PDA

View Full Version : Stand Tunes - What do you want to hear

bulldogtrojan
07-23-2011, 03:53 PM
My wish list - keep Poker Face, bring back Krypton Fanfare for the end of the games we are going to win, and for a new tune - the theme from the Jetsons. Can you just hear some kicking trumpets on that?

TrojanWarrior418
07-23-2011, 04:15 PM
I've always loved the EPSN theme we've done as well as Are You From Dixie?

BleedingCardinal
07-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes!! Krypton fanfare!!

moosicman
07-23-2011, 10:15 PM
DEFINITELY Krypton! Play the Gladiator theme more, too. I'm mean, we're Troy so it only goes so well and sounds SO ominous and threatening. KEEP AWAY FROM THE THUG RAP SONGS THAT I HEAR BANDS DOING THESE DAYS AND THINK I MAY HAVE EVEN HEARD THE SOTS DO ONCE OR TWICE!!!!

TroyFootball05
07-24-2011, 08:56 AM
DEFINITELY Krypton! Play the Gladiator theme more, too. I'm mean, we're Troy so it only goes so well and sounds SO ominous and threatening. KEEP AWAY FROM THE THUG RAP SONGS THAT I HEAR BANDS DOING THESE DAYS AND THINK I MAY HAVE EVEN HEARD THE SOTS DO ONCE OR TWICE!!!!

The problem with the Krypton Fanfare is the Concert C in the trumpets. It's the flattest note on the horn and causes a lot of problems. Not a great note for 38 trumpets all trying to play the same double whole note.

moosicman
07-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Being a trumpet player, I'll grant you that. Now. Be good enough to do it! :)

SOTSButterfly
07-24-2011, 06:54 PM
I miss the tuba grooves!!

JPSousa1898
07-25-2011, 02:18 AM
I miss:

The Troy Shuffle- Postgame
Amazing Grace- Postgame
C Jam Blues (we only played it my freshman year)- Postgame
Tuba Grooves (they were fun)

I would like to hear stuff I didn't hear at halftime during the post game concert. Loosing the Shuffle and Amazing Grace at postgame were 2 traditions I hated to see go.

I don't mind the rap stuff, but I would like to have more variety in the folder if possible.

Keep the Stars and Stripes... that's Dr. Long's LARGEST contribution to the band world, getting that march made the national march.

All that being said... this is my opinion and Dr. Walker is the band director and what he picks, I will support.

redwaver
07-25-2011, 07:29 AM
I miss:

The Troy Shuffle- Postgame
Amazing Grace- Postgame
C Jam Blues (we only played it my freshman year)- Postgame
Tuba Grooves (they were fun)

I would like to hear stuff I didn't hear at halftime during the post game concert. Loosing the Shuffle and Amazing Grace at postgame were 2 traditions I hated to see go.

I don't mind the rap stuff, but I would like to have more variety in the folder if possible.

Keep the Stars and Stripes... that's Dr. Long's LARGEST contribution to the band world, getting that march made the national march.

All that being said... this is my opinion and Dr. Walker is the band director and what he picks, I will support.
Ditch the Rap crap before, during and after the game. There is a lot of music that covers all genres that doesn't carry the negativity Rap does. I don't think you could find 10 fans over the age of 50 who enjoy Rap but there are a lot of tunes out there most everyone can enjoy. The pregame music on the sound system is awful!!!

Carolina Trojan
07-25-2011, 05:53 PM
"Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba - the band used to play this a several years ago and I never really liked this song much until I heard the Sound play it. Great stands tune.

TroyBear
07-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I too hate the cRAP music. :-( Have been tired of it for some time. Don't really know why the same cRAP songs are played every year? Did someone get tired of composing new stuff?

troy4ever21
07-28-2011, 05:28 PM
We only have one rap song in our stand folios... We did have two a few years ago.

moosicman
07-28-2011, 10:23 PM
We only have one rap song in our stand folios... We did have two a few years ago.

So one more to go, right? :)

FliryVorru
07-29-2011, 11:52 AM
I too hate the cRAP music. :-( Have been tired of it for some time. Don't really know why the same cRAP songs are played every year? Did someone get tired of composing new stuff?

I agree to an extent. Personally, rap songs aren't particularly appealing. I don't listen to it very much and there's limited harmonizing, etc...

But we gotta remember that the SOTS is playing to a large crowd, many of which enjoy rap. So I guess I was always okay with having the 1-2 songs that appeal to a different audience. Not everyone likes classical or country music either.

TUrocks
08-08-2011, 10:22 AM
"Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba - the band used to play this a several years ago and I never really liked this song much until I heard the Sound play it. Great stands tune.

WOW!!! Not to knock you, but you can't be serious!!! I was in the Sound for a long time and next to Barbie Girl, this was the worst thing we ever played.....so bad I remember sitting this one out in the stands. I guess everyone has their own opinions though.

TroyFootball05
08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
WOW!!! Not to knock you, but you can't be serious!!! I was in the Sound for a long time and next to Barbie Girl, this was the worst thing we ever played.....so bad I remember sitting this one out in the stands. I guess everyone has their own opinions though.

I hate Lady Gaga, very much so. But poker face sounds ballin' when the sound plays it.

moosicman
08-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Lady Gaga

I just threw up in my mouth. And not just a little bit....

redwaver
08-09-2011, 08:05 AM
I agree to an extent. Personally, rap songs aren't particularly appealing. I don't listen to it very much and there's limited harmonizing, etc...

But we gotta remember that the SOTS is playing to a large crowd, many of which enjoy rap. So I guess I was always okay with having the 1-2 songs that appeal to a different audience. Not everyone likes classical or country music either.
What comes to my mind when it comes to music choices for large venues is what messages does that genre of music promote. Most (not all) Rap music is vulgar, racist, promotes violence and is not what a college band should be playing, fans or not. Common sense! There is far too much music that does none of those things so play that. Compare Rap to big band music, movie themes music, marches, golden era music, 50-70's music, etc and there are a lot of choices that cover almost all ages of fans that does not seem to support the vulgarity Rap brings! JMHO!

Bamcubz
08-10-2011, 10:16 AM
To tell you the truth, I'm not a Lady Gaga fan and didn't realize the song "Poker Face" was done by her until my daughter mentioned it.
Its not a bad sond, quite lively. Since I go by myself to the games, I sit as close to my daughter as possible, who's in SOTS, so half the games I ended up sitting in the student section, which was a LOT of fun and they sure enjoyed the music. :bounce012:

TroyTuba
08-12-2011, 10:15 PM
What comes to my mind when it comes to music choices for large venues is what messages does that genre of music promote. Most (not all) Rap music is vulgar, racist, promotes violence and is not what a college band should be playing, fans or not. Common sense! There is far too much music that does none of those things so play that. Compare Rap to big band music, movie themes music, marches, golden era music, 50-70's music, etc and there are a lot of choices that cover almost all ages of fans that does not seem to support the vulgarity Rap brings! JMHO!

My question is this: you post this and then your quote at the bottom of your post says life is too important to take seriously.....help me understand what it is you are saying please.

My take on stand music selections would be to remind everyone that football is, indeed, a violent game and while I am not promoting rap or it's stereotyped message, it does lend itself to hype up the players. With that being said, the band is there to support said players and therefore should not be looked down upon for playing one or even two selections that are of a style that favors the players.
They also play rap, heavy metal, and alternative music through the PA during pregame warm-ups as well.

redwaver
08-13-2011, 01:11 PM
My question is this: you post this and then your quote at the bottom of your post says life is too important to take seriously.....help me understand what it is you are saying please.

My take on stand music selections would be to remind everyone that football is, indeed, a violent game and while I am not promoting rap or it's stereotyped message, it does lend itself to hype up the players. With that being said, the band is there to support said players and therefore should not be looked down upon for playing one or even two selections that are of a style that favors the players.
They also play rap, heavy metal, and alternative music through the PA during pregame warm-ups as well.
Oh, so since I think life is to be viewed a little more ofter through "rose colored glasses" so to speak, I am not suppose to ever have an opinion? WOW! Understanding that is really not a "steep hill to climb"! There are a lot of things I don't particularly enjoy hearing or doing but since I think we should take a deep breath and enjoy life a little more I should never share them. IMHO much/most of Rap "music" by enlarge is vulgar, rude, offensive and distasteful. No one benefits from hearing it especially kids therefore I think that opinion fits nicely with my "signature". Using curse words, talking about killing people, making sexual gestures and remarks is not my way of life more enjoyable but I am an old foggie. If you don't agree, I am wasting my time attempting to explain it any farther. I seriously doubt the administration will worry about mine or your opinions when they make those decisions but it was fun giving my thoughts. Oh, with that "signature" still in place is there anything I can reply to without an inference of hipocracy? Whoa is me....and I haven't been dead for 20 years! :)

redwaver
08-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Oh, so since I think life is to be viewed a little more ofter through "rose colored glasses" so to speak, I am not suppose to ever have an opinion? WOW! Understanding that is really not a "steep hill to climb"! There are a lot of things I don't particularly enjoy hearing or doing but since I think we should take a deep breath and enjoy life a little more I should never share them. IMHO much/most of Rap "music" by enlarge is vulgar, rude, offensive and distasteful. No one benefits from hearing it especially kids therefore I think that opinion fits nicely with my "signature". Using curse words, talking about killing people, making sexual gestures and remarks is not my way of life more enjoyable but I am an old foggie. If you don't agree, I am wasting my time attempting to explain it any farther. I seriously doubt the administration will worry about mine or your opinions when they make those decisions but it was fun giving my thoughts. Oh, with that "signature" still in place is there anything I can reply to without an inference of hipocracy? Whoa is me....and I haven't been dead for 20 years! :)
One other thing, NO ONE "looks down upon" the band for playing whatever. I was a player at Troy and now a fan of 48 years and I will tell you I LOVE the SOTS but as a player, if it is necessary to play "styles of music that favors (certain) players" (whatever that means) then we are in serious trouble as a squad. I don't think I ever heard a player, any player, say (and I coached a lot) that they needed their style of music" played in order to feel support and to play their best. If that is where the answer lies then may the saints be with us!

troy4ever21
08-13-2011, 05:10 PM
We have A LOT of new stand tunes this year. 95% of them aren't rap songs. Y'all will enjoy them. :thumb:

redwaver
08-13-2011, 07:54 PM
We have A LOT of new stand tunes this year. 95% of them aren't rap songs. Y'all will enjoy them. :thumb:
Great...and that fits WITH my "signature"! ")

MusicMan
08-13-2011, 10:20 PM
New arrangement of Give Up The Funk, Battle Themes, Villan's Themes, more Lady GaGa, Vehicle is BACK!, and so many more. These new folio's are really cool and are getting me really excited :D :D :D

moosicman
08-14-2011, 12:43 PM
ugggghhhhh....gaga. despicable...

troy4ever21
08-14-2011, 04:47 PM
People like her/him... Get over it.

moosicman
08-14-2011, 07:38 PM
People can feel free to do as they please. It is for that very reason that I've no need to get over it. Therefore, I will restate with or without you liking it, for you too are free to do as you please....

uuuuggghhh...gaga. despicable.

Poor taste is not against the law and is a direct cause of Jerry Springer, reality tv, and the gaga's of the world.

JPSousa1898
08-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Everyone has an opinion and a nose. Everyone's is different.

I don't agree with everyone's taste, but I can definitely appreciate a great variety! Can't wait to hear the SOTS this year!

TroyTuba
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Oh, so since I think life is to be viewed a little more ofter through "rose colored glasses" so to speak, I am not suppose to ever have an opinion? WOW! Understanding that is really not a "steep hill to climb"!

There are a lot of things I don't particularly enjoy hearing or doing but since I think we should take a deep breath and enjoy life a little more I should never share them. IMHO much/most of Rap "music" by enlarge is vulgar, rude, offensive and distasteful. No one benefits from hearing it especially kids therefore I think that opinion fits nicely with my "signature". = Contradiction. You are taking it toooooooo seriously. Tell me (without looking it up) the names of the rap tunes and the lyrics that the SOTS plays. I have had no less than 10 players in my time at Troy ask if we would play specific songs for the football team - some we did, others we didn't.

Using curse words, talking about killing people, making sexual gestures and remarks is not my way of life more enjoyable but I am an old foggie. If you don't agree, I am wasting my time attempting to explain it any farther. I seriously doubt the administration will worry about mine or your opinions when they make those decisions but it was fun giving my thoughts. Oh, with that "signature" still in place is there anything I can reply to without an inference of hipocracy? Whoa is me....and I haven't been dead for 20 years! :)

Do you feel better now? I was simply trying to understand your comments and tried to connect them to your quote is all. I never said anything about you being allowed to have an opinion. I appreciate your opinion, as you have every right to it, but the diatribe was not necessary because I did not attack you or your opinion. If you felt otherwise, I'm sorry.

TroyTuba
08-19-2011, 10:33 AM
One other thing, NO ONE "looks down upon" the band for playing whatever. I was a player at Troy and now a fan of 48 years and I will tell you I LOVE the SOTS but as a player, if it is necessary to play "styles of music that favors (certain) players" (whatever that means) then we are in serious trouble as a squad. I don't think I ever heard a player, any player, say (and I coached a lot) that they needed their style of music" played in order to feel support and to play their best. If that is where the answer lies then may the saints be with us!

Are you quoting me or putting words in my post? The original, unedited post is there for everyone to see in which I said nothing of what you have quoted. I read that line and shake my head at I what I believe you are trying to infer......

Here is a link to a scientific stduy involving athletes and mood-regulating - citing the use of music to influence the mindset of athletes in numerous circumstances:

http://www.athleticinsight.com/Vol3Iss3/MoodPDF.pdf

I did not say they had to have their music played to feel supported by the band, but simply, the band is trying to support them (and do their part) by playing a variety of music, some of which hopefully appeals to them.

bulldogtrojan
11-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Where is Vehicle? Wasn't that supposed to come back? I need it - it will make me feel better.

SOTSButterfly
11-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Where is Vehicle? Wasn't that supposed to come back? I need it - it will make me feel better.

You'll hear it during the alumni band performance on Saturday. :thumb:

TrojanWarrior418
11-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I find it funny that after all these years complaining about it the Sound of the South played "Seven Nation Army" (twice) and I have not heard anyone (namely Mr. Ho) mention it let alone thank you for it.

TrojanFanatic
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I find it funny that after all these years complaining about it the Sound of the South played "Seven Nation Army" (twice) and I have not heard anyone (namely Mr. Ho) mention it let alone thank you for it.

You mean Ho would have to come on the SOTS forum and thanks somebody? Hell will freeze over first

TroyTuba
11-15-2011, 10:39 PM
I was gonna see how long it took for anybody to say anything........

TroJam
11-15-2011, 11:35 PM
It's hard to pick pop/rock songs for a marching band to play because they don't always translate but here's my list and the links to the marching bands covering them:

Bulls on Parade/Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqG4oSfQYIY

This Too Shall Pass - OK GO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJKythlXAIY

Mr Roboto - Styx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHi1FCyxrW4&feature=related

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jS8rJM9NA&feature=related

Black Dog/Kashmir - Led Zepp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5cpjk9AbXg&feature=related

Sing Sang Sung
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqN2w-PRxbQ&feature=related

Family Guy Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RZizewWaDg&feature=related

BDM88
11-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Mr. Roboto is great but how about Pretty Fly For A White Guy by Offspring! The only real good video I saw on Youtube was from Elementary School band from China. I have heard better versions just none on youtube.

G2gKlrr24w4

Bamcubz
11-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Tomorrow will be the first game I'm going to this year so I look forward to watching and listening to all SOTS will perform. Go Trojans !!!:wave: