PDA

View Full Version : Any Body Have... ?

Possum
08-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Does anybody have a copy of the TROY STATE Alma Mater, preferably in CD form... Also, does anybody have a copy of the Sound playing DIXIE?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JPSousa1898
08-13-2011, 12:51 AM
You need the Long Legacy CD to hear the old Alma Mater, 1988 SOTS recording with the old Westminister chimes intro.

I put the vocal parts into Finale a few years ago as an undergrad and I can send that to you in PDF and as an audio file.

As for Dixie, you can find the 1965 SOTS playing it on The Best of the Sound Vol. 1 with the 8 measure drum break in it that was later taken out and can be found on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8oRLvYOVPE

If you contact Monique Crawley in the band office, she will be happy to sell you both discs for a very reasonable price.

Cheers! :eatdrink004:

moosicman
08-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Somebody should put "Letter I" on YouTube.

JPSousa1898
08-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Shoot Mr. Ford a Facebook message. He was doing a lot of that.

redwaver
08-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Wow, why don't we still play this version of Dixie? Is it not considered politically incorrect? Great version by the SOTS!

JPSousa1898
08-15-2011, 02:58 PM
There have been a few concerned people who do not feel that Dixie is the most PC thing to play. That's why it's no longer the fight song and why the SOTS no longer plays it.

redwaver
08-15-2011, 05:36 PM
There have been a few concerned people who do not feel that Dixie is the most PC thing to play. That's why it's no longer the fight song and why the SOTS no longer plays it.
May the saints above be with us , will we EVER reach a point where we don't have to destroy, ignore, filter, or water down our history. What is it about that song that is improper. Not the lyrics, not the beat...must be the area it speaks of. Maybe it is politically incorrect to be from Dixie! Let me attempt to understand this, "Dixie" is politically incorrect in the eyes of some dignitaries but Rap with it's killing, sexual perversion, disrespecting of authority and degrading of women is politically "correct"? Whoa! What about German tunes or maybe that Yankee number, "Yankee Doodle Dandy". Somewhere in my 70 years I must have missed something....what ever happened to common sense!

JPSousa1898
08-18-2011, 01:30 AM
redwaver, if I had an answer to that, there'd be a LOT of overturned court decisions.

IMO, we've become so litigious that if ONE person gets SLIGHTLY offended anymore, they can have their way with a good enough lawyer and a sympathetic enough jury.

You and I see a song about good times and a simpler time, but those easily offended people feel that it conjures images of hate, bigotry, and racism. They convinced a jury of their peers that this what most people believe as well.

It's sad, but true.

MusicMan
08-18-2011, 09:43 PM
May the saints above be with us , will we EVER reach a point where we don't have to destroy, ignore, filter, or water down our history. What is it about that song that is improper. Not the lyrics, not the beat...must be the area it speaks of. Maybe it is politically incorrect to be from Dixie! Let me attempt to understand this, "Dixie" is politically incorrect in the eyes of some dignitaries but Rap with it's killing, sexual perversion, disrespecting of authority and degrading of women is politically "correct"? Whoa! What about German tunes or maybe that Yankee number, "Yankee Doodle Dandy". Somewhere in my 70 years I must have missed something....what ever happened to common sense!

The government took over

redwaver
08-19-2011, 08:20 AM
The government took over
I hear that and from the look of things, they need to give it back to somebody who has a clue!!! If we can ever figure out that we are all Americans, just Americans, and agree that, as in all histories, we have not always been right in what we did. When we take the time to realize that folks have been trying for years in a 1000 ways to say "we regret what we did", then MAYBE this country will heal and get on with being the great country that it is. For some you can never do enough, never apologize enough or never give back enough advantages that they will be satisfied so someone with common sense has to say "life has to go on" and do it. So to appease them, we prohibit a song. What about the color grey? Lets prohibit it. Lets make it illegal to use southern slang. Can we all get music eliminated that reminds each of us of something hurtful? Not a chance. It's just getting old. Dixie is a great tune and it was a true Troy tradition for years and it gripes me that some higher up can do that with a clear conscience and therefore imply that Dixie= bad ; Rap=good ..........UNBELIEVABLE!!! Oh, this position is probably not politically correct either but I don't give a hoot! Go Trojans and we are ALL Trojans...as in one...just one....undivided as it should be!

FliryVorru
08-19-2011, 07:09 PM
What is it about that song that is improper. Not the lyrics, not the beat...must be the area it speaks of. Maybe it is politically incorrect to be from Dixie!

Let me say this first: I agree with you completely. I personally think it's harmless and as a teacher I've had class discussions about this song with my class. On the whole, students (black and white alike) don't seem to care. Most like the song proper, in fact. That said, if I were to guess as to why we changed it it'd be for two reasons:

1) "Dixie" was popularized around the Civil War era. That in and of itself isn't the problem. The problem is the way it was popularized, and that was through white people performing it in blackface more often than not. It was done this way a lot and most notably by Al Jolson (some of his stuff is on YouTube). It happened this way even up through the 1940's.

2) There's a recurring line in our Dixie fight song from another song called "Old Folks At Home" (some people call it "Down on the Suwanee River"). This song's a bit more derogatory in flavor, with colorful references to "darkies" thrown in.

That's all I got. I suppose I can understand why we don't have it as our fight song. Racist references are tough to argue against. Fair enough. But for people to stop playing songs like these completely just because of 150 year old sentiments..... that's stretching it.

TroyTuba
08-20-2011, 11:22 PM
I suppose it takes one person to be offended and it makes people nervous and fear of negative public imagery will make them change quickly. I think you hit the nail on the head, though.

JPSousa1898
08-22-2011, 12:30 AM
I suppose it takes one person to be offended and it makes people nervous and fear of negative public imagery will make them change quickly. I think you hit the nail on the head, though.

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head! Sad isn't it? Makes you think the power our words really do have?

Back to the original point... Yes I have recordings of both the old Alma Mater and Dixie available as do a lot of SOTS members. I also have sheet music of the old Alma Mater which I do not mind making available to others.

BDM88
09-04-2011, 09:59 AM
What I would like it to get is A copy of DixieTrojans. The Combined Fight Song When I was there. I had it on Cassette but it does not play well anymore.

And BTW wasn't Dixie Written By a African American?

Possum
09-04-2011, 10:13 AM
No, it was written by a yankee...

FliryVorru
09-04-2011, 01:44 PM
No, it was written by a yankee...

Yeah. Nobody's 100% sure who wrote it, but in all likelihood is was written by a guy named Daniel Emmett (sp?). I was to say he was from Indiana or Ohio or something like that... but I'm too lazy to Google it. I'm sure Wikipedia has some insight on the matter.

TroyTuba
09-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah, there is a 100% accurate source of information.....come on Robert!!!

JPSousa1898
09-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Dixie is attributed to black-face minstrel Daniel Decatur Emmett for sure.

He is also known to have wrote other songs according to the website that promotes the arts festival named after him.

Here's the link: http://www.danemmett.org/

Here's a link from the Songwriters' Hall of Fame that details more about him.

http://www.songwritershalloffame.org/exhibits/C196

FliryVorru
09-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah, there is a 100% accurate source of information.....come on Robert!!!

See what happens when I rely on memory? Shoulda just Googled it and sounded smart...

JPSousa1898
09-06-2011, 12:38 AM
What I would like it to get is A copy of DixieTrojans. The Combined Fight Song When I was there. I had it on Cassette but it does not play well anymore.

And BTW wasn't Dixie Written By a African American?

I don't have it, but you might talk to Ralph Ford. I am sure he can get you a copy.