PDA

View Full Version : USA Today gamenotes

CattouseFan
09-06-2005, 08:54 AM
TROY STATE

INSIDE SLANT
Seven starters are gone on defense, included first-round draft pick Demarcus Ware and the rest of the front four.

However, defense was again the difference in the Trojans 27-10 season-opening win over Cal-Poly last week. Troy allowed only seven first downs and a mere 139 yards in total offense.

It looked like a rout from the outset as Troy jumped out to a 17-0 lead, only to see Cal-Poly scored 10 points just before halftime.

Troy also lost eight starters on offense and went with a first-year starter in quarterback Carl Meadows, who threw for 213 yards and a touchdown. The passing game was Troy's weakness last year, but Meadows should alleviate those concerns this year.

"I didn't feel like it was my best game," Meadows told the Dothan Eagle. "I missed some checks and missed a couple of wide open receivers, but it's a game to build on and learn from."

"I looked in Carl's eyes all night and thought that No. 1, he's a tough guy," Troy coach Larry Blakeney told the Dothan Eagle. "He took some shots and missed some receivers, but he stood tall and did an admirable job. There's a few throws he'd like to have back, but he'll get better."

While most Sun Belt teams were playing guaranteed money games last week, Cal-Poly was probably the ideal opponent for Troy considering all the starters it has to replace. Additionally, it gave the Trojans a good tune-up for this week's highly anticipated game against in-state foe UAB.

NOTES, QUOTES
GAME BALL GOES TO: DL Torre Lankford The senior had a team-high six tackles, including two for a loss and a sack against Cal-Poly.

KEEP AN EYE ON: WR James Banks The sophomore caught a team-high five passes for 63 yards and a touchdown against Cal-Poly. Banks figures to be more involved in the offense because the Trojans will likely throw the ball more this season.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I told the guys that some wins are a lot like their girlfriends in that they aren't very pretty. We'll take it and mark it down and get ready for the next one." Troy coach Larry Blakeney told the Dothan Eagle after the Trojans 27-10 victory over Cal-Poly.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
LOOKING GOOD: Troy's defense allowed only seven first downs and 139 yards in total offense against Cal-Poly last week. Also, special teams play was excellent as Troy snuffed out two fake punts.

STILL NEEDS SOME WORK: The offensive line needs to do a better job protecting quarterback Carl Meadows, who was sacked five times. While the passing game showed signs of improvement, the offense was a little shaky in the season opener.

ROSTER REPORT: The Trojans had nine first time starters in its season opener LB Marcus Richardson, DE Larry Brown, DE Kenny Mainor, DT David Tramble, QB Carl Meadows, WR Gary Banks, RB Joel Whinghter, C Zech Yenser and TE Josh Pruitt.

faithintsu
09-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I agree totally we need help on the O-Line - ecspecially Rob Austin. I know he is a converted TE, but he had a horrible game IMHO.

tsugrad89
09-06-2005, 11:57 AM
the OL played pretty bad, but won't see anything like that again. That was a weird, weird front. Hopefully Austin can get better.

Nice Trojan
09-06-2005, 01:21 PM
TROY STATE

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I told the guys that some wins are a lot like their girlfriends in that they aren't very pretty. We'll take it and mark it down and get ready for the next one." Troy coach Larry Blakeney told the Dothan Eagle after the Trojans 27-10 victory over Cal-Poly.

I love it.....

tntrojan
09-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Coach Blakeney is turning into a regular Yogi Berra. :)

BMarkey
09-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Hello, USA Today!

If you want to be taken seriously, do enough homework on each team to accurately publish its name!