where they've been, not where they're going. They have over 46,000 students and 110,000 alumni in south Florida. The athletic aspect of the school is behind the power curve, but has the resources to catch up very quickly. They have a well recognized medical school, and they are a research institution. Add to this, the Miami market in which they reside, probably makes them the better Miami school in the area than the one across town that left the Big East a few years back, and is currently under HEAVY scrutiny by the NCAA.

newnan trojan
09-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote me on this.....Next year FIU will be back to their loser selves....

TroyTuba
09-17-2011, 01:15 PM

What an ignorant announcer.....it's not like the ACC is a sorry basketball conference.

Troy Bob
09-17-2011, 03:19 PM
If you have not attended a game at FIU this will be hard for you to understand!! I attended our last game there and I think there was more people working the Concession Stands and Security than FANS!! I went to the Concession Stand to get a HOT Dog and wound up with a Cuban Taco. NOT A FOOTBALL ATMOSPHERE IN A ROUND STEEL FLAT STADIUM!! I just dont see any long time success there for Football and their Long Time Track Record is missing completely. Then look at our History in Football--Nothing but Traditions of Winning!!! I would take Troy in any Conference Re Alignment. FIVE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS, NUMEROUS BIG D1 WINS PLUS DIVISION 1AA PLAYOFF APPEARANCES!! A WINNING TRADITION!!

Troy87
09-17-2011, 03:37 PM
If you have not attended a game at FIU this will be hard for you to understand!! I attended our last game there and I think there was more people working the Concession Stands and Security than FANS!! I went to the Concession Stand to get a HOT Dog and wound up with a Cuban Taco. NOT A FOOTBALL ATMOSPHERE IN A ROUND STEEL FLAT STADIUM!! I just dont see any long time success there for Football and their Long Time Track Record is missing completely. Then look at our History in Football--Nothing but Traditions of Winning!!! I would take Troy in any Conference Re Alignment. FIVE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS, NUMEROUS BIG D1 WINS PLUS DIVISION 1AA PLAYOFF APPEARANCES!! A WINNING TRADITION!!

The problem is that today it's not about tradition. It's about "What have you done for me lately?"

I think most people are looking at the conference re-alignment as something like a volcano that sits dormant for centuries then wakes up spouts a few puffs of smoke, then blows its top, and then goes dormant for a few more hundred years. In other words, once the re-alignment is complete everything will die back down and settle back in for 50 years.

I don't see that.

This is going to become a more dynamic and fluid situation as long as schools continue to move from one division to another.

Over the next 6 years, there are 36 schools looking to START football programs. There are several looking to move up in division. What we see right now, and what we project to happen is based on that which is within a set of rules everyone has played under for a hundred years. Those rules are changing, and will evolve as more TV, more money and more teams trying to get their piece throw their hat in the ring.

FIU is placing their school in a position to be high profile enough to get the invite into a desperate Big East.

Here's my prediction.....In 5-10 years FIU will be the next Boise State. They don't have to be good for long....just long enough to get their opportunity.

Brotherofanalum
09-17-2011, 03:49 PM
The problem is that today it's not about tradition. It's about "What have you done for me lately?"

I think most people are looking at the conference re-alignment as something like a volcano that sits dormant for centuries then wakes up spouts a few puffs of smoke, then blows its top, and then goes dormant for a few more hundred years. In other words, once the re-alignment is complete everything will die back down and settle back in for 50 years.

I don't see that.

This is going to become a more dynamic and fluid situation as long as schools continue to move from one division to another.

Over the next 6 years, there are 36 schools looking to START football programs. There are several looking to move up in division. What we see right now, and what we project to happen is based on that which is within a set of rules everyone has played under for a hundred years. Those rules are changing, and will evolve as more TV, more money and more teams trying to get their piece throw their hat in the ring.

FIU is placing their school in a position to be high profile enough to get the invite into a desperate Big East.

Here's my prediction.....In 5-10 years FIU will be the next Boise State. They don't have to be good for long....just long enough to get their opportunity.

That's bull. No way will FIU be good. Any time within the next 25 years.

newnan trojan
09-17-2011, 03:52 PM
heres my prediction....FIU will either win the SBC this year or come awefully close to it or Tie with Us or somebody. FIU will have a 10+ win season this year....Then FIU will lose their head coach to a bigger school and higher pay. FIU loses TY Hilton and next year they have a losing season.... Thats what I think will happen....

P.S. See FAU from 2007 to Now.

Troy87
09-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Consider this:

FIU has already beaten Louisville...a Big East team. Could FIU beat UConn or Rutgers this season? Probably.

With ESPN just announcing at 3:40 PM that Pitt will announce as soon as today, their move to the ACC, that means Big East has to start looking at their prospective replacements.

Remember, FIU doesn't have to be good very long. Just long enough to get the opportunity. Once the opportunity is offered, the dominos begin to fall. Follow this scenario; Big East invites several teams from CUSA and also FIU to join because of defection by Pitt, and possibly Syracuse. This invite could come by the end of this season. Remember, FIU has already proven it can compete against current Big East schools on the road.

Ok, so FIU gets invited to Big East. Why would Cristobal leave? FIU just jumped to an AQ conference, which means better games for FIU, which means more $$$ for FIU, which means higher profile, and better players going to FIU, and on, and on. FIU has the student body to support the up front capital needed to make the move to the Big East. Remember this is a school that emplys Isiah Thomas as their Basketball coach.

Here's the key to the whole thing. The Big East has to survive the next 6-12 months. If they don't survive, FIU stays a Sunbelt team, and Cristobal gets his opportunity somewhere else.

Life is always about being in the right place at the right time, and FIU is in the right place at the right time, right now.

Late breaking news -- 4:10 PM Baylor and Iowa St. have contacted the Big East as potential back-ups if Pitt is leaving.

newnan trojan
09-17-2011, 04:18 PM
UCF will get Big East bid before FIU...One win over a BCS team UL, a UL team that has gone WAY down hill over the years does not impress me! UL could lose to 3 or 4 Belt teams this year!

Trojans1andAll
09-17-2011, 04:37 PM
How come we're always talking about some other school to become the next big thing, but never our own? I know, I know, TV market, enrollment, yadda yadda, but why is anyone going to give us a chance when we never really give ourselves a chance?

Troy87
09-17-2011, 04:39 PM
UCF will get Big East bid before FIU...One win over a BCS team UL, a UL team that has gone WAY down hill over the years does not impress me! UL could lose to 3 or 4 Belt teams this year!

Oh! UCF is a definite choice of the Big East if they survive. That's their first choice, IMO. Like I said before, with the potential of this snowball which looks to be about to begin rolling down the hill, I think the Big East is going to try to add 5-7 schools in order to survive. With the Big 12 down to 9 schools, and potentially OU and OSU looking to head west to the PAC12, there's alot about to change.

Here's the key. The SEC, the Big 10, the ACC and the PAC 12 are all stable with 13, 12, 13 (w/ Pitt), and 12 teams respectively. The Big 12 and the Big East are unstable with 9 teams each.

The Big East is the weakest AQ conference, but appears more stable than the Big 12. If OU and OSU head west leaving 7 in the Big 12, then the Big 12 probably dies, and the other AQ conferences feed off the carcuses of the remains. If the Big 12 can convince OU to stay, OSU stays, and then the Big 12 poaches CUSA and picks up BYU, and maybe even gets TCU back into the deal and makes the Big East needing 5 teams.

The scenarios then become countless.

With Pitt seemingly leaving the Big East to the ACC, I think the next move is going to be whether the Big 12 reaches out to gather up schools before the Big East goes hunting. If the Big 12 can secure OU, then the Big East may not survive. If the Big East goes hunting first, the Big 12 may not survive.

Why go to the Big East? They have a low "entry fee" and they are a bargain price for an AQ conference. i.e. low cost, but a little risky, but big pay off if it works out.

It's about to be a roller coaster ride all season long.

newnan trojan
09-17-2011, 04:43 PM
I have a gut feeling that once this thing settles down Troy will be picked up by C-USA.

Troy87
09-17-2011, 04:49 PM
How come we're always talking about some other school to become the next big thing, but never our own? I know, I know, TV market, enrollment, yadda yadda, but why is anyone going to give us a chance when we never really give ourselves a chance?

Our only upward mobility right now is to CUSA once it gets raided. We don't have the $$$$ needed to move an AQ conference, even the Big East.

Again, take the comparison of FIU to Troy.

We have 7,100 students in Troy, and 30,000 plus world-wide. About 140,000 Alumni total world-wide.

FIU has 46,000 students and 110,000 Alumni in S. Florida alone.

Troy has about $25M in endowments as of 2010.
FIU has almost $100M in endowments as of 2010. 4x as much as Troy. This is "buying power" and leverage when looking at ability to expand and add resources.

This is the bottom line.....the bottom line.

BTW, FAU has $156M in endowments, which leads the SBC, and Troy is last in the SBC.

Troy87
09-17-2011, 04:49 PM
I have a gut feeling that once this thing settles down Troy will be picked up by C-USA.

I think so too.

I think the base of CUSA will have USM, Memphis, Rice, Tulane, UAB, Troy, MTSU, Ark. St., UL, ULM, USA, WKU and FAU.

UNT and UTEP go west.

If FIU doesn't go BE, then they stay in CUSA/SBC amalgam.

newnan trojan
09-17-2011, 04:59 PM
I think Southern Miss isnt going anywhere.

Burn the Horse
09-17-2011, 05:00 PM
whatever we do, I'd like to stay in the same Conference as MTSU and stAte. the three of us belong together IMO.

newnan trojan
09-17-2011, 05:00 PM
MTSU I can Kinda see....But why StAte???

Burn the Horse
09-17-2011, 05:02 PM
I don't know, I just always liked them. always a good game.

newnan trojan
09-17-2011, 05:03 PM
I dont want to stay in 1 conference just because MTSU isnt going or StAte isnt going.......If the Big East did come a calling Troy and not MTSU and StAte I would be saying BYE!!

Burn the Horse
09-17-2011, 05:04 PM
well of course! I was just putting my preference out there. I could see C-USA bringing in multiple Belt programs at once to fill needs. I was voicing my opinion concerning that scenario.

Burn the Horse
09-17-2011, 05:05 PM
the most compelling scenario could be C-USA being raided and the MAC and Belt staying put. that would pretty much just end that league and give us and the MACsters the ability to snatch up any leftover we wanted.

I would LOVE to bring Southern Miss and Memphis in to the Sun Belt.

Trojans1andAll
09-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Our only upward mobility right now is to CUSA once it gets raided. We don't have the $$$$ needed to move an AQ conference, even the Big East.

Again, take the comparison of FIU to Troy.

We have 7,100 students in Troy, and 30,000 plus world-wide. About 140,000 Alumni total world-wide.

FIU has 46,000 students and 110,000 Alumni in S. Florida alone.

Troy has about $25M in endowments as of 2010.
FIU has almost $100M in endowments as of 2010. 4x as much as Troy. This is "buying power" and leverage when looking at ability to expand and add resources.

This is the bottom line.....the bottom line.

BTW, FAU has $156M in endowments, which leads the SBC, and Troy is last in the SBC.

Like I said, "...TV market, enrollment, yadda yadda..."

It's just that it starts to bother me when we so casually accept younger, less achieved programs passing us by. I know we can't do anything about location and enrollment, but there's just something about saying "yep, they'll be better than us real soon." that really bothers me. Not trying to hijack or start a flame war, but just getting it out of my system.

newnan trojan
09-17-2011, 05:43 PM
I dont think anyone thats a younger program than us is passing us by (FIU).
Like I already stated FIU will be back to loserville next year!

Mr.E_205_Legion
09-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't know, I just always liked them. always a good game.

... and it is actually a nice place (location and FANS) for an away game :-)

Trojans1andAll
09-17-2011, 06:32 PM
I dont think anyone thats a younger program than us is passing us by (FIU).
Like I already stated FIU will be back to loserville next year!

I think that will happen too. Hilton will graduate, and Cristobal will only last this year or another if he keeps winning.

Pcbtrojan
09-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I think UCF will the nod over FIU to the Big East. They will have to improve on their basketball facilities to be competitive. As to the two earlier teams that left to the ACC my wife is from upstate NY. I had the opportunity to see a game in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. SU struggled and had to come from behind to beat RHODE ISLAND. Basketball is the big money maker so it is a good move for SU. I wish we could open up the season every now and then with a game we can win.
I see teams leaving the Belt for CUSA due to CUSA has more bowl contracts, more recognition. I like the Belt but I don't see Belt teams turning down CUSA to stay in the Belt.

TroyTrojans2003
09-18-2011, 09:47 AM
wierd cause I agree with you guys about Arkansas State! I actually like watching them when we arent playing. I think of them as U. of Arkansas lil brother. They probably dont get the same respect either..comparing it to us Alacrapa and Aublow...and Troy. Anyway, I hope during this conference realignment, somebody realizes what we have here at Troy..and invite us in..my two cents worth

ThePowerMan
09-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Big East will get raided of nearly all football schools and become basketball only league. Not sure who picks up their AQ for the BCS games but it won't be Sunbelt. ACC and SEC add enough teams to have 16 team leagues. BIG 10 re-alligns to become BIG 10 +6. THey raid the western CUSA teams. CUSA bites the dust and the new - improved Sunbelt emerges with 16 teams. YES you heard it here first.

Bowls will re-negotiate bowl games because of all the turn-over. The BCS games fail because of all the reallignment. THe new PAC-16, BIG 10+6, SEC, ACC, decide they don't need the NCAA and form a new CFL (College Football League) and call the winner of their mini-playoff the College World Champion.