View Full Version : Faulk, Troy defense out to stop Hackney

TroyTrojanMan
09-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Faulk, Troy defense out to stop Hackney
UAB quarterback to test Trojans when rivals meet on Saturday
Tuesday, September 06, 2005
By TOMMY HICKS
Sports Reporter

Johnny Faulk knows what's coming. Everyone knows what's coming. The biggest question then, when Troy faces in-state rival UAB at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium at 7 p.m. Saturday, is whether the Trojans can stop UAB quarterback Darrell Hackney.

The challenge is the key aspect of what is considered an important game in both camps. Hackney, the Blazers' senior quarterback, threw for 282 yards and a touchdown in last week's 17-10 loss to Tennessee at Neyland Stadium.

Faulk, a senior cornerback who picked off his 10th career interception in the Trojans' 27-10 season-opening win against Cal Poly on Saturday, is the leader of an experienced secondary that recognizes it will be put to the test by Hackney. "We've got our hands full," Faulk, a 5-foot-11, 180-pounder from Dothan, said of the challenge of defending against Hackney. "We've got to try and control him as much as we can and contain him, too. He's a lot smarter quarterback that some of the ones we've faced. He's patient and he reads defenses well. He's a good quarterback, and we know that."

So, too, do many of UAB's opponents, including Tennessee. Hackney was sacked just once by the Vols, who feature one of the highest regarded defensive fronts in the country. He completed 71.1 percent of his throws (27 of 38) and was intercepted once by Tennessee.

With a rushing attack that produced just 53 yards last week, the pressure will likely be on Hackney to make something happen against the Troy defense.

Saturday's game will mark the third time that Hackney has faced Troy. In 2002, UAB won 27-26 in Birmingham, with Hackney passing for one touchdown and 139 yards in limited action (11 of 15). In 2003, Troy got the better of Hackney and the Blazers, winning 20-9 in Birmingham with Hackney being intercepted twice -- one of those by Faulk -- in a 20-of-38 performance for 248 yards but no touchdowns.

"This week we need to limit our mistakes," Hackney said. "I need to focus on my reads more this week. I'm going to get bet ter and help this team.

"Tennessee is over and it's all about Troy this week."

Faulk said he would expect nothing less than Hackney's full attention, and that of the entire UAB team because of the rivalry.

"This is a very big game," Faulk said. "It's big for recruiting and bragging rights. We'll be ready and come out and play hard, just as they will. It's going to be a good game. Everybody is going to get after it.

" It's a big challenge, especially for our defense. We like that. We on the defense know what we've got to do and I feel good about our defense as a whole. We want to try and set the tone for the game and for our team."

Troy's defense set a tone in its season-opening victory. The Trojans allowed Cal Poly just 139 total yards that was divided into 71 rushing yards (on 36 carries) and 68 passing yards (on 10-of-16 passing, with Faulk's interception).

Faulk was a big part of the Troy defensive stand. Aside from his interception -- his sixth in his past 13 games -- he also had four tackles, including two for a loss. He has 193 tackles, 20 tackles for a loss, 10 interceptions and 24 pass breakups in his Troy career, a career that has found him in the starting lineup for all 37 games he has played for the school.

With the departure of Derrick Ansley in the secondary -- who had 19 career interceptions -- Faulk has been given the leadership role of the group. That leadership will be called upon Saturday and the remainder of the season.

"This season, it's important that we get off to a good start," Faulk said. "I think we'll be ready to play (Saturday night)."

Blazer85
09-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Good article.

FRED_of_TROY
09-07-2005, 09:50 AM
If it weren't for Tommy Hicks, Troy wouldn't ever get anything more than an AP article burried in the sports section of the Mobile Register.

Thanks again, Tommy!

faithintsu
09-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Anyone else have a e-mail for him?

BMarkey
09-07-2005, 12:57 PM
He replies to all of my e-mails. Nice guy.

thicks@mobileregister.com

ksdtrojan
09-08-2005, 08:04 AM
good article

I didn't realize that Faulk has started every game of his college career. Impressive!!!

Blzer4life
09-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Nice article.