PDA

View Full Version : K/P - Chad Cunningham

CattouseFan
09-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Chad Cunningham was named to the GASports/Scout.com All-State team as a Punter/Kicker, and he has picked up a big offer. Purdue is the latest team to offer Cunningham a scholarship.

Cunningham is an excellent athlete that also stars as a quarterback for his Dawson County team.

Troy and Air Force have also offered Chad a scholarship.

I am torn because I am currently a student at Purdue university and I follow their program closely. I would be happy either way.

CattouseFan
09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
2005 - High School Football:
A big, strong kicker with a great leg on kickoffs, Cunningham was 60/65 on PAT's as a junior and 9/11 on field goals with a long of 46. He is an excellent all around athlete that also plays quarterback. He passed for over 1,000 yards and combined for 13 touchdowns passing and rushing.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/CHADCUNNINGHAM8_10150.JPG

He has a 3.6 GPA

faithintsu
09-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Good Athlete it sounds like!!

ksdtrojan
09-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Sounds good!!! Hopefully we have a chance to land him.

CattouseFan
09-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Georgia kicker Chad Cunningham, who was offered recently by Purdue after he camped in West Lafayette this summer, said this week that he plans to officially visit on the weekend of Oct. 15, which is Northwestern weekend.

Purdue needs a placekicker next year, but doesn’t seem to have Cunningham pegged into any one category.

"They’re just recruiting me as a kicker," Cunningham said. "I think I can do all three."

The three, of course, would be placekick, punt and kick off. (BN)

CattouseFan
10-11-2005, 07:14 PM
For two years now, Purdue has been seeking a placekicker to come in and fill the void that will be left next season by the graduation of current senior Ben Jones.

This weekend, the player Joe Tiller and Co. have apparently targeted to do just that will be on campus for an official visit.

Chad Cunningham, a 6-foot-3, 210-pounder from Dawson County High School in Dawson, Ga., will be visiting for this weekend's Northwestern game.

"I'm really looking forward to it," Cunningham said, "meeting the coaches, the players and just seeing how everything is up there."

Purdue offered Cunningham a scholarship early this fall, after he'd attended camp in West Lafayette over the summer. He also has claimed offers from Maryland, Air Force and Troy State.

Obviously, with Jones being a senior, the Boilermakers can offer the opportunity to kick right away, though that doesn't seem to be a make-or-break factor for Cunningham.

"It's not that big a deal if I have to sit out a year," he said. "It's not like I'm going to get worse or anything.

Rivals.com ranks Cunningham as the nation's ninth-best kicker.

With kicker being one of its pressing needs for 2006, Purdue would certainly like to get that position squared away promptly. But Cunningham doesn't expect anything to happen this weekend.

"Probably not this weekend," Cunningham said, when asked if he might commit this weekend. "I might just wait and see what happens from here."

This past weekend was a big one for Cunningham, who booted a 23-yard game-winning field goal with 25 seconds left, lifting Dawson to a 15-14 win over East Hall. Cunningham, who also plays quarterback, finished with 126 passing yards, 86 rushing yards and three field goals.

I will wear my Troy shirt around campus and hopefully I will run into him. I'm sure he wouldn't know what to think.

Trojan2003
10-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I will wear my Troy shirt around campus and hopefully I will run into him. I'm sure he wouldn't know what to think.

Yeah, he would be really confused...
But seriously, I don't think he's coming.

Btw, how is life at Purdue ? I have started to make plans for Graduate School (Business) in the future, and Purdue is definitely on my list.

CattouseFan
10-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Its going real well, thanks for asking. Purdue was just listed as the best listed as the best business management school in the region. I am taking biology at Purdue, but I might change my major to business mangagement after this semester.

Trojan2003
10-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Here, in Scotland - my university is very similar to Purdue, it has a world class engineering program, and the business school is very famous in Europe.
But they don't play Football here :cry:

CattouseFan
10-12-2005, 07:26 PM
RABBITTOWN - It's not necessarily how often you score, but when you score that can make the difference. At least, that was Dawson County's motto Friday night at East Hall Stadium.

The Tigers trailed for a majority of the game, but still wound up with a 15-14 win, thanks to a 22-yard field goal from Chad Cunningham with 26 seconds remaining.

For three quarters, however, it was an ugly game for Dawson County.

After falling behind 3-0 early, East Hall (4-3, 3-2) came storming back, thanks to quarterback Lee Coleman.

Coleman had 143 passing yards in the first half, including a 15-yard touchdown pass to Walter Hill in the second quarter to give the Vikings a 14-3 lead. Coleman also led the Vikings down the field for their first scoring drive of the night, ending with a 5-yard run by Keith McClary.

Coleman ended the game with 218 yards though the air and the touchdown pass. He also added 45 yards on the ground.

Dawson County (6-2, 4-2) added another field goal from Cunningham with five seconds in the half to make it a 14-6 deficit at the half.

But the sloppy, yet dry second half, belonged to Dawson County.

The third quarter included a combined three fumbles, not to mention several penalties, and a turnover on downs for the Tigers, at the East Hall goal line .

But Dawson County regrouped to score its first touchdown of the game - a 28-yard pass to Shawn Sosebee. But staying with the sloppy theme of the quarter, the Tigers were forced to go for a two-point conversion from the 22-yard line, after two penalties. The conversion failed, leaving East Hall with a 14-12 lead.

Coleman only completed two passes in the fourth quarter, thanks to Dawson County's re-energized defense. Meanwhile, Cunningham continued to get stronger.

In the fourth quarter alone, Cunningham accounted for 111 of the team's 123 yards, including 64 yards rushing.

The Tigers' winning drive started on their own 15-yard line, with less than five minutes to play. It ended with Cunningham's third field goal of the game, to finally sink the Vikings.

Cunningham's overall numbers weren't spectacular (117 yards passing, 80 yards rushing), but his fourth quarter display won the game for Dawson County, which leapfrogged over East Hall in the region 8-AA standings.

CattouseFan
10-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Louisville and Maryland have also offered Chad now.

CattouseFan
10-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Punter/Athlete Chad Cunningham picked up a big offer this week as the Louisville Cardinals have thrown their name into the hat. Cunningham now has offers from Air Force, Louisville, Maryland, Purdue and Troy. His list of favorites includes those schools plus Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

Cunningham plays quarterback as well as kicking and punting, and he has helped lead his Dawson County team to a 6-2 record

CattouseFan
10-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Two weeks after his official visit to Purdue, Georgia kicker Chad Cunningham has another option to consider.

Louisville recently offered the 6-foot-3, 210-pound Dawsonville, Ga., kicker/punter/quarterback, adding to an offer list that previously included Purdue, Maryland, Air Force and Troy State.

Cunningham made his first official visit the weekend before last to Purdue, who's recruiting him to step in at place-kicker in 2006 to fill the void that will be left by the graduating Ben Jones.

Cunningham said the early opportunity presented by the Boilermakers is an eye-catcher.

"It definitely is," he said. "But I'm not really ready to make a decision right this second. I'll probably wait a little longer."

That could mean official visits to Louisville and/or Maryland, though Cunningham said he's unsure of when they might be taken.

His first official visit was a good one.

"It was great, a lot of fun," said Cunningham, who was hosted by fellow Georgian Alec Huber, a freshman tight end. "I loved it. I loved the atmosphere there with all the fans in the stadium. And I really liked all the coaches and players."

Thus far this season, Cunningham has made 6-of-8 field goals (with one blocked), with a long of 49, and 19-of-20 point-after attempts, with his only miss blocked. Cunningham has also averaged 45.8 yards per punt and 65.1 yards per kickoff, with 30 of his 39 kickoffs going for touchbacks.

As Dawson High School's quarterback, he's thrown for 1,050 yards and 12 touchdowns.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/892/288085.jpg

TrojanWar
10-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Why even mention this guy? He has no loyalty to Troy and he has offers from some of the better D1A schools...including Louisville. Again, thanks for the information, but let's focus on guys that we have a good chance to land in Troy.

Swordsman
10-25-2005, 10:54 PM
War I'm getting a little tired of you downing CattouseFan everytime he posts about these recruits. It would be impossible to focus on recruits that we have a chance to get. All of these athletes are going to list major schools because that is their dream. It doesn't mean they are automatically going there. If you want to get down to it, Troy is only going to get 1 and 2 star prospects. Our recruiting is so bad we are fighting Jax St. for recruits. That is pathetic. If you don't want to read about these guys then don't open the thread. CattouseFan, Thank you for the information and I hope someday Troy will take recruiting more serious and do a better job with it.

CattouseFan
10-25-2005, 11:06 PM
You are very welcome. I do not have any harsh feelings towards War, it is just hard to find any information on prospects interested in Troy. I am glad to post any information I find on these prospects even if there is little chance they will go to Troy.

TrojanWar
10-26-2005, 08:33 AM
War I'm getting a little tired of you downing CattouseFan everytime he posts about these recruits.

Congratulations. I hope you feel better for airing that out. Actually, I read everything posted on GTT.com. I think I'm supposed to.

I appreciate Cattouse for gathering and posting all of the recruiting information. Obviously I read through all of it, and sometimes, I just can't understand what our recruiters are doing. It has nothing to do with Cattouse at all. It may sound like it, but I'm not shooting the messenger. Troy has this mentality that they can go for big recruits outside of our area that are being offered by every big school in America. How about we start working on the big time kids a little closer to home early in the fall and not wait until January. These kids know more about Troy and have seen the growth of the program. They are more likely to become Trojans than some kid from another state (other than Florida) with major offers. I say we should focus on Alabama and all of Florida for our prime recruits. I know Bob harps on recruiting South Florida an awful lot, but he's right. There are so many good D1A football prospects in South Florida and no where near enough D1A schools to sign them all in the state of Florida. Outside of FSU, Miami, and UF, all of the other D1A schools sort of run together as near equals in the mind of a recruit (for the most part). Troy is a great alternative for some of these excellent recruits. Think about it. The big 3 only sign about 60 to 70 players total. That leaves a lot to go around.

cville
10-26-2005, 09:04 AM
I hope our recruiters are going after kids that are offered by other D1A schools. During the 80's that was Southern Mississippi's recruiting plan. They would follow Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and LSU recruiters around and offer every kid that got an offer from one of those schools. If for some reason the "big school" fell through, there was Southern Miss waiting with open arms. I think it worked pretty well for them.

cville

TrojanWar
10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
You are right cville. I totally agree, but it just seems that we should be doing a better job of recruiting closer to home as well. I should have made that a little clearer. That was sort of my point with South Florida. A lot more than 60 or 70 kids want to play at the big 3 in-state schools. Obviously a ton will be left out and will have to go elsewhere. Troy should be there scooping them up after UF, FSU, and Miami run out of scholarships. Don't think just because they can't sign more kids that the rest are just D1AA fodder. There are some big time prospects down there. That's why South Florida and FAU have had such quick success after starting programs from nothing.

Swordsman
10-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Congrats on becoming a moderator War. You are all powerful now. You don't have to read everything, that is why there are three others to help out. But, I do agree that recruiting needs to start before January and we need to recruit more closely to home. I also agree with cville's statements. No hard feelings War, but with you being a moderator you should appreciate the info and not give negative feedback for the hard work.

TrojanWar
10-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Who are you and what is your deal? When did I say I was all powerful? Do I know you? Are you saying because there are a total of 4 moderators that each of us should only read 25% of the posts? How do we determine which ones we will read? I want to hear this great plan.
Have I not said over and over that I appreciate the information and work Cattouse puts into this? This is a message board my friend. Most of what is written is opinion. If you don't like my opinions, then don't read my posts. I think that would be taking your own advice. Obviously this is not what I am asking you to do.
Sure, we don't always agree with each other and that's fine. You said I was always cutting down Cattouse. I have never done such a thing. If you don't like my opinion, state yours and why you disagree. That's all you have to do.

FRED_of_TROY
10-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Geez Swordsman...LAY OFF! Cattousefan and TrojanWar have no hard feelings between them. Both are regular members of this board who can respect each others opinion without getting their panties in a wad. For some reason you have done just that and nobody has even said anything to you. What is your problem? :?

ksdtrojan
10-31-2005, 02:43 PM
KICKER CHAD CUNNINGHAM^ 6-3, 210, 4.7 of Dawsonville, Dawson Co., GA - Cunningham is an outstanding kicking prospect and he also is a pretty good quarterback prospect. After viewing the total highlight tape, I'm not sure, but he just might be able to play quarterback at the next level. Their passing game was highlighted with a lot of "dinks" and "fades" which Cunningham performed with great precision. He is also a very good runner and he scored on some long runs, including a 65-yard touchdown. One pass over the middle was as good as you will see from any of the Top 10 quarterbacks in the country. His kicking accomplishments would be too hard to turn down if a school was seriously looking for a kicking prospect. He kicked a 46-yard field goal in a game, but at the recent Chris Sailer National Kicking Camp, he was voted as the #8 Kicker in the country. I've got to see the first seven, if they are better than Cunningham. His hang-time on punts is also exceptional. He is already fully qualified with a 3.6 GPA and a 980 on his SAT Test. I really like this kid as a kicker and I have invited him to kick for the East in the 2006 Coaches All-American Bowl Game Classic and he has accepted. Offers: None. APRIL 4 UPDATE: Cunningham kicked a 54 yarder at Georgia Tech Combine last spring. He was 6 of 7 in the combine with a 54 yarder. He kicked 4 of 5 kick offs in the end zone with a 63 yard average. Best kick 69 yards 3.8 seconds.(2006 ALL-STAR BOWL GAME CLASSIC)

from Max Emfinger web site

CattouseFan
10-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Chad Cunningham, a 6-foot-3, 215-pound punter/kicker from Dawson County H.S. in Georgia received a scholarship offer from Louisville late last week, to go along with the full rides he already had from Air Force, Maryland, Purdue and Troy State.

Not only is Cunningham the special teams star for his school, but he is also the starting quarterback. He's thrown for more than 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns his senior campaign. But what impresses college coaches most is Cunningham's leg. Almost 80 percent of his kickoffs go for touchbacks, and he is averaging more than 46 yards per punt, including a 70-yarder earlier this season.

Where does he get that kind of leg strength? "I don't know," he admitted with a laugh. "I've been kicking since the 7th grade, and I've been doing it ever since."

He said he enjoys all the attention he's been getting, but doesn't have a favorite just yet. "I'm hearing from all the schools that have offered," he said when asked which schools have contacted him the most. "There's a couple more who might offer, so I'm hearing from them, too." He named Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Baylor as schools that haven't offered yet but continue to call.

His latest offer came from Louisville special teams coach Tony Levine. "It was Thursday night. He called and said 'we decided that we're going to offer you a full scholarship,'" Cunningham said. "I was happy. We went up to camp there this summer. I'd been talking to them about every other week or so."

The No. 9 kicker in the nation said he enjoyed his camp experience at U of L. "Yeah, I liked it up there when I went," he said. "I probably want to take an official visit up there. I like the coaches and the facilities up there."

Cunningham also camped at Air Force, Memphis, Maryland, Purdue, Tennessee and Troy State. He maintains he is "kind of wide open" at this point in the recruiting process.

UPDATE: Cunningham has set his official visit date to Louisville for November 25th.

CattouseFan
11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
At one of its most important positions this recruiting season, Purdue's gotten its man.

Dawsonville, Ga., placekicker Chad Cunningham has committed to Purdue, according to Cunningham's father, Rory.

In Cunningham, Purdue has secured a commitment from the only player it offered a scholarship to in hopes of replacing the departing Ben Jones next season.

Cunningham, who officially visited West Lafayette on the weekend of Oct. 14, attended a camp at Purdue over the summer, after which he was offered. The strong-legged 6-foot-3, 210-pound kicker/quarterback also had offers from Louisville, Maryland, Air Force and Troy State.

Rivals.com rates Cunningham as the nation's ninth-best kicker.

BMarkey
11-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Almost every one of these sites and newspsper articles refers to "Troy State". Are these so-called journalism professionals deaf, dumb and blind?

Come on, writers. Do some freaking homework!

And maybe Troy needs to send a nationwide reminder to every sports writer in the country (UCF did it). It would be inexpensive and couldn't hurt.

As for South Florida recruiting, it must not be happenng much in my area. Coaches I talk to do not seem to know much if anything about Troy and that is a damn shame.

Troy offers a lot that all but the big three schools cannot - a traditinal campus with lots or residential options, small, college town atmosphere, surprisingly friendly people, a big difference from students' hme towns yet relatively close, and the like. Many of the "other" schools (UCF, FAU, USF) are either urban-looking and feeling campuses or majority-commuter schools. They do not have on-campus stadiums. They do not have (but are striving for) that "real" college feeling one can find at Troy, FSU, UF, Auburn, Alabama, etc.

These advantages can be used effectively in recruiting.

Troy's football TV show is on SunSports at 3 p.m. every Thursday. Recruiting can easily build from that half-hour alone.